WDF World Championship - 1st - 9th January 2022

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Emulsfier

Re: WDF World Championship - 1st - 9th January 2022

Post by Emulsfier » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:31 pm

Cokehead cunt Burnett will be claiming another "world title".
Boring Brendas number one and (almost) only fan.

Smithys number one and (definitely not) only hater.

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:06 pm

If this doesn’t pretend to be something it isn’t it can still be enjoyable and still mean something, I think people get too hung up on the “World Champion” terminology, we all know that the only true world champ comes from winning the PDC worlds, but the BDO/WDF tournament is still a good achievement to win

Timing is weird though, unless they know the PDC worlds ends before the 1st Jan

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:31 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:06 pm If this doesn’t pretend to be something it isn’t it can still be enjoyable and still mean something, I think people get too hung up on the “World Champion” terminology, we all know that the only true world champ comes from winning the PDC worlds, but the BDO/WDF tournament is still a good achievement to win

I reckon the PDC final will be Jan 3rd
The WDF dates must be down to tv scheduling.
‘Captain Bazball’

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:12 pm

I'm looking forward to the raffle.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:15 pm

Mabbsy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:12 pm I'm looking forward to the raffle.
:lol:

Safc

Post by Safc » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:21 pm

Mabbsy wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:12 pm I'm looking forward to the raffle.
:lol:

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:16 am

Prize money and format... has not appeared here, but this page now exists: https://dartswdf.com/competitions/world ... p-men/2022
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:43 am

TheMalteseDart wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:06 pm If this doesn’t pretend to be something it isn’t it can still be enjoyable and still mean something, I think people get too hung up on the “World Champion” terminology, we all know that the only true world champ comes from winning the PDC worlds, but the BDO/WDF tournament is still a good achievement to win

It's true that it's all in the package and the attitude. I've said before there's nothing automatically funny about any standard of darts. We're all shit at it.

The swaggering, pompous bollocks that came with the BDO from the top down while the whole thing was clearly just a shambles burning to the ground... that is what caused the ridicule.

People know exactly what they're watching and how to grade it so there's no value at all in the bullshitting. If the WDF want their championship to be regarded as equal to the PDC's then they know what happens next. We'll be here, waiting, lol. Just let the thing breathe on its own terms. Or not. We do like the giggles.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:56 am

They've got the format for their youth worlds: https://dartswdf.com/competitions/world ... youth/2022

The final was best of 5 sets when Bennett won it. It's now best of 7 legs. Again, the future seems to be mini games of legplay.
not a girl

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:53 am

SuperSwede wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:06 pm ... it kind of feels like they've just given a lick of new paint to a motor that really needed a new engine.
Agree on this point. And this was the time to do it. I still dont understand why they choose the dates to but up against the PDC. Think it would be better to have a time when they are the only darts on. More likely to get better coverage in larger more traditional outlets. Sponsors would be easier to obtain and at better value for the WDF
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:37 pm

PDC will never finish earlier than Jan 1st I don't think, they like having the first world champion of the new year.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

Safc

Post by Safc » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:43 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:37 pm

PDC will never finish earlier than Jan 1st I don't think, they like having the first world champion of the new year.
This

PDC final will be 1st or 2nd

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:47 pm

cannibal wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:53 am
SuperSwede wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:06 pm ... it kind of feels like they've just given a lick of new paint to a motor that really needed a new engine.
Agree on this point. And this was the time to do it. I still dont understand why they choose the dates to but up against the PDC. Think it would be better to have a time when they are the only darts on. More likely to get better coverage in larger more traditional outlets. Sponsors would be easier to obtain and at better value for the WDF
They would never admit it but they are a bit snookered because of Q-school dates. You need to be as close as possible to those but can't be after. MAD got the sweetspot with early December i think but interestingly their dates for their World Championship in 2022 directly clash with the 2021 dates for the WDF World Masters so that could indicate a turf war and an end to the amateur players being able to play both sides.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:49 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:06 pm Will be interesting to see the prizepools.

They've gotten in ahead of MAD in the land grab but it kind of feels like they've just given a lick of new paint to a motor that really needed a new engine.
I do fear this'll be one for the old farts rather than the young guns, but what could they do to revitalise this tournament other than change the dates slightly? I'm sure there's some kind of answer, I just don't have much imagination lol

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:51 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:47 pm
They would never admit it but they are a bit snookered because of Q-school dates. You need to be as close as possible to those but can't be after. MAD got the sweetspot with early December i think but interestingly their dates for their World Championship in 2022 directly clash with the 2021 dates for the WDF World Masters so that could indicate a turf war and an end to the amateur players being able to play both sides.
I mean, I suppose more darts is never a bad thing, but MAD came about when the BDO was in the shitter and the WDF had yet to really re-establish itself, will they now fade away now that the 'serious' non-PDC stuff is back?

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:52 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:56 am They've got the format for their youth worlds: https://dartswdf.com/competitions/world ... youth/2022

The final was best of 5 sets when Bennett won it. It's now best of 7 legs. Again, the future seems to be mini games of legplay.
Well that's a bit shit, I know the scheduling is tight, but still, with fewer games, I was at least hoping they'd have a proper format for the youths

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:28 am

thegentle wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:52 pm
Rogg wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:56 am They've got the format for their youth worlds: https://dartswdf.com/competitions/world ... youth/2022

Well that's a bit shit, I know the scheduling is tight, but still, with fewer games, I was at least hoping they'd have a proper format for the youths
Indeed. Makes you wonder what the men's event will look like. The men's masters final is best of 13 legs, supposedly. That's... different. It's all mini legplay.

I suspect they want men and women's events to be equal distance as far as possible because that will look good right.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:15 am

No

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:32 am

thegentle wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:51 pm
SuperSwede wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:47 pm
I mean, I suppose more darts is never a bad thing, but MAD came about when the BDO was in the shitter and the WDF had yet to really re-establish itself, will they now fade away now that the 'serious' non-PDC stuff is back?
MAD will only grow I think, they are boxing clever in my opinion and are at least owning their status and being innovative.

WDF look like they are just adopting the attitude that they can just rewind time to before Jacklin took over and everything will be fine but while Jacklin definitely accelerated the demise of the BDO it was dying as a model well before he took over.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:55 pm

Ashdown on securing return of Lakeside as WDF World Championship venue: "It was the number one target"

https://dartsnews.com/wdf/ashdown-on-se ... one-target