Matt Porter Interview

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
Rogg

Re: Matt Porter Interview

Post by Rogg » Wed May 31, 2023 1:52 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:57 am
oche balboa wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:30 am I wouldn't really care if they abolished the Challenge Tour. And tell all the Nontcs to play in the other systems and they run a friday night qualifier
What would be the benefit of abolishing it? It’s the best possible place for nontcs to play in a professional environment with the best players that don’t hold professional status. Plus it only takes up 5/6 weekends of the year. As Porter rightfully said, they could’ve spread it out a lot more but the cost would be ridiculous and people wouldn’t get time off work. So doing 5 events in a weekend is whilst not perfect the best they can offer. Jenkins and Edgar are ungrateful
Very well said. How anyone could think that abolishing the challenge tour would be a good or even neutral thing for darts I can't imagine. Truly amazing.

At least direct us to the trees that £360,000 darts tours grow on you grumbling Gertrudes.
not a girl

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Wed May 31, 2023 1:56 pm

Rogg wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:52 pm
oche balboa wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:30 am I wouldn't really care if they abolished the Challenge Tour. And tell all the Nontcs to play in the other systems and they run a friday night qualifier
What would be the benefit of abolishing it? It’s the best possible place for nontcs to play in a professional environment with the best players that don’t hold professional status. Plus it only takes up 5/6 weekends of the year. As Porter rightfully said, they could’ve spread it out a lot more but the cost would be ridiculous and people wouldn’t get time off work. So doing 5 events in a weekend is whilst not perfect the best they can offer. Jenkins and Edgar are ungrateful
Very well said. How anyone could think that abolishing the challenge tour would be a good or even neutral thing for darts I can't imagine. Truly amazing.

At least direct us to the trees that £360,000 darts tours grow on you grumbling Gertrudes.
Porter got it spot on... The CT players are not full time darts players and have jobs.. Getting the time off for 10-12 weekends would be hard and the cost of hotels, travel etc would be crazy...
Plus, as Porter said many of the CT players also play on the Dev Tour

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed May 31, 2023 2:16 pm

TheMalteseDart wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:36 am
Bram_1900 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:32 am
TheMalteseDart wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 10:15 am They never said they wasn’t going to change it
They call the critics "just noise" and are satisfied with it. In his answers I dont hear any tendency towards change
He always says that, to be fair there will be a lot of people who watched it every week who don’t post on social media and enjoyed it. We only see the negative comments on twitter, they said they’d review it and take into account what the fans want. I think they know this year got slagged off maybe more than any others so I’d be surprised if they don’t change anything at all
It's true that the noisy negative Nellies are the only people we hear from.

This may be the best PL format ever for fans at the venues. 7 games, 1 champion. The venues looked more full than usual towards the end of nights. It has been a huge hit in the physical world, according to my cloth eyes anyway.

But the negativity has been unusually noisy, far noisier than for wanting the World Cup to be pairs only. Change is coming and it was probably due anyway after 2 years so it would be an easy call to make.
not a girl

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Wed May 31, 2023 2:29 pm

tungsten tossers wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 1:56 pm

Porter got it spot on... The CT players are not full time darts players and have jobs.. Getting the time off for 10-12 weekends would be hard and the cost of hotels, travel etc would be crazy...
Most of these players play darts every weekend anyway.
The Thorn wrote: ↑Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:39 pm
Rather top myself than watch 1 minute of this shite

Thorn about Modus Super Series in 2021 - He now is an avid fan

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed May 31, 2023 2:53 pm

oche balboa wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:29 pm

Who actually benefits from the challenge tour being binned? We are very puzzled.
not a girl

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed May 31, 2023 2:58 pm

Rogg wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:53 pm Who actually benefits from the challenge tour being binned? We are very puzzled.
The WDF army.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed May 31, 2023 3:03 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:58 pm
Rogg wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 2:53 pm Who actually benefits from the challenge tour being binned? We are very puzzled.
The WDF army.
There is a whiff of that... but I give the benefit of the doubt that something more intellectual is happening.
not a girl

thegentle

Post by thegentle » Wed May 31, 2023 3:03 pm

Do they all get to play for a possible £12,500 (OK OK, it's not likely that anyone will win anywhere near that much, but it's the highest possible prize for a CT weekend) elsewhere, with UK Open, tour cards, Pro Tour, Worlds and Grand Slam places on the line? With all that on the line too, the standard is likely to always be better than any other competitions they'll find

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Wed May 31, 2023 3:58 pm

I think Porter isn't a fan of the Challenge Tour (Its Rod Harrington's idea) and will be looking to bin it, downgrade it

I don't think it should go. It's there for a reason, More TC's should come from it and the PDC are very generous with giving them places on the Worlds and GSOD in reality. How does Golf/Tennis Challenge Tour work?

tungsten tossers

Post by tungsten tossers » Wed May 31, 2023 3:59 pm

thegentle wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:03 pm

Do they all get to play for a possible £12,500 (OK OK, it's not likely that anyone will win anywhere near that much, but it's the highest possible prize for a CT weekend) elsewhere, with UK Open, tour cards, Pro Tour, Worlds and Grand Slam places on the line? With all that on the line too, the standard is likely to always be better than any other competitions they'll find
It seems to only be a select few that have been moaning about it tbh, which will always happen....
I would be happy if the CT was extended by a couple of extra weekends, if the calendar can handle it

The Ginge Reaper

Post by The Ginge Reaper » Wed May 31, 2023 4:01 pm

oche balboa wrote:I think Porter isn't a fan of the Challenge Tour (Its Rod Harrington's idea) and will be looking to bin it, downgrade it

I don't think it should go. It's there for a reason, More TC's should come from it and the PDC are very generous with giving them places on the Worlds and GSOD in reality. How does Golf/Tennis Challenge Tour work?
Tennis doesn't have tour cards. The Challenger and Futures events carry less ranking points but all points go on the same rankings. Andy Murray won a Challenger event the other week which was a 175 pointer. The lowest number of points you get for a main tour event is 250 points. You get 2000 for winning a Slam.

The higher up the rankings you are, the more likely you get into main tour events.

Last edited by The Ginge Reaper on Wed May 31, 2023 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big changes on the way ! We've heard it before but it's different this time !!!! , I believe Bdo gonna grow x

Tony O'Shea, 6th January 2016

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed May 31, 2023 4:02 pm

oche balboa wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:58 pm I think Porter isn't a fan of the Challenge Tour (Its Rod Harrington's idea) and will be looking to bin it, downgrade it

HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed May 31, 2023 4:15 pm

oche balboa wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 3:58 pm I think Porter isn't a fan of the Challenge Tour (Its Rod Harrington's idea) and will be looking to bin it, downgrade it

A couple of years ago they added more CT events and increased the tour's benefits. This season they have increased the prize money. Funny way of downgrading it lol.
not a girl

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Wed May 31, 2023 4:17 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:02 pm

Challenge Tour going will not effect my life so i don't care too much but i think it has value

Hope it helps

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Wed May 31, 2023 4:19 pm

Rogg wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:15 pm

A couple of years ago they added more CT events and increased the tour's benefits. This season they have increased the prize money. Funny way of downgrading it lol.
Yeah and they have been met with some moaning (Which some of it is justified)

What i should have said they will downgrade it once they find a better solution

Rogg

Post by Rogg » Wed May 31, 2023 4:22 pm

oche balboa wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:19 pm
Rogg wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:15 pm

Yeah and they have been met with some moaning (Which some of it is justified)

What i should have said they will downgrade it once they find a better solution
Maybe Modus could say hi and convert their muck into a PDC secondary tour.
not a girl

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Wed May 31, 2023 4:31 pm

oche balboa wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:17 pm Challenge Tour going will not effect my life so i don't care too much but i think it has value

Hope it helps
The WDF not holding Lakeside will not effect your life either.

Would you care if it was cancelled?

oche balboa

Post by oche balboa » Wed May 31, 2023 10:30 pm

sennafan24 wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:31 pm
oche balboa wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 4:17 pm Challenge Tour going will not effect my life so i don't care too much but i think it has value

Hope it helps
The WDF not holding Lakeside will not effect your life either.

Would you care if it was cancelled?
Well it wasn't held in 2021 and i survived....