Changes you'd make to the PDC

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
DeepFriedRat

Re: Changes you'd make to the PDC

Post by DeepFriedRat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:25 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:45 pm
Safc wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:40 pm
Ross, Bob wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:35 pm Patience Rat, mate.

PT13 will reply once he's finished masturbating.
:lol: to a picture of Price
What the fuck :lol:

Barney's chief slave. Also severely addicted to The Ferret.

An ultimate jamboree of Lord Hobo-loving, Sexy Joyce worshipping, Smudger smearing, Goldfingering, Beautiful Biscuit bonanza.

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:41 pm
Emulsfier wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:34 pm You deserve that HJ comment for making this thread.
:lol: +1
:lol: The WDF with Warty vs Bo Selecta wasn't on my plan though :lol:

Idk, I feel like the Friday night and Saturday of the UK Open are too rushed atm. Some of the games on Board 3-8 are better than Main Stage. Only because ITV insist on showing Van Gerwen vs Ricky Evans #753.

So either pick better games (which won't happen as they're stubborn) or make the event a couple of days longer.
Last edited by DeepFriedRat on Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

An ultimate jamboree of Lord Hobo-loving, Sexy Joyce worshipping, Smudger smearing, Goldfingering, Beautiful Biscuit bonanza.

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:32 pm

I support the World Cup every 2 years idea, just so it feels fresh every time, and then maybe in the future could allow for a qualifying system between some of the lower tier countries.

I actually think in a non covid year the calendar is close to bang on, good mix of ranking events, non ranking events and a healthy balance of the big tv events to watch, euro tours and pro tours.

Grand Slam needs looking at though as has been discussed a lot on here in terms of who to invite, if it suddenly became a PDC only tournament the only unique thing about it would be the fact there's a group stage, otherwise it's pointless and adds nothing of value to the calendar.

I think the UK Open happening Friday-Sunday and being fast paced with loads of games going on at the same time works really well and adds to the drama

Think keeping World Series events and not bothering with a finals is fine also, the only point of them is to grow the game in different continents so there isn't really a need for an overall winner

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:34 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:32 pm I support the World Cup every 2 years idea, just so it feels fresh every time, and then maybe in the future could allow for a qualifying system between some of the lower tier countries.

I actually think in a non covid year the calendar is close to bang on, good mix of ranking events, non ranking events and a healthy balance of the big tv events to watch, euro tours and pro tours.

Grand Slam needs looking at though as has been discussed a lot on here in terms of who to invite, if it suddenly became a PDC only tournament the only unique thing about it would be the fact there's a group stage, otherwise it's pointless and adds nothing of value to the calendar.

I think the UK Open happening Friday-Sunday and being fast paced with loads of games going on at the same time to work really well and add to the drama

Think keeping World Series events and not bothering with a finals is fine also, the only point of them is to grow the game in different continents so there isn't really a need for an overall winner
The qualification criteria makes the GSOD unique, not the amateurs really. Back then they fit the criteria, but if the amateur game is completely irrelevant they add nothing to the event. If the WDF gets going properly they could get a couple spot but that's it
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:35 pm

DeepFriedRat wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 pm
Emulsfier wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:34 pm You deserve that HJ comment for making this thread.

Idk, I feel like the Friday night and Saturday of the UK Open are too rushed atm. Some of the games on Board 3-8 are better than Main Stage. Only because ITV insist on showing Van Gerwen vs Ricky Evans #753.

So either pick better games (which won't happen as they're stubborn) or make the event a couple of days longer.
I'm not sure I'd want them to drag the first rounds out much longer though. I feel like the choice of 2 boards is definitely an improvement

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:37 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:32 pm I support the World Cup every 2 years idea, just so it feels fresh every time, and then maybe in the future could allow for a qualifying system between some of the lower tier countries.

I think the UK Open happening Friday-Sunday and being fast paced with loads of games going on at the same time works really well and adds to the drama

Normally I'd agree and if the WDF were in a decent state, I think 2-4 spots might be fair...

But the likes of Wayne Warren chucking 70s avg filth over the likes of PC winners Bunting, Dobey and R Smith should be a big no-no.

8 places in the days of Mark Potter, Michel van der Horst and Richie George were a complete embarrassment

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:39 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:35 pm
DeepFriedRat wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 pm

I'm not sure I'd want them to drag the first rounds out much longer though. I feel like the choice of 2 boards is definitely an improvement
Completely agree, sadly we're stuck with Nicholson which is the downside

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:41 pm

DeepFriedRat wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:08 pm A thread like this probanly exists somewhere else but fuck it I'm too lazy to look.

The Olympics thread got me thinking, Covid-aside there haven't been any significant format amendments for majors since the Grand Slam became ranked.

Although a lot of them are going great as always, Matchplay, Grand Prix, Worlds, there are a few changes I think could freshen up the Calendar a bit if the PDC wanted to shake things up....

1. Make the World Cup every two years in odd numbered years.

2. Starting 2022, a new tv event (played every two years in the World Cup spot) with one of the two following formats...

2A. A new pairs event where ranks 1-32 (captains) are drawn with a team mate (shite) with one of the next best 32 on the ProTour OOM.

-First Round- First to 6 legs. Shite vs Shite play first to 3 then captains take over the match until one gets to 6. The captains rely on their teammate to get the best head start.

-Last 32 and Last 16- First to 8 legs (4 switch) and first to 10 (5 switch).

-Quarters, Semis and Finals are solely doubles format. First to 3, 4 and 5 sets respectively.

2B. News of the World reboot with all 128 tour card holders. Anyone who doesn't play is replaced by a CT player.

Top 32 seeded, everyone enters in Round 1. First to 2 legs.
Keep the World Cup every year, after all the PDC do want to see these players from across the world compete regularly, but make it doubles only. Will never happen, they'd be scared shitless one of their golden geese will get knocked out early

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:42 pm

Randall wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:22 pm I'd move away from a money based ranking system
+1

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:43 pm

I like the sound of a NOTW style tournament tbf, could be on the Beeb now that the Champions League is dead (what channel was the original on?)

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:43 pm

DeepFriedRat wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:37 pm

Normally I'd agree and if the WDF were in a decent state, I think 2-4 spots might be fair...

But the likes of Wayne Warren chucking 70s avg filth over the likes of PC winners Bunting, Dobey and R Smith should be a big no-no.

8 places in the days of Mark Potter, Michel van der Horst and Richie George were a complete embarrassment
To be fair, there are a lot of amateurs very capable of going up there and not chucking filth, only issue is most of them are challenge tour players, idk if that would be an issue, but if they play challenge tour and also WDF events and get high enough in the WDF rankings then you could get a lot of good amateurs vying for grand slam spots, think in the Modus the other day all 6 players had a days average of at least 90

That last year or so of BDO invites like Dave Parletti hasn't done the amateur game justice but i wouldn't dismiss the idea of amateurs in the future

Happy to write it off this year but in 2022 we'll hopefully have some sort of established WDF system to go by

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:44 pm

Definitely think about moving some of the events, the Netherlands could do with more TV events, and Germany doesn't need so many Euro Tours, definitely spread them around

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:47 pm

Safc wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:36 pm No suprise who was first to respond
Shock horror, poster comments about darts on a darts forum. :lol:
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:50 pm

thegentle wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:44 pm Definitely think about moving some of the events, the Netherlands could do with more TV events, and Germany doesn't need so many Euro Tours, definitely spread them around
This...

Far too many events in Germany....
Something like the GS or GP in the Netherlands

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:50 pm

thegentle wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:44 pm Definitely think about moving some of the events, the Netherlands could do with more TV events, and Germany doesn't need so many Euro Tours, definitely spread them around
+1.

The German monopoly on Euro Tour and advantages to Max Hopp in particular is sickening

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:53 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:25 pm
Randall wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:22 pm I'd move away from Leicester
Good idea...
+1

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:55 pm

DeepFriedRat wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:50 pm
+1.

The German monopoly on Euro Tour and advantages to Max Hopp in particular is sickening
Hardly matters, Hopp couldn't score in a brothel

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:16 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:55 pm
+1.

Unless his sister is employed there.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:21 pm

Ross, Bob wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:16 pm
+1.

She is

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:22 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:21 pm
Ross, Bob wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:16 pm
+1.

She is
Rumour has it she's a volunteer.