The PDC's biggest sins in the past few years

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
PT13

Re: The PDC's biggest sins in the past few years

Post by PT13 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:17 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:12 pm
thegentle wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:41 pm I watched a replay of Shepherd vs Mardell the other day, it really took me by surprise how quiet the crowd was in that first year of Ally Pally, so it's not an arena of that size which makes crowd control impossible (although it doesn't help). I think it's more the clientele they are aiming for that makes it impossible to get the best of order
I assume by that stage the clientele wasn't that bad. First time I attended the PL in Manchester was 2009. The crowd on that night were well-behaved IIRC.

Fast forward to 2011 and 2012 in the same arena and the crowds were very different. IIRC, football shirts were banned in an attempt to prevent conflicts, but that policy wasn't really effective.
In 2009, I noticed it getting nasty at times with the way that some Premier League crowds were baiting Mervyn King, especially in Newcastle. He lost his cool with them. But yes, by 2011 (most infamously in Glasgow) things were getting much worse, where Adrian Lewis and the walk on girl were drenched in beer and litter, and Gary Anderson was disgusted and embarrassed with the whole crowd's behaviour.

In that 2005-2009 period, it was expected that Premier League crowds would be noisier and rowdier, because that was what the Premier League was portrayed as, but other events were expecting to carry on like before. Instead, Premier League style crowds slowly took over everywhere else, especially as attendances rose. The 2005 Premier League was mostly in towns like Widnes or Taunton, and 2006 in some smaller cities or towns like Newport or Blackburn. Then it progressed to mostly the bigger cities.
Last edited by PT13 on Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:19 pm

PT13 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:17 pm In 2009, I noticed it getting nasty at times with the way that some Premier League crowds were baiting Mervyn King, especially in Newcastle. He lost his cool with them. By yes, by 2011 (most infamously in Glasgow) things were getting much worse, where Adrian Lewis and the walk on girl were drenched in beer and litter, and Gary Anderson was disgusted and embarrassed with the whole crowd's behaviour.
You're right about the abuse King received.

"I thought Sheffield was a darting town"

The 2011 Glasgow fixture is indeed infamous. Perhaps the PL's darkest night?
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:22 pm

PT13 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:17 pm In 2009, I noticed it getting nasty at times with the way that some Premier League crowds were baiting Mervyn King, especially in Newcastle. He lost his cool with them. But yes, by 2011 (most infamously in Glasgow) things were getting much worse, where Adrian Lewis and the walk on girl were drenched in beer and litter, and Gary Anderson was disgusted and embarrassed with the whole crowd's behaviour.

In that 2005-2009 period, it was expected that Premier League crowds would be noisier and rowdier, because that was what the Premier League was portrayed as, but other events were expecting to carry on like before. Instead, Premier League slowly took over everywhere else, especially as attendances rose. The 2005 Premier League was mostly in towns like Widnes or Taunton, and 2006 in some smaller cities or towns like Newport or Blackburn. Then it progressed to mostly the bigger cities.
After jogging my memory, I recall Manley also getting a ton of stick from the crowd during the first ever night of the PL in Stoke.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

PT13

Post by PT13 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:22 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:19 pm
PT13 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:17 pm In 2009, I noticed it getting nasty at times with the way that some Premier League crowds were baiting Mervyn King, especially in Newcastle. He lost his cool with them. By yes, by 2011 (most infamously in Glasgow) things were getting much worse, where Adrian Lewis and the walk on girl were drenched in beer and litter, and Gary Anderson was disgusted and embarrassed with the whole crowd's behaviour.
You're right about the abuse King received.

"I thought Sheffield was a darting town"
"I thought Sheffield was a darting town, but they're just like the rest".
sennafan24 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:19 pmThe 2011 Glasgow fixture is indeed infamous. Perhaps the PL's darkest night?
I think so, yes.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:25 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:22 pm
PT13 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:17 pm In 2009, I noticed it getting nasty at times with the way that some Premier League crowds were baiting Mervyn King, especially in Newcastle. He lost his cool with them. But yes, by 2011 (most infamously in Glasgow) things were getting much worse, where Adrian Lewis and the walk on girl were drenched in beer and litter, and Gary Anderson was disgusted and embarrassed with the whole crowd's behaviour.

In that 2005-2009 period, it was expected that Premier League crowds would be noisier and rowdier, because that was what the Premier League was portrayed as, but other events were expecting to carry on like before. Instead, Premier League slowly took over everywhere else, especially as attendances rose. The 2005 Premier League was mostly in towns like Widnes or Taunton, and 2006 in some smaller cities or towns like Newport or Blackburn. Then it progressed to mostly the bigger cities.
After jogging my memory, I recall Manley also getting a ton of stick from the crowd during the first ever night of the PL in Stoke.
Aye, Peter got some increased stick after the 2002 World Championship final when he didn't shake Phil Taylor's hand. His walk on music, which mostly used "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba (a song of defiance) didn't help matters. He later changed it to "Is This the Way to Amarillo?" by Tony Christie to lighten the hostility a bit and make it more pantomime again.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:26 pm

Does anyone have any serious suggestions on how the PDC can control the crowds at this stage?

Who knows....

Who cares.....

PT13

Post by PT13 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:30 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:26 pm Does anyone have any serious suggestions on how the PDC can control the crowds at this stage?
Good point. It's very hard now. They should have clamped down on it at the time, i.e. 2009 time, but decided it was the new way and pocketed the cash. Also, people in society in general are feeling a financial pinch a lot more today, so their tolerance is lower and hostility higher.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:28 am

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:26 pm Does anyone have any serious suggestions on how the PDC can control the crowds at this stage?
Ban alcohol

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:30 am

Randall wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:28 am
Ban alcohol
I assume attendence figures would plummet.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:32 am

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:30 am
Randall wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:28 am
Ban alcohol
I assume attendence figures would plummet.
There is literally no other way to regulate behaviour
They can stop play every time but they will never finish 1 game

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:12 am

Actually throw out the idiots
Referees have more power (if they have use it, to take the players off)
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Brainbox

Post by Brainbox » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:30 am

If they banned alcohol then they would drink before the games, only way to get around this would be to breathalyse everyone.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:36 am

They don't have people pissed up changing the course of tournaments at snooker, tennis etc

Deadshot

Post by Deadshot » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:15 pm

Justin Credible wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:27 pm
M H wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:all jail the pdc
Wrong forum mate!

my typos are getting worse and ridiculous, that said that did turn out quite funny.

I have no letters visible on my keyboard, they have worn off on a lot of keys, hence why letters like the h j m & n are always getting mixed up
Do we need to get randall a new keyboard ?

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:29 pm

PT13 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:17 pm
thegentle wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:41 pm I watched a replay of Shepherd vs Mardell the other day, it really took me by surprise how quiet the crowd was in that first year of Ally Pally, so it's not an arena of that size which makes crowd control impossible (although it doesn't help). I think it's more the clientele they are aiming for that makes it impossible to get the best of order
I assume by that stage the clientele wasn't that bad. First time I attended the PL in Manchester was 2009. The crowd on that night were well-behaved IIRC.

Fast forward to 2011 and 2012 in the same arena and the crowds were very different. IIRC, football shirts were banned in an attempt to prevent conflicts, but that policy wasn't really effective.
In 2009, I noticed it getting nasty at times with the way that some Premier League crowds were baiting Mervyn King, especially in Newcastle. He lost his cool with them. But yes, by 2011 (most infamously in Glasgow) things were getting much worse, where Adrian Lewis and the walk on girl were drenched in beer and litter, and Gary Anderson was disgusted and embarrassed with the whole crowd's behaviour.

In that 2005-2009 period, it was expected that Premier League crowds would be noisier and rowdier, because that was what the Premier League was portrayed as, but other events were expecting to carry on like before. Instead, Premier League style crowds slowly took over everywhere else, especially as attendances rose. The 2005 Premier League was mostly in towns like Widnes or Taunton, and 2006 in some smaller cities or towns like Newport or Blackburn. Then it progressed to mostly the bigger cities.
People talking about the 'knowledgeable Matchplay crowd' makes me laugh, there really is little difference between events at all, other than where the fans are coming from (I swear every second person I saw in Blackpool the two times I've been there were Rangers fans)

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:31 pm

thegentle wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:29 pm
PT13 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:17 pm

People talking about the 'knowledgeable Matchplay crowd' makes me laugh, there really is little difference between events at all, other than where the fans are coming from (I swear every second person I saw in Blackpool the two times I've been there were Rangers fans)
A vile breed indeed, Rangers fans
WDF4LIFE

If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:27 pm

thegentle wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:29 pm People talking about the 'knowledgeable Matchplay crowd' makes me laugh, there really is little difference between events at all, other than where the fans are coming from (I swear every second person I saw in Blackpool the two times I've been there were Rangers fans)
Years ago John Gwynne commented that the Blackpool crowds comprised mostly of committed darts fans, whereas by comparison the PL crowds comprised mostly of people just there for a laugh.

There probably was some truth to that when he said it.

Now? Not so much.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

PT13

Post by PT13 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:49 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:27 pm
thegentle wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:29 pm People talking about the 'knowledgeable Matchplay crowd' makes me laugh, there really is little difference between events at all, other than where the fans are coming from (I swear every second person I saw in Blackpool the two times I've been there were Rangers fans)
Years ago John Gwynne commented that the Blackpool crowds comprised mostly of committed darts fans, whereas by comparison the PL crowds comprised mostly of people just there for a laugh.

Now? Not so much.
+1

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:51 pm

PT13 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:49 pm
sennafan24 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:27 pm

Now? Not so much.
+1
Shortest PT13 post in living memory
WDF4LIFE

If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it

meetthefeebles

Post by meetthefeebles » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:31 pm

KingBinglin wrote:When you advertise an event as basically being a piss-up then surely there can be little complaint when those attending act like they're on a stag do? The booing and whistling is only to be expected given how they portray the sport. The PDC have let it carry on for so long now they've made a massive rod for their own backs. Actions, such as over the top crowd control, limiting drinking, throwing people out or the players walking off / refusing to play on will be called out as being heavy handed.
Indeed. The reason why the PDC don't do anything about 'the crowd' is because they deliberately target those who might want to be part of 'the crowd' as their target market. These are the people who put all those millions into the PDC coffers.

It's why Porter can glibly declare that 'there are no darts fans'. We (the tiny minority of 'harecore' darts fans) are irrelevant to the PDC business model.

'Proper' darts fans don't pack out Ally Pally ten days before Christmas at a premium price to watch Eurojobber15 play Asianjobber29 in a thrilling battle to see who gets hammered in the next round by an actual ranked darts player. Pissheads, looking for somewhere to drink heavily, sing, shout and act like tits with a chance they might get on the telly do, though.