Pro Wrestling

Movies, music and TV
Jimmi

Re: Pro Wrestling

Post by Jimmi » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:31 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:25 pm
Jimmi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:02 am it would be interesting to see an alternate universe where WCW won the Monday Night Wars and the WWF was the one that went out of business

I wonder if WCW would still be going now?
I think WCW would have imploded eventually, even if the WWF's boom didn't occur and their business declined to the point where they went under. I suspect that Bischoff and co would have carried on booking the same acts in prominent spots to even decreasing returns (Hogan, NWO, etc). I think they would have always fumbled with Goldberg' at some point too.

That said, while Jamie Kellner (CEO of Turner Broadcasting) didn't want WCW shows shown on Time Warner stations, and Brad Siegal (Turner Executive in charge of WCW) also wanted Time Warner to get rid of it by 2000, the story goes that Vince and a former Turner executive close to Siegal conspired to ensure WCW shows were cancelled on Turner networks and for the promotion to be sold to Vince for a relatively small sum. There were apparently higher bidders (Bischoff) who would have kept the company up and running on other networks into the 2000s, at least for a while -https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/editoria ... esponsible.

So I guess it's possible had that WCW won the war, and Vince also gone under, that WCW would still be around today with different owners.
The Meltzer observer reviews I’ve been reading were a great insight at the time as to what was going on regarding the sale of WCW
Mad to think they were going to sell it off to Vince for as little as possible

“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:49 pm

Jimmi wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:31 pm The Meltzer observer reviews I’ve been reading were a great insight at the time as to what was going on regarding the sale of WCW
Mad to think they were going to sell it off to Vince for as little as possible
Apparently the former Turner executive who engineered the cheap sale of WCW to Vince through Siegal even told people that the sale to Bischoff/Fusient wasn't going to go through:

Apparently Keller's coverage of the WCW sale was superior to Meltzer's at the time - http://wrestlingclassics.com/.ubb/ultim ... p=1#000001
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

shenmue

Post by shenmue » Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:45 am

Darby Allin is a fucking idiot, Eddie kingston still looks like shit and his strikes are some of the worst in wrestling history.

Takashita continues to impress but the lack of selling in the match vs william ospreay went too far for me personally, fun for what it was i suppose.

Hangman beating up the refs in the world title match was the highlight of the three way for the world title, I like obese joe but page and swerve do nothing for me.

Thank you sting.

Some thoughts on the matches i catched from the aew ppv that just finished.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:35 am

shenmue wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:45 am Takashita continues to impress but the lack of selling in the match vs william ospreay went too far for me personally, fun for what it was i suppose.
I spent an afternoon late last year watching some current wrestling.

During which I watched 3 Ospreay bouts. He's not my cup of tea either. Then again the other bouts I watched, which featured Omega and Rollins, did little for me either.

Hence why the only current wrestling matches I watch are Danielson bouts.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:44 am

shenmue wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:45 am Thank you sting.
I was never much of a Sting guy, but his bouts with Vader in WCW were incredible. Some of the best US bouts of the 1990s.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:32 pm

Poor Dom. 🫣

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:22 am

shenmue wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:45 am Darby Allin is a fucking idiot, Eddie kingston still looks like shit and his strikes are some of the worst in wrestling history.

Takashita continues to impress but the lack of selling in the match vs william ospreay went too far for me personally, fun for what it was i suppose.

Hangman beating up the refs in the world title match was the highlight of the three way for the world title, I like obese joe but page and swerve do nothing for me.

Thank you sting.

Some thoughts on the matches i catched from the aew ppv that just finished.
Darby is a moron and will end up in a wheelchair soon
I like Kingston, more for his promo work than his in-ring work

I like Takashita and Osprey - Agreed about the selling but some of the shit that Osprey can pull off is a little bit mind blowing
Best match of the night, along with the FTR - BCC match

I like Swerve, never saw him in WWE. He’s impressed me since the first time I saw him in AEW
Think they should have pulled the trigger and put the title on him here
Samoa Joe is a fantastic talent all round, I just can’t connect with him fully. Think it’s because I never watched TNA and when he finally went to WWE, I started tuning out

+1 - Thank you Sting
Although, like Senna, I was never a huge fan, as I never watched WCW or TNA. And when he finally got to WWE, he was way past his prime
Although, I respect him for everything he’s done and accomplished in professional wrestling and enjoyed his run in AEW a lot

“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:44 am

Jimmi wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:22 am Samoa Joe is a fantastic talent all round, I just can’t connect with him fully. Think it’s because I never watched TNA and when he finally went to WWE, I started tuning out
Joe's peak came in the mid-2000s in ROH and TNA. It was a short peak, but an exceptional one.

I recently watched some of his best bouts from that timeframe and they have aged well. I'd say with the exceptions of Rey and Eddie he's probably my favourite in-ring performer of that period. I probably even prefer his work to Danielson's during that timeframe.

I get what you mean though. I have no connection to any of Danielson's recent opponents (MJF, Starks, Page, Okada, etc). Simply because I don't watch modern stuff beyond Danielson matches and the odd segment that crops up on YouTube.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:33 am

Wrestling in 2024 is so much different to Wrestling 30 years ago. There's not the same type of buzz in matches now compared to 90s I suppose Kayfabe helped in the 90s
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:26 pm

oche balboa wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:33 am Wrestling in 2024 is so much different to Wrestling 30 years ago. There's not the same type of buzz in matches now compared to 90s I suppose Kayfabe helped in the 90s
Kayfabe was always a bit of a myth apparently. People mostly knew it wasn't real in previous decades.

The style of wrestling changed as the decades progressed though. It became more theatrical and less credible.

I do not follow the current stuff, but apparently WWE is more popular now than it has been in over 2 decades. The Bloodline angle featuring Reigns is apperently super popular and Rhodes is a strong draw also.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:24 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:26 pm
oche balboa wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:33 am Wrestling in 2024 is so much different to Wrestling 30 years ago. There's not the same type of buzz in matches now compared to 90s I suppose Kayfabe helped in the 90s
Kayfabe was always a bit of a myth apparently. People mostly knew it wasn't real in previous decades.

The style of wrestling changed as the decades progressed though. It became more theatrical and less credible.

I do not follow the current stuff, but apparently WWE is more popular now than it has been in over 2 decades. The Bloodline angle featuring Reigns is apperently super popular and Rhodes is a strong draw also.
I don’t see how The Bloodline storyline is as popular as it is.
Roman Reigns and The Uso’s are dull, always have been

Dfc180

Post by Dfc180 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:51 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:26 pm

It's about time for the end of the Bloodline and other things to be focused on in my opinion, but overall the quality of matches have been a lot better in the last couple of years

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:58 pm

Dfc180 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:51 pm It's about time for the end of the Bloodline and other things to be focused on in my opinion, but overall the quality of matches have been a lot better in the last couple of years
I'm not a regular viewer.

From what I've read though, the idea appears to be that Rhodes will beat Reigns at WM and become the ace of the promotion. Whereas Reigns will then work Rock in a special attraction bout down the road.

I didn't mind Cody when I used to watch, but I would not have guessed he'd eventually become a strong main event draw. Good for him.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:00 pm

It's all scripted
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:07 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:00 pm It's all scripted
Thorn denying free will, there.

Hallelujah.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:41 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:00 pm It's all scripted

Who knows....

Who cares.....

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:44 pm

Going straight into post of the year that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:18 pm

Royal Rumble this year finished me off for good. I’m a late 90s baby so missed the insane era of the late 80s and early 90s but still grew up with a really good era of wrestlers and non PC storylines. It’s dull now and there wasn’t even any legends in the royal rumble, only ones that turned up from my era which was like 2006-2011 were Carlito, CM Punk, Rhodes and The Miz, barely recognised anyone.

If I watched a Royal Rumble from the late noughties now the talent involved would probably be insane

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:27 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:18 pm Royal Rumble this year finished me off for good. I’m a late 90s baby so missed the insane era of the late 80s and early 90s but still grew up with a really good era of wrestlers and non PC storylines. It’s dull now and there wasn’t even any legends in the royal rumble, only ones that turned up from my era which was like 2006-2011 were Carlito, CM Punk, Rhodes and The Miz, barely recognised anyone.

If I watched a Royal Rumble from the late noughties now the talent involved would probably be insane
Interested to know which storylines you consider non-PC?

Who knows....

Who cares.....

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:44 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:27 pm
TheMalteseDart wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:18 pm Royal Rumble this year finished me off for good. I’m a late 90s baby so missed the insane era of the late 80s and early 90s but still grew up with a really good era of wrestlers and non PC storylines. It’s dull now and there wasn’t even any legends in the royal rumble, only ones that turned up from my era which was like 2006-2011 were Carlito, CM Punk, Rhodes and The Miz, barely recognised anyone.

Interested to know which storylines you consider non-PC?
I can’t remember, I was about 9 when I watched wrestling, but when I look back at old clips there were definitely storylines and comments from wrestlers and commentators they’d never get away with now.

Just off the top of my head there was a segment with JBL at the Mexican border, bra and panties matches, Vince McMahon doing a segment at a UK wwe event which was just blatantly racist.

The outrageous stuff they used to say and do was what made it funny, understandably wouldn’t go down at all today but nobody questioned it at the time