2019 European Tour

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
thegentle

2019 European Tour

Post by thegentle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:32 pm

Apparently East European qualifiers start this weekend, as per Jetze Jan on Twitter. Big thing to note is that all European tour card holders, regardless of nationality, are batched together for qualifiers, so East Europe, Nordic/Baltic and Home Nation qualifiers are for non-tour card holders only
https://www.pdc.tv/pdc-order-merit-rules

The Thorn

Re: 2019 European Tour

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm

Could be a good change as this could lead to more people from East Europe and Nordic/Baltic regions can qualify. Though it may be somewhat harder for the likes of Ratajski or Darius to qualify.

The same change with the home nation qualifiers is BS though. The likes of Hopp, Schindler, Clemens or Marijanovic are fucked over now. This will result in the best German players qualifying for less events, and more German jobbers having an easy qualifying path and shitting themselves on stage.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:54 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:38 pm Could be a good change as this could lead to more people from East Europe and Nordic/Baltic regions can qualify. Though it may be somewhat harder for the likes of Ratajski or Darius to qualify.

The same change with the home nation qualifiers is BS though. The likes of Hopp, Schindler, Clemens or Marijanovic are fucked over now. This will result in the best German players qualifying for less events, and more German jobbers having an easy qualifying path and shitting themselves on stage.
Will be interesting to see how it affects the NB and EE lads, Ratajski absolutely dominated the regional scene in 2017, but much less so in 2018 (though he's also fairly close to being seeded for these events so he might find himself bypassing these qualifiers altogether). The NB circuit is very competitive, Labanauskas aside (who qualified for 6/13), the rest only managed a handful of appearances at best, Razma and Kantele might welcome this change (the others certainly will!)
I think this system is good in a way, no players from any country are getting any favours like the Germans had been accused of in the past, but 4 HN qualifiers across the board (even for the Czechs) is excessive. Still, what a huge opportunity for non-tour card holders all across Europe

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing 4 Czech players in honesty, they only have one event. I even think the same about the Gibraltar lads and the Czech surely can't be worse than those jobbers. Though I can see them doing the same as with the Denmark event, 2 Czech and 2 Eastern Europe qualifiers.

4 home qualifiers were always too much for the Germans who have more than half the events, and with this change it will be absolutely outrageous IMO

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:31 pm

I'm hoping next year will at minimum see one of the host nation spots shifted to the Associate qualifier to make it a 3/3 split rather than 4/2. I think they didn't want to change too much at once - splitting the former 8-spot South/West qualifier into 6 spots for tour card holders and 2 for Associates is alright by the numbers, as that's almost exactly the split that last year's actual qualifiers had. Adding more than 2 Associate spots this year would have looked like it's coming at the expense of the tour card players, even if the extra spots had been taken from the host nation quota.

But it does leave some other things out of whack for the moment, especially because the number of EU tour card holders keeps rising and the UK number is going down. I think the 18/6 split for the card holders is just barely defensible at this point, though only because of the top 32 CT players getting into the UK section. They'll almost certainly have to adjust those numbers in future seasons, unless the plan is to scrap the distinction altogether eventually and just have all tour card players in a 24-spot qualifier. (Which would obviously be the fairest way, but brings some logistical issues.)

As for the German HNQs - I'm kinda hopeful that all those spots will get shared between a ton of players. There really aren't any players who stand out if you remove the 5 guys who hold tour cards now, so it's quite possible that nobody will manage to boss those qualifiers all year long.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:34 pm

The Thorn wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm I wouldn't mind seeing 4 Czech players in honesty, they only have one event. I even think the same about the Gibraltar lads and the Czech surely can't be worse than those jobbers. Though I can see them doing the same as with the Denmark event, 2 Czech and 2 Eastern Europe qualifiers.

4 home qualifiers were always too much for the Germans who have more than half the events, and with this change it will be absolutely outrageous IMO
I'd have liked that tbf, but it seems that there are 4 Czechs according to that link I posted in the OP, which does seem harsh on all the other countries in Eastern Europe. Again, I'm sure if the best 4 Czech players play to their maximum, they'll do well, but there's always the chance of a complete jobber slipping through the qualifier or at least one of them shitting the bed

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:50 pm

Steyer-Jirkal final for the East European berth for ET1. Two lads who just missed out on a tour card, so that's nice. Sedlacek was absent, at the hospital apparently with his partner and child, though hopefully should be back tomorrow (and possibly for the first CT weekend next week)

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:41 pm

Jirkal wins 6-3, a new Czech player on the European Tour. Well done lad, wouldn't be surprised to see him make a few more, especially the Czech event. This should stand him in good stead for that if he gets there! Steyer falls short again, hope to see him soon too

DartJack Horseman

Post by DartJack Horseman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:51 pm

Thanks to PDC Hungarian Fan Club facebook page

Kciuk, Steyer and Wacławski from Poland.

Kciuk reached two QFs, Steyer final and SF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDC European Tour East Europe Qualifier #1
European Darts Open - Leverkusen

Final:
Sebastian Steyer (86,38) 3-6 Pavel Jirkal (89,87)

Semi-finals
Sebastian Steyer 6-3 Michal Smejda
Székely Pál 5-6 Pavel Jirkal

Quaterfinals
Sebastian Steyer 6-3 Lukasz Waclawski
Jacub Kaspar 3-6 Michal Smejda
Krzysztof Kciuk 4-6 Székely Pál
Pavel Jirkal 6-3 Pavel Drtil

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDC European Tour East Europe Qualifier #2
German Darts Championship - Hildesheim

Final
David Rosi (76,69) 4-6 Boris Koltsov (89,92)

Semi-finals
David Rosi 6-4 Kovács Patrik
Sebastian Steyer 2-6 Boris Koltsov

Quaterfinals
David Rosi 6-2 Krzysztof Kciuk
David Pisek 4-6 Kovács Patrik
Sebastian Steyer 6-4 Balogh Béla
Székely Pál 5-6 Boris Koltsov

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:56 pm

DartJack Horseman wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:51 pm Thanks to PDC Hungarian Fan Club facebook page

Kciuk, Steyer and Wacławski from Poland.

Kciuk reached two QFs, Steyer final and SF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDC European Tour East Europe Qualifier #1
European Darts Open - Leverkusen

Final:
Sebastian Steyer (86,38) 3-6 Pavel Jirkal (89,87)

Semi-finals
Sebastian Steyer 6-3 Michal Smejda
Székely Pál 5-6 Pavel Jirkal

Quaterfinals
Sebastian Steyer 6-3 Lukasz Waclawski
Jacub Kaspar 3-6 Michal Smejda
Krzysztof Kciuk 4-6 Székely Pál
Pavel Jirkal 6-3 Pavel Drtil

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDC European Tour East Europe Qualifier #2
German Darts Championship - Hildesheim

Final
David Rosi (76,69) 4-6 Boris Koltsov (89,92)

Semi-finals
David Rosi 6-4 Kovács Patrik
Sebastian Steyer 2-6 Boris Koltsov

Quaterfinals
David Rosi 6-2 Krzysztof Kciuk
David Pisek 4-6 Kovács Patrik
Sebastian Steyer 6-4 Balogh Béla
Székely Pál 5-6 Boris Koltsov
+1 for copying from there.

DartJack Horseman

Post by DartJack Horseman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:16 pm

Polish Darts Organisation organises +- 10 Grand Prix events every year (two during one weekend).
Today Kanik lost to polish youth champion Białecki 2-4 in L32...
Then Białecki lost 0-4 to Ratajski in QF.
Rat won the whole thing.

Kciuk, Steyer and Wacławski competing in Bubeneč (Czech Republic) as mentioned.

Dick

Post by Dick » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:07 pm

I'm sure I read somewhere last year that the NB qualifiers have already taken place for ET1, ET2 and ET3.

Have I had a dream or am I right?

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:17 pm

Dick wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:07 pm I'm sure I read somewhere last year that the NB qualifiers have already taken place for ET1, ET2 and ET3.

Have I had a dream or am I right?
Correct, it was done last year

ET1: Madars Razma
ET2: Kim Viljanen
ET3: Magnus Caris

Dick

Post by Dick » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:22 pm

Thanks Thorn

Dick

Post by Dick » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:01 pm

I think I've got this right but reading it German tour card holders Hopp, Marijanovic, Clemens, Schindler and Bunse (don't think I've missed any) have got to play in the West and South Europe qualifiers with the other European tour card holders such as Klaasen, Van der Voort, De Zwaan etc for 6 qualifying places.
And players like Horvat, Munch etc can play in the HNQ where there is still 4 places available. So the better German non tour card holders such as Horvat and Munch have got qualifying a lot easier than the likes of Hopp etc. Very strange and doesn't seem very fair, and is likely to weaken the tournament.

Dick

Post by Dick » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:03 pm

And Razma has qualified for ET1 through the PDCNB qualifiers even though he is now a tour card holder and shouldn't be playing in those qualifiers. I imagine he won't be able to play in the NB qualifiers anymore and has had a bit of luck being able to qualify for the first one through that route.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:02 pm

Dick wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:03 pm And Razma has qualified for ET1 through the PDCNB qualifiers even though he is now a tour card holder and shouldn't be playing in those qualifiers. I imagine he won't be able to play in the NB qualifiers anymore and has had a bit of luck being able to qualify for the first one through that route.
He only qualified for 2 events all year via the regular qualifiers (plus the Danish event via the main OoM I think) so I don't think there's much of a difference in difficulty for him. Darius qualified for 6 events so he may find it harder in with the main European group, but even so, he'd back himself to make his fair share of events

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:13 pm

Sedlaček qualifies for ET3. Good on him, probably the best of the Czechs, and it's all useful experience for his home event later in the year (which hopefully he'll qualify for!)

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:00 pm

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:10 pm

thegentle wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:00 pm
+1 to you for this too.

PDC Hungarian Fan Club is everywhere.