Cannibals - the most retarded forum comments ever thread...

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Zeyes

Re: Cannibals - the most retarded forum comments ever thread...

Post by Zeyes » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:52 am

It's really two issues that reinforce each other, one being that Q School is currently too important compared to seasonal performance, and the other that Q School isn't structured very well and can't quite do the job it's meant to be doing.

There's awarding more cards through the CT and DT, obviously - four each would be alright for now, although maybe with a limitation for how low you can be on the DT overall. (With an increasing number of tour card holders in the field, you could conceivably end up giving the 4th card to the #14 ranked player or something, which I feel is too low. That said, Zonneveld was only 9th and cruised through QS yesterday, so I dunno where exactly to draw the line.)

But the main problem with QS itself remains that the large number of chancers and no-hopers means massive distortions in the draw. You get top contenders facing off in the first round, while some other guy might not be facing a single 70 average en route to multiple ranking points. That's been made even worse since last year's Q School with the new points structure, now that late-round wins aren't worth more than early-round wins anymore. The only way to address that is to pare down the field to players who are at least semi-contenders for a tour card, so that almost every matchup is challenging.

I still think the way to go is to have regional Q School prelims for the riffraff and complete newcomers in early December, and only letting the best of them join the established players (recent ex-tour card holders, best X players from CT, DT and the affiliate tours, etc.) for a singular Q School Finals in January. That one shouldn't have more than 256 players (maybe not even more than ~200), which would also allow them to play 6 or even 8 tourneys in the same four-day duration to make the QS rankings a bit more meaningful.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:14 am

Zeyes wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:52 am It's really two issues that reinforce each other, one being that Q School is currently too important compared to seasonal performance, and the other that Q School isn't structured very well and can't quite do the job it's meant to be doing.

There's awarding more cards through the CT and DT, obviously - four each would be alright for now, although maybe with a limitation for how low you can be on the DT overall. (With an increasing number of tour card holders in the field, you could conceivably end up giving the 4th card to the #14 ranked player or something, which I feel is too low. That said, Zonneveld was only 9th and cruised through QS yesterday, so I dunno where exactly to draw the line.)

But the main problem with QS itself remains that the large number of chancers and no-hopers means massive distortions in the draw. You get top contenders facing off in the first round, while some other guy might not be facing a single 70 average en route to multiple ranking points. That's been made even worse since last year's Q School with the new points structure, now that late-round wins aren't worth more than early-round wins anymore. The only way to address that is to pare down the field to players who are at least semi-contenders for a tour card, so that almost every matchup is challenging.

I still think the way to go is to have regional Q School prelims for the riffraff and complete newcomers in early December, and only letting the best of them join the established players (recent ex-tour card holders, best X players from CT, DT and the affiliate tours, etc.) for a singular Q School Finals in January. That one shouldn't have more than 256 players (maybe not even more than ~200), which would also allow them to play 6 or even 8 tourneys in the same four-day duration to make the QS rankings a bit more meaningful.
Great idea, I know you've said it before, but it's even more relevant now. You'd have to make the regional qualifiers less expensive of course, but it could actually work out well in attracting some of the less experienced players from other countries in Europe. Half the field is German, mostly no-hoppers, I wonder how many half decent players across Europe were put off by having to go to Germany?

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:15 am

No hopers lol, but no Hoppers works out just as well!

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:33 am

thegentle wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:14 am You'd have to make the regional qualifiers less expensive of course (...)
I'm not even sure that's necessary. Golf does fine with asking for higher entry fees from the less accomplished players who have to start in the earlier stages of Q School. It's another way to sort out some of the biggest no-hopers straight away.

thegentle wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:14 ambut it could actually work out well in attracting some of the less experienced players from other countries in Europe. Half the field is German, mostly no-hoppers, I wonder how many half decent players across Europe were put off by having to go to Germany?
FWIW, I'm not really talking about breaking it up into tons of regions. Just the two UK and continental would be fine for a start. I don't think it makes a huge difference anyway if, say, somebody from Russia or Romania has to go to Germany rather than to an Eastern European prelim in e.g. Prague or Budapest. Top players from the regional circuits like PDCNB and EADC would be exempted straight to the Finals, and if you haven't proved yourself on those, what hope do you have anyway? (And players from the rest of the world should maybe still be allowed to sign up directly for the Finals at first. At the moment there's too little interest in doing Q School from out there to begin with.)

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:49 pm

I would argue that the entry fees are about creating a barrier, or disincentive for the less serious and shitty player from entering. The fee actually may be to low , as look at the crap that has showed up at the q school. Some pretty shit averages.

Q school isn't about generating money, they aren't taking in enough to worry about relative to what the operating expenses are for the PDC.

Being professional should mean something you don't want to open the door to every Tom, Dick, and soft tip cunt. This isn't your local piss up, it is professional sport. All sports have people who are very good yet they don't become pro. Life is not always fair.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Wolflanternbumbag

Re: Facts

Post by Wolflanternbumbag » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:49 pm

The dog killer doesn't half spout some BS
YORKSHIRE GRIT

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:03 pm

A pompous bunch, aren't they? Our old pal robson will drive them round the bend. :lol:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussio ... rts-thread
not a girl

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:05 pm

Darren has bitten to him loads already, bless 'im.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:32 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:05 pm Darren has bitten to him loads already, bless 'im.
It's a strange spectacle. Not a glimmer of humour between them. Whatever gets you through lakey...
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:37 pm

Rogg wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:03 pm A pompous bunch, aren't they? Our old pal robson will drive them round the bend. :lol:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussio ... rts-thread
Good fucking grief.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:30 pm

cannibal wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:49 pm I would argue that the entry fees are about creating a barrier, or disincentive for the less serious and shitty player from entering. The fee actually may be to low , as look at the crap that has showed up at the q school. Some pretty shit averages.

Q school isn't about generating money, they aren't taking in enough to worry about relative to what the operating expenses are for the PDC.

Being professional should mean something you don't want to open the door to every Tom, Dick, and soft tip cunt. This isn't your local piss up, it is professional sport. All sports have people who are very good yet they don't become pro. Life is not always fair.
I'd love to have a go and get my arse handed to me day after day just for the craic, the experience. The entry fee aint a problem it's the timing that doesn't work for me.

No doubt there's many others just there for the craic, why not?
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:47 pm

If they got the money to burn and value the experience and that time then fair play to them
We Desire Information.

8 Dart King

Post by 8 Dart King » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:34 am

cannibal wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:49 pm I would argue that the entry fees are about creating a barrier, or disincentive for the less serious and shitty player from entering. The fee actually may be to low , as look at the crap that has showed up at the q school. Some pretty shit averages.

What kind of shitty averages are dished up at q
School mate? Do you get the odd deluded pub player turning up? Mad to think anyone averaging below 80 would waste their time

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:54 am

8 Dart King wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:34 am

School mate? Do you get the odd deluded pub player turning up? Mad to think anyone averaging below 80 would waste their time
Been the occasional sub-50 (including some who have actually won games with that), and a fair few sub-70. The second round (last 128) is mostly players who can at least average 70+, but the open draw system means some shit players slip through the cracks

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:55 am

thegentle wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:54 am

Been the occasional sub-50 (including some who have actually won games with that), and a fair few sub-70. The second round (last 128) is mostly players who can at least average 70+, but the open draw system means some shit players slip through the cracks
Problem is, how would you go about ranking the entrants?
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:01 pm

Fiss Plaps wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:55 am
thegentle wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:54 am

Problem is, how would you go about ranking the entrants?
As Zeyes says, I guess anyone with any kind of decent pedigree, be that a former tour card holder, or a regular on one of the regional/challenge tours

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:24 pm

thegentle wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:09 am Q-School is becoming a money-spinner for the PDC though, in the end they'll probably get somewhere near 1,000 people sign up so they'll squeeze whatever money they can, even if some of the players there 'should' have already earned a tour card
Good entry, even Durrant bought the bullshit that a 1000 are signing up.
We Desire Information.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:29 pm

cannibal wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:24 pm
thegentle wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:09 am Q-School is becoming a money-spinner for the PDC though, in the end they'll probably get somewhere near 1,000 people sign up so they'll squeeze whatever money they can, even if some of the players there 'should' have already earned a tour card
Good entry, even Durrant bought the bullshit that a 1000 are signing up.
I meant overall, which would have meant about 750 turning up to the UK one. Even that's looking a bit optimistic at this stage

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:36 pm

8 Dart King wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:34 am What kind of shitty averages are dished up at q
According to Dart Connect approx 90 players are averaging below 70 into day 3. That is about 37% of the participants.
173 players avg below 80, 71% of the participants. Seems to me a load of deluded cunts with money to burn.
We Desire Information.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:10 pm

cannibal wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:36 pm According to Dart Connect approx 90 players are averaging below 70 into day 3. That is about 37% of the participants.
173 players avg below 80, 71% of the participants. Seems to me a load of deluded cunts with money to burn.
Plenty just doing it to get access to European Tour qualifying for the season.