My Blog, sponsored by Bob Ross.

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
cannibal

Re: My Blog, more viewers than bdo darts gets, not sponsored

Post by cannibal » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:26 am

You was not wrong lol. Now stop posting those pictures of cow botherer, that's giving me nightmares. Thinking of that whole BDO travel club in Turkey with swimsuits around the pool, on the boat rides etc... Won't be able to close my eyes for fear of night terrors.
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:55 am

KOTW was there for the taking by Bo Selectas Boy Toy. But seems as if JC being the benevolent Fenian that he is decided to spread the award around a bit. A well deserved moaning blind from diabetes with no feeling in his extremities and just about ready for an insulin pump lazy fat ass Barney swoops in to take this weeks honors.
We Desire Information.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:26 am

The usual attention whores on fanatics have claimed they were given proof of Lakeshite happening, except these attention whores are lying, why would they know and the players not ?
Fucking hell, a flock of Big Worms?
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

BeppeBergomi

Post by BeppeBergomi » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:50 am

JC is right on Barney this time. And I'm really sorry to say this.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:56 am

Seemed a little bit tame this week.
Not that I read it.

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:58 am

sennafan24 wrote:
The usual attention whores on fanatics have claimed they were given proof of Lakeshite happening, except these attention whores are lying, why would they know and the players not ?
Fucking hell, a flock of Big Worms?
It would be a clew of big worms. To get rid of a clew of worms you need a murder of crows.
We Desire Information.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:51 am

Oh dear.

Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:15 am

Well done for valuing our product at zero.
Dressing this up as a good idea is yet another new low and god knows there have been plenty.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:21 am

Randall wrote:Well done for valuing our product at zero.
Dressing this up as a good idea is yet another new low and god knows there have been plenty.
Maybe I am being a bit thick.

But what is this in reference to?

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:41 am

The 11 or whatever Players champs weekends the PDC put on each year should be scrapped and the PDC should create 10 extra Euro tours to replace them.
A player champs weekend pays out 10k twice in a weekend, so a Euro tour would not be much more expensive, and factor in you would have crowds so they could sell tickets to recoup money. The PDC are losing money on floor championships held in a sterile atmosphere with no crowds.
They could hold the extra Euro Tours throughout the UK, to go alongside the ones held in Germany, Austria, Holland, etc.
The floor champs simply is not working, its not producing TV players, even this shitty glorified exbo the World series is better at finding some players. Something needs to change with floor champs.
Bit extreme that.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:00 am

More Euro Tour events would mean more floor qualifiers for them, so it's not like those additional stage tournaments would help the development of guys like Van den Bergh who don't manage to qualify much for them to begin with.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:12 am

Sure if you can involve all 128 players in a Euro Tour style event. Going to qualifiers all the time is harsh on the card holders because the seeds get in every time.

And if you make everything unseeded, not sure you would really get the type of product you need. Aspinall, Searle, Mansell ir Scott Taylor were great to see in a pro tour final but if you saw these kind of guys in the latter stages of ET events all the time, I doubt that would be as nice.

Bottom line, there is a damn good reason for the PC events being radically different than the TV/ET events. Both in length/format and players involved. And I you can't magically change that with just saying "every event should be played on stage"
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:13 pm

sennafan24 wrote:

Giving away free tickets for lakeshite

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:15 pm

The Thorn wrote:Sure if you can involve all 128 players in a Euro Tour style event. Going to qualifiers all the time is harsh on the card holders because the seeds get in every time.

And if you make everything unseeded, not sure you would really get the type of product you need. Aspinall, Searle, Mansell ir Scott Taylor were great to see in a pro tour final but if you saw these kind of guys in the latter stages of ET events all the time, I doubt that would be as nice.

Bottom line, there is a damn good reason for the PC events being radically different than the TV/ET events. Both in length/format and players involved. And I you can't magically change that with just saying "every event should be played on stage"
Yeah, for logistical reasons a tour consisting just of stage tournaments would arguably only work if they dug up the old plans for a 64-player "elite" tour again, with #65 and below getting shunted off to an improved Challenge Tour. Personally I think that would get stale pretty quickly.
Last edited by Zeyes on Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:15 pm

Randall wrote:
sennafan24 wrote:

Got yours yet ?

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Mabbsy wrote:
Randall wrote:
sennafan24 wrote:

Got yours yet ?
I have some standards.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Mabbsy wrote:
Randall wrote:Giving away free tickets for lakeshite
Got yours yet ?
He's still deciding which county he wants to get billed for the ticket when he doesn't turn up. :)

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:35 pm

JC in regards to the PC issue; is a man with a band aid looking for a wound. I don't think there is a problem and I don't think the PCs are there to solely develop stage players. I see the PCs as a sorting mechanism to find potential talent and develop as its primary goals. ETs are the stage player developing tool as JC argues. But even then your just going to have some players who find their stage legs and some never will and some will be inconsistent. It is the nature of sport and even more so darts as I think it is a sport that historically lends itself to a very small handful of players that dominate for brief spats. Ok, once in a great while you get a player who does a Phil and runs the table for decades. On stage the gap between the top 4 or so players is pretty big in standard and even bigger gap in terms of consistency and results. But I would argue that has always been the case in darts.

Developing talent or finding talent is always a bit of a crap shoot. Taken by itself it is a money loser in every sport, but in the context of the league or top tier team, its return on investment looks much better. And so it is with darts.

I think we have had more young players taking the stage in recent years than say 7 or 8 years ago because more opportunities and larger influx of young players coming in. So it is a matter of seeing a larger number of young players flattering to deceive with their one off great matches or runs in an event. But it isn't a problem it is a sign of the sport going forward and bringing in younger players than in the earlier days of the PDC. I can remember when it seemed that only Lewis and Wade where the only young guys worth a shit in the PDC and I would argue their early results in performances where in part playing a much weaker field of talent than we see now. Also I think those 2 were a bit of an anomaly as they where younger players that had a knack for the stage early on in their careers. Still Wade took 3 years or so before he hit his stride and won some big events. Lewis took a little less time to be serious threat than Wade but took him much longer to win his first major. Again all in a lesser field of talent than the youngsters of today are facing.

Eventually the Pro Tour is going to be split between a top tier and second. Not convinced this is a good idea at this moment but it will all depend on the way it is done. The PCs provide the average pro tour player the frequent opportunity to be playing quality talent and this is the key to developing players imho. Take that away and not convinced the PCs will be the effective tool for sorting and development that it is now. They will just become another challenge tour and how many of the players coming off the challenge tour into the Pro Tour are doing much?
We Desire Information.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:51 pm

cannibal wrote:Eventually the Pro Tour is going to be split between a top tier and second. Not convinced this is a good idea at this moment but it will all depend on the way it is done. The PCs provide the average pro tour player the frequent opportunity to be playing quality talent and this is the key to developing players imho. Take that away and not convinced the PCs will be the effective tool for sorting and development that it is now. They will just become another challenge tour and how many of the players coming off the challenge tour into the Pro Tour are doing much?
I think the development success rate of the Challenge Tour is gonna improve, now that the Players Championship fill-ins are being chosen from the CT order of merit. The players who have shown the most promise on the CT are now immediately getting tested at the Pro Tour level, rather than only one year later (or never at all, if they don't win a tour card).

The PDC still really needs to come to their senses though and start awarding more tour cards directly through the Challenge Tour. That's the second step that's needed to turn the CT into an actual pathway to the Pro Tour, not just some place where players are forced to bide their time until the next Q School.

But yeah, I agree that the vital part is "players getting to play better opponents frequently". That's true both for CT players as well as for lower-level Pro Tour players. Playing only amongst themselves promotes stagnation, which is why I'm not a fan of the idea of splitting off the top 64 (or however many) altogether, even if it would be done to establish a potentially lucrative stage tournament tour.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:36 pm

To expand some more on the whole "mixing better players with worse to make the worse ones better" topic - the Dev Tour pretty much has it right. It's intended as a secondary tour, but thanks to the age limit setup you get a bunch of stronger players, i.e. tour card level, to show up as well.

That's harder to replicate at the senior level where you normally expect players to be sorted into completely separate tiers. There's some overlap now with the top CT players getting Players Championship spots as mentioned, but could it be expanded further? One thing that comes to mind (but it might be a totally half-baked idea): Allow first-year tour card holders to also play the Challenge Tour?