World Seniors Darts Championship

Chat and Gossip About Professional Darts and The More Farcical Successors To The BDO
sennafan24

Re: World Senior Darts Championship (Entries List 1st Post & Live On BBC)

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:03 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:01 pmI don’t think he is, it may not be the best choice of phrase, but he is a traditionalist and clearly doesn’t like the razzmatazz of the PDC.
Both can be true.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

ILAD

Post by ILAD » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:05 pm

“Proper darts” lol

And sexy Sue “darts for all”

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:07 pm

sennafan24 wrote:
HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:06 pm And by putting the full quote, it isn’t anything like as bad as what you first put. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Claiming that two of the three greatest players of all-time are "great on their day" is a daft thing to say. Especially if it's accompanied by a shrug.

He was clearly bitter about the PDC's success. He even once claimed that most PDC players were on cocaine - http://www.tsod.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124120#p124120
You are taking as gospel what some poster has put despite any link to any evidence of this whatsoever. I mean that’s quite a statement for someone to make and surely if true, that would have come out in the public domain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

ILAD

Post by ILAD » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:12 pm

David Owen said the Asp was a coke head.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:15 pm

sennafan24 wrote:
HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:01 pmI don’t think he is, it may not be the best choice of phrase, but he is a traditionalist and clearly doesn’t like the razzmatazz of the PDC.
Both can be true.
Ive never watched a BDO now WDF event live ever and am probably unlikely to, but I would say that the people who have will attend these events are more hardcore darts fans. I’ve been to a few PDC ones and will do again, but there does seem to be an element that aren’t particularly bothered about the actual darts.
Still if they have purchased a ticket etc.

‘For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and everyone who humbles himself will be exalted’

sennafan24

Post by sennafan24 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:16 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:07 pm
sennafan24 wrote:
HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:06 pm And by putting the full quote, it isn’t anything like as bad as what you first put. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Claiming that two of the three greatest players of all-time are "great on their day" is a daft thing to say. Especially if it's accompanied by a shrug. He was clearly bitter about the PDC's success. He even once claimed that most PDC players were on cocaine - http://www.tsod.tv/forum/viewtopic.php?p=124120#p124120
You are taking as gospel what some poster has put despite any link to any evidence of this whatsoever. I mean that’s quite a statement for someone to make and surely if true, that would have come out in the public domain. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I recall seeing a quote from Adams in a darts magazine where he said something similar.
HalloweenJack wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:25 am I will debate with anybody on here without becoming indignant and self righteous. I certainly never get angry.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:19 pm

Everyone can say things but Wolfie's actions speak for themselves
Spread positivity and love. BDO4LIFE

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:27 pm

Exactly.
A coward

ILAD

Post by ILAD » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:27 pm

The Thorn wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:19 pm Everyone can say things but Wolfie's actions speak for themselves
His ex will agree.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:36 pm

Randall wrote:Exactly.
A coward
I know you don’t like Adams but I just think he was very loyal to the BDO
I can just envisage Adams coming into your work establishment and he starts laughing at the fact your tea bags are 10p more expensive than his local convenience store. The look on your face would be priceless.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:43 pm

I think Wolfie should be awarded an MBE

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:49 pm

The Thorn wrote:I think Wolfie should be awarded an MRI
won't find a spine mate

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:49 pm

The Thorn wrote:I think Wolfie should be awarded an MBE
Would he laugh uncontrollably when received said award?

The Gronk

Post by The Gronk » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:49 pm

HalloweenJack wrote:
A coward
I can just envisage Adams coming into your work establishment and he starts laughing at the fact your tea bags are 10p more expensive than his local convenience store. The look on your face would be priceless.

Loyal or stubborn with a touch of yellow? Lets be honest, I dont blame him for sticking it out to win the bdo worlds and defending it, but had he switched in 2009 I reckon he would have done ok (as in a solid tour pro) but he stuck around to long and remained bitter/loyal to the point of no return. He will never know what he could have done against the best day in, day out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Randall
Site Admin

Post by Randall » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:50 pm

HalloweenJack wrote:
A coward

Bizarre

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:54 pm

Randall wrote:
HalloweenJack wrote:
A coward

Bizarre
Are your tea bag prices competitive?

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:56 pm

Wolfie had principles in a time when most people didn't. 3 World titles will put his legacy among the best of the game. He didn't do it out of malicious intent, he simply respected the BDO community too much to let it go. It is very human to defend our own herd even against logic.

HalloweenJack

Post by HalloweenJack » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:26 pm

The Thorn wrote:Wolfie had principles in a time when most people didn't. 3 World titles will put his legacy among the best of the game. He didn't do it out of malicious intent, he simply respected the BDO community too much to let it go. It is very human to defend our own herd even against logic.
Swerving off topic, but were you not going to change your avatar to Ross the Boss?

PT13

Post by PT13 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:52 pm

If Martin Adams didn't like the razzmatazz of the PDC, then why was he playing dart tournaments there in the detente period (1997-2001), including on TV in 2000-2001? At the time, the perceived wisdom was that dart players could play on either side of the PDC-BDO divide as they saw fit except that they had to chose whether to play at the Circus Tavern or Lakeside for the World Championship. In July 2001, just before the World Matchplay, Barry Hearn became the new chairman of the PDC. A few months later, Hearn said that in order to play televised PDC dart events in 2002, players would have to play at the Circus Tavern for the 2002 World Championship. This saw the defection of the Skol Six to the Circus Tavern (Steve Beaton, Ronnie Baxter, Chris Mason, Kevin Painter, Andy Jenkins, Paul Williams). Martin Adams refused to join them, and was was clearly infuriated by Hearn's move, voiced in the media at the time. Therefore, after the 2001 World Grand Prix tournament, Adams had nothing to do with the PDC for the next 14 years, until the 2015 Grand Slam.

From the PDC point of view, it's clear that the 1997 Tomlin order was about establishing that their players could ply their trade without being banned from BDO tournaments, county events and exhibitions, and to give the PDC time to build themselves up in a business sense after the financially draining court cases that almost led to bankruptcy. When Barry Hearn changed the rules in late 2001, the PDC was moving up another level, aiming at the establishing the PDC more clearly as the place for the elite (PDC) professional dart players.

The Thorn

Post by The Thorn » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:19 pm

HalloweenJack wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:26 pm
The Thorn wrote:Wolfie had principles in a time when most people didn't. 3 World titles will put his legacy among the best of the game. He didn't do it out of malicious intent, he simply respected the BDO community too much to let it go. It is very human to defend our own herd even against logic.
Swerving off topic, but were you not going to change your avatar to Ross the Boss? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good point.