Tour Card Race for 2019

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Tour Card Race for 2019

Post by Rogg » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:35 pm

Top 64 retain a card.

Nothing much outside it that's worth saving anyway. Devon and Rowby-Jane maybe but they're just not very good currently.

Caven and Jenkins have held a tour card since 2011. Gilding since 2012. Old-timers facing the chop.

Burton DeWitt @bsd987 Sep 2
Here's what the post-Ally Pally Order of Merit looks like. Probably needing a bit over £50,000 to retain your Tour Card. Gerwyn Price provisionally will end the season in the Top 10.

not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Re: Tour Card Race for 2019

Post by Randall » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Can't recall price winning a game of late!

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:44 pm

Rogg wrote:Cave-in and Jenkins have held a tour card since 2011. Gilding since 2012. Old-timers facing the chop.
Part and Baxter are also ever-present tour card holders, although (unlike Caven and Jenkins) they've already had to regain their cards at QS once (two years ago).

Painter could be in trouble for the first time as well if he doesn't make the worlds.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:46 pm

Kong in trouble, good.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:15 pm

Happily Baxter must be in the unpublished 4th column.

They should all buy a house together in Wigan. Although Part could do the Euro Q-School this time unless the rules change (surely not!)
not a girl

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:17 pm

Thought lord Ronald had packed it in?

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:20 pm

Randall wrote:Thought lord Ronald had packed it in?
Looks like he has. But he still holds a tour card, the wastrel.
not a girl

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Rogg wrote:Top 64 retain a card.

Nothing much outside it that's worth saving anyway. Devon and Rowby-Jane maybe but they're just not very good currently.

Cave-in and Jenkins have held a tour card since 2011. Gilding since 2012. Old-timers facing the chop.

Here's what the post-Ally Pally Order of Merit looks like. Probably needing a bit over £50,000 to retain your Tour Card. Gerwyn Price provisionally will end the season in the Top 10.

Rowby John has fallen a fair bit from where he was not so long ago, but at least he's doing well on the Development Tour. I don't know exactly what the rules are regarding tour cards from the dev tour (maybe Barry doesn't even know yet lol), but I will say that I'd much rather have more cards being given out from year-long tours like that, the CT and the regional circuits than a single weekend at Q-School. No disrespect to Eddie Dootson, but would he get a tour card if he played on any of the secondary or regional circuits?

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:23 pm

Rogg wrote:
Had a few highlights.

Could have won the matchplay, battered Taylor there one year. Had Barney stone dead at ally pallet one year.
Very much a nearly man

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:27 pm

Looks like Ratajski will finally get one, though I won't quite count my chickens yet after what happened last year lol. He's probably just a single performance away from securing it (certainly if he wins his 1st round game at Ally Pally), though there are plenty of games he perhaps should have won but just hasn't been able to get over the line in

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Zeyes wrote:
Rogg wrote:Cave-in and Jenkins have held a tour card since 2011. Gilding since 2012. Old-timers facing the chop.
Part and Baxter are also ever-present tour card holders, although (unlike Cave-in and Jenkins) they've already had to regain their cards at QS once (two years ago).

Painter could be in trouble for the first time as well if he doesn't make the worlds.
Agreed..I think he will be gone if he doesn't make the worlds but my gut feeling is that he will hang on for one more year.. Also Jacques and Ronnie Hybrechts to fall out next year with fingers crossed that Dolan and mansell struggle too

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:35 pm

Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:
Had a few highlights.

Could have won the matchplay, battered Taylor there one year. Had Barney stone dead at ally pallet one year.
Very much a nearly man
Oh I was a fan back in the day. A most characterful career.
not a girl

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:43 pm

thegentle wrote:
Rogg wrote:Top 64 retain a card.

Cave-in and Jenkins have held a tour card since 2011. Gilding since 2012. Old-timers facing the chop.

Rowby John has fallen a fair bit from where he was not so long ago, but at least he's doing well on the Development Tour. I don't know exactly what the rules are regarding tour cards from the dev tour (maybe Barry doesn't even know yet lol), but I will say that I'd much rather have more cards being given out from year-long tours like that, the CT and the regional circuits than a single weekend at Q-School. No disrespect to Eddie Dootson, but would he get a tour card if he played on any of the secondary or regional circuits?
I think QS would be better if held over two weekends.. more games and a better chance to see who is more consistent. Not sure about the automatic card for each event winner either as the draw can be very kind/ unkind. Countback is unfairly weighted to the latter events.. A bit of tweaking would make it slightly better I think.. maybe if more CT events are held next year, the top 4 or 5 could get tour cards automatically as a reward for their consistency over the year. Also, players could have to play minimum amount of events so the likes of royden lam and John Norman don't get to keep their card if they don't play the events

Fiss Plaps

Post by Fiss Plaps » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:48 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:A bit of tweaking would make it slightly better I think.. maybe if more CT events are held next year, the top 4 or 5 could get tour cards automatically as a reward for their consistency over the year. Also, players could have to play minimum amount of events so the likes of royden lam and John Norman don't get to keep their card if they don't play the events
These both need to happen.

I understand their geographical awkwardness but Lam and Norman have wasted their Tour Cards (same with Maik Langendorf). Royden might get something at Ally Pally through the Asian Tour but it won't be anywhere near enough to retain his TC.
2020 World Grand Prix Lucky Dip winner!
2x 2019 Q-School Lucky Dip winner!

Both as valuable as the Lakeside piss pot!

Greipel

Post by Greipel » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Randall wrote:Kong in trouble, good.

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:59 pm

tungsten tossers wrote:I think QS would be better if held over two weekends.. more games and a better chance to see who is more consistent.
IMHO, Q School is getting to the point where it needs to be played in two stages. The large number of no-hopers in the field means that there are just too many meaningless games and at the same time too much luck of the draw. I'd be in favour of letting the small fry fight it out for one weekend in early December, let's say for 64 spots (4 tournaments, last 16 of each qualify), who then join the "real" Q School in January. All players proven to be reasonably competent (recent tour card holders, high finishers of the CT and DT and regional tours, players who did well on the Pro Tour without tour cards) to get exempted directly into the January QS.

Would lead to a Q School proper with maybe 200-250 players, rather than the 600+ we saw this year across the two sites. In addition, paring down the field like that could allow them to play more tournaments in the same four days, so your objective would be fulfilled, too.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:20 pm

Is early December free on the bdo calendar?

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:22 pm

The Finder Masters is in the way, but to be fair, I'd exempt the high-ranked BDO players into the second stage of Q School as well, as long as the BDO circuit is still a thing anyway.

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Zeyes wrote:
tungsten tossers wrote:I think QS would be better if held over two weekends.. more games and a better chance to see who is more consistent.
IMHO, Q School is getting to the point where it needs to be played in two stages. The large number of no-hopers in the field means that there are just too many meaningless games and at the same time too much luck of the draw. I'd be in favour of letting the small fry fight it out for one weekend in early December, let's say for 64 spots (4 tournaments, last 16 of each qualify), who then join the "real" Q School in January. All players proven to be reasonably competent (recent tour card holders, high finishers of the CT and DT and regional tours, players who did well on the Pro Tour without tour cards) to get exempted directly into the January QS.

Would lead to a Q School proper with maybe 200-250 players, rather than the 600+ we saw this year across the two sites. In addition, paring down the field like that could allow them to play more tournaments in the same four days, so your objective would be fulfilled, too.

Good shout.. a prelim Q School could work..
Lets face it there were a lot of players that didn't win a game this year and those would be eliminated at prelim.. There were 183 players that ended up with zero points in the Uk QS alone..and another 70 that only got 1 point..
There were 453 entrants for the UK so if it gets much bigger it will become unworkable anyway.
I am sure something must be in the pipeline as it could be a logistical nightmare
Last edited by tungsten tossers on Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mabbsy

Post by Mabbsy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:32 pm

Rogg wrote:
Randall wrote:
Rogg wrote:
Had a few highlights.

Very much a nearly man
Oh I was a fan back in the day. A most characterful career.
Once a fan, always a fan, Lord Ronald will forever be in our thoughts :D