Darts articles in the Media thread

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
ChrisW

Re: Darts articles in the Media thread

Post by ChrisW » Fri May 26, 2023 10:20 am

Luckily the festival of darts on November 11th has been included.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon May 29, 2023 9:09 am

https://dartsnews.com/pdc/sleeping-van- ... ague-darts

After the awards ceremony and other commitments, the players returned to the players' hotel, where drinks were had in the bar. However, not all semi-finalists appeared to be up for that, as Smith did not show up.

Van Gerwen, Price and Clayton then could not resist teasing the world champion some more via social media. The three darters present took a selfie and wondered if 'Bullyboy' was already in bed.

not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue May 30, 2023 4:48 pm

https://dartsnews.com/pdc/question-abou ... illionaire

Clemmy was a quiz question on the German 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire?'
'He was asked at which tournament Gabriel Clemens managed to make history at the beginning of this year. The candidate could choose from the World Darts Championship, the Four Hills Tournament, NFL Playoffs and the Australian Open.

''Obvious answer B right?"'', joked Clemens on Instagram with a picture of the quiz question attached.'

not a girl

Potter's Lake

Post by Potter's Lake » Tue May 30, 2023 7:01 pm

100% Ask the Audience, impressive.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:21 am

Why darts is more popular than ever before
https://www.swlondoner.co.uk/sport/3105 ... ver-before

The sport of darts is exploding in popularity, with 33% more viewers and 10% more winnings for its players in the last year alone.

The 2023 PDC World Darts Championship Final between Michael Smith and Michael van Gerwen saw almost two million people tune in to Sky Sports, half a million more than in 2022 and almost a million more than in 2021, seeing the ratings double in just two years.

---

PDC Media Executive Josh Gorton believes the sport’s massive increase in popularity is down to a whole host of factors, but the individual rivalries and characters cannot be overlooked.

Gorton’s first experience watching darts was the iconic 2007 World Championship Final, when Dutchman Raymond van Barneveld overcame a 3-0 set deficit to beat then-11-time world champion Phil Taylor and win the title.

That final was the first to top one million TV viewers on Sky, and with good reason too.

Gorton said: “I think in all sports you need a rivalry – Phil Taylor at the time was a real dominant figure in the sport – seeing that rivalry emerge between him and Barney was what really gave darts its first real boom in joining the PDC.

“There are big characters in the sport, darts is a predominantly working-class sport with working-class people, and I think that appeals to many – just look at Peter Wright, he’s a brand in himself!

“The atmosphere is unique as well, a sort of party atmosphere.”

---

The PDC Order of Merit – a ranking system based on prize money won over a two-year period by players in ranking tournaments – now shows more money in darts than ever before, the sum of the top 10 earners’ winnings passing £7 million for the first time.

Gorton commented on how The Order of Merit no longer represents the top 10 arrow-smiths making a professional living out of the sport, as pretty much all of the top 20 are now full-time, professional darts players.

Following a period of Taylor dominance, and van Barneveld’s mid-noughties charge, the level of competition has levelled up a gear and last year saw eight different TV title winners.

Gorton recalled his early days following the sport and compared it to now – painting the picture of a more globally popular game.

He said: “When I first started watching the darts in 2006, all eight quarter-finalists were English. In 2007, we had seven English plus van Barneveld.

“In the 2022/23 tournament, the four semi-finalists contained a German, Belgian, Dutch and one English representative.

“It’s such a global game now. The World Cup of Darts has even been expanded from 32 teams to 40 this year.”

---

And this globalisation of the sport shows no sign of slowing down.

Smith and van Gerwen’s astonishing final went viral worldwide as Smith threw a nine-dart finish after van Gerwen missed his ninth throw to complete the feat – bringing even more attention to the sport.

Gorton added: “The nine-darter and Wayne Mardle’s commentary went absolutely viral – Smith was interviewed by Ariel Helwani, the MMA journalist who’s absolutely huge in America, taking the sport across the pond.

“It wasn’t just the final as well – German Gabriel Clemens’ sensational run to the semi-final generated massive interest.

“We had German TV news crews coming over from the quarter-finals onwards – and we’re not just talking sports stations – there was a peak of 3.78 million global viewers in his semi-final against Smith!”

---

While darts has always been a staple feature of pubs and social clubs for a number of years, much of the public needed a reminder of how easy it is to play over the Covid pandemic.

Gorton explained: “Darts was one of the first sports to come out of the pandemic, because there was literally nothing on.

“All of a sudden, the PDC launched the Home Tour, which did huge numbers the first few nights.

“Home darts and online darts have continued since then.”

While the entertainment aspect of darts undoubtedly suffered during Covid – losing that party atmosphere behind closed doors – it has helped to cultivate the perfect storm.

Sell-out crowds, massive TV viewing that has now gone global, and a new generation of even more gifted darts players eager to take each other on and celebrate their eccentricities.

It seems the best is yet to come.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:33 am

Ironic at its most popular I've lost interest

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:49 am

Randall wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:33 am Ironic at its most popular I've lost interest
Darts is like Doctor Who. Withered in the 80s, warmed up in the 00s and then boom. Nerdy things lose some of their appeal when they become popular. Ask any dork.
not a girl

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:59 am

I think the biggest reasons why some long-time fans have struggled to maintain interest in current darts are overexposure and how long they've been following it.

The novelty has worn off for them.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:05 am

Darts winnings up by 10%.

So they have gone up by inflation then
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:06 am

That’s why the pro tour and euro tour is good because you get exposed to different players. I think if I only watched majors on tv I’d grow quickly tired of it all

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:14 am

People for Crossy a weirdo for his funny habits...

The small rituals that have helped turn Gerwyn Price into a darts superstar

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/g ... rview-2023
not a girl

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:17 am

Rogg wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:49 am
Randall wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:33 am Ironic at its most popular I've lost interest
Darts is like Doctor Who. Withered in the 80s, warmed up in the 00s and then boom. Nerdy things lose some of their appeal when they become popular. Ask any dork.
Are you calling Randy a dork? :lol:

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:18 am

I lost all interest in who in 86

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 am

TheMalteseDart wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:06 am That’s why the pro tour and euro tour is good because you get exposed to different players. I think if I only watched majors on tv I’d grow quickly tired of it all
The anticipation of a match should be good. TV Events/Majors are still good to watch and i believe September-January is the best time for a darts fan has its full of tv events. I'm different to you all, I much prefer watching Senior darts, WDF Darts, PDC Majors and in and out of Modus. I rarely watch the Euro Tour

There are now different types of darts fan. When i was at the UK Open i was mainly at 3-8 boards and i loved it as i enjoy multiple darts going on at the same time, It's why i rarely look at a game on DC as i just watch the scores on the main page. I do this for Football & Cricket too

I'm a weirdo
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 am

Spending 18 hours a day at work doesn't help

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:51 am

oche balboa wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 am The anticipation of a match should be good. TV Events/Majors are still good to watch and i believe September-January is the best time for a darts fan has its full of tv events. I'm different to you all, I much prefer watching Senior darts, WDF Darts, PDC Majors and in and out of Modus. I rarely watch the Euro Tour

There are now different types of darts fan. When i was at the UK Open i was mainly at 3-8 boards and i loved it as i enjoy multiple darts going on at the same time, It's why i rarely look at a game on DC as i just watch the scores on the main page. I do this for Football & Cricket too

I'm a weirdo
Amazingly Oche, other than the parts about WDF and Modus, I actually agree with all of this post.

Especially the final sentence ;)
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:15 am

hahaha

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:16 am

tungsten tossers wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:19 am
Spending 18 hours a day at work doesn't help
There is that

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:17 am

And being old

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Jun 01, 2023 1:07 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:17 am
Rogg wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:49 am
Are you calling Randy a dork? :lol:
I am. Dork is a solid quality. Although the actual definition isn't completely kind.

A quirky, silly and/or stupid, socially inept person, or one who is out of touch with contemporary trends and typically has unfashionable hobbies.
not a girl