Darts articles in the Media thread

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
cannibal

Re: Darts articles in the Media thread

Post by cannibal » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:17 am

Mc NoLoyalty getting in line for a slap
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sports/news/d ... ar-BBObrz1
We Do Not Desire Tributes.
We Desire Information.
We Seek The Worm Drink Who Has Lately Betrayed His Nation

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:27 am

Questions whether it's worth doing the tour then goes on to big himself up about something of absolute zero importance.

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:33 pm

cannibal wrote:Mc NoLoyalty getting in line for a slap
A funny bit here:
Montgomery is hoping to make his 12th appearance at the World Championships, where he reached the quarter-finals in 2015, and he added: "It's now October and the new season (for points towards the 2020 World Championships) has begun. Is it worth travelling the circuit for points towards that? Who knows?"
If you have to ask, then of course it isn't worth it.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Fiss Plaps wrote:
cannibal wrote:Mc NoLoyalty getting in line for a slap
A funny bit here:
Mcnoloyalty is hoping to make his 12th appearance at the World Championships, where he reached the quarter-finals in 2015, and he added: "It's now October and the new season (for points towards the 2020 World Championships) has begun. Is it worth travelling the circuit for points towards that? Who knows?"
If you have to ask, then of course it isn't worth it.
He'll do the ''tour'' anyway, they all do and they all have a good time in the process.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:23 pm

January is a long way off surely.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Consider Burnett to be Q-Schooling...

Darts, drugs and desperation: The resurgence of a Welsh sporting icon who lost everything
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/dar ... h-15272760

---
"My world came tumbling down when I got caught taking cocaine, and the aftermath of that was a ban," he said.

"I would have been a top-16 player but for that ban. (hm)

"I just had to grin and bear it for those years and I had some help, but at the end of the day it was down to me."
---

"They were really tough times. I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel," admitted the 51-year-old.

"It cost me a hell of a lot of money. I would have been alright for life by now.

"But hey, things happen, you live by it, and I've got no excuses. It was my fault. The rules are the rules and I had to abide by it."
---

"I've come back and I've got a lot to prove," he added.

"I just want to earn a good living and be happy because for the last few years I've been in a dark place.

"How I got through it I don't know. But one thing I do know about myself is that I'm a survivor, and now it's time for the serious stuff.

"The players are turning up professionally motivated now.

"They don't drink much either. When we used to finish a tournament we used to go straight to the pub back in the day.

"Now they'll go back to a hotel room to sleep all night, it's totally different now.

"Practice wasn't for me in them days, but now you have to do it, that's changed.

"The money has escalated. Barry Hearn has done a fantastic job to bring darts forward. And everyone wants some of that money."
--

"I was still playing really well when I came back, I just wasn't getting luck with injuries and things like that," admitted the former world No.1.

"I realised I couldn't see, then my knee gave way. I competed through that.

"There was a lump on the back of my knee and I could hardly practice.

"The real problem was my eye. I've been throwing for the last seven or eight years with one eye.

"But since getting that all sorted I feel fine.

"All I can do now is gain confidence. The next couple of months are going to be crucial for my progression. But I'm ready for it.

"Once something sparks in my head I'll move forward. Until I have a good break I'll still struggle until my confidence gets there.

"But I've got no excuses now. I'm fit and ready to go."
---
not a girl

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:14 pm

Rogg wrote:"I would have been a top-16 player but for that ban. (hm)
Yeah, no.

StevieBoy

Post by StevieBoy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:08 pm

"The real problem was my eye. I've been throwing for the last seven or eight years with one eye.

Poor Old Jamie Caven! lol

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:09 pm

Zeyes wrote:
Yeah, no.

He was ranked like 26 when he got the ban or pulled out of the PDC, he was over 70K out of 16th place. He did get to the qrtrs of the WGP in 2014. Wasn't a serious threat in the majors, played a good match here and there but never put a string together to be threat. He didn't even consistently qualify for the majors in the few years running up to his ban.
We Desire Information.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:42 am

cannibal wrote:
Zeyes wrote:
Yeah, no.

He was ranked like 26 when he got the ban or pulled out of the PDC, he was over 70K out of 16th place. He did get to the qrtrs of the WGP in 2014. Wasn't a serious threat in the majors, played a good match here and there but never put a string together to be threat. He didn't even consistently qualify for the majors in the few years running up to his ban.
Yep at the time of his ban, he was already on the slide again. The Top 16... was a long way off.

His most notable achievement during his comeback was some years before the ban, making the semi-finals of the Grand Prix in 2011, losing to Taylor on the night when Dolan hit a 9-darter (you may have heard about THAT).
not a girl

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Rogg wrote:
cannibal wrote:
Zeyes wrote:
Yeah, no.

Yep at the time of his ban, he was already on the slide again. The Top 16... was a long way off.

His most notable achievement during his comeback was some years before the ban, making the semi-finals of the Grand Prix in 2011, losing to Taylor on the night when Dolan hit a 9-darter (you may have heard about THAT).
That must have been when "history was made" and the idea of the flannel was first born

shy witness

Post by shy witness » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:46 pm

StevieBoy wrote:" I've been throwing for the last seven or eight years with one eye.

Poor Old Jamie Cave-in! lol

only good eye's the one he shites out of...........and thats likely questionable

Tommo

Post by Tommo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:46 pm

The drugs have addled his brain, he must think he's still in the BDO.
They're all here!

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Awesome foursome re-sign up for MDA
https://www.mdapromotions.co.uk/awesome ... p-for-mda/
MDA Promotions boss Matthew Ward believes his awesome foursome top oche stars can go up “another level” in world darts.

Daryl Gurney, James Wilson, Benito van de Pas and Jamie Hughes all extended their contracts for two years with the management firm this week.

---

“For me, Jamie is the best player in the world outside the PDC tour card. When he produces he can beat anyone in the world. We are delighted to have him in the MDA stable and I know he will be a massive success.”
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:16 pm

Menzies ready to give up plumbing to pursue darting pipe dream
https://www.live-darts.com/category/dar ... -20181024/
"I've got a huge weekend coming up in Peterborough next month for the PDC Challenge Tour," Menzies told Live Darts.

"The top two in the rankings get tour cards for two years. I'm currently second and if I have a good weekend in four events and stay second, I'm through.

"However there's so many guys who can still steal my spot so it won’t be easy. I need to have a really good few results."

"That would be massive for me," he added. "To get a Tour Card could change my life overnight.

"I'd then have to seriously look at going full-time because there’s so many Players and European Championships on the PDC circuit, almost every weekend."

"It would mean thinking about leaving the comfort zone of my plumbing job with ESS Electrics in East Kilbride. They've been brilliant to me, the bosses Gordon and John have allowed me time off to pursue my darts dream already.

"But it's pretty scary to think about going professional with darts. It's my dream and I want to do it but I have to keep pinching myself that it could actually happen.

"I'll worry about that after the Challenge Tour in Peterborough. I’m not getting ahead of myself. If I don’t make it, I’ll be back at Q School in January to get my Tour Card."

"I've done OK this year. I've not set the world on fire but I’ve been fairly consistent and that’s got me this far. One more weekend and it can go down as a good year."
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:17 pm

Fingers crossed. Love to see more of the crazy bastard.

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:56 pm

Likewise, brings a lot of enthusiasm to the game
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Father Rout wrote:Likewise, brings a lot of enthusiasm to the game
He is as mad as a box of frogs but very entertaining. He lives every dart he throws. Fingers crossed for him

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:11 am

A little read about the new venue for the Grand Slam:

https://www.expressandstar.com/entertai ... qus_thread
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

cannibal

Post by cannibal » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:03 pm

BDO players obviously not having enough impact on the ticket sales.
https://www.expressandstar.com/news/loc ... hall-move/
We Desire Information.