Check out your Checkouts - 2 through 10

How's your arrers going?

When on a low uneven double with 3 darts in hand, should you SPLIT IT, or HIT IT?

SPLIT IT
20%
HIT IT
70%
MISS IT
10%

Total votes: 10

vizIIsto

Check out your Checkouts - 2 through 10

Post by vizIIsto » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:01 pm

So this is a series I tried to ran on dartsnutz but didn't quite work because I started at 2 and went up one at a time (and because I was an asshole). So I'm speeding it up.

But here I am hosting the series here!
Briefly explained, what's the purpose of this series?
To discuss ways to take out a checkout.
Too simplified?
Every new thread, I select a range of checkouts, starting at double 1 all the way through 170, and we'll start discussions about what the best way to go for is. I'll share my thoughts and a fun exercise to try, and hopefully this will work out great!

So here's the first edition of Check out your Checkouts!

2:
Well obviously there's only one way to go here. Double 1 is double 1. Only thing I can see wrong here sometimes is people being to careless and attacking the double with their first dart and going on to bust it. It can cost you many legs when you're an amateur because you'll often find yourself on this double.
Here's an example of when madhouse panic strikes:

3:
Again, only one way to go here. Single 1 Double 1. I can understand for 60 that some people say 'aim at the small single 20 segment under the treble so as not to block the double with your first dart', but you can't miss the big number here. So go for the center of that single 1 and move over if you need to.

4:
I know from experience this series is boring at the start. No one goes two Double 1's here. Although you could also learn from Andy Hamilton and go for Double 1 Double 8 on 18:

5:
Big 1 Double 2. Or Double 1 Single 1 Double 1 as Terry Jenkins once famously did:

6:
Now here's the first one that might start a debate. Do you go for Double 3 here, arguably one of the most difficult doubles on the dartboard for players taller than Phil Taylor or Darren Webster, or do you split it and go for single 2 Double 2 and potentially leave a good marker for the latter as well? I would go for Double 3 nonetheless since I'm convinced you should be able to hit any double on a dartboard, and splitting might just cost you a dart at a double (2 instead of 3). If you do go for the double, attack with your first dart but defend with your second if the first dart is below.

7:
This I find a bit tricky. Yes, you should go for single 3 Double 2, but hitting the Double or Treble 3 is a bust. That doesn't mean that single 1 Double 3 is the way to go. It seems that there is no rock-solid one here, but of course everyone goes single 3 Double 2. Well, we'll have to go with it!

8:
Double 4. The double which used to be referred to as the Joe Cullen.
NEXT!

9:
While I prefer single 5 Double 2 (which is wrong), you should go for single 1 Double 4. Single 5 Double 2 could be backed up when your opponent is on a double which you expect him to take out, and you hate Double 4 compared to Double 1 (which is the case for me), it's not the right way. Even under pressure, single 1 is still the shot.

10:
This is the same question as with 6: split it or hit it? I kinda like Double 1 and Double 5 so I'd go for hit it, also because hitting big 5 still leaves single 1 Double 4. And for who knows if you go for single 2 Double 4 (or single 6 Double 2 if you're crazy as hell) you can hit the Double 2 and you still only get 1 dart when splitting it again.

So now for the challenge of the week.
Try to hit all these 9 checkouts in succession with as few visits to the board as needed.
If you can get 9 as your best score, go join the PDC! You're an excellent darts player!
My best score out of three attempts was 28, so a little worse than 1 outta 3. I'm sure you guys can do much better than that!

And here's the question of the week:
When on a low uneven double with 3 darts in hand and your opponent on a double, should you SPLIT IT, or HIT IT?
My vote goes to HIT IT because splitting when on a low uneven double might even bust your score if you miss the big number.

That's it for now folks! I'll hope to get the next portion out in a week or so! Havez funsies!
Last edited by vizIIsto on Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprocket501

Re: Check out your Checkouts - 2 through 10

Post by Sprocket501 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:04 pm

Please die you cunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:07 pm

I'm afraid this won't go down well here either. Anyway I think going straight for the double is the best option most of the time. Unless your opponent is above 100 or something. If you split it, you're guaranteed to get 2 darts at a double. If you go straight for it, you will either have 2 or 3 darts. You might end up on something like 5 or 3 after the turn, but that's irrelevant when your opponent is low, as you don't expect to come back to the board anyway.

As for the challenge, I'll give it a go but I'm absolute crap so I won't be boasting with my scores any time soon.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:07 pm

Sprocket501 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:04 pm Please die you cunt.

:lol: :lol:

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:29 pm

I haven't played in an age but I was a splitter. Unless it was a double I liked such as 28 26.
I'd never leave 36 if I could help it because of how it breaks down and i hated 9s.

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:51 pm

Randall wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:29 pm I haven't played in an age but I was a splitter. Unless it was a double I liked such as 28 26.
I'd never leave 36 if I could help it because of how it breaks down and i hated 9s.
Never really mind D9. Obviously it's a shithouse if you go inside
But I like D12 and D14.
Fuck off Stuart Pyke and John Rawling!

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Jimmi wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:51 pm
Randall wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:29 pm I haven't played in an age but I was a splitter. Unless it was a double I liked such as 28 26.
Never really mind D9. Obviously it's a shithouse if you go inside
But I like D12 and D14.
I tended to be ok with the doubles at 3 and 9.
Anything that required finding the right weight I struggled.
12s 18s 19s 17s etc forget it

Stran

Post by Stran » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:49 pm

Pretty much wins the thread.

Jimmi

Post by Jimmi » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:22 pm

Stran wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:49 pm

Pretty much wins the thread.
:lol:
Fuck off Stuart Pyke and John Rawling!