PDC Grand Sham of Darts 2018, Nov 10-18

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

PDC Grand Sham of Darts 2018, Nov 10-18

Post by Rogg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:13 pm

Currently:

2017/18 PDC World Champion; ROB CROSS - 1
2017 Grand Slam Champion; MICHAEL VAN GERWEN - 2
2018 Premier League Champion; (Michael van Gerwen)
2018 World Matchplay Champion; GARY ANDERSON - 3
2018 World Grand Prix Champion;
2017 World Youth Champion; DIMITRI VAN DEN BERGH - 4
2018 Masters Champion; (Michael van Gerwen)
2018 UK Open Champion; (Gary Anderson)
2018 European Champion;
2017 Players Champion; (Michael van Gerwen)
2018 Champions League Champion;
2018 World Series of Darts Finals Champion;
2018 World Cup winners; (Michael van Gerwen) & RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD - 5
2017/18 PDC World Championship runner-up; (Phil Taylor)
2017 Grand Slam runner-up; PETER WRIGHT - 6
2018 Premier League runner-up; MICHAEL SMITH - 7
2018 World Matchplay runner-up; MENSUR SULJOVIC - 8
2018 World Grand Prix runner-up;
2017 World Youth Championship runner-up; JOSH PAYNE - 9
2018 Masters runner-up; (Raymond van Barneveld)
2018 UK Open runner-up; COREY CADBY - 10
2018 European Championship runner-up;
2017 Players Championship runner-up; JONNY CLAYTON - 11
2018 Champions League runner-up;
2018 World Series of Darts Finals runner-up;
2018 World Cup runners-up (2 players with highest individual taking preference if only one spot available) (Peter Wright & Gary Anderson)

This list can produce a maximum of 28 players. If it produces more than 16 players, they shall be taken in order as listed above and no further players shall qualify automatically.

----------
If it produces fewer than 16 places then additional places shall be filled from the reserve list in the following order:

2018 European Tour winners (in Order of Merit order at Nov 5) (Michael van Gerwen), (Mensur Suljovic), (Jonny Clayton), IAN WHITE - 12, GERWYN PRICE - 13, MAX HOPP - 14

2018 Players Championship winners (in Order of Merit order at Nov 5) (Michael van Gerwen), (Peter Wright), (Rob Cross) (Gary Anderson), (Michael Smith), (Ian White), (Gerwyn Price), MERVYN KING - 15, JEFFREY DE ZWAAN - 16, (Josh Payne), MICKEY MANSELL, NATHAN ASPINALL

2018 UK Open Qualifier winners (in Order of Merit order at Nov 5) (Michael van Gerwen), (Gary Anderson) (Michael Smith), (Corey Cadby), KRZYSZTOF RATAJSKI

Players shall be separated within the reserve list first by the number of Events in each category they have won and then by their position in the PDC main Order of Merit on the cut-off date.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Re: PDC Grand Sham of Darts 2018, Nov 10-18

Post by Randall » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:23 pm

Little chance cadby will play.
Could be a rare sighting of Dimitri as well :(

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:31 pm

Proper darts players currently (I assume).

1 Durrant

2 McGeeney
3 Williams
4 Mitchell
5 Harms
6 Unterbuchner
7 Big Throbbo
8 Waites
---
Parletti
Warren
Mandigers
Landman
FcLoyalty
Day
Baker
Phillips

...if the Masters has a strange winner(!) they'll presumably get in at the expense of the 8th spot.
not a girl

M H
Site Admin

Post by M H » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:33 pm

Randall wrote:Little chance cadby will play.
Could be a rare sighting of Dimitri as well :(
Will also be a rare sighting of the lesser spotted professional BDO star
When you actually feel anger over a place like this it's time to get a life

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:37 pm

I don't get how they order the events into a priority list. Premier League above the Matchplay? I know they ADORE the PL but still. The Masters seems bizarrely high.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:39 pm

Rogg wrote:Proper darts players currently (I assume).

1 Durrant

2 McGeeney
3 Williams
4 Mitchell
5 Harms
6 Unterbuchner
7 Big Throbbo
8 Waites
---
Parletti
Warren
Mandigers
Landman
FcLoyalty
Day
Baker
Phillips

...if the Masters has a strange winner(!) they'll presumably get in at the expense of the 8th spot.
Harms and big jobbo.
Good god.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Randall wrote: Harms and big jobbo.
Good god.
+1. Also the mad farmer back for a fourth attempt at getting through the group stage. Unterbuchner would cheer things up though, hopefully he makes it.

Look at the players just below the line... and some say this event should be 50/50, ffffffffffffuck that.
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote: Harms and big jobbo.
Good god.
+1. Also the mad farmer back for a fourth attempt at getting through the group stage. Unterbuchner would cheer things up though, hopefully he makes it.

Look at the players just below the line... and some say this event should be 50/50, ffffffffffffuck that.
Bleak as absolute fuck.
That's before you ram in the shit from the odd floor qualifier, so Jones, pipe tabern.
Just fuck off with it.

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:34 pm

3 times UK Open participant Parletti with last 96 as best result hopefully will be there too.

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Greipel wrote:3 times UK Open participant Parletti with last 96 as best result hopefully will be there too.
Why do you have such a hard-on for him? Serious question.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:37 pm

The Ginge Reaper wrote:
Greipel wrote:3 times UK Open participant Parletti with last 96 as best result hopefully will be there too.
Irony?

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Rogg wrote:I don't get how they order the events into a priority list. Premier League above the Matchplay? I know they ADORE the PL but still. The Masters seems bizarrely high.
Non-ranking events above ranking events are rather awkward when it's qualification for a ranked event, as is the exclusion of the televised World Series events in the reserves list but that point's just nitpicking.

On a related note, hopefully someone higher up the OoM wins a Players Championship event otherwise "hello, Mickey Mansell" at Wolverhampton :?
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:52 pm

Fiss Plaps wrote:
Rogg wrote:I don't get how they order the events into a priority list. Premier League above the Matchplay? I know they ADORE the PL but still. The Masters seems bizarrely high.
Non-ranking events above ranking events are rather awkward when it's qualification for a ranked event, as is the exclusion of the televised World Series events in the reserves list but that point's just nitpicking.

On a related note, hopefully someone higher up the OoM wins a Players Championship event otherwise "hello, Mickey Mansell" at Wolverhampton :?
Hope so but in fairness Mansell won an event so deserves to be in. Fuck the floor qualifiers
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Greipel wrote:
The Ginge Reaper wrote:
I'm only pretending to like him
Ah ok.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:03 pm

The Thorn wrote:
Fiss Plaps wrote:

Hope so but in fairness Mansell won an event so deserves to be in. Fuck the floor qualifiers
That's true.

I wish they'd scrap that floor qualifier. On the whole you just get shit players.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:04 pm

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:Proper darts players currently (I assume).

1 Durrant

2 McGeeney
3 Williams
4 Mitchell
5 Harms
6 Unterbuchner
7 Big Throbbo
8 Waites
---
Parletti
Warren
Mandigers
Landman
FcLoyalty
Day
Baker
Phillips

Harms and big jobbo.
Good god.
Last year was hilarious:

- Oche wanted the board changed during Wright vs Durrant because Durrant was getting a kicking.

- Montgomery was "unlucky" to lose 5-2 to Cross, while averaging 87 to Cross's 105.

- Cow-Fucker made a right mess of things against Bunting.
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:09 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:05 pm Dulla has never faced anything like Taylor in top gear.
Maybe he could have dragged Taylor down, we will never know.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:10 pm

Fiss Plaps wrote:
The Thorn wrote:
Fiss Plaps wrote:

That's true.

I wish they'd scrap that floor qualifier. On the whole you just get shit players.
Isn't the floor qualifier there so that it can become a ranking event?
It wasn't a ranking event until 2015 but I cannot remember if they had qualifiers before that

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:12 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:
Fiss Plaps wrote:
The Thorn wrote:
Fiss Plaps wrote:

That's true.

Isn't the floor qualifier there so that it can become a ranking event?
It wasn't a ranking event until 2015 but I cannot remember if they had qualifiers before that
There was a qualifier before then to fill the field, but the number of players who qualified through that changed every year.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:47 pm

Although I never understood what the floor qualifier has to do with justifying its ranking status. All tour card holders have 40+ opportunities to win a Pro Tour event in a season. Yes, it's difficult, but it's a perfectly fair and open qualifying procedure. Worse, getting into the GSOD on the back of winning three or four games at the qualifier makes a total mockery of how hard it is to qualify the regular way. And then's before we even consider that some of these regular qualifiers get bumped off in favour of giving spots to the floor qualifying.

Let's be honest, creating the 8-player GSOD qualifier was likely only about adding some value to the tour card on the cheap. Lots of value has been added to it in other ways since then (the entry fee abolition, primarily), so there's zero reason to persist with the qualifier now, other than to truly fill out the last couple of open spots after all the ranking title winners have got in.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:07 pm

Zeyes wrote:Although I never understood what the floor qualifier has to do with justifying its ranking status. All tour card holders have 40+ opportunities to win a Pro Tour event in a season. Yes, it's difficult, but it's a perfectly fair and open qualifying procedure. Worse, getting into the GSOD on the back of winning three or four games at the qualifier makes a total mockery of how hard it is to qualify the regular way. And then's before we even consider that some of these regular qualifiers get bumped off in favour of giving spots to the floor qualifying.

Let's be honest, creating the 8-player GSOD qualifier was likely only about adding some value to the tour card on the cheap. Lots of value has been added to it in other ways since then (the entry fee abolition, primarily), so there's zero reason to persist with the qualifier now, other than to truly fill out the last couple of open spots after all the ranking title winners have got in.
Hopefully the likes of Ron the Bomb, Noppie, Ratty can get through and not Dolan, Tabern and shite etc but there is bound to be a few cloggers in there...
Feel sorry for the likes of aspinall if he doesn't make the 16 after winning a PC event and Ratty too as he would have been there if not for switching
Last edited by tungsten tossers on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.