Biggest influence on you in darts

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Dicie

Post by Dicie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Who was it, and what did they do?

A few lines about a player, or friend, or enemy that drove you on in the darting world.

Was a local bloke for me. Billy murphy.

Would head to the local at home, take the darts out of the pocket and he would stir from his slumber at the bar. Was always a handy player, and had played county for years, but seemed to show very little interest in playing anymore. I walked in one evening and happened to be throwing alone, and he walked over and said, "You wont improve throwing alone, let me beat you a few times, then you might get better"

I laughed.

After 10 legs i wasnt laughing any more.

10 - 0

"Right, thats me done for another 5 years, see you again"

Few nights later i was in again, still no one had any interest in playing, so he got up from the bar again. Took me 8 nights to take my first leg, was like winning the lotto.

We became good mates after that, thou a 20 yr age gap, he would often call to the house and tell me to get the darts there was a comp on, he would drive, sit there, and watch. (Never played without a drink)

Billy passed away a few weeks back, and at his funeral his son came over and said, my dad stopped playing darts over locals abusing him for winning so often, he didnt throw a dart outside of the house for 14 years till that evening in the bar with you, he would always practice at home thou.

Fekkin liar, never mentioned to me he had a board at home.

Whats your story

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Rout.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Justin Credible

Re: Biggest influence on you in darts

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:51 pm

The best level I reached was pub standard C, although we got promoted to B I packed up shortly afterwards.

anyhow there was this fat cunt that played in the same team as steve coveney, steve was a fantastic player, they played in the pub I drank in, the old devonshire arms..but his buddy annoyed the living fuck out of me, dozy prick that thought he was funny cool and all the things he wasn't. I did not like him, and he knew it.
He started prancing about like a prick whenever he was holding the board and I was up next to play.

I can say he did more at that time to up my game, he was far superior to me on the board but after a while I dont know if i got inside his head but i started playing my best games ever against him and soon my record was almost 50/50 with him which was a miracle.

Dicie

Post by Dicie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Justin Credible wrote:The best level I reached was pub standard C, although we got promoted to B I packed up shortly afterwards.

anyhow there was this fat cunt that played in the same team as steve coveney, steve was a fantastic player, they played in the pub I drank in, the old devonshire arms..but his buddy annoyed the living fuck out of me, dozy prick that thought he was funny cool and all the things he wasn't. I did not like him, and he knew it.
He started prancing about like a prick whenever he was holding the board and I was up next to play.

I can say he did more at that time to up my game, he was far superior to me on the board but after a while I dont know if i got inside his head but i started playing my best games ever against him and soon my record was almost 50/50 with him which was a miracle.

Mark o Regan?

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:55 pm

how did you guess ?

He was not a bad person, but by christ he annoyed me at times back then

Dicie

Post by Dicie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:57 pm

Justin Credible wrote:how did you guess ?

He was not a bad person, but by christ he annoyed me at times back then
He would annoy a fuckin army!!!

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 pm

In terms of TV heroes it was bristow.........everything told me that I should be hating him like everyone else, but i could not, I loved him, not only was he so cocky he would back it up the few times i saw him live back then.

Sprocket501

Post by Sprocket501 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:04 pm

Justin Credible wrote:In terms of TV heroes it was bristow.........everything told me that I should be hating him like everyone else, but i could not, I loved him, not only was he so cocky he would back it up the few times i saw him live back then.
Agree with this in its entirity.

Dicie

Post by Dicie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:06 pm

Justin Credible wrote:In terms of TV heroes it was bristow.........everything told me that I should be hating him like everyone else, but i could not, I loved him, not only was he so cocky he would back it up the few times i saw him live back then.

My auld fella played him in the metropole, late 80s. Do you recall they had the nations cup there. Was huge back then. . He was excellent.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:10 pm

dont remember, back then only I in my family had any interest in darts, still more or less the same, although one brother only watches the pdc worlds.

As you know in ireland back then darts was hardly ever mentioned outside the pub, events like that in the metropole would be unknown about to the likes of me back at around 17 or 15 only finding my footing in proper bars and setting myself up for a serious piss up that would last decades.

gazman

Post by gazman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:16 pm

No one locally was my reason for taking up the game, just that there was a board in the local and it was cheaper than playing pool. Professional influence for me was Burnett. Loved his arrogance at the time.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:51 pm

Bristow for me as well, I couldn't hit a pig's arse with a banjo but I bought a set of his darts and improved, got the bug. If only I had then the will I have now to improve!
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Noisycrowds

Post by Noisycrowds » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:58 am

same here watching bristow

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:58 pm

in the early year with the exception of Bristow and Bob Anderson i would inevitably almost always shout for the underdog in matches.

What i loved about lakeshite in the early years was seeing the new players from around the world for the first time......how things have changed

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:06 pm

8 guaranteed this year gaz, copying the pdc model at last.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:07 pm

Darth Randall wrote:8 guaranteed this year gaz, copying the pdc model at last.

nice to see the bdop copy the pdc yet again...........piggybacking of the pdc is the new way forward for them

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:11 pm

for anyone of a certain age bristow would have been the one to turn them onto darts.

though i always found myself cheering for lowe when they played.

The Marmite Kid

Post by The Marmite Kid » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:10 pm

Jim Bowen.

mattp

Post by mattp » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Darth Randall wrote:for anyone of a certain age bristow would have been the one to turn them onto darts.

though i always found myself cheering for lowe when they played.
I agree entirely with this. I didn't dislike Bristow but always found myself cheering the other fella most of the time - but in a light-hearted way, not the bitter way I do with Taylor :p

Then I went off darts for a few years, missed the split, saw the odd World Championship during the 90's, but nothing really enthused me...enjoyed Beaton's win, Hankey's 2000 win, Fordham's run were the only ones that really stick in my mind.
And then a few years back started getting back into it properly again, with Wade's 2007 form and Webby's world championship win the big catalysts.
Then I got divorced....
Decided to attend a forum gathering, bought some arrows, and that's it really.
So my biggest influence was splitting up with my ex......

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:23 pm

lowe just always seemed nice, played with a smile, nothing really to dislike.

"he's got no hair and we dont care, johnny johnny lowe"