Totally lost....

How's your arrers going?
jordi-hert

Totally lost....

Post by jordi-hert » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:35 am

Last edited by jordi-hert on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

vizIIsto

Re: Totally lost....

Post by vizIIsto » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:19 pm

I hate how people tell you to 'just throw the dart'. It's not as easy. It's like when you haven't tried something before and someone tells you 'go on, just do it'. But what on earth am I supposed to do?

One of the things that you see a lot online is to try throwing with your non-throwing hand. You might not hit the board in the beginning, but for a bunch of people it removes the thinking part for some reason, it's like you're learning to throw darts again.
For me, it only really helped to understand the theory behind how to hold a dart and the follow-through; without this theory, my darts that I threw with my non-throwing hand would fly everywhere, but in the end it helped and I managed to transfer it over to throwing with my throwing hand.

I sometimes struggled with my own throw. It didn't feel all that natural (I still hit the board quite good though), but there are always things that seem to creep in to it. What I found helpful to do is throw with my eyes closed. Again, you might miss the board the first few shots around, but I felt that closing my eyes made me more conscious about focusing ONLY on my own throw, and often it felt more natural, almost to the point that I could hit more accurately when I'd close my eyes just before throwing the darts.
Perhaps it had something to do with that when you see a target, you'd focus on where you want it to go more than how you should throw it. A great example for this is the high jump. Focus on the bar, and you'll hit it. Focus on your jump, and you'll find that you're clearing the bar more often than you did before. In other words, don't look at where you want to aim, but focus on your own throw.
Talking about that, another tip I saw was to, while throwing, look at your dart instead of the board. As with all these tips, you'll probably miss a lot, but it's another thing that might help.

And my final tip: try to 'imitate' a professional player's style of throw. Players like Gary Anderson, Peter Wright or Dave Chisnall, these styles are simple and easy to copy. Their throwing styles also have benefits to them, for example Gary stands very straight, making his throws more consistent, and Dave Chisnall holds the dart where he wants it, then pulls back and releases with a (admittedly sometimes forced) extensive follow through.

Up until about a year ago I'd usually change my throwing style every week because it felt like I couldn't find a throwing style that I'd consistenly throw better with - that is, usually the first week or two it'd look better, but then the flow and rhythm, a.k.a the 'freeness' of the throw, evaporated, and got changed to systematic and structured throws, and that's where I'd say it goes wrong most of the time for people with dartitis: the throw is forced, not fluent.

I hope this helps! And sorry if this was long to read, I'm just trying to help you out a bit!

viz

D & B

Post by D & B » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:48 pm

With a bit of luck you are both over 70 and love social gatherings.

Safc

Post by Safc » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:53 pm

D & B wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:48 pm With a bit of luck you are both over 70 and love social gatherings.
:lol: