GSOD 2019: PDC vs BDO Scorecard

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
sennafan24

Re: GSOD 2019: PDC vs BDO Scorecard

Post by sennafan24 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:09 pm

oche balboa wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:01 pm Since 2015

BDO Players wins over the PDC top 8

2015: Martin Adams 5-2 Ian White
2016: Scott Mitchell 5-2 Adrian Lewis
2016: Danny Noppert 5-3 Mensur Suljovic
2017: Glen Durrant 5-2 Peter Wright
2018: Glen Durrant 5-1 Simon Whitlock
And?
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:12 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:10 pm
Rogg wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:03 pm
The Ginge Reaper wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:44 pm Are people really having to ask why losers and winners play each other in the second game? :roll:
Quite. Imagine if every group had a stone cold dead 4-4-0-0 points allocation heading into phase 3. I'd go and live in the woods with Wynand Havenga.
+1
Well ffs I'll have to check with Wynand, :D

Remember the England-Belgium game at the football World Cup last summer? Pretty much their reserve teams and a dire spectacle because both had already qualified with 2 wins. That would have been avoided using the GSoD system here. Ok you can't organise a football World Cup like that, but still.
not a girl

SuperSwede

Post by SuperSwede » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:55 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:16 pm Maybe you could write in and complain and get a refund.
Or I could voice my opinion on a subject related forum.
Michael "Bully Boy" Smith REIGNING Shanghai Darts Master

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:52 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:44 pm Are people really having to ask why losers and winners play each other in the second game? :roll:
I understand why they do it, I just don't like it.

The order of games should be random and drawn before the tournament starts. Sure you'd get some dead rubbers on the last day, but you already get that with some players eliminated after 2 games, or games like Wayne Warren needs to beat MvG 5-0 to go through, that are over after a leg anyway.

And maybe a better way to reduce the number of boring groups would be to stop having so many shit players in the tournament?

Anyway, rant over, see you all for the Last 16.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:13 am

Stop having the pointless groups would be the solution

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:32 am

Randall wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:13 am Stop having the pointless groups would be the solution
I don't mind the groups and I agree with Hobo just get rid of the BDO fodder

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:48 am

StevieBoy wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:32 am
Randall wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:13 am Stop having the pointless groups would be the solution
Long course straight knockout from the get go eliminates them much better than best of 9 crap.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:38 am

StevieBoy wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:32 am
Hopefully this year with so many Euro and Pro Tour winners missing out will make them rethink the breakdown.

4 BDO and 4 Floor Qualifiers would be much better.

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:48 pm

The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:28 pm

No way they will reduce floor qualifiers to 3 and keep BDO at 8.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:36 pm

Harsh on Noppy (and maybe the single PC winners) but otherwise a solid list of PDC qualifiers. Not that I think BDO players should still be there, but as long as there is BDO representation, I'd rather see the Masters winner than the men's #6

James Harrogate

Post by James Harrogate » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:57 pm

As I've understood it the idea behind the floor qualifier was that the powers that be felt that the recasting of the tournament as a ranking event necessitated making it "accessible to all". But it already is even without the floor qualifier. Any player can (theoretically) qualify for and win a Euro Tour event and all tour card holders are eligible to play in every Players Championship. Therefore, I've always felt that the floor qualifier was redundant to begin with. As per oche's suggestion, it could serve a purpose in terms of filling up any places not already allocated.

As it stands, in a few days time we can all look forward to yet another iteration of the Grand Sham of Darts, not the Grand Slam of Darts. At least Parletti got a decent draw.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:40 pm

James Harrogate wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:57 pm As I've understood it the idea behind the floor qualifier was that the powers that be felt that the recasting of the tournament as a ranking event necessitated making it "accessible to all". But it already is even without the floor qualifier. Any player can (theoretically) qualify for and win a Euro Tour event and all tour card holders are eligible to play in every Players Championship. Therefore, I've always felt that the floor qualifier was redundant to begin with. As per oche's suggestion, it could serve a purpose in terms of filling up any places not already allocated.

As it stands, in a few days time we can all look forward to yet another iteration of the Grand Sham of Darts, not the Grand Slam of Darts. At least Parletti got a decent draw.
The logic behind the 8 Floor Qualifier spots was that if they made the Grand Slam a Ranking event and kept the previous criteria, it would be too much extra advantage for the players higher up the rankings. As long as it stays a Ranking Event they will not get rid of the Floor Qualifier, but eventually I think they will have to reduce the number.

Another important thing to remember is it is one of the few chances for the lower Ranked TC holders to get TV exposure, which is also why the UK Open went to 128 players and PC Finals went to 64.

When you consider that 96 TC Holders miss the Matchplay and Grand Prix and 64 miss the Worlds and PC finals, that is a lot of 'professional' players who get very little chance to play on TV.

As much as we might not want to see them, The Grand Slam gives them a realistic chance to get 3 matches on TV.

But yeah, it needs to go from 8 to 4 sooner rather than later.

Cinnamon Bun

Post by Cinnamon Bun » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:02 am

Captain Hobo wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:40 pm
James Harrogate wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:57 pm As I've understood it the idea behind the floor qualifier was that the powers that be felt that the recasting of the tournament as a ranking event necessitated making it "accessible to all". But it already is even without the floor qualifier. Any player can (theoretically) qualify for and win a Euro Tour event and all tour card holders are eligible to play in every Players Championship. Therefore, I've always felt that the floor qualifier was redundant to begin with. As per oche's suggestion, it could serve a purpose in terms of filling up any places not already allocated.

The logic behind the 8 Floor Qualifier spots was that if they made the Grand Slam a Ranking event and kept the previous criteria, it would be too much extra advantage for the players higher up the rankings. As long as it stays a Ranking Event they will not get rid of the Floor Qualifier, but eventually I think they will have to reduce the number.

Another important thing to remember is it is one of the few chances for the lower Ranked TC holders to get TV exposure, which is also why the UK Open went to 128 players and PC Finals went to 64.

When you consider that 96 TC Holders miss the Matchplay and Grand Prix and 64 miss the Worlds and PC finals, that is a lot of 'professional' players who get very little chance to play on TV.

As much as we might not want to see them, The Grand Slam gives them a realistic chance to get 3 matches on TV.

But yeah, it needs to go from 8 to 4 sooner rather than later.
+1 Very well said there
One of the many members of the "get Chris Mason off comentary" institution.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Fuck the floor qualifiers. If you go to 4, there are still more deserving players to miss out. That argument might have been valid a few years ago but it holds zero water now. Every year the rank and file players get significant boosts.

In recent years we have the World Series finals with floor qualifiers. UK Open is now guaranteed to every card holder. There are significantly more PC events than there were years ago and also a few more European Tours. The prize money is constantly rising. The Players Championship Finals has been expanded to 64 players a few years ago. The European Championships criteria has also changed to favour top players less,. Remember, the top 16 in the rankings were guaranteed qualification up to a few years ago. And perhaps the biggest boost of all, Ally Pally has expanded to involve 96 players, at least 64 of which are main tour players. From the 24 extra players, 16 went to card holders that otherwise would have had a low chance to qualify.

That's why I'm arguing that the Grand Slam has to do away with the floor qualifier. It makes a complete joke of one of the biggest majors. It is definitely a top 5 PDC major, especially as it's ranked now. Give all the jobbers free spots in mickey mouse events but not the GSOD.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Biaoeur

Post by Biaoeur » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:10 pm

I think the PDC might need to scrap the BDO places in the long term if they want to keep it as a ranking event. We wouldn't have that discussion about the qualifiers if there were 8 more places on offer and let's be honest, the top BDO players aren't much better than an average tourcardler anymore.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:48 pm

Biaoeur wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:10 pm I think the PDC might need to scrap the BDO places in the long term if they want to keep it as a ranking event. We wouldn't have that discussion about the qualifiers if there were 8 more places on offer and let's be honest, the top BDO players aren't much better than an average tourcardler anymore.
The top BDO players aint better than any tour card holder. They would lose as many as they win against the lower ranking PDC players
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:08 pm

The Thorn wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:07 pm Fuck the floor qualifiers. If you go to 4, there are still more deserving players to miss out. That argument might have been valid a few years ago but it holds zero water now. Every year the rank and file players get significant boosts.

In recent years we have the World Series finals with floor qualifiers. UK Open is now guaranteed to every card holder. There are significantly more PC events than there were years ago and also a few more European Tours. The prize money is constantly rising. The Players Championship Finals has been expanded to 64 players a few years ago. The European Championships criteria has also changed to favour top players less,. Remember, the top 16 in the rankings were guaranteed qualification up to a few years ago. And perhaps the biggest boost of all, Ally Pally has expanded to involve 96 players, at least 64 of which are main tour players. From the 24 extra players, 16 went to card holders that otherwise would have had a low chance to qualify.

That's why I'm arguing that the Grand Slam has to do away with the floor qualifier. It makes a complete joke of one of the biggest majors. It is definitely a top 5 PDC major, especially as it's ranked now. Give all the jobbers free spots in mickey mouse events but not the GSOD.
I just wanted to say that there's a fine post. Well done Thorn. The Grand Slam is frozen in 2015 or thereabouts.

I would add the abolition of entry fees to your list of radical improvements recently provided for the benefit of the most useless tour card holder. That was truly an historic game changer for all but especially for the underclass.
not a girl

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:15 pm

They should replace the floor qualifiers with 8 more BDO players.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:22 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:15 pm They should replace the floor qualifiers with 8 more BDO players.
not a girl