World Cup of Darts 2019

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
thegentle

Re: World Cup of Darts 2019

Post by thegentle » Tue May 14, 2019 3:18 am

Safc wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:20 pm To be honest Wales are the only top 8 team who have 2 in form players Poland,Ireland,Japan look the dark horses to me
And Clayton isn't exactly firing on all cylinders at the moment, 1 win in his last 6 games and that was only at the weekend. Really is different now, there aren't any one or two nations which are miles ahead of the rest. There is guaranteed to be a new name on the trophy, and there may well be a new nation win the event too

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue May 14, 2019 3:21 am

I know this is a doubles event, but where would you guys put this re all the other events? Higher than a World Series event or World Youth title? I mean, unless Scotland win, I suppose you can make the case that someone will get a career-best win out of this

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Tue May 14, 2019 8:34 am

A career best win on some useless made up world cup event? You have to be kidding me.

If any participant thinks this is some kind of career best they truly have had a fucking useless career.

And the whole representing ones country idea is absolutely contrived notion to make this event seem more important than it is. The PDC picks the criteria not the country so they are playing as a representative of the PDC. Look at how participants for countries are chosen in international events and the PDC process is nothing like that. As an international even the PDC world cup is a joke and nothing more than an exbo and a shit one at that.

I rate this less important than that soft tip shit championship by darts live. And I don't even rate that soft tip shit as darts.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue May 14, 2019 9:03 am

At the end of the day, this is an exbo, but so are the World Series events. I guess this being on Sky and a one off makes this more significant than those. Then again this is doubles and a short format. Could say the same about Euro Tours, there are a dozen of those and they aren't even televised. However they are proper ranking comps with a sweet 25k towards your rankings if you happen to win one. Maybe as a player you would prefer to win a Euro Tour because of the amount of money in the rankings, however in the eyes of the darting public, the World Cup will be seen as more significant.

Impossible to say, who had a better career so far, Clayton winning a Euro Tour, or Kando winning a World Series? Will Wattimena surpass them if MVG carries him to the title?

I know we love Dimitri here, but a world youth title means very little to me, that's a single game on stage. It is much more the Development Tour Finals then a world title of any sorts.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue May 14, 2019 9:42 am

The Thorn wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:03 am At the end of the day, this is an exbo, but so are the World Series events. I guess this being on Sky and a one off makes this more significant than those. Then again this is doubles and a short format. Could say the same about Euro Tours, there are a dozen of those and they aren't even televised. However they are proper ranking comps with a sweet 25k towards your rankings if you happen to win one. Maybe as a player you would prefer to win a Euro Tour because of the amount of money in the rankings, however in the eyes of the darting public, the World Cup will be seen as more significant.

Impossible to say, who had a better career so far, Clayton winning a Euro Tour, or Kando winning a World Series? Will Wattimena surpass them if MVG carries him to the title?

I know we love Dimitri here, but a world youth title means very little to me, that's a single game on stage. It is much more the Development Tour Finals then a world title of any sorts.
I like the early rounds of World Series events in a perverse way, top players often are jetlagged and don't really want to be there and can be drawn into a scrap against assorted international jobbers, but ultimately I often don't really care who wins those events, and I'd guess they're pretty low down most players' lists of priorities. The World Cup can be a lottery, you could get very far off the back of doing very little yourself, but it's something different from the usual legplay singles we see oh so often. On paper it's probably a better achievement to win a World Series or a Euro Tour event (possibly even a floor event too), but the World Cup is a fun little event that the players seem to love. What forum nerds don't seem to notice is that players don't obsess about these minor details that forum nerds bang on about all the time lol

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed May 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Fiss Plaps wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:01 pm For some reason I thought Smith had played in this before. Then I remembered who partnered Cross last year.

No wonder they didn't win.
+1
I remember it well. Belgium caned them with Dimitri taking Diamong Dave to the cleaners.
not a girl

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu May 16, 2019 5:22 pm

Draw in 10 minutes on Facebook Live

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Thu May 16, 2019 5:31 pm

Giddy giddy giddy giddy!!!
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Thu May 16, 2019 5:38 pm

WC Draw:

England v Philippines
Ireland v Greece
Austria v Russia
China v USA

Australia v Finland
italy v Canada
Netherlands v Spain
Poland v Czech Republic

Scotland v Denmark
Brazil v Sweden
Belgium v Hong Kong
Hungary v Germany

Northern Ireland v South Africa
New Zealand v Lithuania
Wales v Singapore
Gibraltar v Japan
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Thu May 16, 2019 5:49 pm

Pretty tough section of the draw for the Dutch, even if the Spanish and Aussie pairs aren't on top form at the moment. Potentially two real banana skins in the first two rounds for England and Wales

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu May 16, 2019 5:51 pm

Overall it's a pretty decent draw for the seeds. Aussies might be going out I reckon, England and the Dutch have a tricky one too.

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Thu May 16, 2019 6:26 pm

good opener for Team USA.
against China!
did I say good? I meant great!
couldn't have asked for better.

even Team Canada got a choice matchup.
against Italy!

Team Japan must be happy too.
against Gibraltar!

Unlucky Team Philippines.
drawing England in the first,
but it's doubles format so hey!
a quick jump off the toe line and unexpected things can happen.

doubles drama is unique. looking forward to this.

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Fri May 17, 2019 6:58 am

Another 1st round loss then... Need a miracle.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri May 17, 2019 5:31 pm

bullseye

Post by bullseye » Sat May 18, 2019 7:26 am

Easy game for England v the flips.

Safc

Post by Safc » Sat May 18, 2019 9:09 am

To be honest I could see Hong Kong,Singapore,Philippines,Russia,Finland and Spain all given there oponents trouble

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Mon May 20, 2019 8:44 pm

Finally got around to listening to Beresford glorified blogger on darts interview with North American participants in the PDC world cup.
Young in the interview admitted that the last weekend at the cutoff he players didn't know what the criteria was for selection via CDC. Fucking stupid on the part of the CDC and the PDC. If you want to create incentive for the best players to show up they should have been promoting the selection criteria so the best players start showing up regularly. As well as promoting the importance of the CDC in relation to the PDC and pro darts.

Beresford calls Puleo a power scorer and an experienced player. FFS Beresford is a moron. Puleo first 9 avg is less than 94. There are a 100+ players on the PDC Pro Tour that have a first 9 over 95. He has like 3 matches over 95 in the last 2+ years. Not even close to a power scorer. Experience laughable on the international level. He has nothing listed in results before 2017. Internationally the only thing he has listed are the q school 2019, 1 PDC WC appearance, and a couple PDC North America World Series qualifiers. Wouldn't call that much experience internationally or otherwise.

They should walk over China. China is shit, Zong is a low 80's player. Zhan I have no clue but haven't heard him win anything and did nothing in the PDC youth when he played.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

skweezit

Post by skweezit » Thu May 23, 2019 10:31 pm

see that chuck puleo won both DPLA tournies last weekend. (dart players of Los Angeles)
he has played 94 legs so far in their series. averaging 97.8 for the 1st 9.

big daddy said he didn't know what the selecting criteria was "for Canada" for the PDC World cup.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Mon May 27, 2019 9:18 am

Connor Mc Aleer @connormca16
Ian white is playing great darts at the minute England should have him playing in the World Cup instead of Michael Smith

Not a klaxon I ever expected to hear. Hopefully Whitey makes the most of today. This time tomorrow he's pure shit and MVG wins everything. Sorry mate.
not a girl

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:53 am

This article was posted on TSOD - https://dartsnews.com/column-the-world- ... -calendar/

It begins:
THE WORLD CUP OF DARTS IS THE BEST TOURNAMENT IN THE PDC CALENDAR
The PDC World Championship is the ‘big one’. The World Matchplay is good too. But there’s nothing better than the World Cup of Darts.
I am not reading the rest.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.