2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Chat and Gossip About Professional and Ever More Farcical BDO Darts
Post Reply
User avatar
Randall
Moderator
Posts: 80186
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by Randall » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:33 am

If they struggle to win a prelim and need 25 legs to get through they have zero chance against mvg whether they have 2 hours or 2 weeks.
Image

User avatar
Rogg
Posts: 24897
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by Rogg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:58 pm

Captain Hobo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am
The Ginge Reaper wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 pm
We had this moan last year, they arent going to put on a night of just Last 96 games as it would be garbage for ticket sales, so there is no other option.

They are hardly up there playing tennis for five fucking hours are they?
It isn't a big deal, and like Rogg said can be a disadvantage the other way as well, but since they have gone to this format they should absolutely change the 'Defending champ must play on the first night' rule. Makes no sense that only 1 of the Last 96 winners plays 2 games on the 1 night.

Surely the first night would sell out if you put 4 of the most interesting Last 96 games on? This year it could be Duzza, Cadby and Jamie Hughes maybe.
Genius, they could start with the real world champion for a change :)

I think I agree with you. I personally don't want to see the defending champ on opening night anyway. I'd prefer things to warm up for two or three days first, although now it's become a tradition it would maybe seem a bit weird to break it.

Hearn or Porter tweeted last year that they want to guarantee a seed in every session for the sake of the crowd, which explains why they mix Rounds 1 and 2 in the first place. A sensible general idea but there are indeed plenty of ProTour qualifiers who can engage, including former seeds and future seeds. And Barney this year, probably.
Goldsaddle Goatfish
cnt go round calliNG people cyclops

User avatar
sennafan24
Moderator
Posts: 10802
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Aye, they probably could have done opening night without a seed this year. They could have stacked the night with Duzza, Cadby, and perhaps RVB. But I don't think they could do that every year. The likes of Duzza and Cadby will eventually enter the top 32 or lose their appeal.

Nevertheless, I don't think it's a big deal that 1 player had to play twice.
"nature v nuture , kid is surrounded by pricks you end up being one" Fandarts on Leighton Bennett

User avatar
Rogg
Posts: 24897
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by Rogg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:37 pm

I'd prefer if no-one had to play twice on one night because no-one should have to deal with something odd. But it's not automatically good or bad for those involved so just get the feck on with it I say.

There's one occasion I remember where somebody complained about having to play twice on one night. Cannibal will note that we're back to Canadians as it's Jeff Smith at the 2018 Worlds: "I struggled with the long break between my matches." https://dartsnews.com/smith-pdc-world-c ... ip-return/

(95.39) Jeff Smith 2-0 Luke Humphries (88.56)
(100.93) Gary Anderson 3-0 Jeff Smith (78.38)

Ando went 10-11-12 in the second set and would surely have bummed him regardless, let's face it.
Goldsaddle Goatfish
cnt go round calliNG people cyclops

User avatar
thegentle
Posts: 5774
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 am
Location: Watford
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by thegentle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 pm

Rogg wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:58 pm
Captain Hobo wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am
The Ginge Reaper wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:48 pm
We had this moan last year, they arent going to put on a night of just Last 96 games as it would be garbage for ticket sales, so there is no other option.

They are hardly up there playing tennis for five fucking hours are they?
It isn't a big deal, and like Rogg said can be a disadvantage the other way as well, but since they have gone to this format they should absolutely change the 'Defending champ must play on the first night' rule. Makes no sense that only 1 of the Last 96 winners plays 2 games on the 1 night.

Surely the first night would sell out if you put 4 of the most interesting Last 96 games on? This year it could be Duzza, Cadby and Jamie Hughes maybe.
Genius, they could start with the real world champion for a change :)

I think I agree with you. I personally don't want to see the defending champ on opening night anyway. I'd prefer things to warm up for two or three days first, although now it's become a tradition it would maybe seem a bit weird to break it.

Hearn or Porter tweeted last year that they want to guarantee a seed in every session for the sake of the crowd, which explains why they mix Rounds 1 and 2 in the first place. A sensible general idea but there are indeed plenty of ProTour qualifiers who can engage, including former seeds and future seeds. And Barney this year, probably.
Darts Twitter and the forums will be going mental either way whoever wins that tie!
'Orns

User avatar
The Thorn
Posts: 10278
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by The Thorn » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Rogg wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:37 pm
I'd prefer if no-one had to play twice on one night because no-one should have to deal with something odd. But it's not automatically good or bad for those involved so just get the feck on with it I say.

There's one occasion I remember where somebody complained about having to play twice on one night. Cannibal will note that we're back to Canadians as it's Jeff Smith at the 2018 Worlds: "I struggled with the long break between my matches." https://dartsnews.com/smith-pdc-world-c ... ip-return/

(95.39) Jeff Smith 2-0 Luke Humphries (88.56)
(100.93) Gary Anderson 3-0 Jeff Smith (78.38)

Ando went 10-11-12 in the second set and would surely have bummed him regardless, let's face it.
So did he struggle with the long break, or playing two games? Those are kinda opposites of each other, and it's not too clear. Seems more of an excuse.

User avatar
Rogg
Posts: 24897
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:33 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by Rogg » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:15 pm

Burton DeWitt @bsd987 15h
Here are the Ally Pally tables, with minimum money added for provisional TV qualifiers and ET10 qualifiers. Everyone from Darius Labanauskas up on the ProTour list likely have done enough to qualify for the World Championships.


Image
Goldsaddle Goatfish
cnt go round calliNG people cyclops

User avatar
sennafan24
Moderator
Posts: 10802
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:08 pm

Jamie Lewis is fucked if he falls outside the top 32.

I assume Barney is safe now?
"nature v nuture , kid is surrounded by pricks you end up being one" Fandarts on Leighton Bennett

User avatar
The Thorn
Posts: 10278
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by The Thorn » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 pm

Headshaker is practically safe now yeah. No doubt this will make him miss every other tour event from now on.

User avatar
sennafan24
Moderator
Posts: 10802
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:21 pm

Cadby could still qualify, but he needs a few strong runs.
"nature v nuture , kid is surrounded by pricks you end up being one" Fandarts on Leighton Bennett

User avatar
thegentle
Posts: 5774
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 am
Location: Watford
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by thegentle » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:42 am

sennafan24 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:21 pm
Cadby could still qualify, but he needs a few strong runs.
Having played just over half the events played this year, I'd say he's pretty well placed to sneak in, been averaging some decent numbers and has started to qualify for Euro Tour events which are obviously going to be vital for him. Even if he doesn't make it via the ProTour, he still has the DT, World Youths and the PDPA qualifier if it comes down to it, so definitely not panic stations for him yet
'Orns

User avatar
sennafan24
Moderator
Posts: 10802
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:11 am

thegentle wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:42 am
sennafan24 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:21 pm
Cadby could still qualify, but he needs a few strong runs.
Having played just over half the events played this year, I'd say he's pretty well placed to sneak in, been averaging some decent numbers and has started to qualify for Euro Tour events which are obviously going to be vital for him. Even if he doesn't make it via the ProTour, he still has the DT, World Youths and the PDPA qualifier if it comes down to it, so definitely not panic stations for him yet
Fair points

I don't follow the non-TV events. So I was unaware how Cadby was playing.
"nature v nuture , kid is surrounded by pricks you end up being one" Fandarts on Leighton Bennett

User avatar
Randall
Moderator
Posts: 80186
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by Randall » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:52 am

Nobody would want to get him first up
Image

User avatar
sennafan24
Moderator
Posts: 10802
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 am

The 32 Pro Tour qualifiers will be stronger than the Lakeshite last 32 this year.

Duzza, RVB, Kyle Anderson, Hughes, Kimi, Vinny and perhaps Cadby. Those names compare well to Harms, Mitchell, Veestra, Williams, Unty and Waites, etc.
"nature v nuture , kid is surrounded by pricks you end up being one" Fandarts on Leighton Bennett

User avatar
Randall
Moderator
Posts: 80186
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm
Location: On a hill surrounded by Indians (Leicester)
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by Randall » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am

sennafan24 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 am
The 32 Pro Tour qualifiers will be stronger than the Lakeshite last 32 this year.

Duzza, RVB, Kyle Anderson, Hughes, Kimi, Vinny and perhaps Cadby. Those names compare well to Harms, Mitchell, Veestra, Williams, Unty and Waites, etc.
64 to 96 would compare well ffs.
Image

User avatar
thegentle
Posts: 5774
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 am
Location: Watford
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by thegentle » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:40 am

Randall wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am
sennafan24 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 am
The 32 Pro Tour qualifiers will be stronger than the Lakeshite last 32 this year.

Duzza, RVB, Kyle Anderson, Hughes, Kimi, Vinny and perhaps Cadby. Those names compare well to Harms, Mitchell, Veestra, Williams, Unty and Waites, etc.
64 to 96 would compare well ffs.
Have to agree here, the international players from last year are probably on a par with the Lakeshite last 32. The ProTour qualifiers even last year were way better than the Lakeshite last 32, and I'd imagine it would have been the same in years gone by if the format had been expanded earlier
'Orns

User avatar
The Thorn
Posts: 10278
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by The Thorn » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 pm

thegentle wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:40 am
Randall wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am
sennafan24 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 am
The 32 Pro Tour qualifiers will be stronger than the Lakeshite last 32 this year.

Duzza, RVB, Kyle Anderson, Hughes, Kimi, Vinny and perhaps Cadby. Those names compare well to Harms, Mitchell, Veestra, Williams, Unty and Waites, etc.
64 to 96 would compare well ffs.
Have to agree here, the international players from last year are probably on a par with the Lakeshite last 32. The ProTour qualifiers even last year were way better than the Lakeshite last 32, and I'd imagine it would have been the same in years gone by if the format had been expanded earlier
I'm not sure about that. The likes of Labanauskas, Asada have failed to do anything really significant at Lakeshite and they are probably the best of the bunch. Same with the Australian or North American players. They are always fancied for a run but you barely find those guys at the real business end of Lakeshite. Have progressed that much over a course of a year, I don't know?

User avatar
thegentle
Posts: 5774
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:52 am
Location: Watford
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by thegentle » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:07 pm

The Thorn wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:33 pm
thegentle wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:40 am
Randall wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am
sennafan24 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:47 am
The 32 Pro Tour qualifiers will be stronger than the Lakeshite last 32 this year.

Duzza, RVB, Kyle Anderson, Hughes, Kimi, Vinny and perhaps Cadby. Those names compare well to Harms, Mitchell, Veestra, Williams, Unty and Waites, etc.
64 to 96 would compare well ffs.
Have to agree here, the international players from last year are probably on a par with the Lakeshite last 32. The ProTour qualifiers even last year were way better than the Lakeshite last 32, and I'd imagine it would have been the same in years gone by if the format had been expanded earlier
I'm not sure about that. The likes of Labanauskas, Asada have failed to do anything really significant at Lakeshite and they are probably the best of the bunch. Same with the Australian or North American players. They are always fancied for a run but you barely find those guys at the real business end of Lakeshite. Have progressed that much over a course of a year, I don't know?
The best of the BDO 32 seem slightly better than the best of the international 32, and there are slightly more absolute also-rans from the PDC international players, but the bulk seem to be very similar. You also have some of the players classified as international doing good things in the PDC this year, although how much of that is because of improvements just from this year alone is anyone's guess. Obviously not all the BDO lads did Q-School, but outside of maybe Mitchell, Unty and Harms, it's absolutely no loss to the PDC whatsoever.

As for the likes of Asada and Labanauskas, I definitely think they're better players now than during their time in the BDO/WDF system. Asada seemed to just play a token tournament or two in Asia then jet off to the UK for the Masters/Lakeshite, whereas at least now he's getting regular steel-tip games which does seem to be helping him. Labanauskas played much more steel-tip, but started playing more PDC last year, and even that little taster in Europe seemed to improve him more than he would have got had he just stayed in the BDO
'Orns

User avatar
The Thorn
Posts: 10278
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:36 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by The Thorn » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:39 pm

From the 2019 tournaments, first round stats. If my counting is right lol. Seems pretty evenly matched, though I haven't included the pressure of the Lakeshite stage in calculation.

Averages above 90

PDC internationals: 8
BDO top 32: 7

Averages below 85:

PDC internationals: 13
BDO top 32: 12

User avatar
sennafan24
Moderator
Posts: 10802
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:00 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Greatest Show on Earth

Post by sennafan24 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:47 pm

The Thorn wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:39 pm
From the 2019 tournaments, first round stats. If my counting is right lol. Seems pretty evenly matched, though I haven't included the pressure of the Lakeshite stage in calculation.

Averages above 90

PDC internationals: 8
BDO top 32: 7

Averages below 85:

PDC internationals: 13
BDO top 32: 12
So if we go by this, we can conclude that the PDC could hold 3 Championships (Class A, Class B, and Class C). Class A and Class B would be better than Lakeshite. Class C would be on par.
"nature v nuture , kid is surrounded by pricks you end up being one" Fandarts on Leighton Bennett

Post Reply
Users browsing this forum: Emulsfier, ILAD, MSN [Bot] and 25 guests