Darts in 2004 - Both Worlds and other events

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Lexington

Re: 2004 PDC World Championship & 2004 BDO World Championship

Post by Lexington » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:07 pm

Remember it well. Shame he then had to retire 'too fat' during the Champion of Champions.
Also a shame he never kept the weight off, but fat people don't get old folks.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:11 pm

Phil Taylor issues challenge to Andy Fordham

Phil "The Power" Taylor would love to take on fellow darts world champion Andy Fordham.

But PDC title-holder Taylor says a match against his BDO rival, nicknamed "The Viking", is unlikely to take place.

"I'd play him every Saturday night," Taylor told Radio Five Live. "It would be great for darts.

"But every year the challenge goes out but the BDO or whoever the powers that be just won't do it."

Fordham clinched his first world title by beating Mervyn King 6-3 on Sunday while Taylor won his 11th world crown by edging past Kevin Painter 7-6 a week earlier.

Taylor considered retiring after his sudden-death win but has vowed to play on.

"I'm not going to retire now, although I was thinking about it, but I am going to cut down," said the Stoke star.

"I can't run around like I used to."
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:15 pm

Martin Fatzmaurice interview before Lakeside

What is your favourite memory of the World Darts Championship at the Lakeside?

It would have to be the nine-darter by Paul Lim in 1990. I was fortunate enough to be referee for that match. It's the first and only time a nine-dart finish has been thrown at the Lakeside.

No-one else can claim to have been the referee. I still wear my same grey suit sometimes.

It must have been a memorable occasion...

Well, it also gave me nightmares. You have little room to manoeuvre up there, and when he hit the final treble 20, it covered double 12, so I couldn't see it directly.

I was hoping he doesn't hit 57, then double 12, but he went and hit 57.

There was no way in the world, with £52,000 riding on one dart, that I was going to move.

So he threw it, the crowd went into bedlam, and I called: "Game, shot..." And it was only then that I checked it was in.

At 2 o'clock in the morning, I woke up in a cold sweat, thinking: 'What if it hadn't gone in?'

What do you say to sceptics who suggest darts isn't a sport?

People who are sceptical have never been to the Lakeside or seen a major darts tournament.

They see the drinking, smoking, the cloth-cap image, but it's not like that at professional level.

In some countries, it's recognised as a sport by the government.

Here, I think it's just snobbery. We have the world champion men's and women's teams. They came home to a cat and dog, while the rugby players are on a different planet.

Hopefully, one day darts will get into the Olympics. I don't think we'll reach the situation where you get million-pound tournaments, but there is scope for a great deal of improvement.

I'm also chief executive of the Players' Association, and we try to explain to players that they have to act like professionals.

Who makes up the players' nicknames?

I do get involved. It's all part and parcel of it.

I gave Co Stompe the nickname Matchstick after he walked into the hospitality room wearing a khaki raincoat and a red woolly hat. He looked like a Swan Vestas match.

The same goes for the women - everyone knows Mieke de Boer as Bambi.

I remember she was 12 years of age, and this little blonde girl came bouncing on stage. I thought she looked like a little Bambi.

The following day, in front of 2,500 people, up went a 4ft high banner with Bambi on it, and someone even threw a little toy Bambi on the stage.

Who is your favourite ever player?

It would have to be Bobby George, who helped me so much when I went full-time.

Bob is probably the greatest player the sport has ever seen, but he doesn't realise how good he was. Even with all the razzamatazz, he lacked self-confidence.

And your tip to win the 2004 tournament?

Raymond Barneveld. In the last 18 months, Barney has probably produced the best darts I've seen in my life.

He's so relaxed now - he's a much better player than when he won his first two Embassy titles. Whoever beats Raymond will win this.

Do you take any interest in the PDC tournament at Purfleet?

None at all. There's a lot of politics that goes on, and a lot of black propaganda. All we want to do is make our system the best possible for a player.

It made me ill a few years ago - I got hepatitis and lost five stone through illness. I had poison pen letters, and it was affecting my family.

I suppose it goes with the territory - being the frontman for the place, you are there to be shot at. But we've had some great fun.

How do you feel before the Lakeside tournament?

Excited. I don't get nervous. This is my 19th tournament, and there is nowhere in the world to compare with walking onto that stage and waiting for the intro music.

The crowd here are brilliant, and it's a lovely way to earn a living.

Interesting

PT13

Post by PT13 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:38 pm

Fordham and Barneveld didn't get on. Fordham talks about it in some depth in his autobiography. Barney was too serious for him apparently, i.e. only cared about winning.

The same criticisms that Fordham used against Barney in his autobiography, Fordham later used against Taylor at the 2015 Grand Slam. Fordham and Taylor had fallen out at a 2013 exhibition in Bradford, an exhibition where Bristow and Barneveld were also involved. Fordham claimed after the exhibition that he had lost all respect for Taylor as a person. Fast forward some two and a half years later and Fordham was saying at the 2015 Grand Slam "I don't really like Phil to tell you the truth". They seemed to get on pretty well 2004-2005 time. Taylor at the 2015 Grand Slam seemed upbeat and ready for a scrap, saying about Fordham "I hope he's practicising hard and I hope he qualifies (for the knockout rounds)". Fordham went out in the group stage (although got 1 match win, over Wayne Jones), while Taylor got to the final against Van Gerwen. Taylor led 7-3 against MvG, but eventually lost 13-16.
Last edited by PT13 on Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:43 pm

Fordham and Bristow had a great friendship IIRC

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:55 pm

PT13 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:38 pm Fordham and Barneveld didn't get on. Fordham talks about it in some depth in his autobiography. Barney was too serious for him apparently, i.e. only cared about winning.

The same criticisms that Fordham used against Barney in his autobiography, Fordham later used against Taylor at the 2015 Grand Slam. Fordham and Taylor had fallen out at a 2013 exhibition in Bradford, an exhibition where Bristow and Barneveld were also involved. Fordham claimed after the exhibition that he had lost all respect for Taylor as a person. Fast forward some two and a half years later and Fordham was saying at the 2015 Grand Slam "I don't really like Phil to tell you the truth". They seemed to get on pretty well 2004-2005 time. Taylor at the 2015 Grand Slam seemed upbeat and ready for a scrap, saying about Fordham "I hope he's practicising hard and I hope he qualifies (for the knockout rounds)". Fordham went out in the group stage (although got 1 match win, over Wayne Jones), while Taylor got to the final against Van Gerwen. Taylor led 7-3 against MvG, but eventually lost 13-16.
Taylor described Fordham as a friend in 2004.

I thought Barney and Fordham also got along until Fordham beat Barney at Lakeside 2004?
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:58 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:55 pm
PT13 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:38 pm Fordham and Barneveld didn't get on. Fordham talks about it in some depth in his autobiography. Barney was too serious for him apparently, i.e. only cared about winning.

I thought Barney and Fordham also got along until Fordham beat Barney at Lakeside 2004?
IIRC Taylor slagged off Fordham for rejecting an invite to the PDC Worlds in 2005, i think he was offered a wildcard

PT13

Post by PT13 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:00 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:55 pm

Fordham actually called Taylor "a wonderful bloke" at the 2005 Masters of Darts. I think Taylor even did the foreword in Fordham's autobiography, which must have been done around 2009 time.

Fordham said in his autobiography that he got on well with Barney around 1994-95 time, but then things changed. It seems that they weren't getting on for years before their famous 2004 Lakeside semi final, where Fordham beat Barney 5-4 after trailing 0-3 and 2-4. Fordham wasn't impressed with Barney's post-match interview where Barney talked of it being like "a spaceship from Mars came down". Barney also shot off home instead of staying for a Lakeside champions' parade before the 2004 final.

Also, Barney's 1998 Embassy run to the title included a match against Fordham, where Barney won 3-2 after trailing 0-2.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:15 pm

PT13 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:00 pm Fordham actually called Taylor "a wonderful bloke" at the 2005 Masters of Darts. I think Taylor even did the foreword in Fordham's autobiography, which must have been done around 2009 time.

Fordham said in his autobiography that he got on well with Barney around 1994-95 time, but then things changed. It seems that they weren't getting on for years before their famous 2004 Lakeside semi final, where Fordham beat Barney 5-4 after trailing 0-3 and 2-4. Fordham wasn't impressed with Barney's post-match interview where Barney talked of it being like "a spaceship from Mars came down". Barney also shot off home instead of staying for a Lakeside champions' parade before the 2004 final.

Also, Barney's 1998 Embassy run to the title included a match against Fordham, where Barney won 3-2 after trailing 0-2.
I have a memory of Fordham stating that Barney or perhaps his wife had slated him in the press.

Calling him an embarrassment of a world champion or something similar.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

PT13

Post by PT13 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:18 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:15 pm
PT13 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:00 pm Fordham actually called Taylor "a wonderful bloke" at the 2005 Masters of Darts. I think Taylor even did the foreword in Fordham's autobiography, which must have been done around 2009 time.

I have a memory of Fordham stating that Barney or perhaps his wife had slated him in the press.

Yes, that rings a bell. I do remember Fordham saying that his wife Jenny didn't really understand darts all that much, while most other dart wives were well into darts, especially Sylvia van Barneveld, who was almost fanatical, talking about standards of play, averages and the like.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:22 pm

Fordham will always be more respected in darting circles than Barney
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:27 pm

PT13 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:18 pm
sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:15 pm

Yes, that rings a bell. I do remember Fordham saying that his wife Jenny didn't really understand darts all that much, while most other dart wives were well into darts, especially Sylvia van Barneveld, who was almost fanatical, talking about standards of play, averages and the like.
Found a source.

It was Barney who apparently made the comment about Fordham being a bad champion. Not his wife.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:38 am

2004 Power Rankings

1. Phil Taylor
2. Andy Fordham
3. Raymond Van Barneveld
4. Mervyn King
5. Kevin Painter
6. Wayne Mardle
7. John Part
8. Tony O'Shea
9. Peter Manley
10. Bob Anderson

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:47 am

oche balboa wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:38 am 2004 Power Rankings

1. Phil Taylor
2. Andy Fordham
3. Raymond Van Barneveld
4. Mervyn King
5. Kevin Painter
6. Wayne Mardle
7. John Part
8. Tony O'Shea
9. Peter Manley
10. Bob Anderson
So the PDC had the outright best player and 6 out of the top 10 best players ;)

Who knows....

Who cares.....

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:49 am

Darts.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:50 am

sennafan24 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:47 am

1. Phil Taylor
2. Andy Fordham
3. Raymond Van Barneveld
4. Mervyn King
5. Kevin Painter
6. Wayne Mardle
7. John Part
8. Tony O'Shea
9. Peter Manley
10. Bob Anderson
Just haha.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:52 am

oche balboa wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:50 am

1. Phil Taylor
2. Andy Fordham
3. Raymond Van Barneveld
4. Mervyn King
5. Kevin Painter
6. Wayne Mardle
7. John Part
8. Tony O'Shea
9. Peter Manley
10. Bob Anderson
Just haha.
I feel the post-split BDO peaked between 2001 and 2004.

By 2005 its decline had started. RVD's defection in 06 accelerated it obviously.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:42 am

sennafan24 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:52 am

1. Phil Taylor
2. Andy Fordham
3. Raymond Van Barneveld
4. Mervyn King
5. Kevin Painter
6. Wayne Mardle
7. John Part
8. Tony O'Shea
9. Peter Manley
10. Bob Anderson
Just haha.

By 2005 its decline had started. RVD's defection in 06 accelerated it obviously.

“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:01 am

Jimmi wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:42 am

1. Phil Taylor
2. Andy Fordham
3. Raymond Van Barneveld
4. Mervyn King
5. Kevin Painter
6. Wayne Mardle
7. John Part
8. Tony O'Shea
9. Peter Manley
10. Bob Anderson
Just haha.

Doh.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:35 am

Jimmi wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 1:42 am

1. Phil Taylor
2. Andy Fordham
3. Raymond Van Barneveld
4. Mervyn King
5. Kevin Painter
6. Wayne Mardle
7. John Part
8. Tony O'Shea
9. Peter Manley
10. Bob Anderson
Just haha.

:lol: