Boxing

Life would be boring without it!
HalloweenJack

Re: Boxing

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun May 26, 2024 10:13 am

meetthefeebles wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:43 am Good fight last night between Catt and Taylor. Right man clearly won; there was no way to give Taylor more than six rounds. Bellend was ranting shite afterwards. There's no outrage over those cards: Catt clearly won 1-2, 4-6 and 11. Taylor clearly won 7-9. Any judge who gives Catt the remaining three swing rounds gets a 117-111 card.

I had it 116-112
I had it 117-112 as I had one round a draw. There were some close rounds but I was very impressed with Cats jab which controlled much of the fight( he used the triple jab brilliantly )Taylor may have landed more power shots but they had little effect. Cat buzzed Taylor as early as the first and really hurt him in the 11th.
I want Cat to win a world title that was stolen from him 2 years ago. Taylor can have a warm up fight then I can see a trilogy, although I think Cat has Taylor’s number.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sun May 26, 2024 10:44 am

The Thorn wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 9:05 pm Elle Brooke v Paige Vanzant tonight
Great fight ended in a draw

Rematch in August
WDF4LIFE

If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it

shenmue

Post by shenmue » Sun May 26, 2024 6:11 pm

It was beautiful thorny, just as expected.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Tue May 28, 2024 11:07 pm

The 5vs5 card looks very good this coming Saturday. Sadly I will miss most of it as I’m out with some of the lads on a piss up around Chesterfield.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Tue May 28, 2024 11:17 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:07 pm The 5vs5 card looks very good this coming Saturday. Sadly I will miss most of it as I’m out with some of the lads on a piss up around Chesterfield.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

shenmue

Post by shenmue » Wed May 29, 2024 3:19 am

Hope zhang splatters wilder and that dubious gets stopped by the Croatian who was a bit lucky to get a decision vs big bang zhang.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed May 29, 2024 6:18 am

Nice place Chesterfield

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Wed May 29, 2024 8:56 am

Randall wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 6:18 am Nice place Chesterfield
If I bump into John Lowe Saturday night, I shall pass on your regards.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu May 30, 2024 7:48 pm

Fury vs usyk 2 set for December apparently

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu May 30, 2024 8:35 pm

Randall wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:48 pm Fury vs usyk 2 set for December apparently
Meh
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Thu May 30, 2024 8:40 pm

Is there any other genuine contender for the title?

I'd like to see Fury v Joshua just because, but there's nobody in the division except for Fury who can touch Usyk.

I just looked at the heavyweight rankings and jeez the lack of depth is shocking

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu May 30, 2024 8:54 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:40 pm Is there any other genuine contender for the title?

I'd like to see Fury v Joshua just because, but there's nobody in the division except for Fury who can touch Usyk.

I just looked at the heavyweight rankings and jeez the lack of depth is shocking
Hrgovic should he beat Dubois on Saturday. Not that I think he would give Usyk many issues.

But they seem to want to do Joshua vs Hrgovic/Dubois at Wembley for the IBF belt, if not then Joshua vs Wilder.

Personally I just want to see Fury vs Joshua.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Thu May 30, 2024 9:19 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:54 pm
TheMalteseDart wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 8:40 pm Is there any other genuine contender for the title?

Hrgovic should he beat Dubois on Saturday. Not that I think he would give Usyk many issues.

But they seem to want to do Joshua vs Hrgovic/Dubois at Wembley for the IBF belt, if not then Joshua vs Wilder.

Thought Hrgovic's win against Zhang was a bit of a joke, and based on that I assume he's a bit of a bum.

Fury v Joshua is my number 1 too but as ever with boxing I feel like it should've happened 2 or 3 years ago.

Would be harsh on Usyk to have to just sit around for a year inactive, and the fight wasn't a complete landlide that a rematch isn't an interesting prospect. Maybe they could give Usyk a fight against Parker in the meantime. Parker wouldn't get near but it would've kept Usyk active whilst Joshua v Fury happened

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu May 30, 2024 9:35 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:19 pm

Thought Hrgovic's win against Zhang was a bit of a joke, and based on that I assume he's a bit of a bum.

Fury v Joshua is my number 1 too but as ever with boxing I feel like it should've happened 2 or 3 years ago.

Would be harsh on Usyk to have to just sit around for a year inactive, and the fight wasn't a complete landlide that a rematch isn't an interesting prospect. Maybe they could give Usyk a fight against Parker in the meantime. Parker wouldn't get near but it would've kept Usyk active whilst Joshua v Fury happened
I felt Hrgovic lost against Zhang, but he is the mandatory challenger with the IBF. Kabayel is also the WBC's mandatory challenger. Neither would give Usyk any real issues imo, but both would be respectable challengers to keep Usyk busy while Joshua vs Fury occurs, especially the former if he beats Dubois on Saturday.

Really though, I would actually be fine with Usyk retiring at this stage. He has now beaten the best of his era at both CW and HW. He doesn't have anything left to prove. Why not go out on top?

For me, the most exciting bout at heavyweight currently would be Joshua vs Fury. I am actually more interested in it now than a few years ago, when I was certain that Fury would win handily. I still think Fury beats him on points, but I think it would be quite competitive.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Thu May 30, 2024 9:45 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 9:35 pm

I felt Hrgovic lost against Zhang, but he is the mandatory challenger with the IBF. Kabayel is also the WBC's mandatory challenger. Neither would give Usyk any real issues imo, but both would be respectable challengers to keep Usyk busy while Joshua vs Fury occurs, especially the former if he beats Dubois on Saturday.

Really though, I would actually be fine with Usyk retiring at this stage. He has now beaten the best of his era at both CW and HW. He doesn't have anything left to prove. Why not go out on top?

For me, the most exciting bout at heavyweight currently would be Joshua vs Fury. I am actually more interested in it now than a few years ago, when I was certain that Fury would win handily. I still think Fury beats him on points, but I think it would be quite competitive.
Retiring would be a smart move, maybe he will no matter the outcome of this fight in December.

Good point about Fury v Joshua, the odds will definitely be a lot closer now than they would've been a few years ago

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu May 30, 2024 11:27 pm

If Usyk were to retire without rematching Fury, it would taint his legacy somewhat as he signed for 2 fights. Why would he retire though? He will no doubt believe he will win the rematch and will be getting a purse in excess of £80 million if reports are to be believed. I do believe whatever the result in the rematch, he will then probably retire.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu May 30, 2024 11:34 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:27 pm

If Usyk were to retire without rematching Fury, it would taint his legacy somewhat as he signed for 2 fights. Why would he retire though? He will no doubt believe he will win the rematch and will be getting a purse in excess of £80 million if reports are to be believed. I do believe whatever the result in the rematch, he will then probably retire.
It wouldn't taint his legacy at all. The majority of people felt he won the first fight. He really has little to prove.

Obviously the money will sway him to continue, but as a fan I would personally rather he hung them up. He has achieved everything I wanted him to achieve and would prefer he went out on top rather than risk a loss.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu May 30, 2024 11:36 pm

A bit harsh to call Hrgovic a bum, although I’ve seen nothing from him to suggest he is anything special.

Fury and Usyk are contracted to fight and as the first fight was very close and a good fight with twists and turns, it’s an absolute no brainier for me.
Whilst most people thought Usyk won the last fight ( not me) Fury had him looking lost for a few rounds and after round 7 was looming the likely winner. Fair play to Usyk though for coming back. I want to see the best fight each other and Usyk and Fury are undoubtedly the best.
As good as AJ has looked in his last two fights, let’s see him in with someone who will hit him back.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu May 30, 2024 11:41 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:34 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:27 pm

It wouldn't taint his legacy at all. The majority of people felt he won the first fight. He really has little to prove.

Obviously the money will sway him to continue, but as a fan I would personally rather he hung them up. He has achieved everything I wanted him to achieve and would prefer he went out on top rather than risk a loss.
Yes he would go out on top but he would face criticism from people as he signed for 2 fights. If he had beat Fury easily and it was a lopsided decision, there possibly wouldn’t be the same clamour for the rematch. As brilliant as Usyk is, he likes a challenge and is a proper warrior. He knows the only fighter that can beat him is Fury. He has AJs number who only had sporadic moments of success. I never bought the narrative from Hearn that AJ was on his way to stopping Usyk in the 9th of their rematch. Fury took way more damage in rounds 5&6 against Fury than that 9th round against AJ

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu May 30, 2024 11:41 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:36 pm A bit harsh to call Hrgovic a bum, although I’ve seen nothing from him to suggest he is anything special.

Fury and Usyk are contracted to fight and as the first fight was very close and a good fight with twists and turns, it’s an absolute no brainier for me.
Whilst most people thought Usyk won the last fight ( not me) Fury had him looking lost for a few rounds and after round 7 was looming the likely winner. Fair play to Usyk though for coming back. I want to see the best fight each other and Usyk and Fury are undoubtedly the best.
As good as AJ has looked in his last two fights, let’s see him in with someone who will hit him back.

Who knows....

Who cares.....