2019 European Tour

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: 2019 European Tour

Post by Rogg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 am

JH01 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:25 pm
Rogg wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:02 pm
SolidSCB wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:00 pm The multi-round format needs to die a death in anything other than the UK, Prem Finals and those shitty World Series things they do.
If it were possible to stretch out the European Championship and PC Finals into 7+ day events then I suspect it would be happening already. Multi-round formats squashed into long weekends are clearly practical and tick loads of boxes for the parties involved.

Players who struggle to navigate them are welcome to experiment and learn.
Move the Grand Slam to September, ditch the Champions League. Job done.
The Champions League itself is moving to September, as it goes. Anyway I have no problem with playing multiple rounds in a day.

So if you're the PDC chairman and the BBC offer you 16 hours of live coverage, what would you give them? Presumably you wouldn't tell them to get stuffed.
not a girl

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:25 am

Rogg wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 am
SolidSCB wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:00 pm The multi-round format needs to die a death in anything other than the UK, Prem Finals and those shitty World Series things they do.
If it were possible to stretch out the European Championship and PC Finals into 7+ day events then I suspect it would be happening already. Multi-round formats squashed into long weekends are clearly practical and tick loads of boxes for the parties involved.

The Champions League itself is moving to September, as it goes. Anyway I have no problem with playing multiple rounds in a day.

So if you're the PDC chairman and the BBC offer you 16 hours of live coverage, what would you give them? Presumably you wouldn't tell them to get stuffed.
A ranking event.

Also, I don't think that because a tournament only has a certain amount of TV time, it must all be played in that time.

I'd love to see the PDC change one of these samey Short Tournaments to a longer format with the first couple of rounds streamed only, then the later rounds on TV.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

JH01

Post by JH01 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:38 am

Rogg wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 am The Champions League itself is moving to September, as it goes. Anyway I have no problem with playing multiple rounds in a day.

Obviously I know Barry won't, but darts does not need the BBC. Not only does it not take the game seriously, but the PDC managed just fine without their coverage for years.

As for the multi-round days, it's ok if it's once or twice a year, but we see it in all but 3 TV tournaments. Some of the semis and finals of these tournaments have been pitiful. Also for me the Euros, PC Finals and other such tournaments feel quite rushed and not very special. When the semis are over, you've got the final straight away. And they're all best of 21, quite a short format for a supposed major final. You've got the Grand Slam that kind of meets you halfway, but I still feel that there needs to be more tournaments in the mould of the Worlds, Matchplay and Grand Prix.

SolidSCB

Post by SolidSCB » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:52 pm

They are all cookie cutter. I'm fed up of watching the same guys play best of 21, multiple round per day events every couple of weeks. There's so much they could do to freshen it up, short course setplay like the World Masters is an immediate one.

I always say that the best days where when you had the Worlds, the Premier League, UK Open, Desert Classic, Matchplay and WGP, and later on the meaningful version of the Grand Slam. Every single one of those tournaments had its own unique identity and feel. None of these ones they plaster on ITV are special in the slightest. You could swap one with the other and I swear to god I wouldn't even notice.

Safc

Post by Safc » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:57 pm

I personally dont like the masters,champions league and WSOD Finals I do think if they removed them 3 u could make the euro champs and pcf week long events

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:04 pm

The Masters is pointless indeed. WSOD Finals should be a good event but the invites are a bit ridiculous sometimes, like they were this year.
WDF4LIFE

If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:57 pm

Captain Hobo wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:25 am

A ranking event.

Also, I don't think that because a tournament only has a certain amount of TV time, it must all be played in that time.

I'd love to see the PDC change one of these samey Short Tournaments to a longer format with the first couple of rounds streamed only, then the later rounds on TV.
I could be wrong but I can't imagine the BBC would want to get involved in anything so advanced. I agree it's a shame that the few hours they offer up can't be used more creatively but I sort of imagine they are always the width of a hair away from binning darts completely and that a self-contained, special needs event for the elite is who they are. Peak audiences of a million or whatever and it's job done.

Hardcore fans can look elsewhere for their kicks and I think that's perfectly reasonable. The hardcore fans of darts are extremely bad at doing that though. Extremely bad at calmly choosing not to watch something.
not a girl

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:10 pm

Rogg wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:57 pm

A ranking event.

I could be wrong but I can't imagine the BBC would want to get involved in anything so advanced. I agree it's a shame that the few hours they offer up can't be used more creatively but I sort of imagine they are always the width of a hair away from binning darts completely and that a self-contained, special needs event for the elite is who they are. Peak audiences of a million or whatever and it's job done.

Hardcore fans can look elsewhere for their kicks and I think that's perfectly reasonable. The hardcore fans of darts are extremely bad at doing that though. Extremely bad at calmly choosing not to watch something.
You're as relentless as always. However, if there's no real possibility of the BBC coverage ultimately expanding (even if it's just one 3-4 day ranking event), then what's the point of it all? I won't watch events I don't care about, but when they take up half of the calendar, you have to look at some of them and ask, why does this event exist in the first place? Especially if it leads to nowhere, if the BBC doesn't want more?
WDF4LIFE

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:16 pm

JH01 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:38 am
Rogg wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:59 am The Champions League itself is moving to September, as it goes. Anyway I have no problem with playing multiple rounds in a day.

Obviously I know Barry won't, but darts does not need the BBC. Not only does it not take the game seriously, but the PDC managed just fine without their coverage for years.

As for the multi-round days, it's ok if it's once or twice a year, but we see it in all but 3 TV tournaments. Some of the semis and finals of these tournaments have been pitiful. Also for me the Euros, PC Finals and other such tournaments feel quite rushed and not very special. When the semis are over, you've got the final straight away. And they're all best of 21, quite a short format for a supposed major final. You've got the Grand Slam that kind of meets you halfway, but I still feel that there needs to be more tournaments in the mould of the Worlds, Matchplay and Grand Prix.
That we have as many as four tournaments shown live for 7-17(?) days each is kind of great. Is it not?

I know you're not saying it's easy but you kind of make it sound easy to design these things, like multiple extra sessions could be added to anything if only the idea occurred to the PDC.

When's the last time a terrestrial/freeview tv channel in the uk showed in full a darts tournament that lasted more than 3 or 4 days? That answer must suggest something from the broadcasters' perspective. Of course it would be fantastic to have a fully fattened major darts event on free tv.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:35 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:10 pm
Rogg wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:57 pm

A ranking event.

You're as relentless as always. However, if there's no real possibility of the BBC coverage ultimately expanding (even if it's just one 3-4 day ranking event), then what's the point of it all? I won't watch events I don't care about, but when they take up half of the calendar, you have to look at some of them and ask, why does this event exist in the first place? Especially if it leads to nowhere, if the BBC doesn't want more?
What's the point of it all? Well, it's its own point. It's already led there. It's professional darts live on the BBC. It's no more BDO shite to upset granny when she's finishing off the Christmas chocolates.

Are you saying you'd prefer the BBC to show no darts at all rather than this particular tournament? That's probably what will happen eventually.
not a girl

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:39 pm

Only if there was another event to replace it. But I'm not sure that an event being better than nothing at all, is a reason to keep it. As of now, it's a filler event with awful production and little point. If they looked at eventually expanding it, I'd welcome that, but that's not too likely.
WDF4LIFE

Safc

Post by Safc » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:01 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:39 pm Only if there was another event to replace it. But I'm not sure that an event being better than nothing at all, is a reason to keep it. As of now, it's a filler event with awful production and little point. If they looked at eventually expanding it, I'd welcome that, but that's not too likely.
Yep this

And if they expand it to top 16 it effectively is the Masters

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:35 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:39 pm Only if there was another event to replace it. But I'm not sure that an event being better than nothing at all, is a reason to keep it. As of now, it's a filler event with awful production and little point. If they looked at eventually expanding it, I'd welcome that, but that's not too likely.
I think when the BBC is on board, 'better than nothing' is reason enough for keeping it. Looking at the viewing figures, this is possibly the only darts that many people ever notice. It must scoop up the attention of normal people and I think that shouldn't be taken lightly or for granted. And this year, having such a dramatic final on that platform has no negatives that I can think of.

The awful production obviously needs to corrected but that is possible to do. They ditch Vassos to the joy of all but then stop showing where the darts are landing. Inspired.
not a girl

JH01

Post by JH01 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:51 pm

Rogg wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:16 pm
JH01 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:38 am

That we have as many as four tournaments shown live for 7-17(?) days each is kind of great. Is it not?

I know you're not saying it's easy but you kind of make it sound easy to design these things, like multiple extra sessions could be added to anything if only the idea occurred to the PDC.

When's the last time a terrestrial/freeview tv channel in the uk showed in full a darts tournament that lasted more than 3 or 4 days? That answer must suggest something from the broadcasters' perspective. Of course it would be fantastic to have a fully fattened major darts event on free tv.
Makes no odds to me if it's on BBC, ITV or Sky. Although, the BBC has the triple crown snooker tournaments each year, ranging in length from a week to 17 days. Now I know that snooker has a slightly bigger following than darts and is more... upmarket if you will, but if they are willing to broadcast 3 snooker tournaments of that length, I don't see a single, week long darts tournament being too much of a struggle.

Also with ITV, they have about 8 or 9 tournaments a year if you include the World Series events. If they are willing to broadcast that many tournaments, then I don't see the issue for them in ditching 3 or 4 for a single, week long tournament.

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:55 pm

Emulsfier wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:35 pm
Jimmi wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:28 pm Genuine question: Why is Peter Wright not very well liked on here? 😂
Because he is a perennial underachiever who loves to talk himself up only to disappoint. Also his clown car antics have gotten utterly insipid.

And personally i think his throwing style is wank to watch. Others have pet hates I'm sure too.
Still an underachiever? :mrgreen:

“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:59 pm

Jimmi wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:55 pm
Jimmi wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:28 pm Genuine question: Why is Peter Wright not very well liked on here? 😂
Because he is a perennial underachiever who loves to talk himself up only to disappoint. Also his clown car antics have gotten utterly insipid.

And personally i think his throwing style is wank to watch. Others have pet hates I'm sure too.
May not be but still boring and a cunt :D
WDF4LIFE

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:08 pm

Why is Jimmi bumping old threads?

Has Bob Ross hacked into his account?
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Emulsfier

Post by Emulsfier » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:46 pm

Honoured you would dig a thread up for me.

I dont think one WC completely puts right 3-4 years of talking big and delivering squat. However i am confident he will win more and will end up with a very respectable haul indeed. Might even start this week.

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:53 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:59 pm

May not be but still boring and a cunt :D
He's neither of those two :D

“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:53 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:08 pm Why is Jimmi bumping old threads?

Has Bob Ross hacked into his account?
Was just bored at work and was looking at a few of my first posts on here, haha.