Share Your Controversial Darts Opinions

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: Share Your Controversial Darts Opinions

Post by Rogg » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:30 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:53 pm
oche balboa wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:15 pm Not controversial but hey ho

1) Darts isnt as good as it was 10-15 years ago

2) Challenge Tour should be Q School (More cards)

3) Players with Tourcards shouldnt play in the World Youth, And that should be under 21

4) Darts missing Phil Taylor more then people realise/admit
1. You're right it's better. Just you are getting old and don't want to admit it's you that's jaded so easier to say "the game isn't the same". This happens with everything from football to music.

2. Never in a million years. Q school is the ticket to a dream and darts being open to everyone is a huge selling factor of the game. Plus the goal is always to grow the game as much as possible and not everyone especially those from outside of England can afford or would want to or be able to take time off work to travel for multiple weekends in a year. One period of 4-5 days to shoot for the dream is doable for most and clearly works looking at numbers.

3. U-21 at start of calendar year but don't see any reason to exclude tour card holders

4. NO
Very interesting. I know that can only like sarcasm on here but it's not.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:48 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:24 pm - Headshaker was never as good as Taylor, even in 2007.

- Headshaker is not in the top 5 of all-time.

- Burnett was never the best in the world.

- Adams was never a top 3 player.
Not sure any of this is controversial?

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:51 pm

3) Players with Tourcards shouldnt play in the World Youth, And that should be under 21

Quite a lot of people are anti the current Q School system, whilst it would make more sense to do it over a longer period of time like the Challenge Tour, as previously pointed out a large amount of non UK players wouldn’t commit to that over the course of a whole year, where as they can more realistically commit to 4 days, and if they do get a card then they can reassess

I also think if you’re good enough for PDC level there’s no excuse to not win one anyway, if you blame shitty draws than you wasn’t good enough in the first place, Q School is exciting how it is, there’s no way Barry Hearn will adapt such a good money spinner either way

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:02 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:51 pm

Quite a lot of people are anti the current Q School system, whilst it would make more sense to do it over a longer period of time like the Challenge Tour, as previously pointed out a large amount of non UK players wouldn’t commit to that over the course of a whole year, where as they can more realistically commit to 4 days, and if they do get a card then they can reassess

I also think if you’re good enough for PDC level there’s no excuse to not win one anyway, if you blame shitty draws than you wasn’t good enough in the first place, Q School is exciting how it is, there’s no way Barry Hearn will adapt such a good money spinner either way
Disagree especially with the second part of that. I don't see how 4 days are enough. Durrant should have been on his way home had his opponent not missed match darts, that alone could tell you why the current system is flawed. It's basically a longer weekend to determine the fate of 2 years. You win an event that's slightly harder to win than a regular Challenge Tour and you get a card for 2 years. Even doing it in 2 stages (e.g. 2 times 4 day stages) would greatly increase the reliability of the results. It's not just about hard and easy draws, there is standard variation in every players' game and I really don't think 4 days with short format games is enough to sort that out.

My take: Keep Q-School but decrease the number of cards. Hold it in 2 stages or in any other way that's significantly longer than 4 days. Increase tour cards given to Challenge and Development Tours. This all somewhat tilts the balance in the favour of European, and especially UK players, so you could offer tour cards to the winners of the regional tours, with the condition that they have to actually play in the majority of the tour events.
WDF4LIFE

If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:20 pm

The PDC should give players who used to be competitive at the top and still contribute to the sport by commentating or being an invited expert, an invitational Tour Card just like they do in snooker with Jimmy White and Ken Doherty. People like Wayne Mardle, John Part and Mark Webster.
Barney does not fall under this category because he's a wimp and most darts fans don't understand Dutch (he only does RTL7) and therefore he doesn't deserve this privilege if he comes back.

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:50 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:05 pm You can't win a match, let alone a title without deserving it. Simple as that.
Even Wolfie?

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:52 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:05 pm You can't win a match, let alone a title without deserving it. Simple as that.
Even Thornton?

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 pm

wish some of the players championships floor events weren't played with the full 32 seed format.
mix it up a little

Dfc180

Post by Dfc180 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:31 pm

skweezit wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:52 pm wish some of the players championships floor events weren't played with the full 32 seed format.
mix it up a little
I wish the uk open qualifying was the way it used to be. And the world cup was a pairs only event

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:32 pm

The scoring segments on modern boards have become farcically large.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:55 pm

96 Players at the World's is too many.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

ILAD

Post by ILAD » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:25 pm

Tony Eccles is innocent.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:26 pm

Captain Hobo wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:55 pm 96 Players at the World's is too many.
Think I agree with that. From 72 to 96 was too big of a jump.
WDF4LIFE

If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:35 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:02 pm

Disagree especially with the second part of that. I don't see how 4 days are enough. Durrant should have been on his way home had his opponent not missed match darts, that alone could tell you why the current system is flawed. It's basically a longer weekend to determine the fate of 2 years. You win an event that's slightly harder to win than a regular Challenge Tour and you get a card for 2 years. Even doing it in 2 stages (e.g. 2 times 4 day stages) would greatly increase the reliability of the results. It's not just about hard and easy draws, there is standard variation in every players' game and I really don't think 4 days with short format games is enough to sort that out.

My take: Keep Q-School but decrease the number of cards. Hold it in 2 stages or in any other way that's significantly longer than 4 days. Increase tour cards given to Challenge and Development Tours. This all somewhat tilts the balance in the favour of European, and especially UK players, so you could offer tour cards to the winners of the regional tours, with the condition that they have to actually play in the majority of the tour events.
I Agree that it should be held over 2 stages... this would hopefully help the more consistent players in their quest to get a card.
Maybe CT and DT could be awarded 4 or 5 places each. I also don't think there should be 2 automatic cards in the UK QS. It should be winner only, as it is in Euro QS

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:56 pm

I dont blame Hearn or the PDC for framing it as a golden ticket. Challenge Tour over 20-25 would give a better indication of who is more equipped for a tour card then 4 days worth of action. I would make Challenge Tour open to all but capped, And if need be regional qualifiers this would be a better system then Q School
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:51 am

First Round losers on the Pro Tour should receive Prize Money.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:49 am

ILAD wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:25 pm Tony Eccles is innocent.
:lol:

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:37 am

Rogg wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:30 pm

1. You're right it's better. Just you are getting old and don't want to admit it's you that's jaded so easier to say "the game isn't the same". This happens with everything from football to music.

2. Never in a million years. Q school is the ticket to a dream and darts being open to everyone is a huge selling factor of the game. Plus the goal is always to grow the game as much as possible and not everyone especially those from outside of England can afford or would want to or be able to take time off work to travel for multiple weekends in a year. One period of 4-5 days to shoot for the dream is doable for most and clearly works looking at numbers.

3. U-21 at start of calendar year but don't see any reason to exclude tour card holders

4. NO
1 or 2 you mean?
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:39 am

The Thorn wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:02 pm

Who and how many worthy of a mention have fallen through the cracks of Q school to the detriment of the tour?
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:07 am

SuperSwede wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:37 am
Rogg wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:30 pm

4. NO
1 or 2 you mean?
1+4 are great.

The only bit I strongly disagree with is changing the age criteria for the World Youth Champs. Its name may be odd (some responses to it are ridiculously tiresome) but I think the function of that system is development, and so its shape works well. Having relatively older (but still very young in darts terms), more experienced players at the top end to be mingled with and shot at is good. There's always the JDC for anyone needing a more definite 'Youth' title.
not a girl