Darts articles in the Media thread

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
The Thorn

Re: Darts articles in the Media thread

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:02 pm

I suppose there is always the possibility that Veenstra could have a Noppert or Hughes like rise in the PDC. He is as good a player as Hughes was at least. And he played to a great standard for a couple years before injuries hindering him

I don't think this is too likely but we can hope. Come on Dick Veins

Edit: I just looked it up and he's 41! FFS
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:13 pm

The Thorn wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:02 pm I suppose there is always the possibility that Veenstra could have a Noppert or Hughes like rise in the PDC. He is as good a player as Hughes was at least. And he played to a great standard for a couple years before injuries hindering him

I don't think this is too likely but we can hope. Come on Dick Veins

Edit: I just looked it up and he's 41! FFS
Veins is and will be a lot better than Hughes imo

Both are capable of complete muck when they're off but it seems Veenstra has a better mentality. We'll only know for sure after his two years are over but Hughes has cacked himself repeatedly on tv. Arguably in the top 5 biggest chokers in the PDC, along with Chizzy, White and Heta.

Nicholson is over egging it but if he cuts out the utter guff, there's no reason why Veenstra can't be near top 32 after two years.

He won't do a Noppert though, as A, he's older and B he stayed in the BDO comparatively a lot longer than Noppert, who got out pretty quick while he wasn't fully developed

Barney's chief slave. Also severely addicted to The Ferret.

An ultimate jamboree of Lord Hobo-loving, Sexy Joyce worshipping, Smudger smearing, Goldfingering, Beautiful Biscuit bonanza.

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:18 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:55 pm Wondering if Nicho went a tad over the top on Veenstra...

https://www.sportinglife.com/darts/news ... air/206695

With all due respect to everyone else who came through Q School, most eyes will be on Richard Veenstra because he really is a proper player and a threat for titles.

He has so much talent and an incredible mentality that nobody will ruffle. He’s fast, effective, dangerous and the one I’ll be watching closest over the next six months.

Flyers probably should have won at the Lakeside during his time in the BDO/WDF system – because he was always one of the best players on paper in his five appearances and although his best run was a semi-final, he did win plenty of other big titles.

He could have a career very similar to Gary Anderson, who also failed to land the biggest prize in the BDO before he finally moved to the PDC.

Like Anderson – and other players who found another level after switching – I think Richard will love the structure of PDC events and how you don’t have to wait a few hours for a match! This will play to his strengths. He has a fast style so expect him to challenge in the early Players Championship events this season and put himself in the qualification picture for several majors in his debut year.

This is the right time for Veenstra to make his name after years of treating darts as a ‘hobby’ away from his normal job.

He’ll have plenty of friends in the room and won’t be star struck whatsoever.
I liked his section on Cunt-Neale

He was diplomatic and he's trying to be neutral to the readers, but you can tell deep down Nicholson hates him like everyone else.

He also didn't sugarcoat that others genuinely hate him too.i wonder if it gets mentioned by Sky or ITV if he makes one of the majors.

I really doubt it.

An ultimate jamboree of Lord Hobo-loving, Sexy Joyce worshipping, Smudger smearing, Goldfingering, Beautiful Biscuit bonanza.

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:19 pm

Dick Veins better than Yozza? Hughes is a Euro Tour Champion, cmon now!

Hughes was brilliant, his injury seems to have fucked him

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:22 pm

The standard Hughes showed in the PDC in his best 1-2 years is far better than anything Veenstra has played consistently. I originally compared them based on their time in the BDO. Both were up there in the rankings and danger in every tournament averaging in the low 90s consistently. Hughes managed to raise his game considerably in the PDC, Malt is correct in that.

Mow it's up to Veenstra to see if he can follow. I think he's definitely good enough to keep his card after 2 years but getting into top 32 will be a lot tougher.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:26 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:19 pm

Dick Veins better than Yozza? Hughes is a Euro Tour Champion, cmon now!

Hughes was brilliant, his injury seems to have fucked him

People are allowed weird opinions :D

Hughes was really good for that weekend and tbh, the year on the CT he played some amazing darts

But ever since that ET and I'm including his Matchplay and WGP that year, he's been completely shit
Last edited by DeepFriedRat on Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:30 pm

The Thorn wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:22 pm The standard Hughes showed in the PDC in his best 1-2 years is far better than anything Veenstra has played consistently. I originally compared them based on their time in the BDO. Both were up there in the rankings and danger in every tournament averaging in the low 90s consistently. Hughes managed to raise his game considerably in the PDC, Malt is correct in that.

Mow it's up to Veenstra to see if he can follow. I think he's definitely good enough to keep his card after 2 years but getting into top 32 will be a lot tougher.
I think 1-2 years is over-egging it

Can't forget that he found a way to lose convincingly to Zoran Lerchbacher, Raymond Smith and Jimmy Hendriks* 3 years from 4 at Ally Pally. Decent players, but Hughes should be winning those games, especially the Hendriks one.

*Not counting the Adam Hunt disaster as he was injured.

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:32 pm

DeepFriedRat wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:30 pm
The Thorn wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:22 pm The standard Hughes showed in the PDC in his best 1-2 years is far better than anything Veenstra has played consistently. I originally compared them based on their time in the BDO. Both were up there in the rankings and danger in every tournament averaging in the low 90s consistently. Hughes managed to raise his game considerably in the PDC, Malt is correct in that.

I think 1-2 years is over-egging it

Can't forget that he found a way to lose convincingly to Zoran Lerchbacher, Raymond Smith and Jimmy Hendriks* 3 years from 4 at Ally Pally. Decent players, but Hughes should be winning those games, especially the Hendriks one.

*Not counting the Adam Hunt disaster as he was injured.
I’ll -1 every post you make because of that signature.

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:32 pm

It's a massive win and he deserves credit, but history could remember certain Euro Tour wins as anomalies

Max Hopp
Devon Petersen

Spring to mind. in fact you could make a few comparisons with Hughes and Petersen last few years. Only Petersen has grit.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:01 am

Hughes was better the Veenstra in the BDO. Both were losing Lakeside semi finalists in 2016. Hughes was consistent & Won the Zuiderduin Masters in 2014. Veenstra needs some consistency to his game, gets that and he will do better then someone like Kleermaker
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:21 am

A fancy pants research article here. You have to pay to read beyond the intro. £37 by the look of it. :O
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... ccess=true

‘Stand up if you love the darts!’ – Understanding the key catalysts responsible for the rapid transformation of Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) darts during the 2000s

ABSTRACT

Following the split in darts during the 1990s and a resulting Tomlin order (where terms were agreed in a court of law without admission of liability from either side) in 1997, two governing bodies were recognised as the leading darts organisations: the British Darts Organisation (BDO), and the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC – the new name for the World Darts Council, originally formed in 1992). Though both organisations were initially regarded as equals, the PDC rapidly transformed into the leading version of professional darts in the late 2000s. The multi-million-pound circuit of live PDC darts events held across the globe have been widely celebrated in sports media since the early 2010s. However, what has not been explored in scholarly literature are the key catalysts that led to the rapid changes in the PDC which led to the organisation becoming the preeminent version of professional darts during the 2010s. Using a range of semi-structured interviews and archival information with a variety of professional players, media figures and governance linked to the PDC, this article explicates the key catalysts involved in the development of the PDC as an organisation during the 2000s.
not a girl

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:27 am

What happened to that bloke who was going to write a dissertation to "expose" the PDC?

Elliot Cornish, if I recall correctly. The little gimp.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:31 am

The Ginge Reaper wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:27 am What happened to that bloke who was going to write a dissertation to "expose" the PDC?

Became a hermit during covid, Cried like a baby when people were shaking hands during it. Proceeded to block everyone afterwards.

Fuck him!!

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:57 pm

oche balboa wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:31 am
The Ginge Reaper wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:27 am What happened to that bloke who was going to write a dissertation to "expose" the PDC?

Became a hermit during covid, Cried like a baby when people were shaking hands during it. Proceeded to block everyone afterwards.

Fuck him!!
lol. What happened to that Pranay guy? His twatter bio said 'massively opinionated', followed by something like 'If I talk to you I expect a response'. Absolutely terrifying.
not a girl

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:09 pm

Rogg wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:57 pm

Fuck him!!
lol. What happened to that Pranay guy? His twatter bio said 'massively opinionated', followed by something like 'If I talk to you I expect a response'. Absolutely terrifying.
He got banned of Twitter. On Facebook, He was convinced Gordon Ramsey died and is been replaced by a deep fake

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:30 pm

oche balboa wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:09 pm
Rogg wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:57 pm

Fuck him!!
He got banned of Twitter. On Facebook, He was convinced Gordon Ramsey died and is been replaced by a deep fake
Sounds about right!
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:52 pm

Randall once ate a pancake that was a deepfake of a cotton doily and he didn't notice
not a girl

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:13 pm

Someone has to explain to him what a deepfake is now ffs
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:32 pm

Rogg wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:52 pm Randall once ate a pancake that was a deepfake of a cotton doily and he didn't notice
Sorry what?

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Feb 14, 2023 5:16 pm

Randall wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:32 pm
Rogg wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:52 pm Randall once ate a pancake that was a deepfake of a cotton doily and he didn't notice
Sorry what?
How to explain deepfakes. It's one thing that looks like another. Imagine watching Bristow v Lowe but somebody has 3D-pasted Duzza's face over Lowe's so that he convincingly looks like Duzza from every angle.
not a girl