OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Captain Hobo

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by Captain Hobo » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:29 am

The Thorn wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:41 amDoes it?
It matters more than anything you will ever achieve.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:49 am

Captain Hobo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:29 am
The Thorn wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:41 amDoes it?
It matters more than anything you will ever achieve.
Fair enough but you didn't need to be so mean :(
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:17 am

Absolutely vile

Rob Singleton

Post by Rob Singleton » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:21 am

oche balboa wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:17 am
Lexington wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:52 am Interesting seeing the names in the first Q School. Young Shaun Griffiths never fulfilled his promise. Not seen his name for years.
Played some WDF stuff last year
And Modus
Final Warning and Cancelled twice in 2023

2024 is here!
Excommunicated
Posting darts related stuff on a darts forum is confusing to some, if not many

Keith Deller MBE 👍

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:22 am

Randall wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:17 am Absolutely vile
Harsh on Thorn, but fair tbh

Lexington

Post by Lexington » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:34 am

Rob Singleton wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:21 am
Lexington wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:52 am Interesting seeing the names in the first Q School. Young Shaun Griffiths never fulfilled his promise. Not seen his name for years.
And Modus
How did he get on?
Modus does seem to be pulling in some 'older' names back into darts. I'm liking it so far.

Rob Singleton

Post by Rob Singleton » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:54 am

Lexington wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:34 am
And Modus
How did he get on?
Modus does seem to be pulling in some 'older' names back into darts. I'm liking it so far.
Shaun was superb in his younger years. Hit and miss in Modus like the majority of players and perfect for the bookies. Tread with caution. Small stakes is the way. Absolute madness to pile on in this group A.

Take Walters, played Q School then goes to Modus and plays blindfolded

2024 is here!
Excommunicated

Keith Deller MBE 👍

Lexington

Post by Lexington » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:26 pm

Rob Singleton wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:54 am
And Modus
How did he get on?
Shaun was superb in his younger years. Hit and miss in Modus like the majority of players and perfect for the bookies. Tread with caution. Small stakes is the way. Absolute madness to pile on in this group A.

yeah, I remeber Shaun well, thats why I wondered how he was now.

(Sorry Modus, I'm not much of a gambler. But glad people do to make it work.)

I guess this is the natural progression from that old Champions League thingy that PDC did for the online bookies

Rob Singleton

Post by Rob Singleton » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:41 pm

Lexington wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:26 pm

And Modus
How did he get on?

I guess this is the natural progression from that old Champions League thingy that PDC did for the online bookies
So, before Modus as it is now there were previous versions.
Modus is currently played on a stage in a purpose built venue in Portsmouth - A converted church.
Saturday evening is finals night 7pm onwards in front of a live crowd. 100 max?? Generally 30+ turn up.

Modus was played on the floor in a boxed room in Southampton = Covid era. Also famous for Robert Thornton starring at the side wall while his opponent was on the oche. Always got a chuckle from the comms team.

The original concept was during Covid, where players played from home using web cams and all that technology stuff. Viewers could see both players and just about make out the scores on the dartboard. I think the players only saw the scoreboard / no footage of what their opponent had scored before taking their turn. The bookies loved it as was literally the only thing anyone could bet on at the time with everything pretty much shut down.

The PDC copied the idea to give the lower ranked players a chance to win some money. They also won an award 😂 which is typical of how things work at the top end. Steal an idea and get lauded. All hail the PDC!

It also unearthed some online monster players and cheats. My memory is David Evans and Wessell as absolute stand outs playing from home. Both robotic 180 hitters. Wessell got caught up in match fixing resulting in a 2 year ban?? McLustrey. Google his name, got 8 years ban. Aaron Monk would play wearing huge headphones.

I digressed there. Think that's about it

2024 is here!
Excommunicated

Keith Deller MBE 👍

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:03 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:22 am
Randall wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:17 am Absolutely vile
Harsh on Thorn, but fair tbh
Stop piling on

Justice for me I'm a good solid poster

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:04 pm

Rob Singleton wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:41 pm

And Modus
How did he get on?

Modus is currently played on a stage in a purpose built venue in Portsmouth - A converted church.
Saturday evening is finals night 7pm onwards in front of a live crowd. 100 max?? Generally 30+ turn up.

Modus was played on the floor in a boxed room in Southampton = Covid era. Also famous for Robert Thornton starring at the side wall while his opponent was on the oche. Always got a chuckle from the comms team.

The original concept was during Covid, where players played from home using web cams and all that technology stuff. Viewers could see both players and just about make out the scores on the dartboard. I think the players only saw the scoreboard / no footage of what their opponent had scored before taking their turn. The bookies loved it as was literally the only thing anyone could bet on at the time with everything pretty much shut down.

The PDC copied the idea to give the lower ranked players a chance to win some money. They also won an award 😂 which is typical of how things work at the top end. Steal an idea and get lauded. All hail the PDC!

It also unearthed some online monster players and cheats. My memory is David Evans and Wessell as absolute stand outs playing from home. Both robotic 180 hitters. Wessell got caught up in match fixing resulting in a 2 year ban?? McLustrey. Google his name, got 8 years ban. Aaron Monk would play wearing huge headphones.

It's McKinstry

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:15 pm

The best covid tournament was the one ran by Richard Ashdown and Dean Winstanley (Until the 2nd version with ladies involved killed the idea)

Remote Darts League. Watched every night of those was good (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Remo ... s_League_1)

But after a while online darts got boring to watch.
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Lexington

Post by Lexington » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:18 pm

Rob Singleton wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:41 pm

And Modus
How did he get on?

Intresting thankyou.

Ive remembered what I was thinking of now as well. It was the Championship League of Darts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Championship_League_Darts) 2008-2013 (Not to be confused with the BBC Comp Champions League). That was run behind closed doors, streaming only and shown on betting company websites. That feels like the foreunner to was Modus now is in the sense that it is effectively funded by the betting side of things

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:11 am

Repost of the BBC article on the Anderson-Robon incident.

Fatz and Croft took the Thorn angle of chirpily declaring them two cracking lads, with Fatz also claiming extra-sensory perception for spotting a lie. So impressive.

Players cleared of match-fixing
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 599364.stm
10th January 2006

Gary Anderson and Gary Robson have been cleared of wrong-doing after irregular betting patterns preceded their Lakeside World Championship match.
Bookmakers said Anderson, who won the first-round tie 3-1, had been backed to the near exclusion of Robson, costing the industry a possible six-figure sum.

The Association of British Bookmakers (ABB) will not launch an inquiry.

And both players have been cleared by the British Darts Organisation (BDO) after interviews uncovered nothing.

ABB spokesman John Johnson said: "I understand the BDO has interviewed both players and given the situation a clean bill of health, so there's not really anything more we can do."

Bookmaker William Hill was forced to suspend its market on the match within two hours of opening it last Thursday, having been inundated with support for Anderson.

"We saw some of the strangest ever betting patterns on an early-round darts match in a major competition," said William Hill spokesman Graham Sharpe.

"We thought it was a flip-of-a-coin type of match and opened up with both players at 5-6. We were knocked over by people wanting to back Gary Anderson.

"In normal circumstances you would maybe take a couple of thousand pounds. But in this case it was well into five figures within two hours, and the interest was only in one of the two players.

"We therefore took the almost unprecedented step of closing the book, but we will stand by those bets and pay up."

Coral spokesman Simon Clare added: "Nobody wanted to back Gary Robson - we hardly took a bet on him.

"We are paying out through gritted teeth but we have serious concerns about the betting patterns and would welcome an inquiry."

But the BDO and the International Darts Players' Association (IDPA) were united in insisting nothing untoward had occurred.

IDPA chief executive Martin Fitzmaurice said: "We have spoken to both players today. They categorically deny any involvement in the betting activity, and we would know if they were lying."

BDO managing director Olly Croft added: "The players were told about the betting activity and were distraught. They are the most honest people in the world."
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:21 am

'The Association of British Bookmakers (ABB) will not launch an inquiry.

ABB spokesman John Johnson said: "I understand the BDO has interviewed both players and given the situation a clean bill of health, so there's not really anything more we can do."'

A rigorous inquiry, don't mess with the ABB.
not a girl

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:59 am

Rogg wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:21 am 'The Association of British Bookmakers (ABB) will not launch an inquiry.

ABB spokesman John Johnson said: "I understand the BDO has interviewed both players and given the situation a clean bill of health, so there's not really anything more we can do."'

A rigorous inquiry, don't mess with the ABB.
President Singleton is doing a great job

Cooking with Sanchez

Post by Cooking with Sanchez » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:08 pm

Sigh.
The Thorn wrote: Be honest Malt sometimes women deserve a slap or 2.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:25 am

Found this on an old dutch forum
So the question is, who will participate in the Winmau World Masters?
Last year we saw some PDC and BDO players mixing together. The highlight, or rather low point, was that Martin Adams did not want to appear in front of the camera with Steve Beaton after he had lost.
Will we get something like that again this year??
In any case, last year's winner now plays PDC.
https://web.archive.org/web/20060224183 ... readid=624

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:19 pm

oche balboa wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:25 am Found this on an old dutch forum
So the question is, who will participate in the Winmau World Masters?
Last year we saw some PDC and BDO players mixing together. The highlight, or rather low point, was that Martin Adams did not want to appear in front of the camera with Steve Beaton after he had lost.
Will we get something like that again this year??
In any case, last year's winner now plays PDC.
https://web.archive.org/web/20060224183 ... readid=624
Did Adams hold a grudge against Beaton for some reason?

It would be odd if Adams didn't want to appear next to Beaton post-match merely because he was a PDC player. Adams had competed in a PDC event and participated in joint post-game interviews with PDC players only a few years prior.

oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:26 pm

Adams played Beaton at the Slam and there was no ill will between the pair. I think he didn't want to be interviewed due to losing