WDF World Championship - 1st - 9th January 2022

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
SuperSwede

Re: WDF World Championship - 1st - 9th January 2022

Post by SuperSwede » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:00 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:55 pm Ashdown on securing return of Lakeside as WDF World Championship venue: "It was the number one target"

https://dartsnews.com/wdf/ashdown-on-se ... one-target
The number one target or the only place to go to secure a prizepool? This is my problem, their flagship event is built on sand.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:34 am

SuperSwede wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:32 am
thegentle wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:51 pm
SuperSwede wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:47 pm
cannibal wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:53 am
SuperSwede wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:06 pm ... it kind of feels like they've just given a lick of new paint to a motor that really needed a new engine.
Agree on this point. And this was the time to do it. I still dont understand why they choose the dates to but up against the PDC. Think it would be better to have a time when they are the only darts on. More likely to get better coverage in larger more traditional outlets. Sponsors would be easier to obtain and at better value for the WDF
They would never admit it but they are a bit snookered because of Q-school dates. You need to be as close as possible to those but can't be after. MAD got the sweetspot with early December i think but interestingly their dates for their World Championship in 2022 directly clash with the 2021 dates for the WDF World Masters so that could indicate a turf war and an end to the amateur players being able to play both sides.
I mean, I suppose more darts is never a bad thing, but MAD came about when the BDO was in the shitter and the WDF had yet to really re-establish itself, will they now fade away now that the 'serious' non-PDC stuff is back?
MAD will only grow I think, they are boxing clever in my opinion and are at least owning their status and being innovative.

WDF look like they are just adopting the attitude that they can just rewind time to before Jacklin took over and everything will be fine but while Jacklin definitely accelerated the demise of the BDO it was dying as a model well before he took over.
I kind of get you WRT the WDF, though what else could they have done? It seems now they're clear that they see themselves as the amateur side of the game, not directly competing with the PDC. Also think the move back to Lakeside will be a boost, a lot of the usual suspects will go to watch regardless of who takes part (will probably be a lot of their old faves anyway)

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:44 pm

thegentle wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:34 am
SuperSwede wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:32 am
thegentle wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:51 pm
SuperSwede wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:47 pm
cannibal wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:53 am

Agree on this point. And this was the time to do it. I still dont understand why they choose the dates to but up against the PDC. Think it would be better to have a time when they are the only darts on. More likely to get better coverage in larger more traditional outlets. Sponsors would be easier to obtain and at better value for the WDF
They would never admit it but they are a bit snookered because of Q-school dates. You need to be as close as possible to those but can't be after. MAD got the sweetspot with early December i think but interestingly their dates for their World Championship in 2022 directly clash with the 2021 dates for the WDF World Masters so that could indicate a turf war and an end to the amateur players being able to play both sides.
I mean, I suppose more darts is never a bad thing, but MAD came about when the BDO was in the shitter and the WDF had yet to really re-establish itself, will they now fade away now that the 'serious' non-PDC stuff is back?
MAD will only grow I think, they are boxing clever in my opinion and are at least owning their status and being innovative.

WDF look like they are just adopting the attitude that they can just rewind time to before Jacklin took over and everything will be fine but while Jacklin definitely accelerated the demise of the BDO it was dying as a model well before he took over.
I kind of get you WRT the WDF, though what else could they have done? It seems now they're clear that they see themselves as the amateur side of the game, not directly competing with the PDC. Also think the move back to Lakeside will be a boost, a lot of the usual suspects will go to watch regardless of who takes part (will probably be a lot of their old faves anyway)
Going back to lakeside is just a return to a fake it til you make it attitude. Their World Championships is built on sand, funded by one old man and as a result obligated to be at his venue and therefore closing off almost all revenue opportunities from their flagship event.

They should have started from scratch and grown organically but it feels like they are rushing in a WC this year when they will have barely have had a few months calendar if that.

Let's say Potter is putting up the same money so they can celebrate the glorious return to a £100k winners cheque (doubtful but w/e), what happens when he dies if his next of kin isn't interested or hell even if he falls out with the powers of the WDF again, you go cap in hand back to another random venue and trying to scrape a prizepool together again?

They should have had the rest of this year to get back on their feet and then start in Jan with a full calendar and a full year leading to a WC in 2023 with whatever prizepool is viable for them to be able to make a profit from it commercially. If hey are owning their amateur status (which i've seen no evidence of) then even a £25k first prize is big big money for amateurs.

This is all from a business POV only and I care little about it as a body as it's amateur so if they don't cover it someone else will so whatever and i'll enjoy the darts no matter but it's frustrating to see what in my eyes are basic mistakes being repeated.
Last edited by SuperSwede on Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:51 pm

If it goes back to 100k Warren will never stop crying

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:58 am

WDF isnt constrained by Q school dates. That only affects a few players in the WDF. If a player wants to go PDC then make the sacrifices if not then are they really serious about playing at the top of the game?

The notion that MAD are boxing clever, WTF does that mean? Because they give belts? FFS that is the dumbest thing they do. It isn't clever to copy a trophy style.

WDF at lakeside is the right choice because it is all they have and the best option financially. Stupidswede you seem to think that sponsors are lining up or even care about WDF darts. The reality is they dont and the ones they do arent willing to pay decent. You havent learned anything from the last several years of the BDO fiasco. Yes part of the problem was leadership in the BDO but the WDF isnt any better. The difference is they might be better people morally than the cesspool dwelling scum that has run the BDO. But the reality is WDF and BDO is the same product and that product doesnt have a sizeable market. It is like women's sport another area you dont have a clue about.

Yes you are right lakeside/potter is not the strongest. Position for the long run. But it is the best position for now. It is the only position most likely. But it buys the WDF time to get a better position if they can. Lakeside is the image the ticket holders want as well as the fans who have watched this for years. You don't shit on your best customers when your business is struggling and you havent got a plan or new customers on the horizon.

Your business POV is fucking blind.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Safc

Post by Safc » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:07 am

cannibal wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:58 am WDF isnt constrained by Q school dates. That only affects a few players in the WDF. If a player wants to go PDC then make the sacrifices if not then are they really serious about playing at the top of the game?

The notion that MAD are boxing clever, WTF does that mean? Because they give belts? FFS that is the dumbest thing they do. It isn't clever to copy a trophy style.

WDF at lakeside is the right choice because it is all they have and the best option financially. Stupidswede you seem to think that sponsors are lining up or even care about WDF darts. The reality is they dont and the ones they do arent willing to pay decent. You havent learned anything from the last several years of the BDO fiasco. Yes part of the problem was leadership in the BDO but the WDF isnt any better. The difference is they might be better people morally than the cesspool dwelling scum that has run the BDO. But the reality is WDF and BDO is the same product and that product doesnt have a sizeable market. It is like women's sport another area you dont have a clue about.

Yes you are right lakeside/potter is not the strongest. Position for the long run. But it is the best position for now. It is the only position most likely. But it buys the WDF time to get a better position if they can. Lakeside is the image the ticket holders want as well as the fans who have watched this for years. You don't shit on your best customers when your business is struggling and you havent got a plan or new customers on the horizon.

+1

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:09 am

Wool shops of Surrey are happy at least

Safc

Post by Safc » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:25 am

Randall wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:09 am Wool shops of Surrey are happy at least
And Co Op Funerals for the darts for windows inputting

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:25 pm

cannibal wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:58 am WDF isnt constrained by Q school dates. That only affects a few players in the WDF. If a player wants to go PDC then make the sacrifices if not then are they really serious about playing at the top of the game?

Need a hug?

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:38 pm

Many big questions still to be answered here. I don't think I've missed any announcements.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:24 pm

An announcement of an announcement?