Random Dart Stuff

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
The Thorn

Re: Random Dart Stuff

Post by The Thorn » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:14 pm

No one is stating otherwise boy
WDF4LIFE

If you want to shine like the sun, first you have to burn like it

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:18 pm

In a unified field, I suspect Taylor's tally would be between 12 and 14 world titles.

I suspect Headshaker may have caught him out once or twice and in the early rounds.

However, over a long format in particular Taylor was formidable.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

PT13

Post by PT13 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:04 am

Phil Taylor had a scare against Les Fitton in the last 16 of the 2001 World Championship. Fitton won the first set, and was competitive for the rest of the match as Taylor won 3-1. Taylor admitted afterwards that Fitton had him worried. It was the only set that Taylor lost at the 2001 World Championship, his 9th World Championship title. The following year, at the 2002 World Championship, there was a bizarre format of first to 4,6,6,6,7 sets for the five rounds of the 32 player tournament, and I think that Fitton match from the year before was the reason, i.e. Barry Hearn wanting to reduce the chances of a Taylor loss by making the formats of the early rounds much longer. Taylor's famous 6-1 win over Shayne Burgess where Taylor had the 111.21 average, a record for a World Championship match until 2017, was in the last 16 of the 2002 World Championship. In 2001, the format had been first to 3,3,4,6,7 sets per round.

Taylor played against Les Fitton again in the first round of the 2003 World Matchplay. Taylor won 10-0 and averaged 108.12.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:19 am

PT13 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:13 pm
meetthefeebles wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 am
meetthefeebles wrote:
sennafan24 wrote:
Rogg wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:23 pm

Yes.
"I was texting Conor McGregor earlier"
The same shit he used to come out with:

'Me and Ricky Hatton...'
'I was taking to Robbie Williams beforehand'

Greatest darts player of all time. And also a total cunt.
I know you're trolling but I'll bite and agree that what you say is absolutely correct. In a combined field he'd still have probably 10 or so world titles and still be the GOAT, but some of those early PDC fields were absolute comedy.
Phil Taylor was the best player in the world at the time of all 16 World Championships that he won. The only really serious debate is Richie Burnett in 1995. The early WDC fields were "comedy" because they had to fight a court case for the survival of long-term professional darts. By the way, nearly all pre-split TV tournament winners were in the early WDC. By "comedy", you're referring to the lack of depth in the field.
‘Subjective’
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:21 am

sennafan24 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:18 pm In a unified field, I suspect Taylor's tally would be between 12 and 14 world titles.

I suspect Headshaker may have caught him out once or twice and in the early rounds.

I reckon Ted would have have still managed to win one.
Boxing has multiple world champions. I’ve no issue with 2 world champions in darts.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:23 am

sennafan24 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:18 pm In a unified field, I suspect Taylor's tally would be between 12 and 14 world titles.

04-06 he was vulnerable by his standard but on any given day he could turn it on
As witnessed in the cross code games with Barney at that time

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:31 am

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:21 am

Boxing has multiple world champions. I’ve no issue with 2 world champions in darts.
Can't see it.

The two years where Ted won Lakeside were 2000 and 2009. Taylor was in formidable form in both of those years.

Hankey's 2000 Lakeside is actually a bit overrated. It was only really in the Mason game where he played exceptionally. It was similar in 2009, just with the Adams semi-final. A lot of solid consistent performances in both campaigns, but nowhere near to what Taylor was producing on the other side of the divide.

I can't see Adams winning any World titles in a unified field either.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:31 am

Randall wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:23 am

04-06 he was vulnerable by his standard but on any given day he could turn it on
As witnessed in the cross code games with Barney at that time
Stop stealing my argument prick ;)

Who knows....

Who cares.....

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:39 am

sennafan24 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:31 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:21 am

Can't see it.

The two years where Ted won Lakeside were 2000 and 2009. Taylor was in formidable form in both of those years.

Hankey's 2000 Lakeside is actually a bit overrated. It was only really in the Mason game where he played exceptionally. It was similar in 2009, just with the Adams semi-final. A lot of solid consistent performances in both campaigns, but nowhere near to what Taylor was producing on the other side of the divide.

I can't see Adams winning any World titles in a unified field either.
It doesn’t work like that though does it. I suspect Taylor may have had a couple of more shock early defeats. A unified field would have been stronger. It’s all fantasy and we will never know.
Back to Ted, you surely have to give him credit for his demolition of Baxter in the final. He didn’t have to raise his game to another level. If Baxter ( who was a top player back then) had put some pressure on Ted, we might have seen a better version of Hankey.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:41 am

Is he out of prison yet?

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:48 am

Randall wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:41 am Is he out of prison yet?
I suspect not as someone on here would know plus you would expect to see some newspaper article along the lines of
‘Disgraced former world darts champion found working in a retail outlet in Leicester’

His boss known as Randall was quoted as saying ‘I know Ted has done wrong in the past, but he is a good worker and the staff and customers love him’

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:50 am

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:48 am
I suspect not as someone on here would know plus you would expect to see some newspaper article along the lines of
‘Disgraced former world darts champion found working in a retail outlet in Leicester’

His boss known as Randall was quoted as saying ‘I know Ted has done wrong in the past, but he is a good worker and the staff and customers love him’
Too far

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:53 am

Randall wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:50 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:48 am

Too far
😀

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:55 am

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:39 am It doesn’t work like that though does it. I suspect Taylor may have had a couple of more shock early defeats. A unified field would have been stronger. It’s all fantasy and we will never know.
Back to Ted, you surely have to give him credit for his demolition of Baxter in the final. He didn’t have to raise his game to another level. If Baxter ( who was a top player back then) had put some pressure on Ted, we might have seen a better version of Hankey.
1) In the years mentioned, Taylor was in peak form from pretty much start to finish. He averaged over 101 in every game of those championships, with the exceptions of the 2000 final (94) and the 2009 first round (96). Thus, based on the best evidence, it appears unlikely he would have been tripped up in those years. Other PDC players could have stopped Hankey too (Priestly in 2000, Barney in 2009, etc). I really can't see Hankey winning a world title in an unified field.

2) Baxter had apparently caught his wife cheating on him around the day of the final and simply didn't turn up. I did credit Hankey for performing consistently and solidly throughout both Lakesides he won. Although Hankey's Lakeside numbers don't really stack up well compared to other Lakeside post-split champions of his era, let alone Taylor's - viewtopic.php?t=10306&hilit=bdo+champio ... 0#p1559898. If anything, there are probably stronger grounds for arguing that Beaton, Fordham or Walton would have still won a world title in a unified field.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:57 am

Absolutely zero chance Walton was beating Taylor in 01

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:00 am

Randall wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:57 am Absolutely zero chance Walton was beating Taylor in 01
Over a long format Taylor would have almost certainly have beat Walton in 2001. Over a shorter format I would still pick Taylor, but give Walton a better chance.

Still, I give Walton a better chance of beating Taylor in 01 than Hankey in 00 or 09.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:02 am

sennafan24 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:00 am
Randall wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:57 am Absolutely zero chance Walton was beating Taylor in 01
Over a long format Taylor would have almost certainly have beat Walton in 2001. Over a shorter format I would still pick Taylor, but give Walton a better chance.

Still, I give Walton a better chance of beating Taylor in 01 than Hankey in 00 or 09.
Best of 1 leg if he had the throw

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:13 am

sennafan24 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:55 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:39 am It doesn’t work like that though does it. I suspect Taylor may have had a couple of more shock early defeats. A unified field would have been stronger. It’s all fantasy and we will never know.
1) In the years mentioned, Taylor was in peak form from pretty much start to finish. He averaged over 101 in every game of those championships, with the exceptions of the 2000 final (94) and the 2009 first round (96). Thus, based on the best evidence, it appears unlikely he would have been tripped up in those years. Other PDC players could have stopped Hankey too (Priestly in 2000, Barney in 2009, etc). I really can't see Hankey winning a world title in an unified field.

2) Baxter had apparently caught his wife cheating on him around the day of the final and simply didn't turn up. I did credit Hankey for performing consistently and solidly throughout both Lakesides he won. Although Hankey's Lakeside numbers don't really stack up well compared to other Lakeside post-split champions of his era, let alone Taylor's - viewtopic.php?t=10306&hilit=bdo+champio ... 0#p1559898. If anything, there are probably stronger grounds for arguing that Beaton, Fordham or Walton would have still won a world title in a unified field.
You are missing the point. I am not saying Ted would have won in 2000 I just think if the split never happened, a lot of things would have been different. For example 1998 Les Wallace could have knocked Taylor out in round 1
You can’t base everything on averages.
I do think Taylor would certainly be in double figures though for world title wins.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:14 am

I think zero chance is stretching it. Taylor would have likely won, but Walton was outstanding that year.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:29 am

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:13 am You are missing the point. I am not saying Ted would have won in 2000 I just think if the split never happened, a lot of things would have been different. For example 1998 Les Wallace could have knocked Taylor out in round 1
You can’t base everything on averages.
I do think Taylor would certainly be in double figures though for world title wins.
I literally posted above that Taylor would probably get caught in the opening rounds a few times.

Granted averages are not everything, as John Part showed in the 2003 final when he beat Taylor averaging 3 points fewer, but I fail to see why you think Hankey was better than his numbers suggest. Why argue that Hankey would have won in a unified field and not players from his era who won Lakeside with better stats, and therefore probably had a higher ceiling to their game? Walton, in addition to impressive averages in 2001, was also very consistent especially when it came to doubling. What in Hankey's game, which is perhaps not reflected so much in the stats, do you believe would have enabled him to a world title in a unified field?

The split would have changed the course of darts, but one thing is for sure is that it would become harder for players in both codes to win world titles (only 1 world championship and with a greater talent pool). That automatically reduces the chances of Hankey winning one.

Who knows....

Who cares.....