Your Best and Worst of 2018 (darts)

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
BeppeBergomi

Re: Your Best and Worst of 2018 (darts)

Post by BeppeBergomi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:55 pm

Best moment - Gary winning at Blackpool. However I also enjoyed seeing Gary beating Krusty at the Champions League of Darts too.

Worst moment - The so-called Grand Slam Final. Enough said.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:08 pm

BeppeBergomi wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:55 pm Worst moment - The so-called Grand Slam Final. Enough said.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:11 pm

The best was the Grand Slam of Darts. A brilliant tournament, and the most entertaining and controversial final for some time. The 2018 World Championship I also loved.

The worst has to be the UK Open, with the worst British snow since the December 1962 - March 1963 Big Freeze causing a situation of no crowd, although it was good to see John Part get to the quarter finals.

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:24 pm

I thought Andersons Meltdown in the Grand Slam Final was my highlight lol

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:03 am

Best: Steve West's win against Michael Plooy
Worst: Wattimena's and Kyle Anderson's bottlejobs against Tabern at the same tournament.

HNY!

JeffJeffJeffJeff!!!!

Post by JeffJeffJeffJeff!!!! » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:09 am

I really enjoyed the crowds at the UK Open, showed more respect to the players than the mongpit at venues the rest of the year.

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:15 am

JeffJeffJeffJeff!!!! wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:09 am I really enjoyed the crowds at the UK Open, showed more respect to the players than the mongpit at venues the rest of the year.
But we didn't learn the names of the Toure brothers, or find out exactly how boring the tables are.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:58 am

Enjoyed the Grand Slam final tbf, so much drama! Also enjoyed Ratajski and Aspinall showing up Ando for the baby that he is. UK Open was a laugh, John Part made a major quarter final lol.

I don't particularly dislike Wade, but he won his two events in the most disappointing way possible, just as the door was opening for Hopp and Smith! It was nice to see him back, but it would have been nicer to see them win a TV title!

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:04 pm

Best: Welsh Manlet winning GSOD and making Gando capitulate like a bitch. Icing on the cake: Beppe still seething about it.

Worst: Wade shouting at Asada as they shook officials hands post match. That to me was far more significant than the shout in his face during match. Indication of mania controlling Wadey and not him controlling it as he mentioned in his post match interview he can't turn it off. He looked to be turning his game around and looked pretty controlled of himself in the recent Events he won. Think he just might have undone it all and cost himself a PL spot, again.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:40 pm

Best moments, have to be the Matchplay, Grand Slam and World Series finals, those were just amazing to watch. But you could say so many things, I can't remember half of it. It was a glorious year. De Zwaan's run at the Matchplay, Humphries and Aspinall at Ally Pally, we have plenty to be positive about.

Worst is a bit tougher, probably would say Wade being a prick with Asada, that was heartbreaking to see Asada treated like that, especially seeing how respectful he behaved. The Grand Prix final is right up there though, what a fucking embarassment. Honorable mention goes to Cullen choking against Whitlock in the Euro Champs semi final.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Sensur Muljovic

Post by Sensur Muljovic » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:02 pm

Best: so many players stepping up like ratasjski, price and gurney. Suljovic being good again.. the year not being totally dominated by mvg.

Worst: I actually do miss cadby's presence. I want to see how good he can become but now Im beginning to wonder if his visa issues are ever sorted out. Also I was a bit dissapointed by rob cross. I assumed he would step up after a incredible first year but it was not to be.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:41 pm

2018 world championship was pretty damn good too. Cross beating philth in the final was a great watch.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:14 pm

cannibal wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:41 pm 2018 world championship was pretty damn good too. Cross beating philth in the final was a great watch.
Yes, yes it was. The year peaked after 22 hours then all sharply downhill as usual.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:17 pm

The Thorn wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:40 pmHonorable mention goes to Cullen choking against Whitlock in the Euro Champs semi final.
And Hopp against Wade in the other semi so we ended up with a Wade-Whitlock final about 35 years too late.
not a girl

JH01

Post by JH01 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:56 pm

Best:
Part's UK Open run - fav player, great seeing him win matches
Grand Slam Final - Price is a twat but he's great to watch
Anderson's Matchplay title - best major win I've ever seen, every game he played was fantastic
De Zwann's 2 victories over MVG on TV

Worst:
Grand Prix Final - watched it but hardly remember it
The continued existance of the Masters, Champions League and Word Series Finals - Utterly pointless tournaments. Not majors. I'd scrap them tomorrow
Ryan Searle - Had backed a Gary v Mensur final, and this lazy greaseball cheat turns up and beats Suljovic at the first hurdle. Not only that, but looking at him made me nauseous. Shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a professional darts competition, same goes for the other cheat, van de Pas.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:00 pm

What did Benito do?

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:15 pm

JH01 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:56 pm Best:
Anderson's Matchplay title - best major win I've ever seen, every game he played was fantastic

Worst:
The continued existance of the Masters, Champions League and Word Series Finals - Utterly pointless tournaments. Not majors. I'd scrap them tomorrow
Ryan Searle - Had backed a Gary v Mensur final, and this lazy greaseball cheat turns up and beats Suljovic at the first hurdle. Not only that, but looking at him made me nauseous. Shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a professional darts competition, same goes for the other cheat, van de Pas.
Apparently Searle has really bad eyesight, and the ref called it, so I don't really blame him for that. Masters is very much a nothing event, although it's the first TV event on the calendar so it's got that going for it at least. I enjoy the World Series (both the finals and the circuit events), mainly for the international players in the earlier rounds that you don't get to see all the time, but if it's the usual suspects I kind of lose interest. Was quite interesting this year I will say. Champions League is probably the most pointless of the lot, but hey, Mensur won it so it's automatically a major in my eyes. Welcome to the forum!

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:29 pm

Randall wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:00 pm What did Benito do?
From a few years back:

To answer the thread question:

Best: Matchplay final, Grand Slam final, Aspinall v Smith at the Worlds, JdZ humping MvG twice as well as West and Gurney
Worst: the entirety of the World Grand Prix (probably one of the worst PDC tournaments I've seen), Mansell v Long at the Worlds, DurrantgoingtoQ-Schoolgate (otherwise known as the 2018 BDO Worlds)
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

JH01

Post by JH01 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:03 am

thegentle wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Worst:
Apparently Searle has really bad eyesight, and the ref called it, so I don't really blame him for that. Masters is very much a nothing event, although it's the first TV event on the calendar so it's got that going for it at least. I enjoy the World Series (both the finals and the circuit events), mainly for the international players in the earlier rounds that you don't get to see all the time, but if it's the usual suspects I kind of lose interest. Was quite interesting this year I will say. Champions League is probably the most pointless of the lot, but hey, Mensur won it so it's automatically a major in my eyes. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you!

When I saw the footage of Searle at the World Masters it looked to me he couldn't get to the board quick enough to retrieve the missed dart. I haven't heard that about him having poor eyesight, although since you mention it I can now kind of remember him asking the ref if the dart was in on more than one occasion at the worlds. So maybe he didn't I don't know. Doesn't mean I like him though. And if he did cheat, it doesn't matter if it's at Ally Pally, the World Masters or down the pub, it's still cheating.

I do like the individual World Series events when I can catch them but the finals, which I haven't seen for the last couple of years, are a bit of a farce. Isn't only 24 players, half of them or whatever are wildcards who haven't even played in any World Series events?

And I love Mensur just as much as the next bloke, but the Champions League is still a waste of time.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:35 am

JH01 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:03 am
thegentle wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:15 pm

Worst:
Thank you!

When I saw the footage of Searle at the World Masters it looked to me he couldn't get to the board quick enough to retrieve the missed dart. I haven't heard that about him having poor eyesight, although since you mention it I can now kind of remember him asking the ref if the dart was in on more than one occasion at the worlds. So maybe he didn't I don't know. Doesn't mean I like him though. And if he did cheat, it doesn't matter if it's at Ally Pally, the World Masters or down the pub, it's still cheating.

I do like the individual World Series events when I can catch them but the finals, which I haven't seen for the last couple of years, are a bit of a farce. Isn't only 24 players, half of them or whatever are wildcards who haven't even played in any World Series events?

And I love Mensur just as much as the next bloke, but the Champions League is still a waste of time.
This year they actually invited players from the World Series OoM to the finals so there were mainly players who played the events. A great chance for some international players to play in a big TV event in the UK.

I don't mind the Champions League, it's not too long so it doesn't get boring and it's top quality at least. The event itself is pointless for sure but it being on BBC makes it crucial. In time I hope the PDC might expand it to a ranking event or has another ranking event on the BBC but let us not be too insatiable.

The Masters needs quick reforming or binning though. I don't remember anything from the last 2-3 editions. I don't even know if I watched them at all honestly, remember only a couple first round games and they were crap as well.
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE