MVG

Chat and Gossip About Professional and Ever More Farcical BDO Darts
Bennett
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:59 pm
Contact:

MVG

Post by Bennett » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:26 pm

What is it, twelve matches below 100 for him now? Doubling tonight was shit. He hasn't really played properly world-class darts for ages. I'm sure it's just a blip and he'll bounce back, and he's so far ahead in the rankings that he can afford to throw shit for a while. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be anyone who can consistently take advantage - Wright has started to play well again but you can't rely on him not to go to shit again, Anderson probably fit for retirement soon, Cross plays great darts but the killer edge he showed in 2017 and at the 2018 WC has gone.

Can see Durrant beating him in R2.

Any thoughts?

User avatar
Rogg
Posts: 24196
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by Rogg » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:40 pm

Why is it a problem that there isn't one particular player to take advantage? Any player will do and they don't have to be great players, just good on the day.

King beat him at the Open this year. Last year I can barely remember all the people who beat him. It was West at the Euros. Lord Jeffrey did it twice. Gurney in the PC Finals final. Anderson of course. More often than not, somebody will get the job done when he's off.

It could indeed be Durrant this time. Or half a dozen others.
Goldsaddle Goatfish
cnt go round calliNG people cyclops

Bennett
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:59 pm
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by Bennett » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:43 pm

Rogg wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:40 pm
Why is it a problem that there isn't one particular player to take advantage? Any player will do and they don't have to be great players, just good on the day.

King beat him at the Open this year. Last year I can barely remember all the people who beat him. It was West at the Euros. Lord Jeffrey did it twice. Gurney in the PC Finals final. Anderson of course. More often than not, somebody will get the job done when he's off.

It could indeed be Durrant this time. Or half a dozen others.
Aye, that's true.

User avatar
Randall
Moderator
Posts: 79118
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by Randall » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:30 am

The hunger for anything outside the worlds seems to have left him.
Image

User avatar
thegentle
Posts: 5370
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 am
Location: Watford
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by thegentle » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:34 am

Randall wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:30 am
The hunger for anything outside the worlds seems to have left him.
Strange if so, you'd have thought he'd have been bang up for the Matchplay after failing the past two years
'Orns

User avatar
The Thorn
Posts: 10044
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:45 am

He recently said that the Matchplay and the Worlds are his main targets this year. I don't think it's a lack of motivation, at least it wasn't the case yesterday. After such a bad streak, it's not that easy to turn it on again.

miguelking
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:22 pm
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by miguelking » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:19 am

To be fair the scoring was very decent, the finishing was awful.

User avatar
Randall
Moderator
Posts: 79118
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by Randall » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:06 pm

miguelking wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:19 am
To be fair the scoring was very decent, the finishing was awful.
His finishing is often poor.
His scoring being so strong usually saves him.
Beaton the balless bastard was beaten before he started.
If he is that bad tomorrow durrant will beat him.
All the pressure of the game is on mvg.
Image

User avatar
Randall
Moderator
Posts: 79118
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by Randall » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:06 pm

thegentle wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:34 am
Randall wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:30 am
The hunger for anything outside the worlds seems to have left him.
Strange if so, you'd have thought he'd have been bang up for the Matchplay after failing the past two years
Stinking rich, young family, we have seen it before in many sports.
Image

SolidSCB
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:46 am
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by SolidSCB » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:59 pm

I don't see his back holding up forever, that's one. Also if you watch very closely at how he brings the dart up to his face, it isn't anywhere near as clean as it used to be and it's becoming more prominent and noticeable over time. You can predict when he's going to throw a wayward one and it's linked to how he's bringing the dart up into the throw. Once that starts, I've never really seen anyone come back from it to 100% of their potential, and usually it just gets slowly worse over time.

That said, I think he's got at least 2 more World titles left in him before the real decline begins. I think a combination of his B-game being good enough to beat most, along with players completely shitting themselves when he has an off night and letting him off massively - like Beaton yesterday, will help him pick up a few more of the biggest titles before we can start actually saying he might be finished.

But he won't have anywhere near the longevity of Taylor, even if he really, really wanted it.

User avatar
JH01
Posts: 634
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by JH01 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:04 pm

SolidSCB wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:59 pm
I don't see his back holding up forever, that's one. Also if you watch very closely at how he brings the dart up to his face, it isn't anywhere near as clean as it used to be and it's becoming more prominent and noticeable over time. You can predict when he's going to throw a wayward one and it's linked to how he's bringing the dart up into the throw. Once that starts, I've never really seen anyone come back from it to 100% of their potential, and usually it just gets slowly worse over time.

That said, I think he's got at least 2 more World titles left in him before the real decline begins. I think a combination of his B-game being good enough to beat most, along with players completely shitting themselves when he has an off night and letting him off massively - like Beaton yesterday, will help him pick up a few more of the biggest titles before we can start actually saying he might be finished.

But he won't have anywhere near the longevity of Taylor, even if he really, really wanted it.
Spot on. I'm surprised he hasn't had sustained back trouble already.

SolidSCB
Posts: 441
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:46 am
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by SolidSCB » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:08 pm

He's already missed a few tournaments with injury and I do remember one being from his back. You just can't stand at the oche like that and it not have an effect eventually, especially someone who's idea of an active lifestyle is making it to the fire exit 20 times in a night to spark up.

User avatar
PT13
Posts: 2697
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:14 pm
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by PT13 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Van Gerwen has probably overthought things in striving for perfection, a few things went wrong, he got frustrated and has now gotten into a relative rut. At times like that, deep analysis of your own game can be a bad thing. I think the best thing he can do now is relax, don't overthink things and try to play a good standard of darts without putting too much pressure on.

User avatar
Gidra
Posts: 556
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:45 pm
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by Gidra » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:22 pm

If I'm not wrong, he's not throwing 180s as much as before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP2u4wJcnS0

ITG
Posts: 12219
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:57 pm
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by ITG » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:02 am

Like I said on the other thread, I think you will see him lose more often now. The field is just stronger in general which is a major factor, and hes not going to be the same confident beast with increased losses. Hes not coasting games with a 95-96 B game as often as he was say 3-4 years ago. Also have to wonder if hes putting in the hours. Made a fortune and won everything.

I'd imagine he remains number 1, but he isn't quite the invincible force he has been.

User avatar
cannibal
Posts: 6067
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:41 am
Location: Tipping cows in fields Elysian
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by cannibal » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:13 am

Lets see what MvG is made of, is he really a contender for the GOAT or just cleaning up Philths sloppy seconds? If he is truly a great player then he will turn it around get back to smashing the field even as it gets stronger. Phil also faced improving fields and used it to motivate himself and he got better. Think MvG will do the same. He might be in his own head right now and he has some time to just play and really not worry about results. Think by the time the GSOD comes around he will have himself sorted.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

The Big Number
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:41 pm
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by The Big Number » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:49 pm

He's probably the greatest player in terms of breathtaking ability and unbelievable bursts of darts, but he's more likely to go missing for a few legs than Taylor was. The field is undoubtedly stronger now which will make it almost impossible to match Taylor's dominance, and the money he'll have earned already will mean only his own desire for titles will keep him going, he can retire now and live richly.

MVG is the greater talent, Taylor the more dominant but there's context behind it.

User avatar
The Thorn
Posts: 10044
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:06 pm

The Big Number wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:49 pm
He's probably the greatest player in terms of breathtaking ability and unbelievable bursts of darts, but he's more likely to go missing for a few legs than Taylor was. The field is undoubtedly stronger now which will make it almost impossible to match Taylor's dominance, and the money he'll have earned already will mean only his own desire for titles will keep him going, he can retire now and live richly.

MVG is the greater talent, Taylor the more dominant but there's context behind it.
Overall on ability, Taylor is still definitely ahead. Most of MVG's crazy numbers are inflated because of the short format and number of growing tournaments. Not sure what "MVG is the greater talent" means for you, on that subject you'd probably name Lewis or Gando ahead of him. Welcome to the forum BTW.

The Big Number
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:41 pm
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by The Big Number » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:18 pm

The Thorn wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:06 pm
The Big Number wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:49 pm
He's probably the greatest player in terms of breathtaking ability and unbelievable bursts of darts, but he's more likely to go missing for a few legs than Taylor was. The field is undoubtedly stronger now which will make it almost impossible to match Taylor's dominance, and the money he'll have earned already will mean only his own desire for titles will keep him going, he can retire now and live richly.

MVG is the greater talent, Taylor the more dominant but there's context behind it.
Overall on ability, Taylor is still definitely ahead. Most of MVG's crazy numbers are inflated because of the short format and number of growing tournaments. Not sure what "MVG is the greater talent" means for you, on that subject you'd probably name Lewis or Gando ahead of him. Welcome to the forum BTW.
Thank you - Good point re: Lewis and Gando, I think MVG is just a naturally phenomenal darts player and has had that in since being a child, whereas Taylor was a more methodical machine that would grind players down and be ruthless in his quest for greatness and continued dominance. Because of that I think MVG gets lazy at times as he's always been more reliant on pure ability. I also think Taylor has the edge in close games.

User avatar
The Thorn
Posts: 10044
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: MVG

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:23 pm

The Big Number wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:18 pm
The Thorn wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:06 pm
The Big Number wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:49 pm
He's probably the greatest player in terms of breathtaking ability and unbelievable bursts of darts, but he's more likely to go missing for a few legs than Taylor was. The field is undoubtedly stronger now which will make it almost impossible to match Taylor's dominance, and the money he'll have earned already will mean only his own desire for titles will keep him going, he can retire now and live richly.

MVG is the greater talent, Taylor the more dominant but there's context behind it.
Overall on ability, Taylor is still definitely ahead. Most of MVG's crazy numbers are inflated because of the short format and number of growing tournaments. Not sure what "MVG is the greater talent" means for you, on that subject you'd probably name Lewis or Gando ahead of him. Welcome to the forum BTW.
Thank you - Good point re: Lewis and Gando, I think MVG is just a naturally phenomenal darts player and has had that in since being a child, whereas Taylor was a more methodical machine that would grind players down and be ruthless in his quest for greatness and continued dominance. Because of that I think MVG gets lazy at times as he's always been more reliant on pure ability. I also think Taylor has the edge in close games.
Yes, I definitely agree that MVG has more natural talent. Taylor worked incredibly hard, and had a killer mentality, that helped him become the GOAT, along with his talent.

I just wasn't sure whether you meant MVG plays at a higher standard overall than Taylor did. Which is a common misconception and something I totally disagree with.

Post Reply
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Dfc180, Fiss Plaps, ILAD, JH01, thegentle and 21 guests