Pre-Split World Championship Seeds: 1978-1993

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Ross, Bob

Re: Pre-Split World Championship Seeds: 1978-1993

Post by Ross, Bob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:59 pm

Emulsfier wrote:
Ross, Bob wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:50 pm
PT13 wrote:
oche balboa wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:30 am A lot of the Rebels were falling away. Deller was one of those, Bobby George retired from darts in 1988 aside from exbos, Only came back because the BDO needed a big name
How many TV tournament winners pre-split were not one of the original rebels? Very few. A few of the rebels had lost some form compared to the past, granted, but other rebels were only just getting started, like Taylor, Priestley, Harrington, Warriner, and Gregory was arguably in his best form around this time.
Help me, I’m falling into a coma.
Try digitalis, ive heard it gets the heart pumping.
It’s OK. I’d rather die than read more of PT13’s posts.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:00 pm

I shit you not, this was PT13's first post on the forum:
PT13 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:31 pm
KingMervtheFirst wrote:Wasn't there a bit of an avalanche of defections just after the 2001 Lakeshite? Think it included Beaton, Andy Jenkins, Baxter, Mason and a couple of others.
Yes, it was in late 2001. They were called the Skol Six. It saw Steve Beaton, Ronnie Baxter, Chris Mason, Kevin Painter, Andy Jenkins and Paul Williams switch to playing in the PDC World Championship. Peter Manley also rejected BDO attempts to get him back over there. Manley had an awful 2001 on the TV, with rival players calling him "One Round Manley".
KingMervtheFirst wrote:Also worth noting that Taylor was rarely number one in the rankings prior to the introduction of the OoM, presumably due to not participating in a lot of floor events.
True, Taylor didn't play the number of floor events that the likes of Harrington, Warriner, Manley and Lloyd thrived on at that time. When Taylor lost to Manley in the semi finals of the 1999 World Matchplay, Taylor felt it was partly because of Manley being more match sharp in competitive darts.
Justin Credible wrote:colin lloyd was #1, down most to raking criteria on event played as opposed to present system of pounds earned equals points
Correct. The Order of Merit based on prize money began after the 2007 PDC World Championship.
Rogg wrote:
KingMervtheFirst wrote:Wasn't there a bit of an avalanche of defections just after the 2001 Lakeshite? Think it included Beaton, Andy Jenkins, Baxter, Mason and a couple of others.
At the 2002 PDC World Championship: Kevin Painter, Steve Beaton, Ronnie Baxter, Paul Williams, Andy Jenkins and Chris Mason all played in their first PDC World Championship. Switched, in other words.

Five of them had all played at Lakeshite the previous year (2001). Williams had last played Lakeshite in 2000.

As for why they all switched at the same, I don't know, but it was a pretty significant shift.
They all switched because Barry Hearn became chairman of the PDC around the summer of 2001 and he told players who still played at the Embassy at Lakeside that if they wished to continue playing in PDC televised events from 2002 onwards then they would have to play at the PDC World Championship at the Circus Tavern. The result was the Skol Six switching (Skol was the sponsor of the PDC World Championship at the time), while Martin Adams refused to switch and had nothing to do with the PDC for 14 years afterwards.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

PT13

Post by PT13 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:01 pm

The Thorn wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:00 pm I shit you not, this was PT13's first post on the forum:
And?

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:02 pm

The Thorn wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:00 pm I shit you not, this was PT13's first post on the forum:
Yes, it was in late 2001. They were called the Skol Six. It saw Steve Beaton, Ronnie Baxter, Chris Mason, Kevin Painter, Andy Jenkins and Paul Williams switch to playing in the PDC World Championship. Peter Manley also rejected BDO attempts to get him back over there. Manley had an awful 2001 on the TV, with rival players calling him "One Round Manley".
KingMervtheFirst wrote:Also worth noting that Taylor was rarely number one in the rankings prior to the introduction of the OoM, presumably due to not participating in a lot of floor events.
True, Taylor didn't play the number of floor events that the likes of Harrington, Warriner, Manley and Lloyd thrived on at that time. When Taylor lost to Manley in the semi finals of the 1999 World Matchplay, Taylor felt it was partly because of Manley being more match sharp in competitive darts.
Justin Credible wrote:colin lloyd was #1, down most to raking criteria on event played as opposed to present system of pounds earned equals points
Correct. The Order of Merit based on prize money began after the 2007 PDC World Championship.
Rogg wrote:
At the 2002 PDC World Championship: Kevin Painter, Steve Beaton, Ronnie Baxter, Paul Williams, Andy Jenkins and Chris Mason all played in their first PDC World Championship. Switched, in other words.

Five of them had all played at Lakeshite the previous year (2001). Williams had last played Lakeshite in 2000.

As for why they all switched at the same, I don't know, but it was a pretty significant shift.
They all switched because Barry Hearn became chairman of the PDC around the summer of 2001 and he told players who still played at the Embassy at Lakeside that if they wished to continue playing in PDC televised events from 2002 onwards then they would have to play at the PDC World Championship at the Circus Tavern. The result was the Skol Six switching (Skol was the sponsor of the PDC World Championship at the time), while Martin Adams refused to switch and had nothing to do with the PDC for 14 years afterwards.
Must've thought this was a game of Forum Mafia. FFS.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:02 pm

PT13 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:01 pm
And?
It perfectly encapsulates your personality

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:02 pm

The Thorn wrote:I shit you not, this was PT13's first post on the forum:
Rogg wrote:

Another one trick pony.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:13 pm

Well I liked it. I wish I had a trick.
not a girl

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:15 pm

Rogg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:13 pm Well I liked it. I wish I had a trick.
You have a few tricks Roggo

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:31 pm

The Thorn wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:15 pm
Rogg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:13 pm Well I liked it. I wish I had a trick.
You have a few tricks Roggo
Thanks mate. I fix your twitter. It lit up earlier with a retweet.
not a girl

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:00 pm

PT13 is a fine asset,poster and human on this forum

Embrace
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan