cricket thread

Life would be boring without it!
KingBinglin

Re: cricket thread

Post by KingBinglin » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:23 pm

Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:11 pm Pope is vice Captain so they will certainly pick him for the First Test, and he'll make a load of runs against Sri Lanka and the Windies and secure his place for the next 2 years hopefully.

I'd forgotten about Potts. Along with Tongue he seems promising, add in Wood and they might be your best 3 seamers for the next Ashes.

Is Jimmy part of the plans for The Ashes? He'll be 43 by then and even at his best was not too dangerous in Aussie conditions except under lights.
I forgot about Tongue as well.

As for Anderson, if his pace is up there and he's on it, why not? I agree he's probably tame outside of England, but there are stats that show he has adapted massively as a bowler overseas but hes not been helped by the batting.

Given a few years, who are the Aussie quicks?

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:27 pm

KingBinglin wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:23 pm
Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:11 pm Pope is vice Captain so they will certainly pick him for the First Test, and he'll make a load of runs against Sri Lanka and the Windies and secure his place for the next 2 years hopefully.

I'd forgotten about Potts. Along with Tongue he seems promising, add in Wood and they might be your best 3 seamers for the next Ashes.

Is Jimmy part of the plans for The Ashes? He'll be 43 by then and even at his best was not too dangerous in Aussie conditions except under lights.

As for Anderson, if his pace is up there and he's on it, why not? I agree he's probably tame outside of England, but there are stats that show he has adapted massively as a bowler overseas but hes not been helped by the batting.

Barring injury I think Australia are planning on the current 4 all being there in 25/26.

Todd Murphy is the next choice spinner, beyond that I'm not sure.

Lance Morris has played some ODIs and looks the most promising young quick.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:34 pm

Matthew Fisher of Yorkshire may be one to consider for the ashes in Australia he has good bounce and carry. We somehow need to get Archer fit as he would be brilliant in Australian conditions.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

KingBinglin

Post by KingBinglin » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:37 pm

Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:27 pm
Barring injury I think Australia are planning on the current 4 all being there in 25/26.

Cummings will be there, Hazelwood yes, I can't see Starc though. Bartlett any good?

Dfc180

Post by Dfc180 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:37 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:34 pm

Matthew Fisher of Yorkshire may be one to consider for the ashes in Australia he has good bounce and carry. We somehow need to get Archer fit as he would be brilliant in Australian conditions.
I fear we have missed the chance with Archer. Can't see him playing a lot of test cricket in the future

KingBinglin

Post by KingBinglin » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:39 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:34 pm
Fisher should be in the mix. Archer, if only! Hopefully, what we believe is correct and his action is easy enough to pick back up.

KingBinglin

Post by KingBinglin » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:41 pm

Dfc180 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:37 pm
I fear we have missed the chance with Archer. Can't see him playing a lot of test cricket in the future
28 years old, could still have 7 years.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:46 pm

KingBinglin wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:37 pm
Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:27 pm

Cummings will be there, Hazelwood yes, I can't see Starc though. Bartlett any good?
Starc will still be 35 in the next Ashes and he's very fit.

Haven't seen much of Bartlett but he looks handy. Not as quick as Morris.

Dfc180

Post by Dfc180 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:51 pm

KingBinglin wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:41 pm
Dfc180 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:37 pm
28 years old, could still have 7 years.
Can see him focusing on t20 cricket though. Hope not but don't think his body is cut out for the workload of test cricket

KingBinglin

Post by KingBinglin » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:58 pm

Dfc180 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:51 pm
Can see him focusing on t20 cricket though. Hope not but don't think his body is cut out for the workload of test cricket
That's what he should do.
Captain Hobo wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:46 pm

Starc will still be 35 in the next Ashes and he's very fit.
Fair point...but I think of the all the seamers, he'll be the one to say 'out' the first. Might be that the next Ashes is that point though.

shenmue

Post by shenmue » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:03 am

Agreed

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:39 am

Aussies 77/4 at Stumps Day 3.

279 is the target.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:47 am

Captain Hobo wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:39 am Aussies 77/4 at Stumps Day 3.

279 is the target.
Extremely unlikely

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:48 am

Stokes is obviously going to defend the top order but something has to change
You can't beat decent sides when you can't bat 50 overs

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:15 am

Ben Stokes warns against writing his side off despite 4-1 series loss

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/68500386

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:40 am

They lost this series on mentality
Simple as that

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:08 am

KingBinglin wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:33 pm Lots of questions for England to address and I'm not sure they are willing to do so. First up is what to do about Hartley (not a fan of but I guess he'll be in the England thinking for a while) and Bashir. Both are unlikely to first choice for their counties but both need to play. For me, Bashir should be above Leach in the Somerset pecking order as I think he has a much higher ceiling. Hartley, will learn from having Lyon around but, again, he needs to be playing. Do they go out on loan, England try to influence Lancs and Somerset or do they lurk in the 2nds?

Then there is the question over a few of the players. For me, Robinson, Bairstow and Pope should be discarded. All have ability but all have their flaws. Pope, I'd hoped had turned the corner after his 196 in the 1st test but he's reverted to norm. Let him go and bully county attacks at the Oval as he's not currently up to test standard. Robinson has fitness and attitude problems (and I rather see Potts given his place) and Bairstow is a piss-baby.

Crawley and Duckett should be given the summer as they have been as solid an opening partnership as we have had for ages. However, they need to improve their shot selection and learn how to adjust their tempo to suit the match condition. Something, which I think a lot of the players need to do. Root needs a talking to - just play as Root not whatever he has been trying at times. He scores quickly enough, all around the ground naturally. By all means, play ramps and scoops but pick the moment a little better.

Stokes needs to pace himself as captain. He will be all madcap ideas one day and then look flat the next. I do like his approach and applaud positive cricket but as ever, play the situation. You don't have to try to be 'out there' just for the sake of it.

Come the first test in the summer I'd hope the team looks like this (I'm assuming Stokes will be bowling his full load by then so room to play 2 spinners / extra seamer):

Crawley
Duckett
Bohannon /Lawrence
Root
Brook
Stokes
Foakes
Ahmed / Woakes
Potts / Wood
Anderson
Bashir
Crawley
Duckett
Pope
Root
Brook
Bairstow
Stokes
Woakes
Wood
Hartley
Anderson

That would be my pick. Pope and Bairstow are under scrutiny and need to score. I would like to see Tongue and maybe Olly Stone get some game time and Bashir. Lawrence and Foakes are there ready if others fail.
I’m not 100% convinced by Robinson.
If Archer is fit and wants to play test cricket, he must play some part. Like Wood, he needs wrapping up in cotton wool and used when appropriate. If Fishers has a good season with Yorkshire he is worth another look.
We need to be ultimately looking at a team that can adapt well to Australian conditions with bat and ball.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:11 am

Randall wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:40 am They lost this series on mentality
Simple as that
We actually had a lot of very good sessions but the ones we lost were disastrous and game changing. It really should have been 2-2 going into the final test.
Whilst India had their best player missing for the series. We had ‘Brooky’ missing who plays well in sub continent conditions.
On a positive, Hartley and Bashir did well and they should be our main spinners moving forward.
Last edited by HalloweenJack on Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:16 am

279 is the target.
I see the Aussies used EIGHT different players bowling in the NZ second innings.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:18 am

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:16 am

279 is the target.
I see the Aussies used EIGHT different players bowling in the NZ second innings.
'informative'