Darts experience

How's your arrers going?
Buccellati

Darts experience

Post by Buccellati » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:37 pm

Hi all,

I've been playing darts for about 1.5 years now. I've gone from a 30-ish average up to a 75-80 average now during practice.

Since May I have been playing a few games on the DT and games in WDF-related tournaments. (never played a match against someone else in person before then-- done a few online darts matches but am not a fan - I won a few games though) - there's not really a darts community in my area, so it's quite impossible to play against others nearby (within 40 miles). So all I do are PDC DT games and WDF-related tournaments.

As you can understand, or not, I was (still am) very nervous when playing a game.

Although the draw hasn't been lucky for me at times, in all those games I have played since I started playing matches (about 15) I haven't averaged more than in the mid-60s. And I have never won a game. (15-0 loss streak lol) Got close in a few games (last leg decider lost), but other than that; nothing (and I got whitewashed a few times (by people averaging mid-60s to mid-70s)).

I keep averaging between 55 and 65 during those matches. Now, I don't blame all of this on my nerves as that's something that will always be a part of the game, but I am wondering whether I am good enough to actually compete in those competitions. I'm not sure what can be done.

What do you all think?

Is there something that can be done? Do I need to acknowledge I'm not good enough? Do I need to do certain practice games? Or just keep going and hope I'll have a lucky draw at one point, win that game, and just hope I'll be able to win more games from then?

Thanks!
Last edited by Buccellati on Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Ginge Reaper

Re: Darts experience

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:38 pm

Play DBG.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:40 pm

Buccellati wrote:Hi all,

I've been playing darts for about 1.5 years now. I've gone from a 30-ish average up to a 75-80 average now during practice.

Since May I have been playing a few games on the DT and games in WDF-related tournaments. (never played a match against someone else in person before then-- done a few online darts matches but am not a fan - I won a few games though) - there's not really a darts community in my area, so it's quite impossible to play against others nearby (within 40 miles). So all I do are PDC DT games and WDF-related tournaments.

As you can understand, or not, I was (still am) very nervous when playing a game.

Although the draw hasn't been lucky for me at times, in all those games I have played since I started playing matches (about 15) I haven't averaged more than in the mid-60s. And I have never won a game. (15-0 loss streak lol) Got close in a few games (last leg decider lost), but other than that; nothing (and I got whitewashed a few times (by people averaging mid-60s to mid-70s)).

I keep averaging between 55 and 65 during those matches. Now, I don't blame all of this on my nerves as that's something that will always be a part of the game, but I am wondering whether I am good enough to actually compete in those competitions. I'm not sure what can be done.

What do you all think?

Is there something that can be done? Do I need to acknowledge I'm not good enough? Do I need to do certain practice games? Or just keep going and hope I'll have a lucky draw at one point, win that game, and just hope I'll be able to win more games from then?

Thanks!
Nothing to panic about mate, just keep going and you’re bound to win one.

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:40 pm

Ross, Bob wrote:

What do you all think?

Thanks!
Oh, and kill yourself.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:46 pm

Hello mate, welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will tell you to fuck off but that's customary on this forum. Don't take it to heart and stay around!

You have only been playing for a short while and playing competitions for 6 months. That is basically nothing. I would say the level you're at is pretty good for that amount of time. For what it's worth you are already better than a lot of people who play darts on this forum. It's true that you won't have much success on the Development Tour with 60 averages, but you have plenty of room and plenty of time to improve. Based on your progress in this short amount of time I am pretty sure you will get better, if you stick to it.

The more experience you earn in competitions the better you will get. Play as much as you can and the nerves will get better. I would also encourage you to play online more. It's pretty simple, you can get a camera setup for cheap but even that's not necessary. I think playing others online is a great way to simulate pressure in your practice sessions if you can't actually play people in person.

For general advice on practice, mentality, outshots and a lot more, I really recommend this website. http://www.dartbase.com/
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:48 pm

Ross, Bob wrote:
Ross, Bob wrote:

What do you all think?

Thanks!
Oh, and kill yourself.
Don’t kill yourself mate, kill Thorn instead.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:54 pm

Atfer 1.5 years if you had the natural ability to go further it would probably have appeared if were honest.
Focus on enjoying the game and stop worrying about averages

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:55 pm

Randall wrote:Atfer 1.5 years if you had the natural ability to go further it would probably have appeared if were honest.
Focus on enjoying the game and stop worrying about averages
Something about trophies.

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:05 pm

Ive played for 2 years and average 40 so i hope that gives you a confidence boost. You're a good player, just keep playing and the more you get used to it the nerves will just start to ease.

A lot of players drink so could do that as well

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:08 pm

I played on and off for 20 years and could no more tell you what I averaged than fly in the air.
This is a very much a modern fascination.

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:33 pm

Randall wrote:I played on and off for 120 years and could no more tell you what I averaged than fly in the air.
This is a very much a modern fascination.
Fixed your typo mate.

Buccellati

Post by Buccellati » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:29 pm

The Thorn wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:46 pm Hello mate, welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will tell you to fuck off but that's customary on this forum. Don't take it to heart and stay around!

You have only been playing for a short while and playing competitions for 6 months. That is basically nothing. I would say the level you're at is pretty good for that amount of time. For what it's worth you are already better than a lot of people who play darts on this forum. It's true that you won't have much success on the Development Tour with 60 averages, but you have plenty of room and plenty of time to improve. Based on your progress in this short amount of time I am pretty sure you will get better, if you stick to it.

The more experience you earn in competitions the better you will get. Play as much as you can and the nerves will get better. I would also encourage you to play online more. It's pretty simple, you can get a camera setup for cheap but even that's not necessary. I think playing others online is a great way to simulate pressure in your practice sessions if you can't actually play people in person.

For general advice on practice, mentality, outshots and a lot more, I really recommend this website. http://www.dartbase.com/
Cheers for the welcome and advice, appreciated! Maybe I'm just too keen on the averages, and obviously losing all your matches doesn't really help lol.

I have played a few online matches and won a few, but it's not really my cup of tea, but I'll try and play some more games if that improves my game, for sure!

I am not sure whether I should be playing in the development tour in a few months. The reason why I went this year was just to see how far I really was in regard to my development.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:32 pm

Buccellati wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:29 pm
The Thorn wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:46 pm Hello mate, welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will tell you to fuck off but that's customary on this forum. Don't take it to heart and stay around!

Cheers for the welcome and advice, appreciated! Maybe I'm just too keen on the averages, and obviously losing all your matches doesn't really help lol.

I have played a few online matches and won a few, but it's not really my cup of tea, but I'll try and play some more games if that improves my game, for sure!

I am not sure whether I should be playing in the development tour in a few months. The reason why I went this year was just to see how far I really was in regard to my development.
The thing is, you can't fully practice being in a competition. It's always going to be different, even for professional players. The only way you will progress in competitions is if you play competitions. So I would suggest you to keep trying the Development Tour, and also anything else that's viable for you. Are there no local events in your area, or a league you could join?

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:36 pm

Definitely go, it's called 'development' for a reason and it's a good environment to learn win or lose

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:43 pm

The Thorn wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:32 pm

The thing is, you can't fully practice being in a competition. It's always going to be different, even for professional players. The only way you will progress in competitions is if you play competitions. So I would suggest you to keep trying the Development Tour, and also anything else that's viable for you. Are there no local events in your area, or a league you could join?
Or as Adrian Lewis famously said "you can't practice crapping yourself"

Well you can, but only in the right environment, not on the practice board.

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:46 pm

The Thorn wrote:

Bellyboy begs to differ.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:48 pm

Ross, Bob wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:46 pm
The Thorn wrote:

Bellyboy begs to differ.
He figured it out in the end. It was a long and bumpy road but he has done it finally.

Now the floodgates will open and many more to come.

Buccellati

Post by Buccellati » Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:30 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:05 pm Ive played for 2 years and average 40 so i hope that gives you a confidence boost. You're a good player, just keep playing and the more you get used to it the nerves will just start to ease.

A lot of players drink so could do that as well
TheMalteseDart wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:36 pm Definitely go, it's called 'development' for a reason and it's a good environment to learn win or lose
Cheers mate.

I don't drink, and I am not planning to, haha.
The Thorn wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:32 pm The thing is, you can't fully practice being in a competition. It's always going to be different, even for professional players. The only way you will progress in competitions is if you play competitions. So I would suggest you to keep trying the Development Tour, and also anything else that's viable for you. Are there no local events in your area, or a league you could join?
I have never been to a local competition before, not even before going to the DT. Maybe not a wise decision, but there are just not that many events. There are some events in my area, and I plan on going to some of them in the next few months, but there are only a few events. Hence why I went to the DT; more accessible, and well organized -- it's worth paying for, imo. Let's hope things will improve.

DeepFriedRat

Post by DeepFriedRat » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:20 am

Buccellati wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:37 pm Hi all,

What do you all think?

Thanks!
Keep up averaging in the high 60s and your first win will come mate. Many a player on the DT and WDF events hit averages in the 40s and 50s (sorry Malt :( ) so you'll get your first break soon.

That said, have a go at the local events! Easy me saying that not having any balls to go myself to my locals but if you've had a go at the DT, you're ready to try local stuff

Btw, welcome to the forum mate and do stick around in the other threads!

Barney's chief slave. Also severely addicted to The Ferret.

An ultimate jamboree of Lord Hobo-loving, Sexy Joyce worshipping, Smudger smearing, Goldfingering, Beautiful Biscuit bonanza.

Buccellati

Post by Buccellati » Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:43 pm

DeepFriedRat wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:20 am Keep up averaging in the high 60s and your first win will come mate. Many a player on the DT and WDF events hit averages in the 40s and 50s (sorry Malt :( ) so you'll get your first break soon.

That said, have a go at the local events! Easy me saying that not having any balls to go myself to my locals but if you've had a go at the DT, you're ready to try local stuff

Btw, welcome to the forum mate and do stick around in the other threads!

Will do! Thanks, mate.