Who is the biggest underachiever in the current top 32?

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO

Peter Wright
7%
Michael Smith
7%
Ian White
3%
Simon Whitlock
7%
Dave Chinsnall
10%
Joe Cullen
27%
Stephen Bunting
7%
Mervyn King
3%
Adrian Lewis
30%

Total votes: 30

Emulsfier

Post by Emulsfier » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:42 pm

Watching some of the displays in the last few tournaments got me wondering what the consensus is on who is the player that was or is constantly talked up about how great they could be, only to never deliver.

I put a few names on the list which some might say are unfair to put up there, but it's better to have more choice than less.

Ive redone the list to include Lewis so anyone who voted before could you please vote again.
Last edited by Emulsfier on Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Boring Brendas number one and (almost) only fan.

Smithys number one and (definitely not) only hater.

Dreammaker

Re: Who is the biggest underachiever in the current top 32?

Post by Dreammaker » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:00 pm

Bunting and beaton will always be a world champion even if buntings was bdo so that can't be under achieving in my eyes. So Cullen out of that list as I can't remember him doing anything of note

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Adrian Lewis should be on the list. Especially over the past 5 years or so.

Out of those listed, I would say Bully Smith is the biggest underachiever. He's been touted as a future World Champion for almost a decade now. I remember the players singing his praises on the PDC YouTube channel years ago. Yet, he still hasn't even won a major.

Ian White is probably the biggest underachiever in terms of TV events.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

JH01

Post by JH01 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:22 pm

Tough call. For all his talent and scoring ability, Chisnall should have a major title, but he has hardly come close. His Grand Prix final was embarrasing, and left himself to much to do in his Grand Slam final. Took him 6 attempts just to make the quarters at the World's.

King too, his Grand Prix and Masters finals were a dictionary definition of capitulation.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:31 pm

I'm also going with Lewis. Such a wasted career. Other biggest ones are Wright and Chizzy.

As I said in the other thread, I don't consider Cullen an underachiever, as he just never showed that he has that consistent game in the first place. I'd say the same about White, on TV he hasn't done anything that says to me that he should have been in finals or anything like that.

I'm undecided on Smith. Yes, he has been touted as a huge talent, but he's only really been an elite player. It was only last year that he had a real breakthrough, won on the World Series, almost won the finals too and of course been to a world final. No, I don't really think of him as an underachiever, it's well feasible that he could fall over the line very soon. (even if right now his game isn't in the best shape)
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Emulsfier

Post by Emulsfier » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:31 pm

For me, the number of times I've heard it said that Cullen SHOULD have won a euro tour and SHOULD be knocking on the door of the majors while being so craptacular gives him the edge for me, although Snakeshite and Smith run him very close. Not sure I agree with the Lewis picks, while he has massively fallen from grace at least he did achieve something, unlike some of the other chappies on the list. I will put Lewis on the list since there is demand for it. Those who voted already will need to vote again.
Last edited by Emulsfier on Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:36 pm

Lewis could, and should be the biggest challenger to MVG. With his talent to barely be in the top 16, not to have won a major in 5 years, is simply a travesty.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:38 pm

Cullen for me.
Won nothing and I feel confident in saying he never will

bojeru

Post by bojeru » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:14 pm

I wouldn't say Wright is an underachiever compared to the rest on that list.

In terms of floor to TV events White is up there, but he's finding his stride recently on the Euro Tour so who knows.

Cullen has been talked up so much during the last year, but he's yet to win anything and at this point it doesn't look likely that he will.

Whitlock, Chizzy, Bunting and King I'd say that they are at about what their level should be so I wouldn't call them underachievers. Perhaps King since he could have definitely won some tournaments when he first switched.

Smith I feel like he's got plenty of time and there's no doubt he'll win a major. And then out of that list there's my choice: Aidy Lewis. Despite being a 2 time world champ I feel like he hasn't lived up to his potential. He should have won more majors, be a consistent threat to MvG and the rest. That YouTube clip where he hit that blind 180 against Manley and everyone talks about his potential back then backs up my point.

I'd also like to nominate Kyle Anderson. For a guy that has hit 2 televised 9 darters and has put in some huge averages on the tour during his career, he's yet to crack the Top 16.

bojeru

Post by bojeru » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:30 pm

And just as I say that about Lewis he gets beaten 6-0 by Jamie Hughes with a 77 average

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:08 pm

Can I change to Lewis

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:14 pm

hard to think of them being underachievers after making it into the top 32

Emulsfier

Post by Emulsfier » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:26 pm

skweezit wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:14 pm hard to think of them being underachievers after making it into the top 32
Can you say with a straight face that all those up there have lived up to their billing?

JH01

Post by JH01 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:28 pm

The Thorn wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:31 pm I'm also going with Lewis. Such a wasted career. Other biggest ones are Wright and Chizzy.

As I said in the other thread, I don't consider Cullen an underachiever, as he just never showed that he has that consistent game in the first place. I'd say the same about White, on TV he hasn't done anything that says to me that he should have been in finals or anything like that.

I'm undecided on Smith. Yes, he has been touted as a huge talent, but he's only really been an elite player. It was only last year that he had a real breakthrough, won on the World Series, almost won the finals too and of course been to a world final. No, I don't really think of him as an underachiever, it's well feasible that he could fall over the line very soon. (even if right now his game isn't in the best shape)
Don't know about Wright. He only became a top player in his mid 40s 5 years ago. He's won a major, and been runner-up in a whole host of others. If you told me in 2011 or 2012 that Wright would go on to achieve what he has, I would never have believed you.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:37 pm

JH01 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:28 pm
The Thorn wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:31 pm I'm also going with Lewis. Such a wasted career. Other biggest ones are Wright and Chizzy.

Don't know about Wright. He only became a top player in his mid 40s 5 years ago. He's won a major, and been runner-up in a whole host of others. If you told me in 2011 or 2012 that Wright would go on to achieve what he has, I would never have believed you.
Just considering the level he played at around 2016-2017, he really should have won more than one single major. Gurney has won 2 majors in 2 years and his top game was never anywhere near as consistent as Wright's. He also didn't fuck away countless opportunities in finals.

JH01

Post by JH01 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:43 pm

The Thorn wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:37 pm

Just considering the level he played at around 2016-2017, he really should have won more than one single major. Gurney has won 2 majors in 2 years and his top game was never anywhere near as consistent as Wright's. He also didn't fuck away countless opportunities in finals.
Fair point, he really shat himself in that PL final. Was there another final he threw away?

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:45 pm

JH01 wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:43 pm
The Thorn wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:37 pm

Fair point, he really shat himself in that PL final. Was there another final he threw away?
Couldn't tell if there was another one where he missed match darts. But there was a few when he got very close and could have won. And a few where he was nowhere near MVG, and played below the standard you would have expected.

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:20 pm

Emulsfier wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:26 pm
skweezit wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:14 pm hard to think of them being underachievers after making it into the top 32
Can you say with a straight face that all those up there have lived up to their billing?
I learned a long time ago about hype.
for example, take memory foam.
Got a memory foam mattress, memory foam pillows, memory foam shoes.
Still can't remember shit.

In darts/sports, I'm patient enough so that when players get there, they get there and if they don't, they don't.
I don't discount potential (or hope. big on hope), but I don't pay much mind to people saying what "so & so" should have achieved or will never achieve.

so joe cullen as another example..."someone" said he should have done better by this time? I watch him. I don't see it.
adrian Lewis has won the big one twice, yet he's underachieved?

I'm not arguing, I'm just saying.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:40 am

Lewis has won 2 worlds and 1 UK open.
For someone of his ability that's underachieving.
Yes he is still relatively young but he looks like winning shit all else.
I'd argue barney has underachievied as well

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:50 am

You'll find almost total resistance around here to the idea that being in the world's elite is even an achievement. The attitude can be pointlessly negative but totally preferable to the kind of unconditional cult grade reverence that caused a bearded 63 year-old to consider himself an idol to Beckham and a farmer to think he's Madonna. That's just fucking dangerous.
not a girl