2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Chat and Gossip About Professional and Ever More Farcical BDO Darts
Randall

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by Randall » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 am

If they struggle to win a prelim and need 25 legs to get through they have zero chance against mvg whether they have 2 hours or 2 weeks.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Captain Hobo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am
The Ginge Reaper wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 pm
We had this moan last year, they arent going to put on a night of just Last 96 games as it would be garbage for ticket sales, so there is no other option.

They are hardly up there playing tennis for five fucking hours are they?
It isn't a big deal, and like Rogg said can be a disadvantage the other way as well, but since they have gone to this format they should absolutely change the 'Defending champ must play on the first night' rule. Makes no sense that only 1 of the Last 96 winners plays 2 games on the 1 night.

Surely the first night would sell out if you put 4 of the most interesting Last 96 games on? This year it could be Duzza, Cadby and Jamie Hughes maybe.
Genius, they could start with the real world champion for a change :)

I think I agree with you. I personally don't want to see the defending champ on opening night anyway. I'd prefer things to warm up for two or three days first, although now it's become a tradition it would maybe seem a bit weird to break it.

Hearn or Porter tweeted last year that they want to guarantee a seed in every session for the sake of the crowd, which explains why they mix Rounds 1 and 2 in the first place. A sensible general idea but there are indeed plenty of ProTour qualifiers who can engage, including former seeds and future seeds. And Barney this year, probably.
Goldsaddle Goatfish
cnt go round calliNG people cyclops

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Aye, they probably could have done opening night without a seed this year. They could have stacked the night with Duzza, Cadby, and perhaps RVB. But I don't think they could do that every year. The likes of Duzza and Cadby will eventually enter the top 32 or lose their appeal.

Nevertheless, I don't think it's a big deal that 1 player had to play twice.
"nature v nuture , kid is surrounded by pricks you end up being one" Fandarts on Leighton Bennett

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:37 pm

I'd prefer if no-one had to play twice on one night because no-one should have to deal with something odd. But it's not automatically good or bad for those involved so just get the feck on with it I say.

There's one occasion I remember where somebody complained about having to play twice on one night. Cannibal will note that we're back to Canadians as it's Jeff Smith at the 2018 Worlds: "I struggled with the long break between my matches." https://dartsnews.com/smith-pdc-world-c ... ip-return/

(95.39) Jeff Smith 2-0 Luke Humphries (88.56)
(100.93) Gary Anderson 3-0 Jeff Smith (78.38)

Ando went 10-11-12 in the second set and would surely have bummed him regardless, let's face it.
Goldsaddle Goatfish
cnt go round calliNG people cyclops

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 pm

Rogg wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:58 pm
Captain Hobo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am
The Ginge Reaper wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 pm
We had this moan last year, they arent going to put on a night of just Last 96 games as it would be garbage for ticket sales, so there is no other option.

They are hardly up there playing tennis for five fucking hours are they?
It isn't a big deal, and like Rogg said can be a disadvantage the other way as well, but since they have gone to this format they should absolutely change the 'Defending champ must play on the first night' rule. Makes no sense that only 1 of the Last 96 winners plays 2 games on the 1 night.

Surely the first night would sell out if you put 4 of the most interesting Last 96 games on? This year it could be Duzza, Cadby and Jamie Hughes maybe.
Genius, they could start with the real world champion for a change :)

I think I agree with you. I personally don't want to see the defending champ on opening night anyway. I'd prefer things to warm up for two or three days first, although now it's become a tradition it would maybe seem a bit weird to break it.

Hearn or Porter tweeted last year that they want to guarantee a seed in every session for the sake of the crowd, which explains why they mix Rounds 1 and 2 in the first place. A sensible general idea but there are indeed plenty of ProTour qualifiers who can engage, including former seeds and future seeds. And Barney this year, probably.
Darts Twitter and the forums will be going mental either way whoever wins that tie!
'Orns

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Rogg wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:37 pm
I'd prefer if no-one had to play twice on one night because no-one should have to deal with something odd. But it's not automatically good or bad for those involved so just get the feck on with it I say.

There's one occasion I remember where somebody complained about having to play twice on one night. Cannibal will note that we're back to Canadians as it's Jeff Smith at the 2018 Worlds: "I struggled with the long break between my matches." https://dartsnews.com/smith-pdc-world-c ... ip-return/

(95.39) Jeff Smith 2-0 Luke Humphries (88.56)
(100.93) Gary Anderson 3-0 Jeff Smith (78.38)

Ando went 10-11-12 in the second set and would surely have bummed him regardless, let's face it.
So did he struggle with the long break, or playing two games? Those are kinda opposites of each other, and it's not too clear. Seems more of an excuse.