OLD darts articles

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Justin Credible

Re: OLD darts articles

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:17 pm

Rogg wrote:
Justin Credible wrote:
Rogg wrote:Under-21 WC Update
http://www.pdc.tv/news/article/5axd99b4 ... -wc-update
22nd September 2010

THE eight seeds for the PDC Unicorn Under-21 World Championship have now been confirmed, while entries for the Rileys Qualifiers have passed the 700 mark.

The inaugural £30,000 tournament will culminate in the Final being played at the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship at Alexandra Palace - with players from around the world having the chance to take the £10,000 first prize, and a PDC ProTour Card for 2011.

The leading eight eligible players in the PDC Order of Merit will be seeded into the Last 64 of the tournament, who will play off at the Barnsley Metrodome on Saturday November 6 down to the final.

The eight seeds have now been confirmed following the PDC ProTour events in Nuland, and are:
1. Michael van Gerwen (ranked 30)
2. Joe Cullen (74)
3. Arron Monk (86)
4. Michael Smith (91)
5. Tom Martin (204)
6. Ryan Herrington (307)
7. Tony Clark (307)
8. Sean White (307)
* Players ranked 307 are seeded ahead of Matt Gallett and Alex Tinsley on count-back.

The eight will be joined by a series of International Qualifiers - including Australia's Mitchell Clegg and PDC Europe Qualifiers Rico Dera and Dirk van Duijvenbode - and the Rileys Qualifiers.

A series of knockout qualifiers will be held in Rileys Darts Zones in October, with entries for these events having passed the 700 mark.

3 of that top 8 have gone on to success, the 4th player Monk, is debatable.

Either way 3 from 8 is a great return
Normally almost all of young players never live up to their promise or potential
yes it is encouraging. Also the article on the previous page, showing that Benito qualified for it via a European youth qualifier, and Keegan Brown through Bournemouth Rileys. There was no youth TOUR as such in those days, just the foundations for one.

you only need look at the old results from the winmau master youth champions to see how many future "stars of the game" did absolutely nothing

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:40 pm

True, all you can do is build an optimum development system that gives loads of opportunities to young players, and then it's up to them. The PDC strengthens its own system every year and will get there, but you still need luck, and the raw talent. Nothing is turning a Niels de Ruiter into an MvG etc.

There's never been a better time to be a talented young darts player...
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Champ fulfils lifetime ambition
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 758842.stm
14th January 2002

One week ago, Australian Tony David was ranked 18th in the world, a 50-1 shot for the Embassy title, and a disability pensioner.

A week later he is a national hero, not only back Down Under, but also in Britain.

The Queenslander endeared himself to the Lakeside Country Club crowd, during a tournament that saw him beat two seeds and defeat odds-on favourite Mervyn King in the final.

But it was not all plain sailing for the outsider. The 34-year-old had raced to a 5-1 lead before King clawed the match back to 5-4.

David missed a number of chances to win the match during his opponent's fightback, before a double top in the 10th set ended his frustration.

The Australian claimed after the match that the thought of losing was never on the cards.

"I never believed at any stage that I had blown it, despite the fact Merv pulled it back to 5-4," he said.

"The interval had something to do with my slight loss of form after what was a good start for me.

"He bashed me after the break. I was a bit worried, but I made good shots myself and was given seven darts to get double for a leg. I knew it was fate after that."

David added that he had three goals in his life, and winning the world crown had completed the set.

"Like I said, it was my dream and now it's my reality," he said.

"I had three dreams in one night in 1993, first was winning the Townsville Open which I clinched three days later.

"The second was winning the Australian Masters and third, the Embassy."
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:17 pm

up there with john walton, christian kist and spineless at the weakest of all the piss poor weak ass lakeshite chumps

PT13

Post by PT13 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:09 pm

Tony David was the best BDO player by some distance in 2002. He won the Embassy, the Australian Grand Masters, the World Darts Trophy and the Doeland Grand Masters. I don't think it's appreciated as much as it should be, probably because he won the Embassy while a big outsider instead of winning it when he was the favourite. His 2003 Embassy defence failed, losing in the quarter finals to Ritchie Davies.

PT13

Post by PT13 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Rogg wrote:Paul Lim Out Of Matchplay
https://web.archive.org/web/20030729001 ... 13608&Nv=1
20th July 2000

SINGAPORE SLINGER Paul Lim, has been forced to pull out of the World Matchplay.

Due to problems with United States immigration, Paul Lim has withdrawn from next week's World Matchplay tournament in Blackpool and will be replaced by Alex Roy.
And in that tournament, Alex Roy had that epic with Shayne Burgess in the Last 16, which Roy won 18-16.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:22 pm

Ross Montgomery fired up by PDC director's derogatory tweet
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/loca ... c9ZV0Zk.97
23rd December 2014

ROSS ‘The Boss’ Montgomery reckons a derogatory tweet from a high ranking member of a rival darts organisation will fire him up for next month’s Lakeside World Championships.

But the Greenhills thrower has also complained to top ranking officials at the Professional Darts Players Association (PDPA) over the incident.

Tommy Cox, who is the co-founder and tournament director of the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC) World Championships currently underway in London, took a pot shot at the 52-year-old last week when he poked fun at Montgomery’s record at the British Darts Organisation (BDO) World Championships.

Montgomery, who has gone as far as the second round at the Lakeside in three of his seven appearances, saw his first round match at next month’s event brought forward from the evening of Sunday, January 4 to the afternoon to suit the television schedules.

And afterwards Cox tweeted on his Twitter account @TommyCox_PDC: “One bonus for the BBC, the new deal and the switched games means they will be able to cover the traditional first round exit of Ross the Boss.”

Cox later said on the same post: “And not nice of him to continually deride the PDC and anyone who crosses over, especially not nice from one who has won 0.”

---------------------------

But Ross, who has 14 titles to his name including the Zuiderduin Masters, told the News: “Little does he know things like that only fire me up, so hopefully I can shut him up at the Lakeside.

“He seems to think I ridicule PDC players, but that’s not the case at all. I know players who have gone to the PDC and done ok, but there’s lots of people that think they are way above their station. They have done nothing on the BDO side of the game before moving on and I think it’s wrong.

“They should learn in the BDO – in the ‘amateur’ game that the PDC call us – before they move over because so many players move, achieve nothing and then plead to get back to the BDO. :lol:

“His other part of the tweet, saying I had won nothing, shows he obviously hasn’t checked the history of my achievements.”

--------------------

Ross believes Cox has broken Darts Regulation Authority (DRA) rules on social media conduct and has emailed a complaint to PDPA chairman Peter Manley and chief executive Andrew Warriner-Little.

The DRA guidelines state figures in the sport should not “talk negatively about other competitors, countries, organisations or brands” and warns “remember that you are an ambassador for your sport.”

Montgomery added: “He’s breaching DRA rules about social media comments. You are not allowed to speak badly of other organisations or other players.

“I’ve emailed the PDPA but I haven’t received a reply yet.”

A spokesman for the PDC said: “The twitter account referred to is the personal account of Tommy Cox and does not represent the views of the PDC.

“The profile of the account clearly states that views are his own.

“Any hypothetical breach of the PDC’s social media policy would be dealt with internally.”
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:33 pm

hahahahahahahahaha

for the record ross did win his first round game that following month before losing to spineless
the next year 2016, he lost in the first round again :lol:

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:41 pm

^I wasn't aware that old Monty had taken that episode so badly. He was absolutely livid. :)

This pic was also on that article, he should be bloody grateful that everyone switched:

not a girl

Off_The_Wire

Post by Off_The_Wire » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:43 pm

"Montgomery, who has gone as far as the second round at the Lakeshite in three of his seven appearances"

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:45 pm

Nobody can a polish a turd like regional press.
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Off_The_Wire wrote:"Montgomery, who has gone as far as the second round at the Lakeshite in three of his seven appearances"

thought that was superb for all the wrong reasons :lol:

4 first round defeats and
4 second round defeats

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:52 pm

Darts star makes dramatic dancing entrance ahead of PDC World Championship clash
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/other-spo ... ng-7078578
27th December 2015

A darts player risked making a fool of himself when he danced his way onto the oche before a PDC World Championship match.

Dimitri van den Bergh made the dramatic entrance to the tune of Pharrell Williams' 'Happy' at the Alexandra Palace.

Unfortunately for him he couldn't back his fine dance moves up with a quality performance as he lost his round of 32 match.

The Belgian was beaten 4-2 by the Netherlands' Benito van de Pas.

Van den Bergh's walk-on proved to be a talking point on Twitter, with users willing him to qualify so they could see him dance again.

One user wrote: "Van den Bergh is a fantastic prospect, such an endearing character & his walk on is superb. The future is bright."

Another added: "I hope Van den Bergh wins just so I can see that walk on one more time."

Sadly we won't be seeing any more of Van den Bergh's moves at this tournament.
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:00 pm

PDC Darts: Terry Jenkins & Kyle Anderson hit nine-dart finishes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/darts/25384291
14th December 2013

Terry Jenkins and Kyle Anderson hit nine-dart finishes on day two of the PDC World Darts Championship - before both men suffered defeats.

Englishman Jenkins threw the perfect leg during the fifth set of his first-round match at Alexandra Palace, only to lose 3-2 to Denmark's Per Laursen.

Jenkins was on course to collect the £30,000 prize on offer if there was just one nine-darter in the tournament.

But Australia's Anderson matched him on the way to defeat against Ian White.
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:01 pm

TOYBOARDS GODDAMNIT !!!!!!1

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:04 pm

How quickly times change, only 16 months ago...

PDC World Championship: Benito van de Pas shocks Paul Nicholson
http://www.skysports.com/darts/news/120 ... -nicholson
21st December 2014

Australian Paul Nicholson crashed out of the William Hill World Darts Championship after losing 3-2 to Benito van de Pas in the first round.

Nicholson, the 25th seed and quarter-finalist at Alexandra Palace in 2009, lost the first set 3-0 to the 21-year-old Dutchman, who was making his debut in the event.

However, he hit back strongly to take the second set 3-0 and looked on course for victory when he followed up by winning the third set 3-1.

Van de Pas moved 2-1 ahead in the fourth set but then missed three darts to win the set, allowing Nicholson to level it up.

The Newcastle-born 35-year-old failed to grab his chance after moving one leg away from the match, though, and Van de Pas hit double 16 to take it into a deciding set.

Nicholson hit the wrong double in the first leg to let Van de Pas edge ahead and, despite two 180s from the Australian, it was the Dutchman who won the next two legs, hitting a 109 finish to secure victory.

Van de Pas told http://www.pdc.tv: “That was awesome, I started really well, but the second and the third set I wasn’t playing very well so just had to stay in it.

“I’ve played really well on the floor all season and played well in some Players Championship events, and what I learnt there is that you just have to fight and fight to get anything."
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:11 pm

World Darts Trophy Named After Waddell
http://news.sky.com/story/972017/world- ... er-waddell
13th August 2012

The Professional Darts Corporation have decided to make a lasting tribute to commentator Sid Waddell. There will be a new World Championship trophy for this years tournament which will be named after him.

Waddell passed away this weekend aged 72 after a long battle with cancer.

PDC Chairman Barry Hearn said: "Sid was the Voice of Darts and we wouldn't be where we are today without him. He was such a major part of Darts, a really nice fellow who no-one had a bad word about.

"He was wonderful to listen to, with his university education he was tremendously intelligent and whether it was Greek mythology or Marxism he always found a way of pulling a quote out relating to a darts match.

"He's up there with the legendary commentators in sport and he kept his passion for darts with him every time he went in to the commentary box.

"He had so much respect for the players and hated that snobbishness that some people looked down on darts with - he brought the game in to the 21st century.

"He was fun to be around, you never saw him down and he looked forward to every match as it was the most important thing in his life. He loved life and whether it was writing or broadcasting he lived it 100 percent and gave it 100 percent."
not a girl

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:53 pm

Dave Chisnall is toast of Frimley
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/otherspo ... of-Frimley
10th January 2010

DAVE Chisnall produced a masterclass to reach the BDO World Darts final with an amazing 6-3 defeat of top seed Tony O’shea at Frimley Green.

Chisnall was 2-0 and 3-2 behind before storming back in a great semi-final at the lakeside Club to take victory with two amazing finishes.

In the second leg of the ninth set, he checked out on the bull for 164 – the biggest of the week – and then won the match in sensational style.

Needing 121, Chisnall finished with bullseye again to send last year’s runner-up tumbling out.

Chisnall said: “I cannot believe it. how am I going to prepare for the final? I will get drunk because I haven’t had a good drink all week. :? I was confident but I didn’t think I was going to hit that 164. I felt great out there.”

At 29, he is the same age Phil Taylor was when he won the first of his 15 world crowns.

Chisnall, from St Helens in Merseyside, knocked out defending champion Ted Hankey in the quarter-finals and added: “I didn’t know that about Phil but it would be an amazing coincidence if I did the same.

“This week has changed my life.”

O’shea said: “He was awesome. I did not play my best darts but take nothing away from Chizzy.”
not a girl

Justin Credible

Post by Justin Credible » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:58 pm

would prefer if it just said Chizzy is toast

like he was in the PL, worlds, etc :lol:

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:29 am

Someone get the checklist...

Bransgore's Scott Mitchell looks set to reject chance to join PDC
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/ ... _join_PDC/
10th January 2016

BRANSGORE star Scott Mitchell looks set to turn down the opportunity to attend Q School – the gateway to the Professional Darts Corporation.

The 45-year-old, who was beaten in the British Darts Organisation World Championship quarter-final by Richard Veenstra, has received one offer and one enquiry from two management companies that provide financial backing and sponsorship help for top arrows stars.

Entries for Q School must be in by 2pm tomorrow with the event itself – at which players attempt to earn a full tour card – set to take place from Wednesday.

If Mitchell secured his card, he would be unable to take part in any BDO events.

However, the Dorset county star, who is due to hold talks with BDO chiefs this afternoon, admits he is likely to stay where he is.

Mitchell told the Daily Echo: "I have had one offer and one enquiry from two management companies to go to the PDC and it's very flattering.

"It's been a bit last-ditch and whether I'm mentally ready to go and do Q School for four days, I'm not sure.

"I think it would be a rushed decision. I would need a couple of months to think about something like that.

"I've been at the BDO for years and with potentially a few new tournaments round the corner, I'd be a fool to jump now.

"Another thing for me to consider is whether I'd want to stop doing things back at home and at the farm, because that would have to go out of the window as I'd have to put the practice in.

"I think that my plan will be to stay but I'm 80-20."
not a girl