OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by Rogg » Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:06 pm

Shane O'Connor? Nope.

Found him here. An extra puzzle too as I didn't recall Ally Pally prelims having to be won by 2 clear legs.

not a girl

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:00 pm

Rogg wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:06 pm Shane O'Connor? Nope.

Found him here. An extra puzzle too as I didn't recall Ally Pally prelims having to be won by 2 clear legs.

I don't remember that as I didn't watch much that year. It was back to best of 7 legs in 2010.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:31 pm

Van Gerwen Takes Youth Double
https://web.archive.org/web/20110523225 ... 72,00.html
21st May 2011

MICHAEL VAN GERWEN won his second PDC Unicorn Youth Tour event, defeating Co Stompe Jnr 4-1 in an all-Dutch final at the K2 Centre in Crawley.

Van Gerwen had been the winner in Wigan at the end of April, defeating Ash Khayat in the final, and picked up the £600 first prize to move to the top of the Youth Tour Order of Merit.

The Dutch ace dropped only two legs in his opening five games, with only Lewis McGurn pushing him all the way.

Van Gerwen then defeated Chris Aubrey 4-2 in the semis, before winning 4-1 in the decider.

Stompe shared the first two legs with his opponent, finishing 86 for a 14-darter in the second leg, but van Gerwen took out double 16 for the third and then broke in the fourth on tops after his opponent missed three darts to level.

Van Gerwen then showed his experience to close out the win, opening the fifth leg with scores of 125, 140 and 140 before hitting double ten to deny Stompe a fightback.

"I'm really happy," said van Gerwen. "I wanted to win another Youth Tour event quickly to keep my confidence and form after Wigan, so to do it is a boost.

"Having Co in the final with me shows that there's good players coming through in Holland as well as in the UK, which is great to see."

Stompe Jnr, the son of World Cup winner Co Stompe, enjoyed his best run on the Youth Tour as he followed recent finishes in the quarter-finals and semi-finals by reaching the decider, picking up £400 prize money.

His run on the day included victories over Michael Smith - with a 4-1 win in the semis - as well as against more experienced pair Adam Smith-Neale and Ryan Herrington, plus fellow Dutchman Wouter Vaes.

Aubrey reached his third semi-final of the year, while Smith's run to the last four was his best performance since event two in Barnsley, when he hit a nine-darter and was runner-up.

Hull's Reece Robinson reached the quarter-finals for the fourth time in the last five events, and he was joined in the last eight by Smith-Neale, Jamie Grinhaff and Daniel King-Morris.

Joe Cullen, who won last week's Youth Tour event in Austria, was knocked out 3-2 by King-Morris in the last 32.

The next PDC Unicorn Youth Tour event will be held at the Barnsley Metrodome on Saturday June 11. Entry, costing £25, is open to players aged 14-21 by calling the PDC Head Office on 08712 501 180 during office hours.

PDC Unicorn Youth Tour Event Eight
First Round

Marc Evans 3-0 Liam Bonner
Paul Barham 3-0 Aaron Bans
Ben Songhurst 3-2 James Young
Michael van Gerwen 3-0 Robbie Herbert
Brandon Monk 3-2 Dan Read
Jonathan Mulley 3-2 Tom McGurn
Ross Robson 3-2 Jake Jones
Sean White 3-1 Dan Cross
Nick Kenny 3-2 Owen Grantham
Rees Hall 3-0 Zak Fullick
Reece Robinson 3-0 Connor Durham
David Coyne 3-0 David Everley
Matthew Dicken 3-0 Spencer Murphy
Simon Hicks Bye (Mike Nissen timed out)
Adam Hunt 3-0 Karl Brooks
Jamie Landon 3-2 Lewis Venes
Adam Smith-Neale 3-1 Darren Whittingham
Josh Jones 3-0 Luke Humphries
Curtis Hammond 3-0 Steve Haggerty
Co Stompe Jnr 3-1 Ryan Herrington
Greg Upton 3-1 Jonny Ansell
Kurtis Atkins 3-1 Anthony West
Jack Tweddell 3-0 Mason Riou
James Smith 3-1 Sam Hill
David Pallett 3-1 Jack Hill
Gary Thorne 3-2 Thomas Newbie
Michael Smith 3-0 Mark Fluck
Joe Davis 3-1 Warren Grantham

Second Round
Jamie Grinhaff 3-0 Peter Browning
Jack Marriner 3-2 Marc Evans
Jamie Lewis 3-0 Craig Brown
Paul Barham 3-0 Ben Songhurst
Lewis McGurn 3-0 Sam Davidson
Michael van Gerwen 3-0 Brandon Monk
James Thompson 3-1 Ryan Hitchens
Ross Robson 3-0 Jonathan Mulley
Martin Heneghan 3-1 Chris Bent
Chris Aubrey 3-0 Sean White
Ryan Maher 3-0 Bryan Flew
Rees Hall 3-1 Nick Kenny
James Hubbard 3-0 Joe Pearce
Reece Robinson 3-2 David Coyne
Ryan Harrington 3-0 Ross Mitchell
Matthew Dicken 3-0 Simon Hicks
Scott Pearson 3-1 Harry Annals
Paul Cooper 3-2 Adam Hunt
Charlie Jackson 3-1 Dean Reynolds
Adam Smith-Neale 3-2 Jamie Landon
Wouter Vaes 3-0 Joe Osman
Curtis Hammond 3-2 Josh Jones
Aden Kirk 3-0 Anthony Bonner
Co Stompe Jnr 3-0 Greg Upton
Daniel King-Morris 3-2 Scott Rollings
Joe Cullen 3-1 Kurtis Atkins
George Killington 3-0 Josh McCarthy
Jack Tweddell 3-0 James Smith
Dan Dean 3-1 Adam Griffiths
David Pallett 3-1 Gary Thorne
Ash Khayat 3-0 Jelle Muller
Michael Smith 3-1 Joe Davis

Third Round
Jamie Grinhaff 3-2 Jack Marriner
Jamie Lewis 3-2 Paul Barham
Michael van Gerwen 3-2 Lewis McGurn
James Thompson 3-1 Ross Robson
Chris Aubrey 3-0 Martin Heneghan
Ryan Maher 3-1 Rees Hall
Reece Robinson 3-0 James Hubbard
Matthew Dicken 3-2 Ryan Harrington
Paul Cooper 3-1 Scott Pearson
Adam Smith-Neale 3-1 Charlie Jackson
Wouter Vaes 3-1 Curtis Hammond
Co Stompe Jnr 3-1 Aden Kirk
Daniel King-Morris 3-2 Joe Cullen
George Killington 3-1 Jack Tweddell
David Pallett 3-1 Dan Dean
Michael Smith 3-2 Ash Khayat

Fourth Round
Jamie Grinhaff 3-2 Jamie Lewis
Michael van Gerwen 3-0 James Thompson
Chris Aubrey 3-0 Ryan Maher
Reece Robinson 3-2 Matthew Dicken
Adam Smith-Neale 3-1 Paul Cooper
Co Stompe Jnr 3-0 Wouter Vaes
Daniel King-Morris 3-1 George Killington
Michael Smith 3-1 David Pallett
Losers £25

Quarter-Finals
Michael van Gerwen 3-0 Jamie Grinhaff
Chris Aubrey 3-2 Reece Robinson
Co Stompe Jnr 3-1 Adam Smith-Neale
Michael Smith 3-1 Daniel King-Morris
Losers £100

Semi-Finals
Michael van Gerwen 4-2 Chris Aubrey
Co Stompe Jnr 4-1 Michael Smith
Losers £200

Final
Michael van Gerwen 4-1 Co Stompe Jnr
Winner £600
Runner-Up £400
not a girl

Emulsfier

Post by Emulsfier » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:43 pm

Stompe jr going with the anorexic vampire look there.
Boring Brendas number one and (almost) only fan.

Smithys number one and (definitely not) only hater.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:11 am

Sneering and weird but interesting from 2002.

Two worlds collide as darts goes in search of old bull
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2002/ ... paulweaver
7th January 2002

Phil Taylor cruises to his 10th title as the other version begins around the M25. But a winning formula remains elusive, writes Paul Weaver

Somewhere, between the smoke machines and the floodlights, the bow-tied heavies and the strident music, a multiple world champion was trying to get out.

On Saturday evening Phil Taylor took the world darts title for the 10th time, winning the Skol-sponsored PDC event at Purfleet with some ease. But, even though the glitz resembled a big boxing night, one needed a keen eye to read anything about it in yesterday's Sunday papers.

The Professional Darts Council, in its eighth year and now guided by Barry Hearn as well as the men at Sky TV, are attempting to glamourise the old pub game and make it more appealing than dominoes and potholing.

But on Saturday one world ended as another began. For round the M25, at the Lakeside Country Club at Frimley Green, the 25th Embassy World Darts Championships, run by the rival British Darts Organisation, was just getting under way.

Here, the fetid atmosphere is that of a failed working men's club. There are hamburgers dripping with tomato sauce and tin trays awash with spilled beer, warm farts and sticky carpets that tug at the feet, as in a nightmare. There are also viking hats and Hawaiian shirts.

There is much paunch - without the raunch - and a middle-aged woman wears a T-shirt that reads "Darts Players Aim for Three in a Bed". There is a raffle, with tatty toys for prizes.

Posters advertise two forthcoming attractions: Jim Davidson and Mike Reid. And on the walls there are pictures of such prominent contemporary entertainers as Pam Ayres, The Dreamers, The Wurzels, Frank Carson, Peter Gordeno, Tony Christie, Gary Wilmot and Tommy Cooper.

The darts are presided over, as they have been since 1978, by the BDO's Olly Croft, who might be the sharp Hearn's alter ego. His Dickensian sideburns grope towards his chin. And yet, in the midst of this fuggy, muggy retro land, this bleak nether world, there lurks a fundamental honesty.

The Embassy crowd might be looked upon as old-fashioned and nebbish by the Skol lot but there are no delusions of grandeur, no flights of fancy, so to speak. They come here for a pint and a game of arrows. The players simply walk on and shake hands. The old parlour game remains intact. And the hall is packed. At Frimley Green, at least, darts knows its place.

The PDC, though, now has most of the best players. Apart from Taylor there is Dennis Priestley, John Lowe, Rod Harrington and Alan Warriner, and they have recently been joined by the "Skol Six", who have crossed the floor from the BDO.

Anyone who has not heard of Taylor will certainly struggle to identify John "Boy" Walton, the current Embassy champion; or Ray Barneveld, the Frimley favourite and champion of 1998 and 1999, who is arguably the second best player in the world. The best-known Embassy name is the veteran Bobby George, now 56 and already eliminated in the first round.

The BDO is also more PC than the PDC and runs the Embassy Women's World Darts Championship along side the men's event. The challenge facing both the BDO and PDC (how can such a small game afford a schism?) is to bring back the heyday of the 1980s.

Eric Bristow, and even Lowe and Jocky Wilson, are still better known than Taylor with some. Then the players were ridiculed for their beer- swilling, chain-smoking ways. "I was watching sumo wresting on TV for two hours before I realised it was darts," said the comedienne Hattie Hayridge.

The money, like the players, was also bigger. When Taylor won his first title, in 1990, he said: "I do all right. I earn about a grand a week. I'm not complaining but, if I'd been at the top five years ago I'd be earning a grand a day, easily."

Sports writers viewed covering darts as the Gulag of their profession. Then, gradually, they stopped writing about it, unless the football was called off, and were replaced by obituarists and quirky anthropologists.

Today there are signs of a fragile recovery. Tony Wood, editor and publisher of Darts World, says: "There are a million-and-a-half players today, compared with two-and-a-half million in the 1980s. But that figure is going up again and increased TV coverage is generating more interest."

Saturday's final itself was another yawn. Taylor won the best-of-13-sets match 7-0 in a mere 75 minutes, losing only five legs. He was not even at his best.

Poor Peter "One Dart" Manley appeared to be cruelly misnamed. Like Andy Cole he required about five chances to finish. And he ended an unhappy evening by refusing to shake hands with Taylor, for which he was booed from the stage.

Hearn had the best day of all. He spent it watching Leyton Orient, of which he is chairman, beating Portsmouth in the FA Cup, and the final was all over by the time he got to Purfleet.

An astute man, Hearn, though having joined darts after making his millions from snooker and boxing he looks like the only entrepreneur in the world out to make a slow buck.
not a girl

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:23 am

Rogg wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:11 am The PDC, though, now has most of the best players.
:D

I think it was around 2005 that the quality of play in the BDO really started to diminish. Even with Barney in their ranks, 2006 Lakeside was pretty dire IIRC.

Btw, I remember reading a similar article in the tabloids, perhaps around 2004 after the Taylor vs Painter final. I think a lot outside the BDO bubble had recognised they were behind the times by the 2000s.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:41 am

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:23 am
Rogg wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:11 am The PDC, though, now has most of the best players.

I think it was around 2005 that the quality of play in the BDO really started to diminish. Even with Barney in their ranks, 2006 Lakeside was pretty dire IIRC.

Btw, I remember reading a similar article in the tabloids, perhaps around 2004 after the Taylor vs Painter final. I think a lot outside the BDO bubble had recognised they were behind the times by the 2000s.
Taylor clattering Burnett, Barney and Fordham in challenge matches and winning the masters of darts didn't help.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:17 am

Randall wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:41 am

Taylor clattering Burnett, Barney and Fordham in challenge matches and winning the masters of darts didn't help.
Aye, Taylor was always the best player overall and a powerful weapon for the PDC to use against the BDO. The best of the rest in both codes could win battles against him but not wars. His win-loss record in cross-code events in the 90s and 00s proves that.

The PDC's weaknesses in the 90s and early 00s were an aging roster and depth. As the 2000s progressed they addressed those weaknesses. PT13 has cited the "Skol Six" defection numerous times on this forum. It's also referenced in the article above.
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:19 am

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:17 am
Randall wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:41 am

Aye, Taylor was always the best player overall and a powerful weapon for the PDC to use against the BDO. The best of the rest in both codes could win battles against him but not wars. His win-loss record in cross-code events in the 90s and 00s proves that.

The PDC's weaknesses in the 90s and early 00s were an aging roster and depth. As the 2000s progressed they addressed those weaknesses. PT13 has cited the "Skol Six" defection numerous times on this forum. It's also referenced in the article above.
The pdc as it is today was essentially built on Taylors back

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:21 am

Randall wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:19 am The pdc as it is today was essentially built on Taylors back

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:15 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:21 am
Randall wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:19 am The pdc as it is today was essentially built on Taylors back
Very Randall, but also true. It even explains the hunch.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:34 pm

What about this bit?
Anyone who has not heard of Taylor will certainly struggle to identify John "Boy" Walton, the current Embassy champion; or Ray Barneveld, the Frimley favourite and champion of 1998 and 1999, who is arguably the second best player in the world. The best-known Embassy name is the veteran Bobby George, now 56 and already eliminated in the first round.
Not sure about that line of thinking really. In the early 2000s the BDO lads were on the BBC twice a year when there were only 5 channels. The BDO was a regular fixture in the living rooms of the masses. The PDC was not.
not a girl

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:18 pm

Rogg wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:34 pm What about this bit?
Not sure about that line of thinking really. In the early 2000s the BDO lads were on the BBC twice a year when there were only 5 channels. The BDO was a regular fixture in the living rooms of the masses. The PDC was not.
In 2002. I would say the Embassy players wasn't has well known as Taylor. But enough people took in an interest. Marin Adams was well known back in the 90s has he looked like Gerry Adams.

There wasn't much Darts on TV that year in UK. Worlds & World Masters on BBC. Sky had PDC Worlds, Grand Prix, Matchplay, Irish Masters (Showed the final day) & Desert Classic
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:19 pm

Oche!

It's 'as', not 'has'!

For fuck's sake!
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:19 pm

I don't remember the Irish Masters.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:22 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:19 pm I don't remember the Irish Masters.
Was shown in 2001 & 2002 on Sky

Mason won in 2001, Taylor in 2002

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:14 pm

oche balboa wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:22 pm
sennafan24 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:19 pm I don't remember the Irish Masters.
Was shown in 2001 & 2002 on Sky

Mason won in 2001, Taylor in 2002
According to Wiki it was the 2000 version that Mason won.

Ovens won it in 2001 and 2002.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:27 pm

Ok. So it might not be on in 2002 then

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:12 pm

PDC Withdraw Support For Dutch Events
https://www.pdc.tv/news/pdc-withdraw-su ... tch-events
8th October 2007

THE Professional Darts Corporation are to withdraw their support for the International Darts League and World Darts Trophy tournaments from 2008 onwards.

The two Dutch-based events have involved PDC players for the past two years and seen Raymond van Barneveld and Phil Taylor pick up tournament wins in the IDL and WDT respectively.

However, the PDC are to press ahead with their plans to create their own tournaments in Holland over the coming years to benefit all PDC players and PDPA members.

"We have stated our ambition for some time to expand the PDC on the European continent and, in particular, in Holland," said PDC Chairman Barry Hearn.

"We feel that the IDL and WDT have become tired events and the crowd levels and television audiences do not reflect what we want for our elite players.

"Therefore, we will now look to create new, vibrant tournaments and with the backing of our broadcasting partner in Holland, SBS6, create new opportunities for the best players in the sport, as well as chances for fans to see the biggest names in darts in action either live or on live television."

Hearn added: "We also plan to invest in the future of darts in Holland and around the world and creating our own new tournaments is a step to enable us to do that."

The PDC's have become the biggest investor in the future of darts through its financial support of events in Germany , America, Australia and South Africa in recent years, and PDC prize money for 2008 looks set to exceed €5 million.

The PDC saw the five-event North American Circuit develop successfully in 2007, and the sport is growing at an impressive rate in Australia and South Africa - where the entries for the Emperors Palace PDC SA Open last weekend were double the number from last year.

The PDC will stage it's first major televised competition in Germany later this year, the German Darts Championship, which will be shown on DSF television and follows the two Players Championship tournaments and the GDC's own circuit of events.

At least 17 countries will be represented later this year in the televised stages of the 2008 Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship, with prize money set at £605,000 in 2007/2008, £735,000 in 2008/2009 and £1 million in 2009/2010.
not a girl

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:13 pm

Rogg wrote:PDC Withdraw Support For Dutch Events
https://www.pdc.tv/news/pdc-withdraw-su ... tch-events
8th October 2007

THE Professional Darts Corporation are to withdraw their support for the International Darts League and World Darts Trophy tournaments from 2008 onwards.

The two Dutch-based events have involved PDC players for the past two years and seen Raymond van Barneveld and Phil Taylor pick up tournament wins in the IDL and WDT respectively.

However, the PDC are to press ahead with their plans to create their own tournaments in Holland over the coming years to benefit all PDC players and PDPA members.

"We have stated our ambition for some time to expand the PDC on the European continent and, in particular, in Holland," said PDC Chairman Barry Hearn.

"We feel that the IDL and WDT have become tired events and the crowd levels and television audiences do not reflect what we want for our elite players.

"Therefore, we will now look to create new, vibrant tournaments and with the backing of our broadcasting partner in Holland, SBS6, create new opportunities for the best players in the sport, as well as chances for fans to see the biggest names in darts in action either live or on live television."

Hearn added: "We also plan to invest in the future of darts in Holland and around the world and creating our own new tournaments is a step to enable us to do that."

The PDC's have become the biggest investor in the future of darts through its financial support of events in Germany , America, Australia and South Africa in recent years, and PDC prize money for 2008 looks set to exceed €5 million.

The PDC saw the five-event North American Circuit develop successfully in 2007, and the sport is growing at an impressive rate in Australia and South Africa - where the entries for the Emperors Palace PDC SA Open last weekend were double the number from last year.

The PDC will stage it's first major televised competition in Germany later this year, the German Darts Championship, which will be shown on DSF television and follows the two Players Championship tournaments and the GDC's own circuit of events.

At least 17 countries will be represented later this year in the televised stages of the 2008 Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship, with prize money set at £605,000 in 2007/2008, £735,000 in 2008/2009 and £1 million in 2009/2010.
Hearn ran scared and withdrew the troops klaxon!!!
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016