Gary Anderson/RVB exbo 27/5/11

How's your arrers going?
Knots & crosses

Post by Knots & crosses » Sat May 28, 2011 10:23 am

Well, that was an adventure!

After a hectic few days sorting tickets, I managed to prise 3 billets on a table for the evenings festivities.

The delightful mr frog and his aunt decided to join me, and after guiding them through the maze that is the concrete metropolis one way system of my home town, we headed to the boozer to warm up and meet the rest of the party.

Pleasantries were exchanged, even after frog found out our host for the evening was a DAB, and after 2 swift pints it was time to move on to the main event of the evening.

Upon arrival, and finding out our table was spitting distance from the stage, we proceeded to abuse the open bar, and throw some darts before the players arrived. Frog obviously thought it was time to wheel out his A game and proceeded to batter in 2 180s and be denied a 3rd because his last dart fell out. I thought better of following that and concentrated on my pint and watching intently for the arrival of the 2011 PL champion, and the 5 time champion of the world.

First impressions of the two, Gary isn't the tallest, and barney isn't as rotund as he seems on camera. Flash photography mayhem ensued, and I snared a pic of frog kneeling for a pic with Gando. The first disappointment of the evening swiftly followed, barney refused any photo opportunity, preferring to wait for the paid photos later. This attitude was not well received, but Gando was more than happy to pose with any and every one who asked, between hitting blind T20s!!!

My learned friend frog attempted banter with both players, with mixed results, and I stuck with the tried and tested 'how good did it feel to GIRFU Lewis last week?' greeted with a very satisfied smile and 'should have won it by more!'.

After a good 45 minutes mixing from Gando, it was time to head through to the tables for the exbo proper to start. The MC came on and gave it big licks and wound the crowd up very well, with lots of "chase the sun" making the atmosphere mongtastic! Once one of the king minds was ritually humiliated on stage for being a twat, the players were brought out through the crowd. The reception for barney was loud and colourful in places with 'barney army' chanted ad nauseum. A quick photo op later and it was time to bring out the man they had really all come to see! House of pain hit the speakers and bedlam broke out. Without doubt, having been in some of the biggest and most populated football stadiums and music venues there are, the noise here was unparalleled, even Gary looked a bit shocked.

It was then time for the darts to start, and barney was up first. I would live to break down how good/bad he was, but I had nipped to the bar to top up our refreshments, and didn't return for almost a full hour!!! Suffice to say I wasn't in the best mood when i actually got to the bar, and froggy came to find me, fearing I had been removed from the premises!!

Fear abated and suitably refreshed, we returned to our seats and avoided paying obscene amounts for Taylor tat in the auction, though due to the actions of an over enthusiastic Hun, a few items were re-auctioned. I'm going to behave and not suggest god got his own back by making him a spesh. The raffle rolled on and frogs auntie cleaned up!

Signed pic, signed shirt and a rather fetching(!) barney watch later, Gando was brought back out to play his selection of locals, led on by a piper to a raucous rendition of Flower of Scotland again raising the roof. It was garys first public appearance since winning the PL apparently, so MH, you didn't see him in Crawley, it was your imagination.

First up to play Gando was our host for the evening, the main sponsor of the event, and it's fair to say jonny didn't disgrace himself at all, whilst still losing comfortably. The next Mong was not so lucky, having listed Lewis as his favourite player he got dogs abuse from the crowd and pretty soundly humiliated on the board. 5 more locals later, a barrel load of abuse and banter had been dished out and Gando even fixed a leg (!) for a lucky local, who was too drunk to notice...

The official photo op came round and frog and I waited for the moment when the line dipped below 100 before making our move, having our pic taken with Gando & barney while holding the original embassy trophy, a very special moment. It was tempered by having to stand beside a clearly grumpy barney, but frogs bigger than me, so if he wanted to stand beside Gando, that's what happened! Upon receiving the pic later, it is apparent the barney has a "photo face" as his "smile" was identical in EVERY photo. The finale was a barney/Gando face off, and Gary had had a few by now! Still popped in a couple of 180s and some great showboating from both for their finishes.

End of the evening came round all too quickly, after nearly 6 hours of great entertainment and fantastic company.

Lewis vs Adams in September, too good an opportunity to miss.....

hang the dj

Post by hang the dj » Sat May 28, 2011 12:12 pm

Good stuff Knots. When you say Gary had a few I assume you mean coffees as we all he really doesn't drink?

Was Barney on the sauce?

M H
Site Admin

Re: Gary Anderson/RVB exbo 27/5/11

Post by M H » Sat May 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Great write up Knots, sounds like a brilliant evening was had by one and all. I've met Gando a few times now and he really is the most easy bloke to get along with.
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Knots & crosses

Post by Knots & crosses » Sat May 28, 2011 12:21 pm

No, I mean Gary had been on the sherbet.

Aye, grumpychops was drinking voddy red bull.

gazman

Post by gazman » Sat May 28, 2011 12:28 pm

Fantastic write up Knots. Any pics?

hang the dj

Post by hang the dj » Sat May 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Knots & crosses wrote:No, I mean Gary had been on the sherbet.

I always held Gary in such high esteem for avoiding the demon drink. I'm gutted to learn this was a lie

Does sound like a great night. Going to see Gando in August

Knots & crosses

Post by Knots & crosses » Sat May 28, 2011 12:34 pm

hang the dj wrote:
Knots & crosses wrote:No, I mean Gary had been on the sherbet.

I always held Gary in such high esteem for avoiding the demon drink. I'm gutted to learn this was a lie

Does sound like a great night. Going to see Gando in August
I don't think Gary was ever teetotal. He just said he preferred coffee these days.

You will love it mate, brilliant night.

DrZoidberg

Post by DrZoidberg » Sat May 28, 2011 1:02 pm

sounds like a fucking awesome night, shame it seems barney was a bit dour, even in scotland.

sounds a quality night though!

Dartfrog

Post by Dartfrog » Sat May 28, 2011 1:41 pm

When i was chucking darts a jokingly said to Barney are you going get Ando back tonight for beating you in the semi final of the PL? to which he replied with a dead pan expression 'im not bothered', the king of craic right there.
Someone stood close to the oche whilst he was about to throw as they were getting a photo with Ando and Barney moaned to a security guy that it was disturbing his throwing ffs.
Anderson was prepared to pose for any photo whilst Barney refused and said the photo time would be later on.
The tubby posty must have seen my ace darts and resigned himself to the fact i am better than him, had the last dart not fallen out the T20 i was on a 141 for a nine darter.

The crowd were very good natured and there was no trouble.
The funniest part of the night was this downs syndrome kid at the table next to us who during the auction put up his hand and bid £80 for a set of Barneys darts, when the compare asked can i see £100? the kid put up his hand again. The compare was like no you have the bid already at £80 so the kid went ok then £55!, they had to reauction them later on.

Anderson was smashed, he mouthed 'im absolutely hammered' more than once as he was asking the lady off stage for water but it turned out to be vodka all the time, he gave his drink to the downs kid on one occasion, i think the kids dad took it off him.

The interaction with Anderson and the local players was very good but Barney looked like he was going through the motions a bit.
The whole event ran way over schedule so the mingling and Q&A sessions got knocked on the head and the match between Gando and Barney only lasted 4 games.
Their standard was very average which was a shame, not alot of 180's although Barney finished a 170 check out.
They were possibly both to pished to put in a high standard.
The compare was excellent value as well i may add.

Great night though and very funny.
Knot's came up trumps and procured VIP tickets for less than half the price so we were the first in the building roughly and we got a free bar and buffet.
Our table was also the very front one next to the stage so we had the best seats in the house.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sat May 28, 2011 3:03 pm

an excellent write up knots mate.

Could never understand why barney is so popular and this report of him only cements my opinions of him

Sounded like a genuine great night tho,
oh ...and did you try hit on frogs aunt ?

Wolflanternbumbag

Post by Wolflanternbumbag » Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:55 am

Gary’s roof rack looked fine
YORKSHIRE GRIT