Darts articles in the Media thread

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Safc

Re: Darts articles in the Media thread

Post by Safc » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:23 pm

Only major i would change venue is Grand Prix.

Matchplay,Worlds,UK Open,Players Championship Finals and Grand Slam (Civic) are all fine where they are

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:14 pm

I think most agree that the Grand Prix needs a change of venue.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

Emulsfier

Post by Emulsfier » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:56 pm

Stick the Grand Prix in Scotland or Wales, and move it to the middle of May.
Boring Brendas number one and (almost) only fan.

Smithys number one and (definitely not) only hater.

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:53 pm

Emulsfier wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:56 pm Stick the Grand Prix in Scotland or Wales, and move it to the middle of May.
Why Scotland or Wales?

Gidra

Post by Gidra » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:59 pm

Whats the problem with Grand prix in Ireland last few years?

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:07 am

Gidra wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:59 pm Whats the problem with Grand prix in Ireland last few years?
Atmosphere is a bit shite, though granted it's in the absolute arse end of Dublin and is a nightmare to get to. Still, I think everyone can agree that the Netherlands could do with hosting some genuinely major events

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:16 pm

thegentle wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:38 pm
Some big ideas for the European Tour, tentatively planning 20 events all across Europe with a £6m total prize fund, though from this it sounds more like it's being thrown out there rather than them having any concrete plans so far
The PDC have been talking for years about the golf pro tour and emulating that approach. I admit I don't follow golf. But seems to me they want to have two pro tiers. One for the top players then a mixed pro to semi pro tier.Futher it seems that the ETs are what they are banking on to do the split, but they just haven't reached the number of events they needed in the ETs to do that.
I'm guessing the idea is to have enough ETs worth the payouts so tip players are inclined to do those and do less of the PCs. Not convinced that as of now is the way forward but it is the right thinking as the top players are playing a lot of events with no layoff. It really comes down to creating the right incentives for the top players as well as making sure the break thru players play enough but have some time off to develop as well. Tricky balancing act for everyone
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:04 am

Some mort shitstirring from the MEtro, following the article with Jim Williams...

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/14/kyle-mck ... g-9952496/
‘I’ve qualified for the World Trophy, but nobody knows where it’s at,’ McKinstry continued. ‘I’ve text and rang [BDO chairman] Des Jacklin, but he won’t even reply to my calls or messages. ‘My manager’s onto me looking to book flights and hotels and I don’t even know where it is! We can’t book anything, it’s frustrating, we’ve lost the points from last year because it hasn’t been played. I’ve lost 28 points. ‘I’m not confident about it, I don’t think it is going to happen, to be quite honest, I don’t think the World Trophy is going to go ahead. ‘And if the World Trophy isn’t going to go ahead, which is one of the main ones which Des signed this contract for last year, the World Championship, the World Masters and the World Trophy, if the first one doesn’t go ahead, it makes you think about Lakeside. Is Lakeside going to go ahead? It makes you think. ‘I don’t think he’s lying, but if he could just tell the players involved and say it’s going to be in Manchester or wherever, or even near there, if you book to Manchester you’ll be safe enough. You don’t need to do a whole big speech, just tell the players because it’s not fair on them.’
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:06 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:04 am Some mort shitstirring from the MEtro, following the article with Jim Williams...

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/14/kyle-mck ... g-9952496/
‘I’ve qualified for the World Trophy, but nobody knows where it’s at,’ McKinstry continued. ‘I’ve text and rang [BDO chairman] Des Jacklin, but he won’t even reply to my calls or messages. ‘My manager’s onto me looking to book flights and hotels and I don’t even know where it is! We can’t book anything, it’s frustrating, we’ve lost the points from last year because it hasn’t been played. I’ve lost 28 points. ‘I’m not confident about it, I don’t think it is going to happen, to be quite honest, I don’t think the World Trophy is going to go ahead. ‘And if the World Trophy isn’t going to go ahead, which is one of the main ones which Des signed this contract for last year, the World Championship, the World Masters and the World Trophy, if the first one doesn’t go ahead, it makes you think about Lakeshite. Is Lakeshite going to go ahead? It makes you think. ‘I don’t think he’s lying, but if he could just tell the players involved and say it’s going to be in Manchester or wherever, or even near there, if you book to Manchester you’ll be safe enough. You don’t need to do a whole big speech, just tell the players because it’s not fair on them.’
How the fuck can Uncle Des even give the players a clue when he doesn't know where, when or even if an event is actually going to happen?
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:20 pm

He could just make it up! lol

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43 pm

McKinstry & Williams have fallen straight back into mushroom mode following their failures to get Tour Cards, the latter embarrassingly so.

I wonder if Sunshine Radio's star threw that game against Osbourne at Q-School that eliminated him from contention.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:10 pm

Fiss Plaps wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:43 pm McKinstry & Williams have fallen straight back into mushroom mode following their failures to get Tour Cards, the latter embarrassingly so.

I wonder if Sunshine Radio's star threw that game against Osbourne at Q-School that eliminated him from contention.
BeeDeeO Killed the (Sunshine) Radio Star
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:31 am

Not a darts article as such but Matt Porter linked it.

Matthew Porter @MattPorter_PDC
Interesting article on golf.... What do you as darts fans prefer? A handful of big stars dominating the silverware, or a wider spread of champions including some lesser known names?
Is golf more interesting when a small group of elite players dominate the biggest events or when victory seems within the grasp of pretty much anyone?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/48746309
not a girl

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm

that was a slightly better article than the piece of shit Nazi Pete put on his site of Dutchie plagirism. But both failed to make a point worth two shits.
The BBC article wasn't about which is more interesting, it really was about which is more marketable. The sport shouldn't be lead around by which they think is more marketable, they should just hire advertising people capable of selling the product. The minute a sport starts to let marketing reasons lead the choices over sporting fairness, integrity and performance excellence they might as well just go down the road of wrestling and make the whole pile of shit fake.

The Nazi Pete piece was basically lets do a point system over a money system because in reality after the stupid dutch cunt worked it all out, nothing much changed. In this case the stupid idiot doesn't recognize the real problems with the current system. So of course not recognizing the problems he can't determine how to really fix the situation with more than some useless band aid. The problem isn't fixed by just changing to a point system (as proved by the nazi dutch cunts results), you have to change duration of OOM, qualifying structures, and top heavy payouts. It is a "problem" that needs a multi faceted solution.

First I'm not convinced there is a problem with the PDC system. Ok some minor things maybe like GSOD selection and HNQ ET qualifiers. I think up to this point in darts we have always seen a few players dominate, regardless of the eras. Something about darts just seems to lend itself to this situation. If this is a problem they have to figure out why this phenomena is persistent and then address that issue. Seems to me it is persistent because you have one or two players who just are way ahead of everyone else in skill. The real solution is figure out how to create an environment where players can advance their skills, develop new talent, and find new talent.

What you don't want to do is reward mediocre shit and penalize excellence for the sake of some fake apparent competitive situation because now they have some marketable players?? Fuck off you have the same shit you had before and one thing marketing people should recognize is when consumers are let down on claims on a product they drop that product quicker than Oche can choke down a crayon.

I think alot of people just don't like that the top players currently aren't their favs or they just don't like them because they are cunts. I would argue that there are more players now that are legitimate contenders and possible major winners than we have had in the past 20 years.
We Desire Information.

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:33 pm

I agree not a lot wrong with the system. except the points you raised. Look at the players who drop out the top 16 every year. Wade struggled for a couple of years and looked like he was dropping like a stone and started winning again. 2 years ago you had the likes of Norris, Huybrechts and van der Pas in the top 16 and they are struggling now. Prize Money maybe should be looked at and qualifying criteria for the Euros is a must!

miguelking

Post by miguelking » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:18 pm

cannibal wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm that was a slightly better article than the piece of shit Nazi Pete put on his site of Dutchie plagirism. But both failed to make a point worth two shits.
The BBC article wasn't about which is more interesting, it really was about which is more marketable. The sport shouldn't be lead around by which they think is more marketable, they should just hire advertising people capable of selling the product. The minute a sport starts to let marketing reasons lead the choices over sporting fairness, integrity and performance excellence they might as well just go down the road of wrestling and make the whole pile of shit fake.

The Nazi Pete piece was basically lets do a point system over a money system because in reality after the stupid dutch cunt worked it all out, nothing much changed. In this case the stupid idiot doesn't recognize the real problems with the current system. So of course not recognizing the problems he can't determine how to really fix the situation with more than some useless band aid. The problem isn't fixed by just changing to a point system (as proved by the nazi dutch cunts results), you have to change duration of OOM, qualifying structures, and top heavy payouts. It is a "problem" that needs a multi faceted solution.

First I'm not convinced there is a problem with the PDC system. Ok some minor things maybe like GSOD selection and HNQ ET qualifiers. I think up to this point in darts we have always seen a few players dominate, regardless of the eras. Something about darts just seems to lend itself to this situation. If this is a problem they have to figure out why this phenomena is persistent and then address that issue. Seems to me it is persistent because you have one or two players who just are way ahead of everyone else in skill. The real solution is figure out how to create an environment where players can advance their skills, develop new talent, and find new talent.

What you don't want to do is reward mediocre shit and penalize excellence for the sake of some fake apparent competitive situation because now they have some marketable players?? Fuck off you have the same shit you had before and one thing marketing people should recognize is when consumers are let down on claims on a product they drop that product quicker than Oche can choke down a crayon.

I think alot of people just don't like that the top players currently aren't their favs or they just don't like them because they are cunts. I would argue that there are more players now that are legitimate contenders and possible major winners than we have had in the past 20 years.

ONE for you https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ars-growth

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:42 pm

Odd there is no mention of the CDC

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:43 pm

miguelking wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:18 pm
cannibal wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm that was a slightly better article than the piece of shit Nazi Pete put on his site of Dutchie plagirism. But both failed to make a point worth two shits.

ONE for you https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... ars-growth
FFS MK the doctor says I need to keep my blood pressure down...and here you come along with this. For the love of God if I kick off it's on your head lol.
Working up for a good rant about this article.
We Desire Information.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:59 pm

StevieBoy wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:42 pm Odd there is no mention of the CDC
What is even odder or more odd or more oddest; is that the a certain CDC board member publicly called for people not to share this "POS Spam". Strange that given the article highlights one of the CDC supposed partners in the still born organization they started called the United Darts Alliance. No idea what they have done or why they formed it or even if the useless acronym is still in existence. One mention of it in some CDC press release. 2 years ago and nothing since.

Even funnier is this person is supposed to be the promoter and media person and yet he never had a clue as to what a "Write-Around" is in journalism. From his statement it is obvious he still doesn't know what it is. Should not be surprised as a professional TV producer and cameraman he couldn't even get a decent stream of the CDC events. Stream only got better when they outsourced it to some hobbyist. And you think I am kidding when I call these people clowns...
We Desire Information.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:30 pm

I will attempt to be as concise in my criticism of this particular article. It is going to be tough because there is so much stupid shit said in the article.

1. 17 mill. Americans play darts is the claim. It certainly may be true that 17 mill. threw a dart more than a couple times in a year; but do they really "play" darts. The survey question typically used for this number is something as follows: In the past 12 months did you participate more than once (or 2x or even 3x depending on the survey) in the following activities? Then darts or throwing darts is a response category. Throwing darts at a board with a picture attached to it hardly constitutes a serious or even a serious recreational activity. This is akin to kicking a football around your backyard 3 times a year with your kid or relatives at the family gathering and implying those people play seriously or even competitively that would lend itself to creating talented participants in that activity. For the love of God footy (soccer as the yanks like to call it) is played by more people in America than any other sport as kids and adults but yet Americans are absolute shit at it. Figures that I have seen and been reported on that approx 25 million Americans play some form of organized footy. So equating participation with or even implying it has a major impact in the standard of athletes on a world level is utter bullshit. So many other factors come into play in creating quality players than just participation. Major factor is a system that brings in participation and then moves talented players on thru a tiered system of increasing levels of play. This doesn't exist in darts in America, basically any mong with a few quid can play the best of the best at just about any event on any given weekend thru out the USA.

2. Claim: "Personalities like Wright’s do exist in the world of US darts. American Darters Association president Karl Remick cites players in his organization who he thinks, if given the chance, would have breakout careers on a major stage. " And "..."Remick only cites 117 professionals as being part of that group in 2019."
FFS I don't even have to offer an argument against the first claim; just watch any stream of an American event. The standard doesn't even come close to the top players of the PDC. Add to that look at the results of when an American has had the chance on the big stage, other than Butler in the yonks ago Matchplay, they pretty much shit the bed. To the second claim of "117 Professionals"; Professional by Remick is determined by who wins what against a pile of shit players in America. So if your top of the pile of shit that is American darts soft tip or steel, then your a professional. Nothing to do with making a living; it is his own standard that he makes up for his own events, and is highly dependent on cunty soft tip events. The characters that Remick claims exist are basically drunk drug addled morons that act the fool because they are on substances not because they have true talent in darts.

3. Claim: "US darts may not ever reach the soaring heights and rockstar status of its European cousin. There are still too many built-in advantages for the latter. Gambling has been legal in the UK for decades, offering a leg up when drumming up interest in competitions and results." This claim coupled with the often repeated "Cost of travel vs reward of winning" both show the complete stupidity of insular thinking of the dart community and what drives people to participate in recreational sport, even for the serious striving competitor who wants to be the creme de le creme. First legalizing gambling on sport isn't going to bring loads of money to darts because hordes of people gamble on what they enjoy watching, a bit of a flutter if you will. Few in America know anything about darts and we are not a culture of degenerate gamblers on mass who will gamble for the sake of just gambling. We have Casinos for that and that is where those people go. Legalized gambling will benefit interest in NFL, NBA, and MLB and college sports. No one gives a fuck about darts here in the USA. Darts is a joke here as it as seen as a pub sport played by fat old gits. If darts where part of our culture like it is in the UK or even if we had a superstar like the Dutchies have I would say that gambling my make a difference but we don't and we won't for a very long time if ever.

4. Claim: "Remick believes the only ways darts can flourish in the US is if all parties put their resources to a distinct strategic plan. “They always think it’s a good idea, [but] they never do it in the long run,” he says. “Without one common goal we can’t go anywhere. We can’t get on the same page for some strange reason.”
From my reading of Remick and his posts he thinks soft and steel is all darts and they should be working towards a common goal. This is lunacy as the cunty soft tip model is based on people playing on our machines and only our machines. This is why they have crazy rules about number of league games and player sponsorship of rivals that curb who can play in their events. It is all about rewarding those who drop coin on "our machines" and the rest can fuck off. This is not the way to create a competitive environment of the best playing the best to push the standard of the game in cunty soft tip darts. The goal of the soft tip cunts is to maximize coin drop and loyalty to our machines, competitive excellence is not important or at least is a secondary or thirdly importance if it is even regarded at all. Remick and Sawyers view on this shows total stupidity of what the soft tip companies goals are vis a vis the goals of growing the game at any level from the steel tip perspective. It is a zero sum game when it comes to steel and soft cunts. Reason is if your not playing on soft cunty boards your not dropping coin on them so steel is the adversary in the soft tip cunts business model, simples. Some will argue that soft tip introduces players to darts and they move over to steel. Everything I have seen as far as data shows this result is not true. More steel players move to soft because of the perceived (this perception at the top level maybe true but at the lower level to intermediate level I"m not convinced it is) notion that there is more money in soft.

5: Claim: streaming is some kind of boon to the game. FFS in order to make money on free streaming on any platform you need to be in the 10's of viewers. Not just individual clicks but serious viewers that spend more than 20 seconds viewing an oddity. I would bet dollars to donuts that the CDC have lost tens of thousands on streaming. Their persistence in streaming every event for like 4 years has cost them a boat load of money. They get like 400 viewers (and I am being generous here). The cost of the funeral curtains, equipment, luggage cost, etc... certainly outweigh the value they have gotten in monetary terms in the last five years. If I am wrong I would love to have the CDC or NDA or any other useless acronym to provide me with figures to the contary. But they won't because end of the day all these acronyms are run by idiots that don't have a single brain cell dedicated to business acumen.

In short this was an article written by an individual completely ignorant of the American sports market, bolstered by the interviews of a couple morons that can't see anything because their heads are so far up their own assholes.
We Desire Information.