2024 World Cup of Darts (27-30 June)

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
HalloweenJack

Re: 2024 World Cup of Darts

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:46 pm

Are there any dart players in Greenland ?
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:50 pm

Good idea, I'd like to see more qualifiers, maybe have teams with tour card holders/Worlds qualifiers get through automatically, and then qualifiers for the rest

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:57 pm

I wonder if there'll be any changes to this in light of players gaining and losing tour cards. Doubt South Africa will lose their spot, but what about Spain? Now without a tour card holder for the first time in a long time, and I don't think we'll see lots of them plying their trade on the Challenge Tour

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:15 pm

thegentle wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:57 pm I wonder if there'll be any changes to this in light of players gaining and losing tour cards. Doubt South Africa will lose their spot, but what about Spain? Now without a tour card holder for the first time in a long time, and I don't think we'll see lots of them plying their trade on the Challenge Tour
With the expansion Spain should be fine. They will be competitive
WDF4LIFE

If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it

Dfc180

Post by Dfc180 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:54 pm

thegentle wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:57 pm I wonder if there'll be any changes to this in light of players gaining and losing tour cards. Doubt South Africa will lose their spot, but what about Spain? Now without a tour card holder for the first time in a long time, and I don't think we'll see lots of them plying their trade on the Challenge Tour
I think Spain still have enough half decent players to warrant a team, I'm not sure who you put in instead

Rob Singleton

Post by Rob Singleton » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:17 pm

If Uncle Barry and co have their heads screwed on they'll use their clout and create a wild card entry. Whilst giving England 2 teams in Humphries and Belly as seeds.

Their marketable draw is the wild card entry for teenage pairing of Littler and Bennett. The media will be all over it with the 16 and 18 year olds. I vote Yes for the wild card!

The forum will be divided on this one
Final Warning and Cancelled twice in 2023

2024 is here!
Excommunicated
Posting darts related stuff on a darts forum is confusing to some, if not many

Keith Deller MBE 👍

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:33 pm

Rob Singleton wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:17 pm If Uncle Barry and co have their heads screwed on they'll use their clout and create a wild card entry. Whilst giving England 2 teams in Humphries and Belly as seeds.

Their marketable draw is the wild card entry for teenage pairing of Littler and Bennett. The media will be all over it with the 16 and 18 year olds. I vote Yes for the wild card!

No, I'm pretty sure everyone will think it's a crap idea
WDF4LIFE

Rob Singleton

Post by Rob Singleton » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:42 pm

The Thorn wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:33 pm
Rob Singleton wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:17 pm If Uncle Barry and co have their heads screwed on they'll use their clout and create a wild card entry. Whilst giving England 2 teams in Humphries and Belly as seeds.

I'm learning, it's all about the post count
Final Warning and Cancelled twice in 2023

2024 is here!
Excommunicated
Posting darts related stuff on a darts forum is confusing to some, if not many

Keith Deller MBE 👍

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:46 pm

Rob Singleton wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:42 pm

I'm learning, it's all about the post count
+1
WDF4LIFE

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:20 pm

dartsrankings.com published a nifty race for this last year, obviously they don't have one yet, but right now we have 14 countries with two or more tour card holders, with 16 countries slated to be seeded (the top 4 countries, likely to be England, Netherlands, Wales and Scotland, get a bye to round 2, 5-16 seeded in the group stage)

USA have two players starting from scratch, Radek starting from scratch for Poland, Tricole starting from scratch and Labre starting from a very low base for France

Portugal, Latvia, Canada, Croatia, Philippines, Denmark, Sweden, Italy and New Zealand currently have one tour card holder each, though it's impossible for another Filipino to appear on the OoM by then, very unlikely we'll see a Portuguese, Canadian or Italian. Unlikely but not impossible we see a Croat or Latvian qualify for a Euro Tour, not impossible we see Robb get on the ProTour via the Challenge Tour, probably more likely to see another Dane or Swede to accompany Reus and Jeffrey

Finland, Hungary and Lithuania don't have any tour card holder, but they each have multiple players who could feasibly make a Euro Tour or possibly have a run during a Challenge Tour

Unless we see 2 players from Switzerland or Spain pound the Challenge Tour and get on the ProTour, they will lose their seeding (unfortunately for the Swiss, and also the Hungarians, their Euro Tour event takes place after the World Cup)

The Crow

Post by The Crow » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:30 pm

+1
Team Corvid 2024 consists of the following 12 players.

Clayton, Cross, Gilding, De Sousa, Dolan, Evans, Campbell, Krcmar, Lauby, Puha, Szaganski and Turetta

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:44 pm

Portugal should be Jose Marques. Other jobbers who had played with Jose DS were shit

Latvia should be Zhukov please. Much better than the other jobber (Mustafejevs?)

Canada is interesting it will probably be Jake Taylor or Jim Long based on CDC. They could be good provided that Campbell has less than 13 pints.

Philippines Toylo might be the frontrunner with Nebrida in second place based on Asian Tour. They will be competitive with any pairing

Croatia it should be Grvabac hopefully

Denmark should be Big Vlad fingers crossed

Sweden is a tough one they have great depth about 7-8 competitive players. Favourites will be Lukasiak, Nilsson and Dirty Harry. But watch out for Ostlund, Tingstrom, Larsson, Engstrome as well

Italy you never know with them but probably will be one of Petri, Rollo, Micheletti or Dante

New Zealand needs to be Ben Robb if PDC fuck this up I will be massively pissed off

Switzerland Bellmont has to be there no question. Other place will be between Walpen and Junghans. I would give Walpen the nod think he is a slightly better player although Junghans gave a great account of himself at Lakeside.

Finland it pains me to say it but old fart Kantele is still their best player. Other lad should be the same as last year maybe. Teemu Harju has not lived up to my expectations although I wouldn't mind if he was given the chance

Lithuania should be the same as always

Hungary if I'm being honest I still fancy Kovacs, Jagicza and Major over Szekely. Kovacs has to be in the team. The other player should be either Major or Jagicza. Jagicza is probably a bit better but Major proved himself on stage and provided Hungary a history making moment
WDF4LIFE

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:16 pm

The Thorn wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:44 pm Portugal should be Jose Marques. Other jobbers who had played with Jose DS were shit

Latvia should be Zhukov please. Much better than the other jobber (Mustafejevs?)

Canada is interesting it will probably be Jake Taylor or Jim Long based on CDC. They could be good provided that Campbell has less than 13 pints.

Philippines Toylo might be the frontrunner with Nebrida in second place based on Asian Tour. They will be competitive with any pairing

Croatia it should be Grvabac hopefully

Denmark should be Big Vlad fingers crossed

Sweden is a tough one they have great depth about 7-8 competitive players. Favourites will be Lukasiak, Nilsson and Dirty Harry. But watch out for Ostlund, Tingstrom, Larsson, Engstrome as well

Italy you never know with them but probably will be one of Petri, Rollo, Micheletti or Dante

New Zealand needs to be Ben Robb if PDC fuck this up I will be massively pissed off

Switzerland Bellmont has to be there no question. Other place will be between Walpen and Junghans. I would give Walpen the nod think he is a slightly better player although Junghans gave a great account of himself at Lakeside.

Finland it pains me to say it but old fart Kantele is still their best player. Other lad should be the same as last year maybe. Teemu Harju has not lived up to my expectations although I wouldn't mind if he was given the chance

Lithuania should be the same as always

Hungary if I'm being honest I still fancy Kovacs, Jagicza and Major over Szekely. Kovacs has to be in the team. The other player should be either Major or Jagicza. Jagicza is probably a bit better but Major proved himself on stage and provided Hungary a history making moment
The spots are always at the 'discretion' of the PDC, but it's not as if they just pick them at a whim, it's based on main OoM/regional tours (with countries unlikely to be represented on either of those holding qualifiers).
I don't know if Jose Marques is playing seriously these days, if he is, obviously he's the preferred partner for Jose de Sousa, though I suspect he'll have to come through a qualifier
On paper, Latvia should be Zhukov, but it depends whether he can get on the Euro Tour, or if not, be the top Latvian on the Nordic/Baltic Tour
Fairly confident at least one Swede will play on the Euro Tour before the cutoff (I hope Ostlund does it), though for Denmark, if Vlad doesn't, who else can?
The only player in New Zealand who comes close to Robb is Puha, so I don't think there's much danger of the dream team not happening there
Think Jeff Smith will be doing the CDC this year, but I'm not sure if the CDC use the yearly ranking or a rolling ranking to decide their spots
Asia is similar, though I think they use a rolling ranking, at the moment Nebrida and Toylo are the main contenders to partner Perez, Ilagan needs to wake up
For Hungary, I suspect it'll come down to a qualifier like before, for their sake you'd hope Kovacs doesn't bottle it like he did in the World Series qualifier

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:24 pm

Hungarian Super League will decide the World Cup qualification. 32 player field, played over 4 weekends, plus the final on May 19
WDF4LIFE

danhanp

Post by danhanp » Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:11 am

Are they saturating it by opening it up to more countries? I think a balance between singles & doubles, similar to Davis Cup format in Tennis would work
Modern era comps Roll of honour-
2020 Players Champ Finals joint winner
2021 World Series 1 joint winner
2023: PDC World Champs winner
Euro Tour 5 winner
Euro Tour 11 joint winner
Players Champ Finals winner
2024: UK Open winner
US Darts Masters winner

TheMalteseDart

Post by TheMalteseDart » Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:05 pm

danhanp wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:11 am Are they saturating it by opening it up to more countries? I think a balance between singles & doubles, similar to Davis Cup format in Tennis would work
Last years one was the most fun one ever and that was because it was doubles all the way through, wouldn’t reverse that now. In terms of numbers, there’s a lot of rubbish in there atm but with the short format games there’s a big chance of upsets in the group stage phase

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:37 am

Székely vs Végső is on now.

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:48 am

Végső-Székely 5-0

:roll:

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:33 pm

Greipel wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:48 am Végső-Székely 5-0

:roll:
That means Vegso would have got a card at Q-School if he played :(
WDF4LIFE

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:03 pm

Only two losses for Major during the whole series yet.