Which dart players with near misses will never win a major/TV title

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
The Thorn

Re: Which dart players with near misses will never win a major/TV title

Post by The Thorn » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:14 pm

Randall wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:29 pm Never is a long time but I don't think Cullen will ever win anything of note
I'm inclined to agree after what we've just seen
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:16 pm

The Thorn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:14 pm
Randall wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:29 pm Never is a long time but I don't think Cullen will ever win anything of note
I'm inclined to agree after what we've just seen
Never doubt randall
Or something

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:14 am

vizIIsto wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:47 pm There's a reason I mentioned Cullen over Hopp. Both have had a few notable runs on tv. The difference is that Cullen had more shouts of getting the job done than Hopp has. This to say that Hopp isn't good enough for a title, no, he's not good enough 'yet'. But he has shown the ability to shine in important moments, kind of like Dimitri and Gurney. They have won titles. Hopp has the potential to follow if he steps up his game.
Cullen seems to be already at his max, and he's not a player to win anything of sorts.
Problem is with Hopp is that he's already suffered two huge slumps, and that's even taking into account the fact the PDC have done all they can to accommodate him with so many events in Germany. He's never really done much at all away from his home crowd, and even when he's been at his best, he was more solid than spectacular. Is it impossible for him to improve from here and become more of a player, no, of course not, but I'd offer long odds against it happening

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:18 am

Cullen is, at a push, a potential top 10 player, but it's been, what, a decade now and he hasn't shown any signs of being any less inconsistent, be shocked if he does become a top top player

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 pm

Captain Hobo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:47 am
sennafan24 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:41 am
Captain Hobo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:39 am
sennafan24 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:35 am
Captain Hobo wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:33 am My point about Chizzy and Bunting was that they have already had a long time in the PDC and have despite periods of form proven to be non-winners. They haven't even won a minor TV event.

You need to wait at least 5 more years before you can lump Duzza in that category. You may be proven right in time, but I have a strong feeling he will win some PDC TV titles, even if they aren't one of the sacred 4 that you only count.
Well we will have to wait and see then, won't we?
In 5 years time he could have won the Premier League, Grand Slam, World Series Finals, Masters and PC Finals, but not one of your Majors, and you'll still be claiming you were right.

The odds are in your favour I guess.
Okay, I'll extend my prediction so it includes the GSOD, PC, and PL.

Happy?
Yes, as there is now more chance I can bump this thread and make you look silly. :D

Seriously, I still think your inclusion of Duzza on this list was ridiculous in light of what he has done in less than 2 years in the PDC.

And I think your definition of a Major is a bit too narrow, but that is a discussion that has been done to death already.
I willingly always include every tv tournament outside of the Champions League as a major and i would still say Durrant is more likely not to win one than win one. nothing against him, just my opinion on his lack of gears more than anything. And his age.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:54 pm

vizIIsto wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:27 pm Alright, let's put a younger name out here.

Joe Cullen has had some decent runs in tournaments, especially in 2018 in the Matchplay and Euros. He's had a long time without any real title besides floor events, and won a Euro Tour in 2019. Personally, I don't think he's got the 'get-the-job-done' mentality when he's in a final. I don't doubt he'll make a final, he'll probably make multiple, but there's something about him that hints he will never be a major winner.
If Cullen wins one it will have to be a tournament where all the cards fall the right way and he end up in the final against someone like a Clayton.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 pm
sennafan24 wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:35 am
Well we will have to wait and see then, won't we?
In 5 years time he could have won the Premier League, Grand Slam, World Series Finals, Masters and PC Finals, but not one of your Majors, and you'll still be claiming you were right.

Happy?
Yes, as there is now more chance I can bump this thread and make you look silly. :D

Seriously, I still think your inclusion of Duzza on this list was ridiculous in light of what he has done in less than 2 years in the PDC.

And I think your definition of a Major is a bit too narrow, but that is a discussion that has been done to death already.
I willingly always include every tv tournament outside of the Champions League as a major and i would still say Durrant is more likely not to win one than win one. nothing against him, just my opinion on his lack of gears more than anything. And his age.
It matters not what we see as majors/tv titles. The list I put previously is the PDC definition. The current event wouldn’t be classed as a premier event. I believe Smith has won one and it hasn’t counted.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:06 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:03 pm
SuperSwede wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 pm

Happy?

It matters not what we see as majors/tv titles. The list I put previously is the PDC definition. The current event wouldn’t be classed as a premier event. I believe Smith has won one and it hasn’t counted.
Lol.
Stop it.

“I don’t want you lumbering me with some old bow-wow who don’t know the difference between a Liebfraumilk and a can of Tizer!“

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:11 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:54 pm
vizIIsto wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:27 pm Alright, let's put a younger name out here.

Joe Cullen has had some decent runs in tournaments, especially in 2018 in the Matchplay and Euros. He's had a long time without any real title besides floor events, and won a Euro Tour in 2019. Personally, I don't think he's got the 'get-the-job-done' mentality when he's in a final. I don't doubt he'll make a final, he'll probably make multiple, but there's something about him that hints he will never be a major winner.
If Cullen wins one it will have to be a tournament where all the cards fall the right way and he end up in the final against someone like a Clayton.
You're not wrong stupidswede but you're scenario is also descriptive of more than a dozen players. Small probability occurrences do come to fruition we just don't see them often. OTOH Cullen's inconsistency is serious problem so out of the dozens of players who could possibily win something, I rank him pretty low. Dimitri is a good e.g. he shows brilliance in one match then messes his pants the next. But he won the Matchplay. What am I trying to say...who knows. Wait... I remember... There are plenty of players who are far more consistent than Cullen who are a better shot at winning something than Cullen.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:18 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:33 pm
The Thorn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:16 pm
Emulsfier wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:33 pm Personally think Durrant will do about as well as Gurney. Win some floor, a eurotour or two, and pinch a tv event with some shithousery and a few great performances.
That's a good comparison. Gurney is similar to Duzza in the sense that neither will set the world on fire but both are very good at plodding along. Which might not be everyone's cup of tea, but sometimes you just need this ability at the top to make the most out of your career. People seem to forget Gurney has the same number of majors as Wright or Price.
Doesn’t Wright have 3 tv titles?
U.K. open
World
Masters

Ps Waiting for Senna to come along and tell me I’m correcting myself.😀
He has more TV titles than that, he's won a few in the World Series if I'm correct. That's why I said majors, of which he has two.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:29 pm

The Thorn wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:18 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:33 pm
The Thorn wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:16 pm
Emulsfier wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:33 pm Personally think Durrant will do about as well as Gurney. Win some floor, a eurotour or two, and pinch a tv event with some shithousery and a few great performances.
That's a good comparison. Gurney is similar to Duzza in the sense that neither will set the world on fire but both are very good at plodding along. Which might not be everyone's cup of tea, but sometimes you just need this ability at the top to make the most out of your career. People seem to forget Gurney has the same number of majors as Wright or Price.
Doesn’t Wright have 3 tv titles?
U.K. open
World
Masters

Ps Waiting for Senna to come along and tell me I’m correcting myself.😀
He has more TV titles than that, he's won a few in the World Series if I'm correct. That's why I said majors, of which he has two.
PDC premier events. Wright has 3
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:37 pm

Smith won a World Series event (2018 Shanghai Darts Masters)

Not the World Series final.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:48 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:37 pm Smith won a World Series event (2018 Shanghai Darts Masters)

Didn’t Wadey win the World Series final that year?

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:50 pm

SuperSwede wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:54 pm

Clayton's another name that can be added to the list. He's great and all but not a TV winner.

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:52 pm

Appeal to change the topic's name to 'What counts as a TV major?'

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:53 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:48 pm
sennafan24 wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:37 pm Smith won a World Series event (2018 Shanghai Darts Masters)

Yup.
Guess who missed 5 match darts.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:08 pm

vizIIsto wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:53 pm

Yup.
I remember Wadey 2014 Masters win, when he was 9-2 down to King and still ended up winning.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:09 pm

vizIIsto wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:52 pm Appeal to change the topic's name to 'What counts as a TV major?'
I should have put PDC premier events.

vizIIsto

Post by vizIIsto » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:15 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:08 pm

Yup.
I remember Wadey 2014 Masters win, when he was 9-2 down to King and still ended up winning.
Wade does what Wade does best. It's not the only thing Wade is known for (93-98 averages, 100-120 finishes when under pressure, and obviously, getting others annoyed as fuck)

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:24 pm

vizIIsto wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:15 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:08 pm

Yup.
Wade does what Wade does best. It's not the only thing Wade is known for (93-98 averages, 100-120 finishes when under pressure, and obviously, getting others annoyed as fuck)
When you say getting people annoyed. Are you referring to people on here 😀