TV listings from the olden days

Movies, music and TV
Post Reply
User avatar
tungsten tossers
Posts: 136693
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:54 pm

Randall wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:52 pm
Rogg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:47 pm Where was the 88 Olympics?
Ben Johnson ran 9.79
I'd stayed up all night to see it and nodded off 10 minutes before the gun
Was that when he was disqualified?

User avatar
Randall
Site Admin
Posts: 189341
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by Randall » Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:56 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:54 pm
Randall wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:52 pm
Rogg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 7:47 pm Where was the 88 Olympics?
Ben Johnson ran 9.79
I'd stayed up all night to see it and nodded off 10 minutes before the gun
Was that when he was disqualified?
Yes
News broke the next day
Image

User avatar
Rogg
Posts: 69647
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by Rogg » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:06 pm

Saturday 17th September 1988.

The summer(?!) Olympics feature prominently across the channels. This is Day 2 I think.

Elsewhere, a fresh Allo Allo at 7.20pm on BBC1. No episode title but given the short running time and cast it must be somewhere from the middle.

The Last Night of the Proms is live from the Royal Albert Hall.

Blind Date on ITV. Puking. Followed at 8pm by an Agatha Christie. Helen Hayes (who?) plays Miss Marple.

'First Division Special' at 10.55pm. The description gives extreme detail about both clubs involved, stopping short of actually naming them. Ffs.




Image
Image
Image
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image
not a girl

User avatar
Rogg
Posts: 69647
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by Rogg » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:29 pm

not a girl

User avatar
tungsten tossers
Posts: 136693
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:33 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:06 pm Saturday 17th September 1988.

The summer(?!) Olympics feature prominently across the channels. This is Day 2 I think.

Elsewhere, a fresh Allo Allo at 7.20pm on BBC1. No episode title but given the short running time and cast it must be somewhere from the middle.

The Last Night of the Proms is live from the Royal Albert Hall.

Blind Date on ITV. Puking. Followed at 8pm by an Agatha Christie. Helen Hayes (who?) plays Miss Marple.

'First Division Special' at 10.55pm. The description gives extreme detail about both clubs involved, stopping short of actually naming them. Ffs.




Image
Image
Image
Image

Image
Image
Image
Image
How strange to give that much detail and not name the clubs :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Randall
Site Admin
Posts: 189341
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by Randall » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:35 pm

Did not Lewis and Christie also fail them I'm subsequent years?
Image

User avatar
Rogg
Posts: 69647
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by Rogg » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:43 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:33 pm How strange to give that much detail and not name the clubs :lol: :lol:
Haha.

These were the first division results that day, just for curiosity's sake. We're looking for 'A classic north/south confrontation'...

Liverpool 1 - 1 Tottenham
Newcastle 0 - 2 Norwich
QPR 2 - 0 Sheff Wed
Nottm Forest 1 - 1 Derby
Luton 0 - 2 Man Utd
Coventry 3 - 0 Charlton
Arsenal 2 - 2 Southampton
Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Wimbledon
Millwall 2 - 1 Everton
West Ham 2 - 2 Aston Villa
not a girl

User avatar
tungsten tossers
Posts: 136693
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:47 pm

Randall wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:35 pm Did not Lewis and Christie also fail them I'm subsequent years?
Linford did around 1999/2000 but not sure about Lewis

User avatar
tungsten tossers
Posts: 136693
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:49 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:43 pm
tungsten tossers wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:33 pm How strange to give that much detail and not name the clubs :lol: :lol:
Haha.

These were the first division results that day, just for curiosity's sake. We're looking for 'A classic north/south confrontation'...

Liverpool 1 - 1 Tottenham
Newcastle 0 - 2 Norwich
QPR 2 - 0 Sheff Wed
Nottm Forest 1 - 1 Derby
Luton 0 - 2 Man Utd
Coventry 3 - 0 Charlton
Arsenal 2 - 2 Southampton
Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Wimbledon
Millwall 2 - 1 Everton
West Ham 2 - 2 Aston Villa
Got to be Liverpool v Spurs

User avatar
Rogg
Posts: 69647
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by Rogg » Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:58 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:49 pm
Rogg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:43 pm
tungsten tossers wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:33 pm How strange to give that much detail and not name the clubs :lol: :lol:
Haha.

These were the first division results that day, just for curiosity's sake. We're looking for 'A classic north/south confrontation'...

Liverpool 1 - 1 Tottenham
Newcastle 0 - 2 Norwich
QPR 2 - 0 Sheff Wed
Nottm Forest 1 - 1 Derby
Luton 0 - 2 Man Utd
Coventry 3 - 0 Charlton
Arsenal 2 - 2 Southampton
Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Wimbledon
Millwall 2 - 1 Everton
West Ham 2 - 2 Aston Villa
Got to be Liverpool v Spurs
I looked up that game and found this. Martin Tyler is commentating as per the listing so it adds up. Gazza and Waddle playing for Spurs.


not a girl

User avatar
tungsten tossers
Posts: 136693
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by tungsten tossers » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:40 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:58 pm
tungsten tossers wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:49 pm
Rogg wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:43 pm
tungsten tossers wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 8:33 pm How strange to give that much detail and not name the clubs :lol: :lol:
Haha.

These were the first division results that day, just for curiosity's sake. We're looking for 'A classic north/south confrontation'...

Liverpool 1 - 1 Tottenham
Newcastle 0 - 2 Norwich
QPR 2 - 0 Sheff Wed
Nottm Forest 1 - 1 Derby
Luton 0 - 2 Man Utd
Coventry 3 - 0 Charlton
Arsenal 2 - 2 Southampton
Middlesbrough 1 - 0 Wimbledon
Millwall 2 - 1 Everton
West Ham 2 - 2 Aston Villa
Got to be Liverpool v Spurs
I looked up that game and found this. Martin Tyler is commentating as per the listing so it adds up. Gazza and Waddle playing for Spurs.


I wonder what Randy thinks about Grobbelaar ?

User avatar
Randall
Site Admin
Posts: 189341
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by Randall » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:11 am

Preferred clemence or Lawrence
Image

User avatar
tungsten tossers
Posts: 136693
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:32 am

Randall wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:11 am Preferred clemence or Lawrence
Bruce was a bit nuts... great shot stopper but could be a clown at times, similar to David James

User avatar
Randall
Site Admin
Posts: 189341
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by Randall » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:56 am

tungsten tossers wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:32 am
Randall wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:11 am Preferred clemence or Lawrence
Bruce was a bit nuts... great shot stopper but could be a clown at times, similar to David James
Wasn't he done for match fixing?
Image

User avatar
tungsten tossers
Posts: 136693
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:05 am

Randall wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:56 am
tungsten tossers wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:32 am
Randall wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:11 am Preferred clemence or Lawrence
Bruce was a bit nuts... great shot stopper but could be a clown at times, similar to David James
Wasn't he done for match fixing?
He was, but was cleared, but seemed as guilty as fuck

User avatar
Rogg
Posts: 69647
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by Rogg » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:25 am

Wednesday 17th September 1997.

Classic kids' TV with Chucklevision and It's A Mystery.

I remember watching Newcastle v Barcelona. :) funny seeing it in context. ITV, 7.30pm. This is the first matchday of the group stage of the 1997/98 Champions League. All games were on the Wednesday in those days.

The X-Files on BBC1 at a surprisingly reasonable time. Followed by a new series of Chalk, a school sitcom written by future Doctor Who producer Steven Moffatt. I'm going to assume that's vile.

A late 90s letters page. Good luck.



Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
not a girl

User avatar
Randall
Site Admin
Posts: 189341
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by Randall » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:27 am

I've never seen the x files
Image

User avatar
tungsten tossers
Posts: 136693
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:09 pm
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:33 am

Randall wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:27 am I've never seen the x files
Don't think it would be your cup of tea tbh

User avatar
Randall
Site Admin
Posts: 189341
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by Randall » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:37 am

tungsten tossers wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:33 am
Randall wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:27 am I've never seen the x files
Don't think it would be your cup of tea tbh
Often thought to watch it but never gotten round to it
Image

User avatar
Ross, Bob
Posts: 21619
Joined: Sun May 03, 2020 8:55 am
Contact:

Re: TV listings from the olden days

Post by Ross, Bob » Tue Sep 19, 2023 8:40 am

Vicki Midwinter is a victim, just like Russell Brand?
Image

Image

Post Reply
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests