Boxing

Life would be boring without it!
The real ssjsa

Re: Boxing

Post by The real ssjsa » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:26 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:06 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:34 am The goat with little room for debate
Some historians/researchers think it's Greb.

Duran at his peak is the most skilled (best) I've seen footage of.

Robinson is a contender in both categories though. I should probably make the effort to watch more footage of his.
Sugar Ray Robinson was an incredibly skilled boxer, and impossible to judge generation vs generation.

Of the four great middleweights of the 80s, I would rate Duran as no.4 below Sugar Ray Leonard(no.1) Marvin Hagler(no.2)and Tommy Hearns(no. 3).

That being said, for me Duran was much better at lightweight and was exceptional at 135lbs.

Have to say, my abiding memory of watching an incredibly skilled performance was Muhammed Ali against Cleveland Williams, which for me was Ali at his best.

Last edited by The real ssjsa on Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ross, Bob

Post by Ross, Bob » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:28 pm

The real ssjsa wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:26 pm
sennafan24 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:06 pm
Randall wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:34 am The goat with little room for debate
Some historians/researchers think it's Greb.

Duran at his peak is the most skilled (best) I've seen footage of.

Robinson is a contender in both categories though. I should probably make the effort to watch more footage of his.
Sugar Ray Robinson was an incredibly skilled boxer, and impossible to judge generation vs generation.

Of the four great middleweights of the 80s, I would rate Duran as no.4 below Sugar Ray Leonard(no.1) Marvin Hagler(no.2)and Tommy Hearns(no. 3).

That being said, for me Duran was much better at lightweight and was exceptional at 135lbs.

Have to say, my abiding memory of watching an incredibly skilled performance was Muhammed Ali against Cleveland Williams, which for me was Ali at his best.
So basically you want Duran to die?

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:31 pm

The real ssjsa wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:26 pm Sugar Ray Robinson was an incredibly skilled boxer, and impossible to judge generation vs generation.

Duran had very little for Hearns head to head. The reach and power disadvantage was far too much for him to overcome.

But he beat SRL the first time they fought in the best boxing performance I've seen on film and also gave Hagler one heck of a fight years later.

In terms of overall career, I'd rate Duran top, then SRL, then either Hagler or Hearns.

I rate Mayweather and Pac behind Duran and SRL also.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:46 pm

Hagler top dog for me in that era

The real ssjsa

Post by The real ssjsa » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:49 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:31 pm
The real ssjsa wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:26 pm Sugar Ray Robinson was an incredibly skilled boxer, and impossible to judge generation vs generation.

Duran had very little for Hearns head to head. The reach and power disadvantage was far too much for him to overcome.

But he beat SRL the first time they fought in the best boxing performance I've seen on film and also gave Hagler one heck of a fight years later.

In terms of overall career, I'd rate Duran top, then SRL, then either Hagler or Hearns.

I rate Mayweather and Pac behind Duran and SRL also.
The goat debates within every sport make for great discussion, especially in boxing which have so many weight divisions and the greats participating at many of the weight classes. Agree with you that neither Mayweather nor Pacquiao can be considered above the Super 4 of the eighties, but for me think you are overating Duran against his 3 contemporaries. That is the beauty of debate, in that we all have an opinion.

On the heavyweights, whilst I think Ali was an amazing fighter, my opinion is that LennoxLewis is the most complete fighter historically within the Division and would have been
much too big and heavy for Muhammed to deal with.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:07 pm

The real ssjsa wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:49 pm The goat debates within every sport make for great discussion, especially in boxing which have so many weight divisions and the greats participating at many of the weight classes. Agree with you that neither Mayweather nor Pacquiao can be considered above the Super 4 of the eighties, but for me think you are overating Duran against his 3 contemporaries. That is the beauty of debate, in that we all have an opinion.

On the heavyweights, whilst I think Ali was an amazing fighter, my opinion is that LennoxLewis is the most complete fighter historically within the Division and would have been
I'm not oblivious to Duran's weaknesses (commitment and focus). I'm also not going to argue that even with 100% dedication that he could have beaten Hearns due to the reasons I underlined above.

That said, peak for peak, I do think he was the best boxer of the four, albeit only marginally ahead of SRL. I also think he had the best career of the four, again SRL is close behind.

Ali is the best and greatest HW I have watched footage of. That said, I could easily see Lennox beat him head to head (prime vs prime). Lennox certainly had the size/reach and skills (diverse jab, clinch, etc) to beat Ali. Then again, perhaps Ali's speed, stamina and jab would be enough to outpoint Lewis. It's hard to call.
oche balboa wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:58 am Would be a cold day in hell before you two have a disagreement. I thought you was the same person. perhaps you are brothers

Who knows....

Who cares.....

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:07 pm
The real ssjsa wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:49 pm The goat debates within every sport make for great discussion, especially in boxing which have so many weight divisions and the greats participating at many of the weight classes. Agree with you that neither Mayweather nor Pacquiao can be considered above the Super 4 of the eighties, but for me think you are overating Duran against his 3 contemporaries. That is the beauty of debate, in that we all have an opinion.

I'm not oblivious to Duran's weaknesses (commitment and focus). I'm also not going to argue that even with 100% dedication that he could have beaten Hearns due to the reasons I underlined above.

That said, peak for peak, I do think he was the best boxer of the four, albeit only marginally ahead of SRL. I also think he had the best career of the four, again SRL is close behind.

Ali is the best and greatest HW I have watched footage of. That said, I could easily see Lennox beat him head to head (prime vs prime). Lennox certainly had the size/reach and skills (diverse jab, clinch, etc) to beat Ali. Then again, perhaps Ali's speed, stamina and jab would be enough to outpoint Lewis. It's hard to call.
Of the so called big 4 It’s hard to split SRL and Duran.
I think Duran was fortunate against Buchanan as he should have been disqualified and he never gave him a rematch.
He did get inside SRLs head though for their first fight as SRL fought the wrong kind of fight. He was trying to blast Duran out after he was subjected to some horrific insults by Duran.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm Of the so called big 4 It’s hard to split SRL and Duran.
I think Duran was fortunate against Buchanan as he should have been disqualified and he never gave him a rematch.
He did get inside SRLs head though for their first fight as SRL fought the wrong kind of fight. He was trying to blast Duran out after he was subjected to some horrific insults by Duran.
I think Duran simply did a great job of slipping SRL's jabs and then forcing him back onto the ropes/closing distance to get inside. It was inside where Duran was the master. I will also add that Duran was able to box competitively on the outside with SRL at times when SRL was able to create distance.

It's probably the highest level boxing bout I've watched footage of.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:38 pm Of the so called big 4 It’s hard to split SRL and Duran.
I think Duran simply did a great job of slipping SRL's jabs and then forcing him back onto the ropes/closing distance to get inside. It was inside where Duran was the master. I will also add that Duran was able to box competitively on the outside with SRL at times when SRL was able to create distance.

SRL tried to fight Duran at his own game which was crazy. It’s a while since i have watched the fight. I’m going to make a point of watching it again at some point soon.
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:21 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm
sennafan24 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 pm

SRL tried to fight Duran at his own game which was crazy. It’s a while since i have watched the fight. I’m going to make a point of watching it again at some point soon.
Actually, SRL initially boxed as he usually did; trying to draw the opponent in and counter/control with jab and set up power shots. But, for reasons established above, it didn't work.

SRL did try and fight fire with fire later in the bout, but only after his usual methods were ineffective.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:22 pm

I’m looking forward to the boxing tomorrow. Wardley v Clarke is a very good domestic clash. Ben Whittaker is on the card as well.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:39 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:22 pm I’m looking forward to the boxing tomorrow. Wardley v Clarke is a very good domestic clash. Ben Whittaker is on the card as well.
Marku vs Kongo too.

I'll be watching.

Who knows....

Who cares.....

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:06 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:39 pm
HalloweenJack wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:22 pm I’m looking forward to the boxing tomorrow. Wardley v Clarke is a very good domestic clash. Ben Whittaker is on the card as well.
Marku vs Kongo too.

I'll be watching.
Ah yes I forgot about that one. A bit of needle in the build up.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:20 am

Romero got shown up last night

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:24 am

Randall wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:20 am Romero got shown up last night
I’ve no interest in that fight. Tonight is where it’s at. A good domestic heavyweight tear up.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:39 am

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:24 am
I’ve no interest in that fight. Tonight is where it’s at. A good domestic heavyweight tear up.
Neither did romero
Who is fighting the night?

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:43 am

Randall wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:39 am
Neither did romero
Fabio Wardley ( British and commonwealth h/wt champ 17-0 16 kos) v Frazer Clarke ( former Olympic bronze medalist 8-0 6 kos)

Frazer Clarke was a very good amateur whereas Wardley came into the pro ranks having a few white collar boxing matches.
It has been deemed white collar v amateur.

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:49 am

HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:43 am
Neither did romero
Fabio Wardley ( British and commonwealth h/wt champ 17-0 16 kos) v Frazer Clarke ( former Olympic bronze medalist 8-0 6 kos)

Frazer Clarke was a very good amateur whereas Wardley came into the pro ranks having a few white collar boxing matches.
Never heard of them

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:52 am

Randall wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:49 am
HalloweenJack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:43 am
Neither did romero

‘Nope’
Fixed.

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:57 am

The most relevant news in boxing this weekend is that Tim Tszyu lost last night.

He was seemingly in the frame to fight Crawford.

Who knows....

Who cares.....