Changes you'd make to the PDC

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
The Thorn

Re: Changes you'd make to the PDC

Post by The Thorn » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:58 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:51 pm
The Thorn wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:47 pm
sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:40 pm
The Thorn wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:20 pm I don't see the issue with a couple WDF qualifiers. As long as it's not a wildcard but based on a qualifying criteria. 30 or 32 PDC players in the field, that makes fuck all difference. Anything better than the jobbing floor qualifiers tbh.
They should scrap the floor qualifiers or at least limit the number of spots they award to them.

But tell me Thorn, what would be the difference between 2 extra PDC floor qualifiers and 2 WDF players?
The qualifying criteria. This is a tournament for people who won something. If there is an amateur world championship (and Masters) in the future, I'd much rather see the winners of those at the Slam than a random floor jobber.
Given that it's a PDC ranking event, it should be for players who won something in the PDC or came close to it.

The solution is to get rid of the floor qualifiers and the wildcards. Players who either win Pro-Tour events, or reach the SF stage of a ranked PDC major, should gain entry in their place.
That would definitely be an improvement over the current system. But I still think 2 WDF places is nothing to complain about. Even with a criteria like yours, they wouldn't fill the 32 spots.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:59 pm

Ross, Bob wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:54 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:52 pm
DeepFriedRat wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:44 pm Floor Qualifiers > WDF/Modus/MAD spots

At least the likes of Gilding and Murnan won through Q-school and play the full tour, unlike former BDO purists like Spineless and Ross the Toss begging for an easy cheque
I don’t think Adams ever went begging for a cheque from the PDC. If he wanted that, he wouldn’t have turned the event down several times. If anything Adams missed out on a fair bit of money with his stubbornness of not participating.
Please die.

Slowly.
“Insightful”
‘Captain Bazball’

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:59 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:56 pm What made the slam unique was due to it being a cross code event. In the early days the BDO players did well, it’s only recently where the results have slipped.
Then why should they resurrect it?

What is the relevance of a cross-code event in 2021? Especially one that counts towards the PDC's OOM?
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 pm

The Thorn wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:58 pm That would definitely be an improvement over the current system. But I still think 2 WDF places is nothing to complain about. Even with a criteria like yours, they wouldn't fill the 32 spots.
They can always broaden the qualifying criteria to include Matchplay/Worlds quarter finalists if they are short of numbers.

I am not necessarily opposed to a new exhibition event where WDF players are given wildcards. Just keep them out of PDC ranking events.
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:04 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:01 pm
The Thorn wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:58 pm That would definitely be an improvement over the current system. But I still think 2 WDF places is nothing to complain about. Even with a criteria like yours, they wouldn't fill the 32 spots.
They can always broaden the qualifying criteria to include Matchplay/Worlds quarter finalists if they are short of numbers.

I am not necessarily opposed to a new exhibition event where WDF players are given wildcards. Just keep them out of PDC ranking events.
I guess so, but that kinda dilutes the whole "winners and finalists" idea.

You know damn well that they wouldn't put those jobbers anywhere near an exbo. Their only place is in the GS because of the event's history and specific qualifying criteria.

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:05 pm

PT13 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:30 pm Kevin McDine was in the 2007 Grand Slam of Darts because he was one of the two wildcard qualifiers, with Chris Mason being the other. McDine was excellent in the tournament, particularly the wins over James Wade (then the most in-form player, alongside Gary Anderson) and Jelle Klaasen. McDine narrowly lost to Andy Hamilton in the semi finals, 12-13, after messing up his last visit to the board. He failed to qualify for the 2008 World Championship regardless, but got to the quarter finals of the 2008 World Matchplay losing to Phil Taylor. After McDine led 3-0 against Dennis Smith at the 2009 World Championship, but eventually lost 3-4, McDine never really seemed the same again, although he still had the odd good TV match win.

In that 2009 World Championship match, Smith hit 32 140+ scores without hitting any 180s.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:10 pm

The Thorn wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:04 pm

You know damn well that they wouldn't put those jobbers anywhere near an exbo. Their only place is in the GS because of the event's history and specific qualifying criteria.
The PDC floor qualifier already does that.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:13 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:10 pm
The Thorn wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:04 pm

The PDC floor qualifier already does that.
That's why I'm saying scrap it lol

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:23 pm

Anyway, I have a new idea for a PDC tournament. It's called for Halloween Jack Contrarian Cup.

It's an invitational event. Invites will be given to players for whom certain members of the TDF forum dislikes. These include Barney, Leighton Bennett, DBG, Wade, Duzza, Mitchell, Pipe, and Hankey. Chris Mason and Nicho will be on commentary, because they are also disliked by most of TDF's regulars. The venue will be listed as Sheffield Arena, but it will be actually be played at the Liverpool Echo. Prize money will be low, as the event's organiser is a Tory and doesn't believe that workers should be paid a decent wage.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:43 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:23 pm Anyway, I have a new idea for a PDC tournament. It's called for Halloween Jack Contrarian Cup.

It's an invitational event. Invites will be given to players for whom certain members of the TDF forum dislikes. These include Barney, Leighton Bennett, DBG, Wade, Duzza, Mitchell, Pipe, and Hankey. Chris Mason and Nicho will be on commentary, because they are also disliked by most of TDF's regulars. The venue will be listed as Sheffield Arena, but it will be actually be played at the Liverpool Echo. Prize money will be low, as the event's organiser is a Tory and doesn't believe that workers should be paid a decent wage.
😂😂 Some of that is very funny to be fair. Have an 8/10 👏👏👏

I’ll invite you as guest of honour.
‘Captain Bazball’

PT13

Post by PT13 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:16 pm

Has the Champions League of Darts gone the way of the Las Vegas Desert Classic?

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:18 pm

PT13 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:16 pm Has the Champions League of Darts gone the way of the Las Vegas Desert Classic?
I hope so :D

Emulsfier

Post by Emulsfier » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:21 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:23 pm Anyway, I have a new idea for a PDC tournament. It's called for Halloween Jack Contrarian Cup.

Calling it a comp of players we hate and not including Michael Shit. Shame on you.

"How are they more hated than me?"
Boring Brendas number one and (almost) only fan.

Smithys number one and (definitely not) only hater.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:22 pm

Emulsfier wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:21 pm

Calling it a comp of players we hate and not including Michael Shit. Shame on you.

You can just give someone a bye instead

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:33 pm

:D

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:52 pm

The Thorn wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:22 pm

You can just give someone a bye instead
It’s my tournament and Smith ain’t getting a bye, in fact if he wins I’ll disqualify him. Anyway I can already tell you Wade will win it.
‘Captain Bazball’

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:05 am

The GSOD shouldnt be ranked.
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:50 pm

oche balboa wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:05 am The GSOD shouldnt be ranked.
Neither should your IQ.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:09 pm

Ross, Bob wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:50 pm
oche balboa wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:05 am The GSOD shouldnt be ranked.
Neither should your IQ.
:lol:

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:39 pm

Bob with a good joke there
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan