Aw

General day to day stuff
sat

Aw

Post by sat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:56 pm

I have some money saved to go back to Arctic Norway this winter, but I wondered how much more I would need to go and visit the Antarctic. Somewhere I have wanted to go for years. So, I find that for about 3.5k I can go on a twelve day cruise. Sweet, I'll start saving up. Then I spy it's only to the peninsula and doesn't actually cross the Antarctic Circle. Feels like a bit of a cheat.
A bit more Googling later I find I can actually go to the South Pole! Fantastic! Yes I'll do that. TWENTY EIGHT THOUSAND FUCKING POUNDS!

So maybe not.

Randall
Site Admin

Re: Aw

Post by Randall » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:59 pm

watch out for polar bears!

sat

Aw

Post by sat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Indeed. Might get that high this year. Got enough for Tromso, but I still have time to save for extra trips.

doG

Post by doG » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:42 pm

randall wrote:watch out for polar bears!

Err no, no bears in Antartica, only seals, sea lions, Orca, penguins & Albatross. That's about it....oh and Kiwi's at Scott Base :lol:

If you were to trek to the south pole, you could count yourself one of very few humans that will ever do it. South pole would be the most hostile (westher wise) uninhabited unexplored places on the earth, althou 99.9% of it is snow and ice, almost all year round.

And nah, I've never been there....it's fucking cold, and there's no fish & chip shop.
doG
dOg...off his chain

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:51 pm

there was a programme earlier in the year about scotts base, and shackletons for that matter, very interesting.

as you say many of the scientists there were new zealenders.

sat

Aw

Post by sat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:59 pm

doG wrote:
randall wrote:watch out for polar bears!

Err no, no bears in Antartica, only seals, sea lions, Orca, penguins & Albatross. That's about it....oh and Kiwi's at Scott Base :lol:

If you were to trek to the south pole, you could count yourself one of very few humans that will ever do it. South pole would be the most hostile (westher wise) uninhabited unexplored places on the earth, althou 99.9% of it is snow and ice, almost all year round.

And nah, I've never been there....it's fucking cold, and there's no fish & chip shop.
doG
If I were to trek to the South Pole, I could count myself one of the very few humans who can afford it, it would seem.
Was also looking at going on the zero g flight. Few grand again, the flights TO the flight making up most of the expense.

doG

Post by doG » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:06 pm

Yeah, it's probably the most unspoiled place on the planet, just because it is so uninhabitable for humans. I suppose that's why no single nation actually 'owns' Antartica. Many nations have bases there. New Zealand and USA are the most popular NZ only because NZ is the closest country. We get rather upset when the Japanese come down there with their factory fishing fleets and start hunting the whales into extinction.......fucking arseholes. Whales are intelligent mammals and do no harm to anyone, they cannot protect themselves so are an easy catch. To bad the rest of the world continue to be bribed by Japan so they can continue whaling......once again, more arseholes. They'll be happy when one of th most magestic animals on the planet is wiped out, because the Japs like to eat whale meat.
doG
dOg...off his chain

macca

Post by macca » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:14 pm

m brother in law has just come back from a cruise to the fjords and was awestruck he the wife and kids loved it
Believe it or not I look forward to your posts. I admit I was having a bad day, don't we all sometimes?

19 - 09 - 2011

sat

Aw

Post by sat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:10 pm

Awestruck by the price of things too I bet.
I've not been on any trip like that, going to try and see the aurora again this time. I should book it now if possible really, knowing my luck something will happen and the saved cash will get used. If I book it then it's done and I'll just have to dig the credit card out should anything go wrong at home.

gav666

Post by gav666 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:57 pm

sat wrote:I have some money saved to go back to Arctic Norway this winter, but I wondered how much more I would need to go and visit the Antarctic. Somewhere I have wanted to go for years. So, I find that for about 3.5k I can go on a twelve day cruise. Sweet, I'll start saving up. Then I spy it's only to the peninsula and doesn't actually cross the Antarctic Circle. Feels like a bit of a cheat.
A bit more Googling later I find I can actually go to the South Pole! Fantastic! Yes I'll do that. TWENTY EIGHT THOUSAND FUCKING POUNDS!

So maybe not.
want a loan sex pot??
PROUD SPONSOR OF ROBBIE "KONG" GREEN AND ALAN" DICIE" REILLY

sat

Aw

Post by sat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:57 pm

I would, but I don't like your interest rates. ;)

gav666

Post by gav666 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:59 pm

sat wrote:I would, but I don't like your interest rates. ;)
:o :o
oohh err
PROUD SPONSOR OF ROBBIE "KONG" GREEN AND ALAN" DICIE" REILLY