Where do you rank MVG now on the all time greatest list?

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO

Where do you rank MVG now on the all time greatest dartsplayers list?

Top 3
56%
Top 5
34%
Top 10
1%
Outside the top 10
8%

Total votes: 71

phil the great

Re: Where do you rank MVG now on the all time greatest list?

Post by phil the great » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:40 pm

dartvader wrote:I'd put MvG ahead of Barney, Barney has never truly dominated the game save for 6 months nearly a decade ago. MvG is the third player in the game's professional history to dominate an era. Taylor's dominance was obviously freakish in terms of how long it lasted but MvG could be at the top as long as Bristow was at least maybe longer depending on how much he wants it and providing things beyond his control don't stop it like they did with Eric.
This. I'd have

Taylor
MVG
Bristow
Barney
Lowe

MVG is so high for me due to his dominance and consistent standard of play, only equaled or bettered by Taylor in parts. Also what he's already achieved at a very young age, number of majors, and the potential for many more. No one can ever leave out Bristow and Lowe either if they want a credible list. Priestley is 6th if we were doing a top 10

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:42 pm

phil the great wrote:
dartvader wrote:I'd put MvG ahead of Barney, Barney has never truly dominated the game save for 6 months nearly a decade ago. MvG is the third player in the game's professional history to dominate an era. Taylor's dominance was obviously freakish in terms of how long it lasted but MvG could be at the top as long as Bristow was at least maybe longer depending on how much he wants it and providing things beyond his control don't stop it like they did with Eric.
This. I'd have

Taylor
MVG
Bristow
Barney
Lowe

MVG is so high for me due to his dominance and consistent standard of play, only equaled or bettered by Taylor in parts. Also what he's already achieved at a very young age, number of majors, and the potential for many more. No one can ever leave out Bristow and Lowe either if they want a credible list. Priestley is 6th if we were doing a top 10

get your own list ya spastic cunt then

dartvader

Post by dartvader » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:56 pm

My top 4 are Taylor, Bristow, Lowe & MvG. Barney, Priestley, Jocky and Part are also top 10 in my opinion. The last two places are pick 'ems personally I'd say the two Andersons, Bob won a Worlds in a unified field and 3 masters in a row when you had to come through a massive field of all the best players to do it and Gary back to back world titles among other big titles including those cross code events in Holland.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:25 pm

I still have Barney ahead of van Gerwen. He had years of beating up players in the BDO (when it was much stronger field than the farce the BDO has become today), and was the most successful switcher to the PDC ever, going toe to toe with Taylor for well over a year after switching (winning 6 TV titles to Taylor's 7 between May 2006 and July 2007). He beat a seemingly unstoppable van Gerwen in last year's World Championship, he's one of only 2 men along with Priestley to beat Taylor twice in the World Championship. The negative of Barney is him only winning 2 TV titles in singles since July 2007, when he had won over 20 TV titles in less than a decade prior to that, including 6 TV titles in his first 17 months in the PDC. In the PDC World Championship though, despite only winning it once, he usually gets to the quarter finals at least. Only once has he failed to reach the Last 16.

Admittedly, van Gerwen has dominated in the last 2 years in a way that Barney never has. In fact, only Taylor has dominated to that extent and better. Bristow was dominant, but never to this extent. Players like Wilson, Lowe and Anderson were a threat to him. Bristow felt matches against Lowe were in his hands, but knew Lowe would beat him if something was off in his game because of Lowe's consistency. Wilson was a player capable of matching Bristow, but was more erratic with it. Anderson was becoming a very serious threat to Bristow at the time that Bristow got the dartitis, and the 1988 World Championship was dominant for the time with many high 90s averages.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:37 pm

I bet Lewis was gutted when MVG bagged #2. He's sneered on twitter often enough about being 2-1 up. He had some nerve even doing that.

-- PT13 you're the man, what's the MVG-Lewis TV title count? I'd guess it's about 25-4 by now. When Lewis became a 2-time champ, MVG was nobody, ranked 38th at that Worlds. Wind forward 5 years and the great Dutchman has left him for dead.
not a girl

PT13

Post by PT13 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:58 pm

Rogg wrote:I bet Lewis was gutted when MVG bagged #2. He's sneered on twitter often enough about being 2-1 up. He had some nerve even doing that.
He can't do that anymore, now. Lewis was neck and neck with van Gerwen as recently as 3 years ago, yet their careers have gone in opposite directions since Lewis' 2014 UK Open win. I honestly believe one of the keys to what van Gerwen has done is his hunger and desire. He simply has more of it than other players, for almost every tournament, on the floor and TV. When they interviewed him after the match last night, he had tears in his eyes because he was remembering the pain of his previous 2 World Championship defeats and his delight and relief in winning the World Championship again. He has a hunger for competing and winning that other players will need to get if they hope to match him. Having said that, van Gerwen is clearly more vulnerable at the World Championship with the sets format and every player being massively motivated. Van Gerwen would have lost to Barney again for sure had van Gerwen not brought out his very best darts.
Rogg wrote:-- PT13 you're the man, what's the MVG-Lewis TV title count? I'd guess it's about 25-4 by now. When Lewis became a 2-time champ, MVG was nobody, ranked 38th at that Worlds. Wind forward 5 years and the great Dutchman has left him for dead.
In singles, and not counting World Series events:

Adrian Lewis
1. 2011 World Championship
2. 2012 World Championship
3. 2013 European Championship
4. 2014 UK Open

Michael van Gerwen
1. 2006 World Masters
2. 2012 World Grand Prix
3. 2013 Premier League
4. 2013 Players Championship Finals
5. 2014 World Championship
6. 2014 World Grand Prix
7. 2014 European Championship
8. 2015 Masters
9. 2015 UK Open
10. 2015 World Matchplay
11. 2015 European Championship
12. 2015 Grand Slam of Darts
13. 2015 Players Championship Finals
14. 2016 Masters
15. 2016 UK Open
16. 2016 Premier League
17. 2016 World Matchplay
18. 2016 World Grand Prix
19. 2016 European Championship
20. 2016 Grand Slam of Darts
21. 2016 Players Championship Finals
22. 2017 World Championship

Stef

Post by Stef » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:03 am

Barneys world title wins in the late 90s were far stronger fields than what Taylor was beating back then. You just have to look at someone like Ronnie Baxter a BDO player at the time making two straight Matchplay finals and he was nowhere near as good as barney in that period.
Id go:

Taylor
Barney
Bristow
MVG
Lowe

PT13

Post by PT13 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:09 am

Baxter's finishing on double 20 and double 10 was sensational at the 1998 World Matchplay. He came from 6-9 behind to beat Taylor 13-10. A shocker, considering how dominant Taylor had been in the previous 2 years in particular. Baxter also led Harrington 10-6 and 17-14 in the final, before Harrington won 19-17. The following year, Taylor avenged the loss to Baxter in the first round, winning 10-5. In the 2000 World Matchplay, Baxter looked in his 1998 form again, and was the favourite to beat Warriner in the semi final, but Warriner put in one of his best performances and crushed Baxter 17-6, before having an all-time classic final with Taylor.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:27 am

PT13 wrote:
Rogg wrote:I bet Lewis was gutted when MVG bagged #2. He's sneered on twitter often enough about being 2-1 up. He had some nerve even doing that.
He can't do that anymore, now. Lewis was neck and neck with van Gerwen as recently as 3 years ago, yet their careers have gone in opposite directions since Lewis' 2014 UK Open win. I honestly believe one of the keys to what van Gerwen has done is his hunger and desire. He simply has more of it than other players, for almost every tournament, on the floor and TV. When they interviewed him after the match last night, he had tears in his eyes because he was remembering the pain of his previous 2 World Championship defeats and his delight and relief in winning the World Championship again. He has a hunger for competing and winning that other players will need to get if they hope to match him. Having said that, van Gerwen is clearly more vulnerable at the World Championship with the sets format and every player being massively motivated. Van Gerwen would have lost to Barney again for sure had van Gerwen not brought out his very best darts.
Rogg wrote:-- PT13 you're the man, what's the MVG-Lewis TV title count? I'd guess it's about 25-4 by now. When Lewis became a 2-time champ, MVG was nobody, ranked 38th at that Worlds. Wind forward 5 years and the great Dutchman has left him for dead.

Adrian Lewis
4. 2014 UK Open

Michael van Gerwen
1. 2006 World Masters
2. 2012 World Grand Prix
3. 2013 Premier League
6. 2014 World Grand Prix
8. 2015 Masters
9. 2015 UK Open
10. 2015 World Matchplay
14. 2016 Masters
15. 2016 UK Open
16. 2016 Premier League
17. 2016 World Matchplay
Cheers! 22-4, with the margin growing all the time. Nearly 3 years since Lewis won one. Lol. As you say, attitude. MVG, psychotic. Lewis, cabbage. What a disappointment.
not a girl

Kirk Fleet

Post by Kirk Fleet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:45 am

I'd put MVG as #5 now. Bristow is a clear #2 to me. He had the 3 key components of greatness; Achievements, Domination & Longevity. #3 Lowe and #4 Barney didn't dominate the circuit. MVG doesn't have longevity yet. If he can keep up his level of play for the next few years then he has the potential to overtake Bristow. With one more world title I'd consider his case for #3. Lowe has 3 and I consider Barny's to be worth 3.

Pieter

Post by Pieter » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:25 am

World Masters a major, yes?

For me MVG is the best darts player ever, so rank #1. Phil will be the greatest ever though.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:28 am

Stef wrote:Barneys world title wins in the late 90s were far stronger fields than what Taylor was beating back then. You just have to look at someone like Ronnie Baxter a BDO player at the time making two straight Matchplay finals and he was nowhere near as good as barney in that period.
Id go:

Taylor
Barney
Bristow
MVG
Lowe
Bristow would have annihilated barney on the board.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:04 am

Bump.

Any change for MVG since you ranked him when he won his 2nd world title? In the tough company of legends now but he's surely taken a chunk out of Barney since then, if you did have Barney ahead of him previously.
not a girl

Zeyes

Post by Zeyes » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:34 am

Meh, he's needed 13 world championships to win three, Durrant might be doing that in his 6th next week.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:40 am

All very worrying.
not a girl

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:40 am

Rogg wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:04 am Bump.

Any change for MVG since you ranked him when he won his 2nd world title? In the tough company of legends now but he's surely taken a chunk out of Barney since then, if you did have Barney ahead of him previously.
I missed this in 2017, so voted Top 3 now.

Taylor and Bristow only ahead of him now, I believe.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:46 am

Captain Hobo wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:40 am

How far short of Bristow would you say Michael is? Does he necessarily need to match him for world titles?
not a girl

Captain Hobo

Post by Captain Hobo » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:57 am

Rogg wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:46 am
Captain Hobo wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:40 am

How far short of Bristow would you say Michael is? Does he necessarily need to match him for world titles?
I wasn't following darts in the 80s, but as Bristow won 5 titles and was the best player for a long time, he is still ahead of MvG until at least number 5.

Which may be only 2 years away, mind you. Then the discussion could start.
"The United States will be the first nation to land an astronaut on Nars"

PT13

Post by PT13 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:11 am

It depends how much you place on World Championship titles. If you put more emphasis on those then van Gerwen is still behind Bristow and Barneveld. For week to week, month to month and year to year consistency, only Taylor has done what van Gerwen is doing, and van Gerwen would be second.

Phil Taylor in his World Championship pomp won 8 of them in a row, and 11 in 12 years. I know Michael van Gerwen has said that Phil was "lucky" with this because there wasn't the depth in the field in those days that there is now, but the point is that Phil was THE PIONEER of this dominant, ruthless professional standard, and it would have been much easier for Phil to dumb down his own game in such an atmosphere instead of pushing up the standard all the time. Without that past era, there wouldn't be today's era. And even in his last year in the PDC, Taylor went out as the World Matchplay champion and was World Championship runner-up to Rob Cross. Taylor also won most of his TV matches with van Gerwen following the 2016 World Matchplay final. Taylor's mind wanted to teach van Gerwen a lesson over the longer haul and not just the occasional match, but old father time had caught up with him in terms of consistent dominance. "It's killing me" Taylor used to say towards the end of his career, and van Gerwen was always there, relentlessly dominating and going about his business.

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:02 am

Rogg wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:27 am
PT13 wrote:

Adrian Lewis
4. 2014 UK Open

Michael van Gerwen
1. 2006 World Masters
2. 2012 World Grand Prix
3. 2013 Premier League
6. 2014 World Grand Prix
8. 2015 Masters
9. 2015 UK Open
10. 2015 World Matchplay
14. 2016 Masters
15. 2016 UK Open
16. 2016 Premier League
17. 2016 World Matchplay
Cheers! 22-4, with the margin growing all the time. Nearly 3 years since Lewis won one. Lol. As you say, attitude. MVG, psychotic. Lewis, cabbage. What a disappointment.
Some green shoots of recovery this year for Looooouis perhaps? Still doesn't look as flowing as when he was at his brilliant best, but better than this time last year! And he can surely take inspiration from the likes of Wade and (to a lesser extent) Whitlock who have emerged from the doldrums