The Pro Wrestling Thread Sponsored by Bob Ross.

Movies, music and TV
sennafan24

Re: Pro Wrestling

Post by sennafan24 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:24 pm

Jimmi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:13 pm Oh, I don’t dislike RVD, just think he is a tad overrated

This would have been one my Dad recorded for me (much like the year before) and I watched it after school on the Monday
I always thought that most places wouldn’t show WWE Live Events because they wouldn’t be allowed to open that late on a Sunday?
Even more so in the mid 2000’s.

As for the match, it is one of Cena’s great matches and the ECW faithful unsurprisingly wished he’d burn in flames and he does indeed play into it so well

And as I type, it makes me think that Cena is underrated and most people are blinded by the fact he was pushed so hard (and obviously continually for years after), when he’s actually an excellent worker

Also reignited the feud with Edge, which is one my favourites
I dislike RVD as a performer. He's seems okay as a person though.

Riley's in Crewe stayed open on Sunday nights in 2005 and 2006 :) I also watched the 2006 Chamber bout at that venue and the 2005 Great American Bash.

As for Cena, he's absolutely underrated as a worker in some circles. Sure, he had his flaws (his execution could be poor, etc), but he and Arn Anderson were very good at laying out his matches and he could be a very good seller too. He was a big draw as well, before his mega push and the Batista/HHH feud, WWE's business was in the toilet.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Cooking with Sanchez

Post by Cooking with Sanchez » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:24 pm

Fucking love that RvD Cena match.
The Thorn wrote: Be honest Malt sometimes women deserve a slap or 2.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:25 pm

Jimmi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:13 pm Also reignited the feud with Edge, which is one my favourites
Some of the Orton bouts have aged well.

Most notably Summerslam 2007 and Breaking Point 2009.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Deadshot

Post by Deadshot » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:26 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:10 pm
Deadshot wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:07 pm
Jimmi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:03 am People aren’t happy with Rocky :lol:
Egomaniac cunt has ruined everything he's done the past 5 years and now I gather he's buggered up 3 years worth of planning.

Shite in black adam. Baywatch crap, Came into fast and furious right as it went down the swanny. I truly mean this when I say it. The Rock is a parasite. He drains everything he can and then moves onto the next host.
I'm a fan.

He was a fantastic all-rounder during his initial wrestling career.

That said, there is something a bit off about him - https://www.si.com/fannation/mma/ufc/uf ... -mma-story
He was a really good wrestler and in his pomp I was quite a fan but everything after he moved on has turned me off. Basically totally disowned his origin - his career only really took off after he started acknowledging it again and working films remeniscent of wrestling.
And yes there is something off. It's a man who's lied about going to in-n-out, a burger place in the US, for the first time at least 3 times. Very strange man. Pain and Gain was a great film though. Always reminds me of The Arrow who used to post on here.

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:34 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:24 pm
Jimmi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:13 pm Oh, I don’t dislike RVD, just think he is a tad overrated

This would have been one my Dad recorded for me (much like the year before) and I watched it after school on the Monday
I always thought that most places wouldn’t show WWE Live Events because they wouldn’t be allowed to open that late on a Sunday?
Even more so in the mid 2000’s.

As for the match, it is one of Cena’s great matches and the ECW faithful unsurprisingly wished he’d burn in flames and he does indeed play into it so well

And as I type, it makes me think that Cena is underrated and most people are blinded by the fact he was pushed so hard (and obviously continually for years after), when he’s actually an excellent worker

Also reignited the feud with Edge, which is one my favourites
I dislike RVD as a performer. He's seems okay as a person though.

Riley's in Crewe stayed open on Sunday nights in 2005 and 2006 :) I also watched the 2006 Chamber bout at that venue and the 2005 Great American Bash.

As for Cena, he's absolutely underrated as a worker in some circles. Sure, he had his flaws (his execution could be poor, etc), but he and Arn Anderson were very good at laying out his matches and he could be a very good seller too. He was a big draw as well, before his mega push and the Batista/HHH feud, WWE's business was in the toilet.
If there’s one guy in wrestling who isn’t a scumbag, it’s RVD.

Ahh, were they always busy for the wrestling?
Was that the one at New Years Revolution where Edge cashed in his Money in the Bank? (Also taped by my Dad for me)
And the GAB the one where Undertaker did the Last Ride to Muhammad Hassan through the stage? (Watched on Sky Sports in the week after it aired, think it started at 9 and it was the school holidays)

Never knew he had Double A laying out his matches, that would have helped him massively
I think as I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to appreciate Cena a hell of a lot more, both as a human being and as a worker

I’ve been reading Dave Meltzer’s wrestling observer news letters from the late 90’s till 2002 and after Wrestlemania 17, in the following issues, a lot of people stopped watching and people wrote into Dave telling him that would happen after the purchase of WCW

So I’m not surprised that in 03/04, business wasn’t great (2003 + 2004 were two years I didn’t watch, as we didn’t have Sky Sports during that period at home)

“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:35 pm

Egomaniac cunt has ruined everything he's done the past 5 years and now I gather he's buggered up 3 years worth of planning.

Shite in black adam. Baywatch crap, Came into fast and furious right as it went down the swanny. I truly mean this when I say it. The Rock is a parasite. He drains everything he can and then moves onto the next host.
Rock is my all time favourite and I can’t get invested in this
Partly because I’m not a fan of Roman Reigns in the slightest
I read that it’s (apparently) WWE’s way of trying to distant themselves from all of the Vince McMahon stuff that is happening

“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:36 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:25 pm
Jimmi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:13 pm Also reignited the feud with Edge, which is one my favourites
Some of the Orton bouts have aged well.

Most notably Summerslam 2007 and Breaking Point 2009.
Hard to remember which Orton bouts are good because they faced each other so many times :lol:

Cooking with Sanchez

Post by Cooking with Sanchez » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:37 pm

Jimmi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:35 pm

I read that it’s (apparently) WWE’s way of trying to distant themselves from all of the Vince McMahon stuff that is happening
Distancing themselves from McMahon by booking two part timers in the main event of Wrestlemania :lol:
The Thorn wrote: Be honest Malt sometimes women deserve a slap or 2.

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:43 pm

Cooking with Sanchez wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:37 pm
Jimmi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:35 pm

Distancing themselves from McMahon by booking two part timers in the main event of Wrestlemania :lol:
No press is bad press :D

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:55 pm

Jimmi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:34 pm If there’s one guy in wrestling who isn’t a scumbag, it’s RVD.

Was that the one at New Years Revolution where Edge cashed in his Money in the Bank? (Also taped by my Dad for me)
And the GAB the one where Undertaker did the Last Ride to Muhammad Hassan through the stage? (Watched on Sky Sports in the week after it aired, think it started at 9 and it was the school holidays)

Never knew he had Double A laying out his matches, that would have helped him massively
I think as I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to appreciate Cena a hell of a lot more, both as a human being and as a worker

I’ve been reading Dave Meltzer’s wrestling observer news letters from the late 90’s till 2002 and after Wrestlemania 17, in the following issues, a lot of people stopped watching and people wrote into Dave telling him that would happen after the purchase of WCW

So I’m not surprised that in 03/04, business wasn’t great (2003 + 2004 were two years I didn’t watch, as we didn’t have Sky Sports during that period at home)
Were they fuck :) It was usually just me, a few guys I hung around with, perhaps a few others, and a few members of staff.

Aye, Sky Sports actually cut out the Taker/Hassan angle from one of the Smackdowns leading into the events due to the 7/7 bombings. But footage of the angle appeared on Sky's GAB telecast before their bout. I assume Sky couldn't act quick enough to edit it out due to showing it live.

Aye, Arn was Cena's agent - https://wrestletalk.com/news/arn-anders ... -together/ + https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/top ... nt/page/2/

I find Meltzer's articles hit and miss, but I did enjoy reading this article of his from 2001, which I assume you've read - https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/top ... from-2001/. Most of his observations were spot on.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:03 am

sennafan24 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:55 pm
Jimmi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:34 pm If there’s one guy in wrestling who isn’t a scumbag, it’s RVD.

Were they fuck :) It was usually just me, a few guys I hung around with, perhaps a few others, and a few members of staff.

Aye, Sky Sports actually cut out the Taker/Hassan angle from one of the Smackdowns leading into the events due to the 7/7 bombings. But footage of the angle appeared on Sky's GAB telecast before their bout. I assume Sky couldn't act quick enough to edit it out due to showing it live.

Aye, Arn was Cena's agent - https://wrestletalk.com/news/arn-anders ... -together/ + https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/top ... nt/page/2/

I find Meltzer's articles hit and miss, but I did enjoy reading this article of his from 2001, which I assume you've read - https://forums.prowrestlingonly.com/top ... from-2001/. Most of his observations were spot on.
The members of staff were probably thinking “why are we even open for this utter drivel!?”

Ah, yeah, the angle with the blokes in ski masks who came to the ring and started attacking Undertaker?
Hilarious as always of WWE to make Hassan have a “terrorist” gimmick, when the guy who played the character was Canadian

Meltzer of 20-25 years ago mostly got things correct from what I’ve read of the articles
However, not so much these days :lol:

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:14 am

Jimmi wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:43 pm No press is bad press :D
Lesnar being named in the civil suit against Vince didn't surprise me btw.

A friend of mine who ran a pro wrestling merchandise business in the mid 2000s, and had a lot of contacts in the industry and was not a bullshitter, told me that Lesnar had allowed Sable to be "friendly" with Vince off-screen in 2003.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:17 am

sennafan24 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:14 am

A friend of mine who ran a pro wrestling merchandise business in the mid 2000s, and had a lot of contacts in the industry and was not a bullshitter, told me that Lesnar had allowed Sable to be "friendly" with Vince off-screen in 2003.
So not only does Lesnar have some weird piss fetish, he’s also a cuck 😅

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:18 am

Jimmi wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:03 am The members of staff were probably thinking “why are we even open for this utter drivel!?”

Ah, yeah, the angle with the blokes in ski masks who came to the ring and started attacking Undertaker?
Hilarious as always of WWE to make Hassan have a “terrorist” gimmick, when the guy who played the character was Canadian

Meltzer of 20-25 years ago mostly got things correct from what I’ve read of the articles
I think the place was open very late most nights.

Aye, that's the angle. They wrote the Hassan character out of the storyline at the PPV. I assume due to the controversy the angle created.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:19 am

sennafan24 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:18 am
Jimmi wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:03 am The members of staff were probably thinking “why are we even open for this utter drivel!?”

Aye, that's the angle. They wrote the Hassan character out of the storyline at the PPV. I assume due to the controversy the angle created.
Pretty sure they were going to put the World Title on Hassan at Summerslam
How things could have been different for him if not for 7/7

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:22 am

Jimmi wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:17 am

It does appear that Lesnar and Vince did allow one another into their private lives.

Of course, wife/partner swapping isn't illegal in itself. But given past allegations made against Vince, and for which he was fortunate to escape prosecution for - https://deadspin.com/witness-vince-mcma ... 1822642014, it isn't much of a surprise that Vince would be accused of being involved in a sinister form of it.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:39 am

Jimmi wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:19 am

I have a vague memory of reading that Hassan was scheduled to win the title at Summerslam from Batista.

The angle was taped on July 5th, two days before the bombings. WWE elected to air the angle on Network TV in the States on July 7th, only half a day or so after the attacks took place in the UK. They really should have just edited the angle out of the telecast.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:48 am

sennafan24 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:22 am
Jimmi wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:17 am

It does appear that Lesnar and Vince did allow one another into their private lives.

Of course, wife/partner swapping isn't illegal in itself. But given past allegations made against Vince, and for which he was fortunate to escape prosecution for - https://deadspin.com/witness-vince-mcma ... 1822642014, it isn't much of a surprise that Vince would be accused of being involved in a sinister form of it.
And we all thought Vince was playing the character of “Mr McMahon” when he was very much living it to its full extent

Very creepy of him to stare at the store for 45 minutes straight, along with all of the other stuff, of course

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:48 am

sennafan24 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:39 am
Jimmi wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:19 am

I have a vague memory of reading that Hassan was scheduled to win the title at Summerslam from Batista.

The angle was taped on July 5th, two days before the bombings. WWE elected to air the angle on Network TV in the States on July 7th, only half a day or so after the attacks took place in the UK. They really should have just edited the angle out of the telecast.
That sounds like something WCW or TNA would have forgotten to do

Surely someone could have informed Sky Sports beforehand?

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:56 am

Jimmi wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:48 am That sounds like something WCW or TNA would have forgotten to do

Surely someone could have informed Sky Sports beforehand?
Sky Sports aired Smackdown on July 8th with the angle edited out.

But yes, they could have alerted Sky that they planned to re-air the angle on their channel during the live GAB 2005 telecast, which aired in the early hours of July 25th.

Who knows....

Who cares.....