Biggest Choker in Darts

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO

Who is the Biggest Choker in Darts?

King
5%
Jenkins
9%
O'Shea
40%
Adams
16%
G. Anderson
5%
Whitlock
7%
Baxter
7%
Winstanley
3%
Hamilton
2%
Duzza
7%

Total votes: 58

Mr. Myers 2.0

Re: Biggest Choker in Darts

Post by Mr. Myers 2.0 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:59 am

.Scatman. wrote:Bollocks.
So he didn't lose to Suljovic/White/Webster/Gurney and miss 14 match darts to beat King at the UK Open? 8-)

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:50 pm

3 additions

Kim Huybrechts
Dave Chisnall
Peter Wright

who combined have a total of ZERO majors

Mothy

Post by Mothy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:52 pm

Has Kim ever reached a major final? Wright and Chizzy at least have.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Mothy wrote:Has Kim ever reached a major final? Wright and Chizzy at least have.

reached a secondary TV Title final in the players champs final a few years back

Mothy

Post by Mothy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Yeah, but that's not a major final, right?

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:01 pm

Mothy wrote:Yeah, but that's not a major final, right?

not in my eyes.

To me the only PDC majors are

The Worlds
Grand Prix
Matchplay
UK Open

The PL and Grand Slam are only financially glorified exbos...although with the GS going ranking it could become a major soon once they sort out the shitty qualifying criteria.

The following are all secondary titles

Unibet Masters
European Championship
Players Championships finals
Champions League of Darts (bbc)

and the 3rd tier

World Series finals
World Cup

PT13

Post by PT13 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:10 pm

Mervyn King is probably the greatest underachiever in darts. The Willie Thorne of darts. But King did win the 2004 World Masters and the 2005 International Darts League, so it's not like he's won nothing on TV.

Terry Jenkins never feared any opponent, and has beaten all the top players in the world on TV, including Phil Taylor, Raymond van Barneveld, James Wade, Adrian Lewis and Michael van Gerwen. For all his not being afraid of any opponent, Jenkins does seem to fear TV finals.

Tony O'Shea has to be a top contender. On his day, he is capable of beating a player like Raymond van Barneveld on TV, like at the 2007 International Darts League quarter finals. On another day when expectations are higher, gets absolutely battered. Like in that 2007 IDL, after beating Barney 6-4 in sets, O'Shea got battered by 9-1 in sets by Mark Webster. At the 2012 Lakeside, he beats Martin Adams yet loses to Christian Kist. And O'Shea also blew a good lead in the 2004 World Masters final against King, leading 5-3 and losing 6-7.

Martin Adams did once have a serious problem with his "bottle", pre 2005. In 2005 and 2006, he started to reach some big BDO finals. However, even up to the end of 2006, you could still level the accusations at him that no matter how good he played, he just could not win a TV tournament. That famous match against Nixon in 2007 seemed to get rid of Adams' pressure and fear, and he played a lot better from there, winning many TV tournaments. However, with Barney having left the BDO in February 2006, that was a big factor.

Gary Anderson had a problem with playing on TV before 2007. He was like a Denis Ovens back then, great on the floor yet failing to deliver on TV time after time. That changed in 2007 when Anderson won both the International Darts League and the World Darts Trophy as a BDO player in a combined BDO/PDC field.

Glen Durrant has blown some big matches, most famously the 2014 World Masters match against eventual champion Martin Phillips, the 2015 Lakeside semi final against Martin Adams, and the 2016 Lakeside quarter final against eventual champion Scott Waites.

What are Simon Whitlock, Andy Hamilton and Ronnie Baxter doing on this list?

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:24 pm

Chizzy, O'Shea and Durrant have to be the biggest chokers of all.
WDF4LIFE

If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:51 pm

The Thorn wrote:Chizzy, O'Shea and Durrant have to be the biggest chokers of all.

jenkins at least lost to players who were leagues ahead of him at the time, taylor, barney, wade etc

but Spineless and durrant are the worst, since they were #1.
Took nixon to choke as well to allow spineless win his first lakeshite and had nixon held his nerve would have won 7 sets on the trot

Chizzyfan

Post by Chizzyfan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:20 pm

The Thorn wrote:I am the thickest poster in TDF history, thicker than Lister and Myers put together; a true stinky goatfish.
Ok, thanks.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:08 pm

Chizzyfan wrote:
The Thorn wrote:I am the thickest poster in TDF history, thicker than Lister and Myers put together; a true stinky goatfish.
Ok, thanks.
Oh you're back. Dave Chokey hasn't done too well recently, has he? :D
WDF4LIFE

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:14 pm

cant blame him for going into hiding recently :D

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:17 pm

I would've done the same lol if my fav player lost to Dekker and Boulton at consecutive Euro Tours :lol: :lol:
WDF4LIFE

Chizzyfan

Post by Chizzyfan » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:28 pm

The Thorn wrote:I would've done the same lol if my fav player lost to Dekker and Boulton at consecutive Euro Tours :lol: :lol:
If losing to a decent player such as Dekker or a floor expert warrants me hiding you should be gone considering some of the players Thorn has lost to recently. Lovett and Dennent are much worse than D and B. :pointing:

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:31 pm

Chizzyfan wrote:
The Thorn wrote:I would've done the same lol if my fav player lost to Dekker and Boulton at consecutive Euro Tours :lol: :lol:
If losing to a decent player such as Dekker

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I stopped reading after that

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:04 pm

Chizzyfan wrote:
If losing to a decent player such as Dekker or a floor expert warrants me hiding you should be gone considering some of the players Thorn has lost to recently. Lovett and Dennent are much worse than D and B. :pointing:
Chizzy is 35 years old which is a great age. Thornton is close to 50 in the meanwhile. He's obviously on the downslide. But he has won his 2 big majors and both against the best player of that time. I don't expect him to be top 10, even a top 16 player at his age. Chisnall is in his best years and still choking. I don't have anything against Dave, I only dislike him a bit as he's in MVG's pocket and therefore he is beaten before the match starts, despite he's a great talent and capable of winning against anyone else bar MVG.
WDF4LIFE

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Chizzyfan wrote:
He's back, good to see you mate
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

KingMervtheFirst

Post by KingMervtheFirst » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:30 pm

It's tempting to vote for Adams on the basis of his match against Chris Mason in 1999 which (to those who have seen it) might be the most memorable BDO game of the post-split era. I'm sure that, when Nixon was fighting back in 2007, images of that game in particular were flashing through his mind. I also got amusement from Gando when he crashed out to some nonentity in the first round of Lakeside every year.

But it has to be O'Shea. So many wasted opportunities.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:40 pm

Hands down has to be Jenkins been to so many finals and never got the job done. 9 major finals he has been in. Proves he is the best at getting to the final and not sealing the deal.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:58 pm

cannibal wrote:Hands down has to be Jenkins been to so many finals and never got the job done. 9 major finals he has been in. Proves he is the best at getting to the final and not sealing the deal.

Jenkins you can argue is not a choker in that he was always a low ranked player and did brilliant for a player ranked below so many of the top guys to get where he did in the first place.
He lost finals to a barney that was then not the lazy cunt he is now, a taylor in his prime...proper prime not myers prime, james wade in arguably his prime, and jenkins beat taylor in the semi so that also took a lot out of him.

A real choker is a guy who loses to players worse than him and ranked below him, ie, Melted Plastic Bag Face, Bottler O Shea, Spineless etc