OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by Rogg » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:55 pm

don-logan wrote:Darts: Bristow leads the dance to a new beat: Greg Wood sees the breakaway World Darts Council embark on its first world championship in riverside Essex in an atmosphere more familiar at ringside

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/dart ... 70169.html
Now that is an old one. Great find, and irony in Croft's description of the WDC, bearing in mind what the top end of the BDO went on to become:
Olly Croft, of the BDO, describes the WDC as 'players who couldn't stand the pace in the world arena and wanted to make it stagnant at the top. They broke away so they could stay at the top that little bit longer.'
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:57 pm

Rogg wrote:
don-logan wrote:Darts: Bristow leads the dance to a new beat: Greg Wood sees the breakaway World Darts Council embark on its first world championship in riverside Essex in an atmosphere more familiar at ringside

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/dart ... 70169.html
Now that is an old one. Great find, and irony in Croft's description of the WDC, bearing in mind what the top end of the BDO went on to become:
Olly Croft, of the BDO, describes the WDC as 'players who couldn't stand the pace in the world arena and wanted to make it stagnant at the top. They broke away so they could stay at the top that little bit longer.'

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:02 pm

It wasn't just me then!
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:06 pm

no............the irony in his statement is staggering

fatknut

Post by fatknut » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:37 pm

Rogg wrote:Dave Chisnall eyes BDO darts title after PDC Premier League Relegation
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 446643.stm
31st March 2016

St Helens' Dave Chisnall has said that he can win the BDO World Championships after his poor draw with plastic jock Krusty McWright.

The 35-year-old came from 4-1 down to get a draw and book a taxi home.

"With him going 4-1 up, I knew that I was fucked," Chisnall told BBC Sport.

"I'm taking one loss at a time and I'm happy to play in the BDO again. If I keep playing like I am, what chance will I have?"

Chisnall struggled to find any form in the Premier League and was mocked merciless online by all expect Chizzyfan.

"In the break I went to the practice room and threw at the board to try and keep my arm straight," added Chisnall.

"After that I started to hit treble 1 with my first dart and found the big fives as well."

etc.....

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:44 pm

fatknut wrote:
Rogg wrote:Dave Chisnall eyes BDO darts title after PDC Premier League Relegation
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 446643.stm
31st March 2016

St Helens' Dave Chisnall has said that he can win the BDO World Championships after his poor draw with plastic jock Krusty McWright.

The 35-year-old came from 4-1 down to get a draw and book a taxi home.

"With him going 4-1 up, I knew that I was fucked," Chisnall told BBC Sport.

"I'm taking one loss at a time and I'm happy to play in the BDO again. If I keep playing like I am, what chance will I have?"

Chisnall struggled to find any form in the Premier League and was mocked merciless online by all expect Chizzyfan.

"In the break I went to the practice room and threw at the board to try and keep my arm straight," added Chisnall.

"After that I started to hit treble 1 with my first dart and found the big fives as well."

etc.....

:lol: :lol:

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:58 pm

:D
not a girl

don-logan

Post by don-logan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:07 am

Darts: Bitterness at the oche: Breakaway players issue writ against BDO http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/dart ... 12599.html

Also not fully an article on darts but one that refers to the tobacco sponsorship ban

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/221780.stm

Olly Croft, general secretary of the British Darts Organisation, described how tobacco sponsorship had helped promote the sport around the world.

Darts would lose up to £400,000 a year through the ban, he said.

Mr Croft said: "This will take us back to the position we were in the '60s and '70s. :roll:

fatknut

Post by fatknut » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:36 am

don-logan wrote:Olly Croft, general secretary of the British Darts Organisation, described how tobacco sponsorship had helped promote the sport around the world.

Darts would lose up to £400,000 a year through the ban, he said.
Thought nobody owed anyone a living where darts was involved!! :roll:

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:31 am

don-logan wrote:Darts: Bitterness at the oche: Breakaway players issue writ against BDO http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/dart ... 12599.html
News to me:
But people like Bristow and Wilson are past their best and only competed in the World Champonship last January by being given wild cards after failing to qualify.
Is it true that Bristow and Jocky were given wildcards into the 1993 Embassy? Bit rich by Croft if so, having moaned in that other article that the WDC was nothing more than a few fading stars wanting to protect themselves and how bad that is.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:34 pm

Dobromyslova To Join PDC Circuit
http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/v7b6a7b5 ... dc-circuit
7th December 2008

RUSSIA'S Anastasia Dobromyslova will compete in the 2009 Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship after opting to move onto the PDC circuit.

Dobromyslova has taken the final place in the Preliminary Round of the tournament following the withdrawal of an Indian Qualifier, which saw that place awarded to a Russian representative.

The 24-year-old, the current Women's World Champion, will become only the second female to compete in the PDC World Championship, succeeding Gayl King, who lost 3-1 to Graeme Stoddart in the 2001 event.

"We're delighted that Anastasia has chosen to compete on the Professional Darts Corporation circuit," said PDC Chairman Barry Hearn.

"Her ambition is to compete amongst the best players in darts for the greatest prize money and she has already proven in the UK Open and Grand Slam of Darts this year that she can do just that.

"The Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship will be another great opportunity for Anastasia and we will look forward to her competing at Alexandra Palace.

"She will compete for over £5 million in prize money on the PDC circuit next year - and I'm sure she will cause plenty of shocks along the way!"

Dobromyslova won a place earlier this year in the Blue Square UK Open, where she lost 6-5 to Robert Thornton in round one, as well as competing more recently in the PartyPoker.com Grand Slam of Darts in Wolverhampton.

She will follow up her appearance in the World Championship, which begins on Friday December 19 at Alexandra Palace, by competing full-time on the PDC circuit next year.

Her last appearance on the WDF/BDO circuit - where Dobromyslova was ranked as the women's number one - came on Sunday at the World Masters, where she reached the final before losing to Francis Hoenselaar 4-3.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:43 pm

England Win Jocky Wilson Cup
http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/1poijpcu ... wilson-cup
5th December 2009

PHIL TAYLOR and James Wade led England to glory in the inaugural PartyPoker.com Jocky Wilson Cup with a whitewash of Scotland at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow on Saturday night.

The duo defeated Scottish pair Gary Anderson and Robert Thornton as well as silencing 3,000 Glaswegians to take the trophy - named in honour of Kirkcaldy's legendary former World Champion - home south of the border.

Wade came from 4-0 down to defeat Anderson 6-4 in the opening singles game, before Taylor whitewashed Thornton 6-0 to double the lead.

England then secured the match-winning two points to lead 4-0 with a 6-2 win in the 1001 doubles match, ensuring that they could not be defeated.

Wade put England further in front with a 6-4 win over Thornton in an entertaining clash - which included a 160 finish from the left-hander - before world number one Taylor wrapped up the victory by seeing off Anderson by the same scoreline.

"I'm really pleased and proud to have won," said Taylor. "Jocky's a legend so to win the first event staged in his name is fantastic.

"Robert came back brilliantly from losing 6-0 and Gary was superb, but James showed his quality. It was great fun."

Wade, the world number three, added: "It was brilliant. The crowd did nothing but boo me but I quite enjoyed it!

"I was lucky to come back from 4-0 down against Gary but we went from strength to strength after that and did the job."

PartyPoker.com Jocky Wilson Cup
Gary Anderson 4-6 James Wade
Robert Thornton 0-6 Phil Taylor
Anderson & Thornton 2-6 Taylor & Wade
Robert Thornton 4-6 James Wade
Gary Anderson 4-6 Phil Taylor
Match Score: Scotland 0-6 England
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:50 pm

HD Treatment For Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship
http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/u43v2i6v ... ampionship
18th December 2008

THE 2009 Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship will be screened live for the first time in High Definition by Sky Sports.

Sky Sports' exclusive UK coverage of the event, from Alexandra Palace in London, begins on Friday December 19 at 7pm (GMT) - with the opening session featuring defending champion John Part.

The tournament will be the first darts event to be screened in High Definition, offering a greater quality of picture for fans watching at home.

Amongst Sky Sports' cameras at the event will also be the revolutionary "Flight Cam 1000", a super-slow motion camera which captures 1000 frames per second and can follow the flight of every dart in minute detail.

Sky Sports will screen every game live from Alexandra Palace throughout the 13 days of the tournament - leading to contenders Phil Taylor and Wayne Mardle meeting celebrity hair stylist Nicky Clarke for a makeover ahead of the World Championship (pictured above).
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:57 pm

King blames air conditioning
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 649845.stm
12th January 2003

Mervyn King launched a scathing attack on organisers of the Embassy World Darts after his 5-2 semi-final defeat at the hands of Raymond Barneveld.

The Englishman said a failure to turn off the air conditioning during his match meant his darts failed to travel in their usual trajectory.

This claim was disputed by organisers, who insisted the air conditioning had been switched off for the entire match.

But a distraught King hinted he may now boycott the tournament, having experienced similar problems a year ago.

"I'm basically not happy with the place - I asked for a simple job to be done and it wasn't done," King told BBC Radio Five Live.

"I asked for the air-conditioning to be turned off, because it was blowing my darts all over the shop.

"I throw a light dart and I pitch my darts - I don't throw them.

"I asked for it to be turned off before I went up there and it wasn't. I asked for it to be turned off at the break - it wasn't."

Having fought his way back into the match after losing the first three sets, King's challenge for the final capitulated in the fifth leg of the sixth set.

And King is adamant the conditions damaged his chances.

"I was aiming halfway across the treble-one to hit a treble-20 because it (the air conditioning) was blowing them across that much.

"Under the conditions, I thought I played exceptionally well - but to beat a player like Raymond, everything has to be right and fair.

"It (the air conditioning) doesn't affect Raymond because he throws a heavier dart and he throws a very flat dart."

King was so disillusioned he admitted he may snub next year's event.

"At the end of the day, I should be here by right next year but I don't know if I shall bother.

"I'd love to win the Embassy but if they can't do a simple thing like that (turn off the air conditioning) - what's the point?

"Should I spend £10,000 travelling the world (to qualify) or keep it in my pocket and go elsewhere?"
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:04 pm

but but but only the pdc had problems with air conditioning

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:05 pm

PDC Expand Team Of Officials
http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/h6oas71s ... -officials
January 19 2007

THE PDC have added to their team of officials with the appointments of John McDonald as Master of Ceremonies and George Noble as referee.

McDonald will replace Phil Jones as the MC on the PDC Pro Tour, as well as at all televised tournaments.

McDonald has previously worked with the PDC at Holsten Premier League Darts and hosted the 2005 Stan James World Matchplay as well as The Showdown in 2004.

"I'm greatly excited by this opportunity," said McDonald.

"Being involved in the Holsten Premier League Darts was tremendous last year and I am looking forward to being involved with these quality players on a regular basis."

Jones retired from his role at the end of the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship, having been involved with the PDC since its inception.

He is set to move to Las Vegas with new wife Michelle, and received a presentation ahead of the World Championship Final, along with a tribute from PDC Tournament Director Tommy Cox.

"Phil moves on with our heartfelt thanks and best wishes," said Cox. "He will always remain a part of PDC's fabric.

"His recent induction into the PDC Hall of Fame was truly deserved."

The PDC's on-stage team has been further strengthened with the appointment of referee George Noble, who will take charge of his first game on 1 February when the Holsten Premier League Darts begins in Plymouth.

Noble joins Bruce Spendley, Russ Bray and Paul Hinks on the PDC's refereeing team.

"I'm looking forward to a new challenge," said Noble. "I've enjoyed my time working on the BDO and WDF circuit but the PDC's worldwide calendar of events will give me some exciting opportunities.

"I can't wait to start working with Russ, Bruce and Paul."

PDC Tournament Director Tommy Cox added: "We are delighted to welcome George.

"We now believe that we have the top four referees in world darts officiating at PDC tournaments."
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:08 pm

Justin Credible wrote:but but but only the pdc had problems with air conditioning
There was a problem with it at Lakeside just the week after the Wade-Lewis shite, very amusing what with a certain bearded cunt having specifically said that YOU WON'T GET THAT AT LAKESIDE.
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Rogg wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:but but but only the pdc had problems with air conditioning
There was a problem with it at Lakeshite just the week after the Wade-Lewis shite, very amusing what with a certain bearded cunt having specifically said that YOU WON'T GET THAT AT Lakeshite.

yep...by that wife cheating , back stabbing spineless vile disgusting cunt of a man.

The same prick bastard who for years hung around like a bad fart waiting for every single player of talent to fuck off so he could be a big fish in a stagnant shitty little pond where he could bellow out his so called principles and claim he would never sign a contract.

Except he did sign contracts while in the bdo and of course sold his so called principles down the river when he came crawling like a beggar cap in hand to take the PDC coin.

A truly despicable cunt of the highest order, and that os what history will remember the cunt for

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:14 pm

The overseas invasion
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/in_dept ... 098854.stm
4th January 2001

Any one of a foreign legion of sharp shooters is more than capable of taking the Embassy title out of the country in 2001. *cringe*

Once regarded as the property of the home nations, the famous trophy spent three years abroad during the 90s - two of them, 1998 and 1999, made Raymond van Barneveld one of the best paid sportsmen in Holland... as big a hero as football star Marco van Basten.

But it was Canadian John Part who hit a rich vein of form at the right time and carted the silverware across the Atlantic in 1994. It was the first year of the Embassy without the "stars" who had broken away to form the Professional Darts Corporation.

Part was on fire throughout and sunk one of the best known names on the oche - Bobby George who stayed loyal to the British Darts Organisation.

Injured George - yes it even happens in darts - was taken to the cleaners 6-0 as he battled on in agony with a bad back that underwent major surgery weeks later.

Foreign competition gets tougher and tougher each year and six players from across the shores will be after the 2001 crown.

It would be a brave man to bet against Barneveld chalking up his third victory at Frimley Green's Lakeside Country Club but word is that Finland's Marko Pusa can be just as exciting. :?

He was the name most seeds were hoping to avoid and England's experienced Colin Monk is the man who has the task of putting Pusa in his place in round one.

"I don't know why but I am really up for this one," said Monk, who will be making his eighth championship appearance in a row. "I am not really one for practising but I have been on the board for at least two hours a day since drawing Pusa."

Dutch tram driver Co Stompe will hope it is three times lucky on the Lakeside stage and will have the psychological advantage over England's Andy Smith after beating him 3-0 in last year's first round.

England captain Martin Adams, a loser in the opening round last year, plays best under pressure and will find plenty of that against Belgium's Erik Clarys.

However Clarys has gone out at the hands of Englishmen in his three appearances - Paul Willimas in 1997, Kevin Painter the following year and Tony Littleton in 1999.

Australians Peter Hinkley and Tony David make up the foreign opposition.

The Down Under dart players face Nick Gedney and Andy Fordham respectively and will be expecting a tough time.

But Hinkley has been there before - losing in the first round both times to Welshmen Richie Burnett and later and Sean Palfrey.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:18 pm

"Paul Willimas"
not a girl