OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:47 am

PDC LOOK FOR NEW SPONSOR
https://web.archive.org/web/20030727231 ... 82299&Nv=1
20th February 2002

The Professional Darts Corporation is looking for a sponsor for its flagship tournament, The World Darts Championships, which take place over the New Year period at The Circus Tavern, Purfleet, Essex.

Phil ‘The Power’ Taylor recently won his tenth World Championship crown at the event beating Peter Manley in the final. The PDC World Championships has, for the last five years, been sponsored by Skol, the number one value for money lager owned by Carlsberg-Tetley.

The PDC World Championships receive well over fifty hours of live coverage on Sky Television over an eight day period and have consistently delivered outstanding TV ratings and media exposure for the sponsors. The standard of darts is second to none and Phil Taylor’s extraordinary performances have raised the overall playing standards to new heights. Indeed, the event has become the leading darts event in the world over the past few years.

Commenting on Skol’s withdrawal Iain Paton, Director of lager brands at Carlsberg-Tetley said, “The PDC World Championships have been an excellent event for the Skol brand.

However, the market place dictates that a change of direction is needed for the brand at this time.”

The Chief Executive of the Professional Darts Corporation, Tim Darby said, “Skol have been outstanding supporters of darts over many years and we are naturally sad to see them go.

"However, their departure coincides with some major changes that are taking place within the game and the PDC are currently developing a range of new and exciting commercial opportunities which will provide even more value for sponsors.”
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:54 am

the sponsors are lining up these days falling over themselves to sponsor the PDC

ALL HAIL UNCLE BARRY - THE KING OF DARTS

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:12 pm

Justin Credible wrote:the sponsors are lining up these days falling over themselves to sponsor the PDC

ALL HAIL UNCLE BARRY - THE KING OF DARTS
They weren't waiting long...

LADBROKES MAKE PDC FAVOURITES FOR PREMIERSHIP OF DARTS
https://web.archive.org/web/20030728224 ... 17496&Nv=1
November 2002

The Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) is delighted to announce that the world’s number one bookmaker Ladbrokes is to sponsor the 2003 World Championship.

Ladbrokes has joined forces with the PDC to make the forthcoming World Championship the highest paying darts tournament of all time with the total prize fund increasing to a guaranteed £236,000.

The Ladbrokes.com PDC World Championship is firmly established as the greatest tournament in the darts calendar featuring the very best darts players on the planet.

Ladbrokes is initially joining forces with the PDC for a period of one year, with a further option for three more years.

Ladbrokes’ decision to support the competition is indicative of the high regard in which the sport of darts is now held. The sponsorship reinforces the fact that the PDC is unquestionably the Premiership of Darts.

The Championship field will also increase in size for 2003 with a total of forty players lining-up at the Circus Tavern, Purfleet from 27th December for an extraordinary ten days of darts.

Four places will be won at the Ladbrokes.com PDC World Championship play-offs on December 7th and four places will be awarded as wild cards.

One of the wild cards will go to an aspiring darts player from the UK who will be handed a chance to line-up with the world’s elite, courtesy of The SP 9-Dart challenge with The People.

In conjunction with the Laurel Pub Company four weekends of competition will take place across the country whereby players throw 9-darts each in an attempt to achieve the highest score possible.

The highest 16 scoring players over four weeks of competition will then gather for a final shoot-out with the winner securing that elusive 40th place in the Ladbrokes.com PDC World Championship and the last remaining wild card slot.

-----------

The Championship will once again benefit from Sky Sports’ excellent coverage with over 61 hours of live darts. The legendary Sid Waddell will again be assuming the commentary position.

Ladbrokes eGaming managing director John O’Reilly commented:

“For sports fans The PDC World Darts Championship is a key part of the festive period, and betting is an integral part of enjoying the drama. We’ll be offering a wide range of markets on the event and it’s great to be involved in the World Championship. We’re already offering odds of 1/4 on Taylor to win the tournament.”

“No one will ever have witnessed a darts tournament like the one we will bring the world in 2003,” announced PDC Chairman Barry Hearn.

“The Ladbrokes.com PDC World Championship carries enormous respectability via backing from the world’s number one bookmaker, and through an increased number of players. Our deal with The People also brings innovation to what is already an exceptional event.”

-------------

Ladbrokes is offering the following special bets on the Ladbrokes.com World Championship:

Phil Taylor to retain the World Darts Championship: 1/4

Phil Taylor to win the tournament with a 9 dart finish (The final leg of the tournament to be a Phil Taylor 9 dart leg): 200/1

Phil Taylor to throw a 9 dart leg during the tournament: 16/1

Any player to get knocked out of the tournament without winning a single leg: 3/1

Any player to throw a 170 checkout during the tournament: 4/1 :)

Full Prize Fund Breakdown:

1st: £50,000
2nd: £25,000
3rd/4th: £12,500
5-8th: £7,000
9-16th: £5,000
17th-32nd: £3,000
33rd-40th: £2,500
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Rogg wrote:One of the wild cards will go to an aspiring darts player from the UK who will be handed a chance to line-up with the world’s elite, courtesy of The SP 9-Dart challenge with The People.

In conjunction with the Laurel Pub Company four weekends of competition will take place across the country whereby players throw 9-darts each in an attempt to achieve the highest score possible.

The highest 16 scoring players over four weeks of competition will then gather for a final shoot-out with the winner securing that elusive 40th place in the Ladbrokes.com PDC World Championship and the last remaining wild card slot.
^^^^ who won that then? someone in Round 1 obviously, can't say I remember it.
not a girl

PT13

Post by PT13 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:25 pm

Ginge wrote:
Rogg wrote:Robert Thornton Joins PDC
http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/1lui0lwn ... -joins-pdc
21st May 2008

ROBERT THORNTON, the current BDO number one, has moved onto the Professional Darts Corporation circuit and joined the PDPA.

The Scottish star won the 2007 World Masters and this year's Dutch Open, before recently coming through the Holsten Qualifiers to win a place in next month's Blue Square UK Open.

Thornton, from Stevenston in Ayrshire, has now joined the Professional Dart Players Association and will play on the PDC circuit full-time from June.

He reached the quarter-finals of last weekend's Welsh Open, and is currently ranked number one in the BDO system and number three in the WDF.
Im sure he cited that as his reason for switching - he battled all day to get to a TV quarter final (it was on Setanta) and he got a measly £150 for it!!!!!
He did. Thornton got paid £150 for reaching the quarter finals of the 2008 Welsh Open, as you say. At the same time over in Uncasville, Connecticut, USA, losing quarter finalists at the 2008 PDC US Open were getting paid £4,000.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:55 pm

Taylor powers to victory
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 943115.stm
31st July 2004

Phil Taylor beat Mark Dudbridge 18-8 to win his fifth consecutive Stan James World Matchplay title in Blackpool.

Taylor last lost a match in the event in 1999 and was never looked like doing so to an opponent rated as a 100-1 shot at the start of the tournament.

Dudbridge started well but missed a chance to go ahead at 2-2, and the closest he got to Taylor after that was 9-6 before 'The Power' pulled away.

The win secured Taylor's seventh World Matchplay crown in total.

He said: "I've worked very hard for this. It was very hot on stage, I felt a bit tired, and my form was up and down.

"But this title was what I was after though and I'm going to enjoy it.

"Mark started fantastically well but he then slackened off a bit and let me in. But he's a great darts player and a nice person and I'm really proud of him."

Dudbridge, 31, was a complete unknown before capturing the World Masters in November 2002.

He had impressed again this week with victories over Wayne Mardle, Alan Warriner, Manley and Ronnie Baxter.

But the Bristol player was unable to sustain the momentum against Taylor.

He admitted: "The whole occasion got to me a bit. I was really calm before the match but walking into the arena I started to get very nervous.

"I tried to go out with all guns blazing and get an early break, but Phil doesn't give you many chances."
not a girl

PT13

Post by PT13 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:52 pm

At the 2004 World Matchplay, the semi final between Taylor and Part stands out. Taylor went 10-0 up before Part started playing properly and reduced Taylor's lead to 13-6 and missed darts that would have made it 13-7. Taylor won 17-8. An emphatic Taylor victory against the only player who seemed capable of beating Taylor on TV at the time.

When Taylor was 10-0 up, the commentators were raising the possibility of a 17-0 whitewash, which was a 150/1 shot before the match. Part faced complete humiliation, but by the end he had restored all his respectability.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:17 pm

PT13 wrote:At the 2004 World Matchplay, the semi final between Taylor and Part stands out. Taylor went 10-0 up before Part started playing properly and reduced Taylor's lead to 13-6 and missed darts that would have made it 13-7. Taylor won 17-8. An emphatic Taylor victory against the only player who seemed capable of beating Taylor on TV at the time.

When Taylor was 10-0 up, the commentators were raising the possibility of a 17-0 whitewash, which was a 150/1 shot before the match. Part faced complete humiliation, but by the end he had restored all his respectability.
Not sure if it was that match, but it was a Taylor-Part Matchplay match some year. Part had made some light remark about how his mother would like to come over and watch him play some day, because at the moment he just has his matches recorded for he.

Sid was at his unbearable best/worst in this particular match, and when Part was getting battered he screamed "Take home a tape of THAT and show it to your mother!!" - what an idiot, fackking insane. Sid had a badly concealed bitterness towards Part for a time having beaten Taylor in '03.
not a girl

PT13

Post by PT13 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:40 pm

Rogg wrote:Not sure if it was that match, but it was a Taylor-Part Matchplay match some year. Part had made some light remark about how his mother would like to come over and watch him play some day, because at the moment he just has his matches recorded for he.
Yes, it was at the 2004 World Matchplay that John Part's mother came to Britain for the first time to watch her son play darts.
Rogg wrote:Sid was at his unbearable best/worst in this particular match, and when Part was getting battered he screamed "Take home a tape of THAT and show it to your mother!!" - what an idiot, fackking insane. Sid had a badly concealed bitterness towards Part for a time having beaten Taylor in '03.
Part had beaten Taylor at the 2003 World Championship (7-6 in sets), 2003 Las Vegas Desert Classic (13-10 in legs) and the 2004 UK Open (8-6 in legs), although Taylor had beaten Part 7-2 in sets in the 2003 World Grand Prix final. Nobody else other than Part seemed capable of beating Taylor on TV at the time, although Wayne Mardle was 1 dart away at the 2004 UK Open in their famous grudge match from beating Taylor, before Part did beat Taylor.

I always loved Sid Waddell though. There's nobody who builds atmospheres around darts matches like he could.

Of course, Taylor and Part had more famous matches in 2005. At the UK Open, Part led Taylor 4-0, 7-1 and 10-6 before Taylor came back to win 11-10. At the World Matchplay, Part was 1-4 down with 2 breaks of throw yet came back to win 16-11. That was Taylor's only defeat on TV in 2005.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:22 am

Not an article, but this video review of the 2000 PDC World Matchplay brought back warm memories. It was only the 2nd full PDC tournament I watched (after the 2000 Worlds). Been hooked ever since.

[youtube][/youtube]
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:26 am

you make me feel ancient

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:28 am

Justin Credible wrote:you make me feel ancient
I felt a bit long in the tooth myself watching that. It was 16 years ago.

I was 13 at the time.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:52 pm

sennafan24 wrote:

I was 13 at the time.
Jesus Christ

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:58 pm

Darth Randall wrote:
sennafan24 wrote:

I was 13 at the time.
Jesus Christ

I know, we are surrounded by kids.

This is why fakewade loved here :lol:

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:12 pm

I wouldn't worry guys.

At 28, I'm a pensioner compared to Myers and Oche. Their mental age is still in the infant stages ;)

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:14 pm

I feel old......then I just think of MH and I feel young again :lol:

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:36 pm

Justin Credible wrote:I feel old......then I just think of MH and I feel young again :lol:
Tosser! Fuck off and sort out KoTW so nobody will read it
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:40 pm

M H wrote:
Rogg wrote:2 of the 8 listed there as teenagers - Cullen, Smith - reached the semi-finals in Germany last night.

When you include MvG - Wright was the only semi-finalist last night who hadn't played on the PDC youth tour.
Ahhh, that's the conveyor belt of talent we used to hear about. Taken for granted now
Bump for Benito!
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Further U21 Qualifiers Win Spots
http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/1bok188y ... -win-spots
24th October 2010

THE remaining Rileys Qualifiers and PDC Europe Qualifier for the PDC Unicorn Under-21 World Championship have taken place.

Benito van de Pas won the second PDC Europe Qualifier on Saturday night, meaning he joins Rico Dera and Dirk van Duijvenbode in winning a place in the Last 64 of the event in Barnsley on November 6.

Van de Pas (pictured) whitewashed John de Kruijf 4-0 to win the final of the qualifier, held at the Dolce Bad Nauheim, and he had also defeated top Danish youngster Vladimir Anderson in the semi-finals.

The second weekend of Rileys Qualifiers have also taken place in Rileys Darts Zones at venues around the UK.

The qualifiers include Daniel Ovens, the son of world number 26 Denis Ovens who won through the Stevenage knockout.

Bristol qualifier Alex Harrison also won through to the Rileys Darts Zones UK Open earlier in the year.

The Last 64 will play off down to the final on Saturday November 6 at the Barnsley Metrodome, with the top eight ranked PDPA members joined by International Qualifiers and Rileys Qualifiers.

The inaugural event will see the finalists compete on stage during the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship in January at Alexandra Palace for the title.

Rileys Qualifiers
Basildon - Liam Showell
Bournemouth - Keegan Brown
Brighton - Jack Marriner
Bristol - Alex Harrison
Cardiff - Daniel McGivney
Cardiff - Nick Kenny
Colchester - Curtis Hammond
Croydon - Ryan Hitchens
Exeter - Dale Quince
Gillingham - Josh Payne
Gloucester - Liam Deveries