UK Open Qualifiers

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Raff

Re: UK Open Qualifiers

Post by Raff » Sat May 07, 2011 7:39 pm

M H wrote:Funny you should mention Mawson Raff, we talked about this over breakfast a few weeks back. His view was if he didn't qualify through the tour he didn't deserve to be there.
Much as I like the guy, he's right. Doesn't vinidicate the Speedyhire method of qualifying for one of the year's most prestigious tournaments though.

redman

Post by redman » Sat May 07, 2011 7:40 pm

mattp wrote:How many games do the prelims need to win before they get to money making rounds? And what are the odds of Speedyhire qualifiers (not including Kong!) drawing each other and fluking their way to these rounds? Pretty slim I'd have thought.
there is a huge misconception here about speedy hire qualifiers

the likes of kong, douglas et al would have had to have thrown big numbers and won a few legs against good players

a pal of mine had a go and scored 440 odd then lost to a guy throwing a 12 dart leg - proper darts

the speedy employees are a different story altogether

mattp

Post by mattp » Sat May 07, 2011 7:42 pm

redman wrote:
mattp wrote:How many games do the prelims need to win before they get to money making rounds? And what are the odds of Speedyhire qualifiers (not including Kong!) drawing each other and fluking their way to these rounds? Pretty slim I'd have thought.

the likes of kong, douglas et al would have had to have thrown big numbers and won a few legs against good players

a pal of mine had a go and scored 440 odd then lost to a guy throwing a 12 dart leg - proper darts

yeah Redman, the employees, that's who I was meaning. How many of them are there?

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Sat May 07, 2011 7:43 pm

140 players go into the hat at the start of Thursday, so 12 Prelim matches are needed. The Prelim players need to win 3 matches to reach the money, the rest 2.

A Speedy person has as much chance of meeting James Wade in a Prelim as he does meeting one of his collegues - there is no seeding so Wade could get a Prelim.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

redman

Post by redman » Sat May 07, 2011 7:43 pm

mattp wrote:
redman wrote:

yeah Redman, the employees, that's who I was meaning. How many of them are there?

not sure it may be 16 though

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Sat May 07, 2011 7:44 pm

32 Speedies, 32 Rileys, 74 PDPA members.

All 140 play on Thursday and are whittled down to 32 to meet the 32 top players from the UK Open Order of Merit on the Friday.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

redman

Post by redman » Sat May 07, 2011 7:45 pm

The Ginger Ninja wrote:32 Speedies, 32 Rileys, 74 PDPA members.
is the 32 split between 16 staff and 16 darts players?

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sat May 07, 2011 7:46 pm

redman wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:what if one of these qualifiers had a great tournament and went on to become a mainstay in the pdc, it would be a success.
Its not impossible for somebody like kong to go on a decent run and make big headlines.

Whatever people think of the sponsor, at least they have one, and the event promises to be a sucess and a great tourny in store
kong is a top player

but its not how he qualified thats the issue here

the issue is the speedy employees getting in with as i say 64 dart legs

jesus gaz you laughed at tony fleet endlessly for his exploits at the lakeside and remember the weaker prelims in the pdc worlds a few years ago warren french v the japanese lad where he averaged 54! - what are these guys gonna do theyll make him look like phil taylor
the difference here is that tony fleet qualified for lakeshite as one of the top players in australia.
The speedy employees are not claiming to be anything but employees.

Nothing is expected from the speedy boys and should they be shocking its to be expected in a prelim match.

Tony fleet on the other hand joined what was suposed to be the "best 32 ever assembled" and made a show of himself.

Thats the difference

mattp

Post by mattp » Sat May 07, 2011 7:46 pm

The Ginger Ninja wrote:
140 players go into the hat at the start of Thursday, so 12 Prelim matches are needed. The Prelim players need to win 3 matches to reach the money, the rest 2.

A Speedy person has as much chance of meeting James Wade in a Prelim as he does meeting one of his collegues - there is no seeding so Wade could get a Prelim.
Cheers Bradders. I was thinking of a scenario where SpeedyHire employees fluked being drawn against each other through the first couple of rounds and getting to the money stages....but it looks virtually impossible?

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Sat May 07, 2011 7:49 pm

mattp wrote:
The Ginger Ninja wrote:

Cheers Bradders. I was thinking of a scenario where SpeedyHire employees fluked being drawn against each other through the first couple of rounds and getting to the money stages....but it looks virtually impossible?
Probably. One or two could make the money round with very kind draws. Remember though that Robbie Kong qualified that route.

Raff

Post by Raff » Sat May 07, 2011 7:50 pm

Justin Credible wrote:
the difference here is that tony fleet qualified for lakeshite as one of the top players in australia.
The speedy employees are not claiming to be anything but employees.

Nothing is expected from the speedy boys and should they be shocking its to be expected in a prelim match.

Tony fleet on the other hand joined what was suposed to be the "best 32 ever assembled" and made a show of himself.

Thats the difference
Exactly, Tony Fleet played a years worth of ranking events and qualified for the tournament by right. The Speedyhire Blokes happen to be employed by the sponsors. Makes a mockery of the tournament.

redman

Post by redman » Sat May 07, 2011 7:52 pm

A Speedy person has as much chance of meeting James Wade in a Prelim as he does meeting one of his collegues - there is no seeding so Wade could get a Prelim.[/quote]

Probably. One or two could make the money round with very kind draws. Remember though that Robbie Kong qualified that route.[/quote]

that route is ok (not totally but ok and there were some very good darts players throwing proper darts)

its the employees that is a joke

they were actually being dragged down to throw without even owning darts and anybody who needs 64 darts to win a leg should be nowhere near a televised darts tournament unless it was a blind, one legged players one!

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sat May 07, 2011 7:54 pm

tony fleet got a cheque either way...these employess will have to win 3 matches at least to earn a penny,,and thats not gonna happen.
These employees are only there as a gesture to fill up the numbers and part of the stupid sponsorship.

Would I like to see better sponsorship ? yes, is the speedyhire worth turning down because of it..? No.
Obviously the pdc felt this was the best they could do in this economic climate

mattp

Post by mattp » Sat May 07, 2011 7:57 pm

I'll only have an issue with the Speedy Hire employees if Sky decide to show their games, as some sort of demand from the sponsors.

redman

Post by redman » Sat May 07, 2011 8:00 pm

mattp wrote:I'll only have an issue with the Speedy Hire employees if Sky decide to show their games, as some sort of demand from the sponsors.
if they do show a game the average-o-meter will not be in use

i can imagine it now sid "ah hes averaging 30 after two legs - BUT THATS FOR 3 DARTS!"

DrZoidberg

Post by DrZoidberg » Sat May 07, 2011 8:00 pm

nice to read a darts discussion after the past few days.

one of my favourite tournaments, you never know, one of the speedy hires might go on a wee run.

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Sat May 07, 2011 8:00 pm

mattp wrote:I'll only have an issue with the Speedy Hire employees if Sky decide to show their games, as some sort of demand from the sponsors.
cant see any of them getting the main board.
Then again on opening night no match is fully covered, in that the cameras are constantly zooming around taking in the other results ,scores and comments

Raff

Post by Raff » Sat May 07, 2011 8:02 pm

I think that's the best thing that could happen, highlight just what a mockery their presence is.

D & B

Post by D & B » Sat May 07, 2011 9:44 pm

Evening all, thought I'd log in and have a chat with Raff about the darts ;)

Raff

Post by Raff » Sat May 07, 2011 10:41 pm

D & B wrote:Evening all, thought I'd log in and have a chat with Raff about the darts ;)
I love you.